Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

burnsie28
Topic Author

Southwest Inagural Flight Activities

Thu Dec 29, 2005 4:58 am

Hi All,
I am booked on WN's first flight out of Denver. I was just wondering what kind of stuff WN does if anything for inagural flights out of cities? Has anybody been on an inagural flight or such out of a new city. I wouldnt imagine anything that was just a new city destination from a city, but since DEN is a new city, just curious as to what might go on if anything.

Thanks,
Burnsie28

NIKV69

RE: Southwest Inagural Flight Activities

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:05 am

Well let's see, you may see the following.

A drunk pax being told he can't fly and acting like a total idiot.

Someone getting to the gate late and being told they can't board after the door is closed.

WN offering you a $200 flight voucher to give up your seat since they oversold the flight to death.

Besides that enjoy the flight!

Not too change the subject but is it true Airline is being cancelled? I heard that rumor couple of days ago.

Seriously I have no idea if they will do anything special, I doubt you will have the care package on every seat like when Maxjet had their inaugural flight.  biggrin 
I am the Googlizer!!!

OPNLguy

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:10 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):
Not too change the subject but is it true Airline is being cancelled? I heard that rumor couple of days ago.

A&E reportedly doesn't want it for a 4th season, but the producers are said to be shopping it around for broadcast on another channel/network.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

fxramper

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:11 am

I bet you get some peanuts!  bouncy 

burnsie28
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:18 am

Well I know what a normal flight is like I have flown WN before, im looking for special activities at the airport if any.

fxramper

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:22 am

Chris.

I'm guessing you'll get some sort of souvenir unique to the flight...a shirt, hat, pin, etc. Maybe even some bubbly to celebrate inaugural service to DEN on WN! When is the flight and where from? Let us know how it goes!

Drew.

burnsie28
Topic Author

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:25 am

The flight is January 3rd from Denver-Las Vegas 7:05am departure.

nosedive

Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:35 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Thread starter):
I was just wondering what kind of stuff WN does if anything for inagural flights out of cities?

DLKAPA and I will probably argue who gets the window and who gets tossed out of the plane...that count?

S12PPL

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:03 am

You'll get peanuts, stupid songs by the F/A's, drunk pax being DB'd, someone desperate to get home, so they'll start asking for volunteers since the flight is over sold, and maybe a water cannon salute? Oh, and an A&E camera crew there with some of the LAX "stars" to boost popularity. You might get to be on TV!
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

F27XXX

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:20 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 2):
Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 1):

A&E reportedly doesn't want it for a 4th season, but the producers are said to be shopping it around for broadcast on another channel/network.

It's time for tht show to be gone - - how many more times can we watch the same boring WN stuff over and over and over.

Now, if they switched their focus to a different carrier -- or to just an airport in general and went back and forth between scenes at different airlines - particularly if it were an international gateway - then I'd watch again.

We saw pretty much everything there was to see on "Airline" in the very first few episodes. Drunk pax at BWI, oversale in MDW, misconnects in BNA, hillbillies in LAS heading back home to TN ..

BOOOOORRRRRRING!!!
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

S12PPL

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:27 am

Don't forget more drunk pax at LAX!!

Smile
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

DLKAPA

Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:31 am

Quoting S12PPL (Reply 8):
since the flight is over sold

Judging by the fact that I just got a $50 credit after paying only $130 in the first place, I'd say that's probably not the case  Wink
And all at once the crowd begins to sing: Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same

NIKV69

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:00 pm

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 2):

Interesting. I admit that show has lost it's draw for me, I watch an episode once in a blue now. I am a big fan of A&E but that show has just got too boring. Wonder if anyone will pick it up.
I am the Googlizer!!!

quickmover

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:46 pm

Just curious about the DEN start up on JAN 3. Will the planes be ferried in on the night of Jan 2 for a start on Jan 3 or will there be flights with passengers inbound on Jan 2 that will overnight here and start service from DEN the next day?

OPNLguy

Thu Dec 29, 2005 11:57 pm

Aircraft will ferry in the day/night before.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

nosedive

Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:20 am

Quoting Quickmover (Reply 13):
Will the planes be ferried in on the night of Jan 2 for a start on Jan 3 or will there be flights with passengers inbound on Jan 2 that will overnight here and start service from DEN the next day?

From what I've heard, the ferry flights will be full of WN employees. Anyone at WN confirm?

Manta

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:23 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Thread starter):
I was just wondering what kind of stuff WN does if anything for inagural flights out of cities?

I don't know, but I'm waiting to see what they are going to do for the inagural flight out of ORD  Smile

apodino

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:32 am

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 12):
Interesting. I admit that show has lost it's draw for me, I watch an episode once in a blue now. I am a big fan of A&E but that show has just got too boring. Wonder if anyone will pick it up.

What they need to do is go behind the scenes more to see what really happens. Now have one crew spend an day in an Airlines SOC, you will see what I mean. Showing what happens for CS and with the customers, anyone can see that at the airport. But how often does the public know about behind the scenes, like a sick call and Crew Scheduling having to scramble to find a reserve crew, or crews being rerouted to cover everything, plane swaps for broke airplanes, dispatch delaying flights due to weather. Thats the stuff that no customer knows about and takes for granted, yet if you see it actually work, you will see just how difficult and hard it can be at times to keep the airline close to on time. Public thinks its easy and gets mad when their flights delayed. Lets show you what happens when we have 500 flights a day to worry about, and about 15 employees in SOC to make sure everything is running smoothly. I think the public would respect us a lot more when they see that.

swadispatcher

Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:11 pm

All of the flights on the 3rd to/from DEN are packed! I don't think I ever recall seeing a new city opening with all of the flights full on the first day..
Maintain 2300 until Boiler, cleared for the VOR-A approach, report BATLE inbound..

ntspelich

Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:23 pm

I'm not going to say much, since I'm really not at liberty to do so, but I think that a few other WN insiders here will agree with me that we have some pretty interesting plans in store already for DEN. Don't know if it'll be PHL sized growth, but I know of a couple of flight additions in the not-so-distant future after we open the station.

NTS

PS If anyone cares, BDL lost all power at the airport this evening, making if a fun night for us at BWI waiting for those last two turns to MCO.
United 717 heavy, you're facing the wrong way. Any chance you can powerback to get off of my deice pad?

yanksn4

Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:37 pm

Read in the RMN a few days ago that WN handed out ski hats and etc. here in Denver to build up the presence of the airline. Also, didnt the inauguration of Philly come with Kellher rolling toilet paper down the jetway or something?

signed,
Matthew
Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

piercey

Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:55 pm

Quoting Ntspelich (Reply 19):
PS If anyone cares, BDL lost all power at the airport this evening, making if a fun night for us at BWI waiting for those last two turns to MCO.

have fun, make sure to have the camera crews at the ready!  Smile
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

quickmover

Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:04 pm

"I'm not going to say much, since I'm really not at liberty to do so, but I think that a few other WN insiders here will agree with me that we have some pretty interesting plans in store already for DEN. Don't know if it'll be PHL sized growth, but I know of a couple of flight additions in the not-so-distant future after we open the station. "

MCI or STL???????????????????????

lincoln

Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:52 pm

Quoting NIKV69 (Reply 12):

Apodino kind of beat me to it (and quoted the exact same bit of text)... But the producers really limited themselves by focusing [virtually] entirely on the pax/human interest component. It would be a much more interesting show, to me at least, if they focused more on the parts of the operation that you can't see, some examples being

- What goes on in the SOC (I'd practically kill for a tour of an airline's SOC...at least give it to me on TV!)
- Following a bag from when it is checked to when it is picked up at the other end. And I mean entirely (conveyor belts, baggage carts, TSA, and all).
- What happens when an aircraft is in for MX ("a day in the life of a mechanic," if you will)
- Similar to #1, follow a flight from inception (i.e. when the first paperwork is generated) through termination (i.e. pulling up at the jetway at the other end and compleation of any paperwork) and all of the hand-offs that take place

Well, you get my drift... I was sick of drunk pax/misconnects/people going to competitions in Las Vegas after season 1, and really sick of it after season 2, now I hang on just on the off chance that I'll see something like I listed above... Though a recent episode where one of the supes picked up a pax from a hotel was nice (CO never goes that for me!  Wink)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

burnsie28
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:10 pm

Quoting Ntspelich (Reply 19):
but I think that a few other WN insiders here will agree with me that we have some pretty interesting plans in store already for DEN.

Do you know if the celebration will be before the first flights out at 7:05am?

And if your talking about OAK and SAN most of us already know about that here in Colorado.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos