Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JasYHZ
Topic Author

American Airlines/Worldwide Flight Services

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:21 am

Good Evening All,
I had a conversation today with a passenger who just came off an American Eagle flight from JFK (and he originated in MIA). We were talking about airfares, ticket surcharges etc. and he mentioned he got a great deal with American because his wife works for Worldwide Flight Services in the US. Apparently WWFS is a handling agent for several airlines and American offers friends and family of WWFS employees discounted confirmed space on American Eagle/American. He said it cost him just over USD$300 to get from MIA to YHZ RT this time of the year (when flights are FULL) and they even upgraded him to F on the MIA-JFK leg "because he was connected to the industry and American appreciated his business" (honestly - that's word for word)...

....is this guy full of it? Do these WWFS upgrades happen often? Is there any agreement with WWFS and American? Or did he overhear something and was hoping to get a free upgrade into a 300C out of me?

Thx, Jas
"That's it! You just made the list!"

LAXintl

RE: American Airlines/Worldwide Flight Services

Mon Dec 19, 2005 10:34 am

Worldwide was a spinoff of AMR services hence the connection. At one time AA provided lots of 3rd party handling under the AMR Ground Services banner.

AA sold off this division back in the late 1990s. Worldwide if I remember correctly is now owned by a European party, however maintains its headquarters in Dallas.

Worldwide still works very closely with AA providing handling services at various locations around the world.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

JasYHZ
Topic Author

Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:23 pm

Right you are. I've seen some of the WWFS staff floating around YHZ and never made the connection.

aaway

Mon Dec 19, 2005 5:42 pm

JasYHZ,
The upgrade was probably a mere courtesy. But WWFS does indeed have a program for travel on AA.

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 1):
Worldwide was a spinoff of AMR services hence the connection. At one time AA provided lots of 3rd party handling under the AMR Ground Services banner.

AA sold off this division back in the late 1990s. Worldwide if I remember correctly is now owned by a European party, however maintains its headquarters in Dallas.

Worldwide still works very closely with AA providing handling services at various locations around the world

Lax,
I once worked for AMR Services / WFS. It's now owned by VINCI, the French concern whose primary line of business is construction. AA used to account for 80% of AMR's business. Today, the business has really fragmented with AA, UA, and VS each accounting for about 15% of the total WFS revenues. A fair-sized number of other companies account for smaller percentages of business.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

swissy

Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:11 pm

Aaway,
You are right AMR Ground Services was sold to Vinci back in September 2001
by a US investment company,if I recalled right just few days before that sad day witch changed the Airline industries and world forever.
However all WFS employee still have some very good travel passes with AA
and AE specially around x-mas time when stand by traveling makes no sense
because most of the flights are full.

Cheers,

aaway

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:24 am

Quoting Swissy (Reply 4):
You are right AMR Ground Services was sold to Vinci back in September 2001
by a US investment company

Castle-Harlan was the investment firm. What a horrible experience that was as Castle nearly 'bled the turnip dry'.

Speculation among the managers I used to work for is suggesting that VINCI may be preparing to sell WFS in part, or whole.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

N276AASTT

Tue Dec 20, 2005 2:35 am

Quoting JasYHZ (Thread starter):
a passenger who just came off an American Eagle flight from JFK (and he originated in MIA)

and they even upgraded him to F on the MIA-JFK leg

Huh? Eagle MIA-JFK? First Class?
Dejale Caer tu el Peso! YOMO

swissy

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:45 am

[quote=Aaway,reply=5]Speculation among the managers I used to work for is suggesting that VINCI may be preparing to sell WFS in part, or whole.

It is speculation as there is no prove of it as of now, however never say never
but there are branches of WFS witch are very profitable on his own.
VINCI is a huge european company with over 19 billion annual revenue and I am sure they now what to do.

Cheers,

ckfred

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:13 am

I remember that AMR Ground Services used to handle AA ground services at YYZ back in the late 90s.

malaysia

Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:27 am

too many WFS stations make me think "Pirates of the Caribbean" cause from my experience, I have seen a lot of WFS stations that dont seem to supply uniforms, you just see guys just putting on a safety vest and just working the planes in baggy shorts, jeans, bling bling, and bandannas and speaking another language. Its hilarious. I just cant understand why WFS has went to such low standards
at some places, while some seem to be a bit more organized. Same goes with Evergreen E A G L E, they dont have organized appearance often as well. I dont think a PHL EAGLES jacket and cap counts as a uniform item with Evergreen even its green and says EAGLE.

I had to opt to accept an overbid by Globeground due to the more professional appearance once.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

JasYHZ
Topic Author

Wed Dec 21, 2005 2:37 am

Quoting N276AASTT (Reply 6):
a passenger who just came off an American Eagle flight from JFK (and he originated in MIA)

and they even upgraded him to F on the MIA-JFK leg

Regular AA mainline from MIA to JFK and then American Eagle JFK-YHZ

aaway

Wed Dec 21, 2005 10:21 am

Quoting Swissy (Reply 7):
It is speculation as there is no prove of it as of now, however never say never
but there are branches of WFS witch are very profitable on his own.

VINCI decided to reorganize WFS' business units - operationally and geographically. The performance of some units has outstripped that of others. Seems the underperforming divisions are a drag on the whole. Hence, the speculation.

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 9):
too many WFS stations make me think "Pirates of the Caribbean" cause from my experience, I have seen a lot of WFS stations that dont seem to supply uniforms, you just see guys just putting on a safety vest and just working the planes in baggy shorts, jeans, bling bling, and bandannas and speaking another language. Its hilarious. I just cant understand why WFS has went to such low standards

So many reasons. If I were to synopsize, uniforms were a result of lean budgets (Castle years) and uniform vendor changes. Seems like the uniform vendor contact was bidded yearly. I experienced three changes over three years.
Personnel - I can't speak specifically to your situation. But I'm sure your experinence is similiar to that of most big city airports. Wages/benefits not being competitive with air carriers, or other lines of work. At LAX we benefitted somewhat by the City of LA Living Wage Ordinance as it helped to reduce attrition and attract higher caliber people. Conversely, WFS did/does little to retain good people at the field level. As a result, we get those who couldn't manage anything better, thus, are indifferent. Or, we served as a training ground for those who aspired to employment with an air carrier.

swissy

Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:40 pm

Lets not forget all these former AMR (AA) employees witch had no choice
when there part got sold to the horrible "Castle" and ended up with WFS, under AMR there was no uniform issue but 3 years of draining out WFS by Castle Harlan let VINCI with a big burden of reorganizing everything.

I mean look at GGNA, yes nice uniforms but they could not meet a payment
and had to be bailed out by the French government and today it has a new owner and they are reorganizing like there is no tomorrow.

Lets hope the future is brighter than it was in the past 4 years.

Cheers,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos