Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Markus

RE: CO Looking For New RJ Partner

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:54 pm

I'll make this short...MESA are a bunch of WHORES...quality of service will go down the Sh!tter.
My apologies...good luck XJTers.
-Cheers

masseybrown

Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:32 pm

Quoting A330323X (Reply 98):
US certainly hasn't initiated or renewed anything with Mesa recently.

I thought there was some renewal of a Mesa/Air Midwest contract in August or Sept before the merger. You are certainly knowledgeable in US's affairs, however; so I'm delighted to defer to you.

apodino

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:08 pm

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 97):
Working in the industry may be rewarding, if you don't count money as a reward.

Well lets see, I am single, I live with no roommate, and pay the rent and the other bills all by myself, not to mention student loans, and still am able to live a lifestyle that few others. If I was paid low, then I couldn't do all these things.

That being said, these low wages are going to ruin the industry, because people are going to stop flying when they keep getting mistreated and the like.

A330323X

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:14 pm

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 101):
I thought there was some renewal of a Mesa/Air Midwest contract in August or Sept before the merger. You are certainly knowledgeable in US's affairs, however; so I'm delighted to defer to you.

The Air Midwest flying is indeed sticking around, it's the Mesa RJ flying they got rid of.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

Tornado82

Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:24 pm

Quoting OOer (Reply 99):
Why would the product deteriorate if Skywest picked up the expressjet flying?

3 Letters: CRJ

Quoting A330323X (Reply 103):

The Air Midwest flying is indeed sticking around,

Until they get out-bid on the rest of their EAS... which is happening slowly but surely. Kinda felt nostalgic last night when I drove up Pierpont Rd. in MGW and saw one of the B1900's on approach over the canyon.

apodino

Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:58 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 104):

3 Letters: CRJ

Why do you hate the CRJ so much? The ERJ is not much better. In fact, the ERJ is more cramped than the CRJ, and the cabin isn't as spacious. I can cross my legs in the CRJ, something I can't do with the lack of room in the ERJ. Also there is more overhead storage in the CRJ than the ERJ, though you still have to gate check bags. Plus I have no place to put my feet in the ERJ. If I am on the side with one seat, with only 10 inches or so of footroom, I have to put my feet in the aisle to be comfortable, and then have the flight attendant tell me to move them back so passengers and the galley cart can get through. If I am on the otherside, I am fighting with they guy next to me for footroom, and I can never be comfortable. Maybe its just me, but I haven't really liked the ERJ ever since I flew it on America West with Chautauqua years ago, and was not comfortable even on a plane with 6 people. And I am a pretty tall person so leg room does mean something. Of course I am speaking from a passengers point of view and not a dispatchers. I have no idea how the ERJ is to dispatch, but the CRJ can be a problem on full flights. 2/3's full, no problem. Also note that many of the express flights are no where near being full, so the probably is high that you can get a whole row to yourself with more room. And remember this much, the 170 cabin is only a couple of inches wider than a CRJ cabin. You should try us sometime Tornado. You speak very highly of us as a regional carrier don't give your money to a carrier that you think has worse service just because we don't fly the ERJ. That was not a decision that any of us had control over.

That being said I don't think ERJ's will leave CO's fleet. Either it will be an existing operator, or someone will add the type to the certificate and fly it. I don't see any new operator getting all the old FLYI CRJ's out of the desert. Of course I could be wrong, and we could be seeing a lot of ERJ's in the desert pretty soon.

ATWZW170

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:47 am

If CO and OO have a great relationship, then why did they drop OO from their CO Ex flying in IAH and replace them with crappy Colgan?

Apodino, Not that you have to tell me, but have we ever met? You know I work for ZW in PHL......and obviously you are a pilot...just trying to put a face to the name.
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

apodino

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting ATWZW170 (Reply 106):
Apodino, Not that you have to tell me, but have we ever met? You know I work for ZW in PHL......and obviously you are a pilot...just trying to put a face to the name.

FYI I am not a pilot, I am a dispatcher. You probably see my name on several releases for flights you do, and I may have spoken to you on the phone before. I get out on the line a lot too, and try to meet as many of you guys as I can.

ChiGB1973

Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:01 am

Maybe FlyI can negotiate something in the next week.

M

ATWZW170

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:03 am

Oh god, please don't let that happen...just let them slip quietly into the night...the regional airlines need to be thinned out, too many!
Success is getting what you want...happiness is liking what you get

Gilligan

Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:09 am

Quoting Garri767 (Reply 45):
YES! this means IAH-AMA will most likely be served with 737 etc.!! I got sick of those erj145s!

Quoting Toxtethogrady (Reply 46):
The airline with nine (count-'em, nine!) RJ roundtrips a day IAH-BNA is going to deign to fly a 737 IAH-AMA? Cool thought, but it will never happen...

Quoting Garri767 (Reply 67):
okay for those who keep mocking me, CO has been adding more flights all the time, id say about 4 737s would appeal to them more then 12 erj145s....but hey, i am probably wrong, id just like to see 737 here that ARENT WN for once.

How many moons have gone by since CO talked about parking the 735's because they were cost inefficient? Not that many by my calendar so I'd be surprised if they started putting mainline back on rj routes with the possible exception of cities like MCO, PHX, DEN, and maybe a few more that would support 733's.

Quoting AirRyan (Reply 80):
I must admit that I too have seen at NW that too many bean counters is not nescessarily a good thing for a commerical airline; sometimes you have let common sense dictate your decisions and not let a bag of pinto beans always be your ultimate deciding factor.

Too many bean counters in charge of any business is a bad thing. Take a look at the state of radio today. Cross country cookie cutter stations thanks to bean counters. One of the reasons I bailed on that industry. On the other hand, I wonder how the BTA pilots are loving that new contract now? Guess they'll have to change their motto, now make it real pilots, less jets!

In all seriousness I hope the two sides can work things out. Three in a bed is only good for a one night stand!  crowded 
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

FCYTravis

Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:24 am

Not to take this thread even further off-track, but where's the Mesa West-"East" 90-seater flying come in? Is it just contractually repositioned aircraft as a stop-gap until US can get the E190s?
USAir A321 service now departing for SFO with fuel stops in CAK, COS and RNO. Enjoy your flight.

ikramerica

Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:37 am

Quoting Apodino (Reply 105):
In fact, the ERJ is more cramped than the CRJ, and the cabin isn't as spacious.

where are your "facts" from?

both are cramped. CRJ700/900 improved things, but the CRJ100/200 are not more spacious than the ERJ. And many like the ERJ due to the single A seat.

What I dislike about the ERJ are the rock hard seats. No reason for this either. More cushioning in the seat bottom would do nothing to pitch or weight. Cushioning comes from adding air to the foam, and last time I checked, air doesn't weigh anything when surrounded by more air...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Lemurs

Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:10 pm

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 110):
Too many bean counters in charge of any business is a bad thing. Take a look at the state of radio today. Cross country cookie cutter stations thanks to bean counters. One of the reasons I bailed on that industry. On the other hand, I wonder how the BTA pilots are loving that new contract now? Guess they'll have to change their motto, now make it real pilots, less jets!

No offense or anything, but the problem with radio is that it's a relatively dead medium now. People have so many places to get their entertainment that radio is at the bottom of the scale. This will become more and more problematic in the future. It has nothing to do with bean counting...they're just trying to make a dying medium profitable...it was dying before they got there.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Gilligan

Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:16 pm

Quoting Lemurs (Reply 113):
it was dying before they got there.

No offense taken but good entertainment will always draw a crowd, especially when it's free. Back in the "old" days when the threebie rule was in effect you had great programmers, promotions, and talent vying like warriors for ratings in every book and it made for great radio. Now with the 50% rule, one corp owns the city and radio is relegated to what you describe. I live in Houston and the morning talent here is just incredibly abysmal.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever, I'm going to Texas!

antoniemey

Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:02 am

Quoting Gilligan (Reply 114):
Now with the 50% rule, one corp owns the city and radio is relegated to what you describe. I live in Houston and the morning talent here is just incredibly abysmal.

Here in BNA they have 3 or 4 different companies and some very good personalities... but then, what else would you expect in Music City?

Bean counters aren't necessarily bad so long as they're counting the RIGHT beans. That applies with airlines AND radio.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

luv2fly

Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 36):
Well, this Continental customer actually likes ExpressJet, the ERJ-145, and CLE. The product is *seamless*. The only way you know that you aren't on a Continental flight is because the flight attendant says so. The uniforms, the livery, the crew mannerisms -- it's all Continental.

This same Continental customer has an aversion to the CRJ. I don't like the way it feels, and I surely don't like its windows.

Continental may be rattling sabers; it may genuinely be trying to cut costs. Whatever they're doing, I hope the keep ExpressJet.

I have to agree with the above! It is hard to tell the difference between mainline and regional when it comes to Continental, now other carriers it is so evident.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Tornado82

Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:42 am

You should try us sometime Tornado. You speak very highly of us as a regional carrier don't give your money to a carrier that you think has worse service just because we don't fly the ERJ. That was not a decision that any of us had control over.

Sorry for the late response... was AFK over the New Year.

You work for AWAC, right? I've been on you guys quite a few times. OKC-ORD-ABE, IAD-ABE, and others when you were still flying more significantly for United. You guys are great... but now you're with US... and US options from ABE for my routes aren't optimum. Either go to PHL and get screwed up somehow, go to PIT on the long-ass Colgan Saab ride, and CLT is usually too far out of the way/expensive. In your defense, I'll will say that the UA service around here now that Mess-a took over is different and not for the better... and more Colgan Saabs, this time to IAD.

ExpressJet/CO are my favorite carriers... but the ERJ is just one of the many reasons I like them.

FATFlyer

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:01 am

In fact, the ERJ is more cramped than the CRJ

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 112):
both are cramped. CRJ700/900 improved things, but the CRJ100/200 are not more spacious than the ERJ.

How about a few numbers to help you guys. They are really not that different in terms of the seats.

CoEx ERJ-145
31.0" pitch 17.3" width - 50 seats
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Con...ental_Airlines_Embraer_ERJ-145.php

UAX CRJ
31.0" pitch 17.0" width - 50 seats
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Uni...s/United_Airlines_Canadair_CRJ.php
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

UN_B732

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:03 am

If an airline has to assume the lease of those 69 aircraft, could it be Trans-States (TSA)? An operator of ERJs that could use the growth?
Their pretty lousy.. but they get the job done.

BTW: I don't fully understand the CO > ExpressJet agreement. Can someone explain it in simple words (who the aircraft are owned by, how it works, what happens with agreements, etc.)
-Mr. X
What now?

A330323X

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:13 am

Quoting FCYTravis (Reply 111):
Not to take this thread even further off-track, but where's the Mesa West-"East" 90-seater flying come in? Is it just contractually repositioned aircraft as a stop-gap until US can get the E190s?

It has nothing to do with the former USX-Mesa flying. They're birds from the HPX-Mesa flying that HP was obligated to keep; they then moved them out east, both to replace US 737s that were being returned, and because the yields are much better on the east coast than the west coast right now.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 112):
What I dislike about the ERJ are the rock hard seats. No reason for this either. More cushioning in the seat bottom would do nothing to pitch or weight. Cushioning comes from adding air to the foam, and last time I checked, air doesn't weigh anything when surrounded by more air...

That has nothing to do with the ERJ or CRJ, but how the operator decided to configure their aircraft. Chautauqua, for example, has very nice seats on their ERJs; Mesa, on the other hand, has hard seats on their CRJs.
I'm the expert on here on two things, neither of which I care about much anymore.

ikramerica

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:19 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 120):
That has nothing to do with the ERJ or CRJ

well, yes and no. there are only a few seat choices available for the ERJ, none of them as thick as a mainline seat for various reasons including curvature of fuselage, structure, weight, etc. But adding a little foam couldn't hurt. at least, it wouldn't hurt me.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Tornado82

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:49 am

Quoting A330323X (Reply 120):
Mesa, on the other hand, has hard seats on their CRJs.

And let's not forget those few old CRJ's AWAC still has floating around, with that hard blue vinyl seating. The vinyl itself is so hard it negates the cushioning in the seats. I mentioned them one other time here on A.net, because they reminded me of the seats of the old old El Camino my grandfather had when I was about 5 years old... I was told by some AWAC-ers that they came from another airline second hand who opted for those seats... I forget who the other airline was now.

apodino

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:01 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 122):
And let's not forget those few old CRJ's AWAC still has floating around, with that hard blue vinyl seating. The vinyl itself is so hard it negates the cushioning in the seats. I mentioned them one other time here on A.net, because they reminded me of the seats of the old old El Camino my grandfather had when I was about 5 years old... I was told by some AWAC-ers that they came from another airline second hand who opted for those seats... I forget who the other airline was now.

Midway Airlines, JI, the one that was based in Raleigh-Durham with the F100's

toxtethogrady

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:27 am

"Just to clarify, in order to get larger aircraft on property of any regional airline to fly under the Continental Banner, it would require CAL pilots to restructure their scope. According to CAL pilots, that will not happen unless it would be in the form of a flow-through agreement in which pilots coming from a CAL operated regional carrier would flow up to these 70 to 90 seat aircraft in which then flow to CAL. That most likely would never happen."

It would with a more enlightened managament. Larry needs to give up on the idea that he can cheapskate on the larger RJ's. They are losing money flying 50-seaters just to use the low-wage crews.

toxtethogrady

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:37 am

"Now he's gone, and Larrys running the show - he's too much of a bean counter rather than somebody as calculated as between, but that's beside the point."

Larry is penny-wise but pound foolish. Mainline loads are up, Houston's been going great guns, but all of the additional seats have been on RJ's. And they are doing everything in their power to assure that the airline and the employee groups will never reach consensus on the 70-seat and 90-seat jets.

Of course, Larry still has to explain paying $2.08 for a gallon of Jet A when the spot price was $1.75.

toxtethogrady

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:43 am

"Hey, when you have more beans going OUT the door than coming IN, and it's costing far too many beans to fuel the planes, and more beans going to the government, I'll take the master beancounter."

Only to do the bean counting. The guy at the top running the show had better be a good marketer and an exceptional leader. Larry can cut the cost but he knows nothing about bringing in the revenue.

toxtethogrady

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:50 am

"How many moons have gone by since CO talked about parking the 735's because they were cost inefficient?"

The 735 is cost inefficient only because CO negotiated bad terms on the lease for the aircraft and has regretted it ever since. CO also appears to have negotiated bad terms on the X-Jet contract. Now that the terms on both the lease and the RJ contract are up, CO could save some money. But Larry needs to approach this from the standpoint of earning some money as opposed to minimizing the losses.

ContnlEliteCMH

Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 102):
Well lets see, I am single, I live with no roommate, and pay the rent and the other bills all by myself, not to mention student loans, and still am able to live a lifestyle that few others. If I was paid low, then I couldn't do all these things.

Sure you could. It's only been recently that I've made a lot of money. On a much smaller salary, I purchased two homes (and still own both), furnished our primary residence, *and* managed to put away about $7500/year.

My guess is that you make less now than I did then. And you make far, far less than I do right now. The definition of "low" is not really defined by whether or not you can pay your bills. People on the dole can pay their bills. Low is a comparative term, and my statement is completely true: the airline industry pays peanuts to a vast majority of its people.

Furthermore, the highly structured nature of its workforce makes small any chance to substantially increase wages. Don't tell me that a raise from $34,000/year to $40,000/year is a big increase; if you think it is, I suggest a little reflection on your financial goals is in order. And it's not like you can pick a high-paying role in the airline and decided to move to it. If you're not a pilot, you aren't going to become one. And a statistically insignificant percentage of employees are senior management, or will ever be senior management. Chances are that the income you make at the airline is much closer to its possible peak than you want to admit.

As I said: it pays squat. Rewarding, perhaps. But lucrative? Nope.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

apodino

Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:21 pm

Perhaps you forget that people in my very position make over six digit salaries at many airlines.

Danny

Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:53 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 85):
I hope ExpressJet stockholders sue the crap out of Continental for this. Continental gave birth to XJT and now they're trying to kill it.

Huh? All Continental wants from XJT is to pay rates for regional flying comparable to other carriers. If XJT does not want to accept it it's only their decision. Perhaps they should recall Atlantic Coast Airlines case?

flyXJT

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:44 am

XJTs rates are competitive to that of the other regionals - within $5 per block hour of most of who is going to bid on the flying. CO is looking right now to push the rates lower than ever before, for any regional, and I'm sure Johnny O wouldn't pass up flying for Mesa, even at a loss.
Besides that, it seems like nobody else here is putting the two and two together. How many times have you seen that CO is looking for more, bigger, and better props? I can recall at least 3 or 4 threads and publications. This is the only way CO could legally reduce the XJT flying, and Im willing to bet that if any of the flying does get backfilled, it will be props only.
You can't believe what either CO or XJT put out right now, as they are still in negotiations, and the war of words is as part of the process as the meetings itself. It is nice to see, however, that both CO and XJT employees can see through this and are taking the high road and putting on the blinders so they can continue to do the award-winning work that they do every single day.
Only time will tell what really happens. I can find numerous reports from Reuters, Yahoo, etc, that say a variety of things from Mesa taking it all to XJT and CO reconciling and nothing happening at all...sometimes even the analysts know as little as we do, and I'm sure as of this moment, the companies themselves are unsure of what's going to happen.

Personally, Im more curious to see what happens with this: http://expressjeteurope.com

p

[Edited 2006-01-02 18:44:41]

Tornado82

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting FlyXJT (Reply 131):
and Im willing to bet that if any of the flying does get backfilled, it will be props only.

Good! Q-400's. Tons of routes out of EWR/CLE would be better (more efficiently) flown with those.

RAMPRAT980

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:53 am

Quoting FlyXJT (Reply 131):
Personally, Im more curious to see what happens with this: http://expressjeteurope.com

Wow if XJT expands into Europe and they still remain with CO, hopefully my pass travel privileges can be used in Europe.

XJT is a very good product and anyone who flies on a Continental Airlines RJ would never know that they were operated by another company.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

toxtethogrady

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:59 am

"Huh? All Continental wants from XJT is to pay rates for regional flying comparable to other carriers."

Continental birthed X-Jet, complete with the current contract. If there is anything in the prospectus that would lead shareholders to conclude that CO would maintain a profitable relationship with X-Jet over the long term, the shareholders would have every reason to cry fraud. CO would not be subject to questions about their motives if they had not needed to generate cash from the sale of X-Jet stock, then attempted through contract to decrease the value of those shares once they were in the hands of shareholders. In fact, if X-Jet were still wholly owned by CO, they could set whatever terms they wanted on the RJ flying...subject to approval of the employee groups. So someone will find a reason to litigate, and they might win if their lawyers are clever enough.

RAMPRAT980

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:43 pm

Ok folks this may be a dopey question but I felt that it should be asked. Since CO started XJT and then sold it off to raise some cash would it be possible that they(CO) start up another CO express ?

Like I said its just a question
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos