Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ORD747CLE
Topic Author

Any New Carriers To ORD On The Horizon?

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:09 am

I noticed there was a Quantas charter plane yesterday at ORD and was wondering if anyone out there knew of any new airlines planning service here.

Virgin Atlantic?
Quantas?
Thai?

Ord747Cle

jsnww81

RE: Any New Carriers To ORD On The Horizon?

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:29 am

My humble opinions - not rooted in any fact, just speculation:

MA: Several years ago there was talk of Malev starting service to the Chicago area. At the time, they actually negotiated with Rockford more than they did with ORD. However, now that Malev is joining oneworld, I wouldn't be surprised if they inaugurated a Chicago service to connect with American's hub. I'm not sure if they can spare another 767, however.

VS: I doubt we'll see Virgin Atlantic back in Chicago. They didn't do well on their London route back in 2000-2001 - too much established competition from BA/AA/UA.

TG: Thai is a possibility, especially as they get more long-haul aircraft. I'm not sure how their nonstop BKK-JFK is doing... if it isn't successful, the chances of BKK-ORD are pretty slim.

EK: Emirates just went double-daily on their JFK route, and their aggressive expansion leads me to believe we'll see them at ORD eventually. They've indicated Chicago is on their long list of future destinations, although I think San Francisco was listed as a more immediate priority. Now that Kuwait Airways is pulling out of Chicago, we may move up on Emirates' list.

QF: If Qantas ever decides to serve an inland US city (which is doubtful) I'd guess they'll serve DFW before ORD, simply because of aircraft range issues.

OS: There was talk on here a few months ago that Austrian is strongly considering a return to Chicago. I wouldn't mind seeing the new colors at Terminal 5!

SU: I would love to see Aeroflot come back. Now that they're looking into alliances (have they joined one yet?) we may see them return, but I'd say it's a small chance.

AY: The 757 doesn't have the range for ORD-HEL and their longhaul birds are flying to Asia and JFK. A oneworld connection to Scandinavia would be nice (instead of having to transit LHR) but I think SK has the Chicago-Scandinavia market cornered.

SQ: They flew to Chicago before 9/11, but it was a tag service via Europe. As they get more long-range aircraft we may show up on their radar again - but again, it's a long shot.

LA: United flies to GRU, but nobody else from South America serves Chicago. LAN might be able to make a Santiago-ORD or Lima-ORD work, but I think they prefer routing everyone through Miami or LAX. I'm also not sure if they have any spare longhaul equipment these days.

That's my speculative list. We're losing Kuwait Airways, although we did get Asiana in the last few months. I'm keeping a careful eye on BMI - although their ORD-MAN route is rumored to be very successful, they seem to add and drop routes all the time. AeroMexico is also coming back, if I remember correctly.

Trvlr

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:35 am

I believe ANA is coming back next summer. Not sure if there has been a press release yet, though.

Aaron G.

apodino

Sat Dec 31, 2005 3:45 am

I think B6 is a real possibility. There will be gate space freeing up in terminal 2 on the E concourse as result of both DH going belly up, and HP likely consolidating with US. Now keep in mind both carriers currently share gates with CO, but CO doesn't need all those gates either.

jacobin777

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:08 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 1):
VS: I doubt we'll see Virgin Atlantic back in Chicago. They didn't do well on their London route back in 2000-2001 - too much established competition from BA/AA/UA.

their loads were actually good, but after 9/11, they started to retire some planes and use their precious LHR slots for other routes...they do want to come back to ORD and YYZ..

but that's the problem with VS..they hav too big of a plane..they need some A330's....

with Virgin America taking off, they might potentially have a feeder service also...this might be of help to them....

SQ: They flew to Chicago before 9/11, but it was a tag service via Europe. As they get more long-range aircraft we may show up on their radar again - but again, it's a long shot.

checkmark ....i wouldn't mind seeing some -200LR's @ ORD... biggrin 

Quoting Apodino (Reply 3):
I think B6 is a real possibility. There will be gate space freeing up in terminal 2 on the E concourse as result of both DH going belly up, and HP likely consolidating with US. Now keep in mind both carriers currently share gates with CO, but CO doesn't need all those gates either.

I had downloaded a .pdf (cant' remember which website, but it was a government one) about B6 applying for gates @ ORD....this was back in 2003-2003, but I dont' know what has happened since... no 
"Up the Irons!"

SLUAviator

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:24 am

If Qantas ever decides to serve an inland US city

QF was supposed to start service to ORD in late spring 2003. They had ads out and were selling tickets. They even had ads in the St. Louis newspaper right before I graduated from college in May 03. I even met the lady who was going to run the station at T-5. They never started service because of the whole mess in Iraq and SARS.
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

Kahala777

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:26 am

Quoting ORD747CLE (Thread starter):
Quantas

Q A N T A S

TG: Thai is a possibility, especially as they get more long-haul aircraft. I'm not sure how their nonstop BKK-JFK is doing... if it isn't successful, the chances of BKK-ORD are pretty slim.

Thai has been cutting capacity and frequency to North America. Thai AIrways has not seen the results that they want or need. Thai Airways is focused on New York and Los Angeles.

Singapore Airlines left Chicago around the same time that they left Las Vegas. The two airports had very different demographics. While Chicago went out full in Economy, Business went out near empty. While Las Vegas went out full in Business, Economy went out near empty. Singapore Airlines will indeed add more routes to North America. However, the likes of Washington and Toronto are higher priorites for them at this point.

KAHALA777

BigGSFO

Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:56 am

Probably most likely will be B6 and a handful of international flights. Perhaps MA or AY to feed-off of AA's hub. If AA doesn't make the leap into ORD-HKG perhaps we will see CX operate the route.

To be honest, IMO, ORD doesn't need any more flights - they need less, at least until the improvements/expansions are completed. Otherwise the delays are just going to get worse.

ORD Boy 2

Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:51 am

My guess is that JetBlue will eventually start service to ORD.
I know from a friend who works there that Saudi Arabian would like to come to Chicago eventually.
I think Virgin Atlantic will eventually return but I dont know about the timetable for that.
ANA will return
I think MALEV and Aeroflot will once they join oneworld and SkyTeam respectively.
Cathay Pacific and Emirates is likely. I also think Air China, China Eastern (their sign is still up at T5), EVA Air and China Airlines are likely to join the fun at ORD!!!
I read on the O'Hare Wikipedia article that Oasis Hong Kong Airlines is starting service to Chicago next year if anyone could confirm that.
Austrian, Qantas and SIA could come as well but who knows on that.
Thai - It depends on how JFK-BKK does
What does anyone think about ANZ, SAA (through MIA), Icelandair, Finnair, VARIG, LAN and TAP starting/restarting services?

I personally would like to see more service to compete with LY on the ORD-TLV route but thats just me!

md90fan

Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:59 am

SU: I would love to see Aeroflot come back. Now that they're looking into alliances (have they joined one yet?) we may see them return, but I'd say it's a small chance.

I think it was SkyTeam they were looking at
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

BH346

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:20 am

Although I haven't seen an official press release yet, I believe an ANA exec stated that they have decided to reinstate NRT-ORD in 2006 in an interview with a newspaper in Japan.
Northwest Airlines - Some People Just Know How to Fly

andaman

Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:22 am

My humble opinions - not rooted in any fact, just speculation:

AY: The 757 doesn't have the range for ORD-HEL and their longhaul birds are flying to Asia and JFK. A oneworld connection to Scandinavia would be nice (instead of having to transit LHR) but I think SK has the Chicago-Scandinavia market cornered.

I think the range would not be the problem, I quess 757 could make a fuel stop in Halifax, like AY's winter holiday flights to MIA.
But I wouldn't make that trip on AY's 757, I wish AY would separate these holiday flights (all AY's 757 flights are like that) from the "real thing", I think it's confusing and not good for the brand.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

amirs

Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:40 am

ORD - TLV might go nonstop this spring

MAH4546

Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:49 am

Quoting Andaman (Reply 11):
I think the range would not be the problem, I quess 757 could make a fuel stop in Halifax, like AY's winter holiday flights to MIA.

Yes, but there is a significant difference in the demographics between the MIA passengers and ORD passengers, the latter which would be largely connecting. A fuel stop would be a big no-no. Finnair customers aren't very happy with the downgrade from the MD11 to the 757 on the MIA route this year. It is scheduled to return to an MD11 next winter, though, hopefully.

Quoting Amirs (Reply 12):

Latest I have heard is that MIA might go non-stop this May, but O'Hare will wait due to aircraft constraints. Things are constantly changing at El Al with the MIA/ORD routes. Both were supposed to be going non-stop this winter. Though El Al is upgrading ORD to a 744 starting in March, IIRC.
a.

Cubsrule

Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:07 am

LA: United flies to GRU, but nobody else from South America serves Chicago. LAN might be able to make a Santiago-ORD or Lima-ORD work, but I think they prefer routing everyone through Miami or LAX. I'm also not sure if they have any spare longhaul equipment these days.

There's surely not the O&D there, and to the degree that they would rely on connections, they'd largely be cannibalizing existing service at DFW and MIA. I think SCL is, for a city of its size, served quite well from the States now. IMHO, if LA came to Chicago, it would likely be ORD-LIM-SCL. For now, this discussion is largely moot as longhaul equipment is indeed a problem- especially as the LAN group (potentially) starts more longhaul out of EZE.

Quoting Apodino (Reply 3):
I think B6 is a real possibility. There will be gate space freeing up in terminal 2 on the E concourse as result of both DH going belly up, and HP likely consolidating with US.

All 5 HP/DH/CO gates belong to CO. There's no way they'd give 1 up for B6.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

apodino

Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:13 am

But do they really need 5 gates with their ops in ORD? There is no way. So, given that, if I am chicago aviation department, I tell CO and NW for that matter, either use them or lose them.

Cubsrule

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:03 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 15):
So, given that, if I am chicago aviation department, I tell CO and NW for that matter, either use them or lose them.

Legally, how do you suggest going about that? Is there a usage clause in the leases about which I am unaware?
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

airportplan

Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:47 pm

Quoting Apodino (Reply 15):
But do they really need 5 gates with their ops in ORD? There is no way. So, given that, if I am chicago aviation department, I tell CO and NW for that matter, either use them or lose them.

NW and CO have exclusive use gate agreements with the Chicago Department of Aviation through 2018.

http://www.flychicago.com/doa/bussin...reements/Continental%20Airline.pdf

http://www.flychicago.com/doa/bussin/agreements/Northwest.pdf

Until these lease agreements expires CO and NW can use their gates as they please. When gate leases at ORD expire all new gate leases are preferential use leases (use them or lose them leases). B6 has stated that it wants at least 2-3 exclusive use gates to begin service ORD. Unless a major carrier at ORD goes Chapter 7 this won't happen for a very long time at ORD.

tsaord

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:15 pm

I read somewhere they a new asian low cost carrier was planing service to ORD.
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

daron4000

Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:40 pm

As a Chicago resident, it is nice to hear all the rumors of new service to ORD, especially from international airlines. ANA will be a good compliment to UA and I think they'd do well. I also think that VS could do well if they marketed well in the city and competed toughly against BA. Other than that, I can only hope.

CHI787ORD

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:10 am

What about Jet Airways? Once they have cleared up all the madness with the DOT, is ORD a likely destination after EWR?

jacobin777

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:23 am

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 7):

To be honest, IMO, ORD doesn't need any more flights - they need less, at least until the improvements/expansions are completed. Otherwise the delays are just going to get worse.

maybe if ORD got rid of some of those piddly "feeder flights"..there wouldn't be a problem...but those flights are needed also...that being said, fortunately ORD doesn't have a time restriction that LHR and SJC have...

how does the route go right now?

Quoting Daron4000 (Reply 19):
As a Chicago resident, it is nice to hear all the rumors of new service to ORD, especially from international airlines. ANA will be a good compliment to UA and I think they'd do well. I also think that VS could do well if they marketed well in the city and competed toughly against BA. Other than that, I can only hope.

VS might, but going up against AA/UA/BA is tough.....thats why I've been saying they need a smaller plane such as an A330 (which would look awesome too).......I think VS would rather go to YYZ again before ORD......
"Up the Irons!"

andaman

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 13):

Yes, but there is a significant difference in the demographics between the MIA passengers and ORD passengers, the latter which would be largely connecting. A fuel stop would be a big no-no. Finnair customers aren't very happy with the downgrade from the MD11 to the 757 on the MIA route this year. It is scheduled to return to an MD11 next winter, though, hopefully.

Booking on AY's 752 should always come with a warning: A HOLIDAY FLIGHT: LESS LEG ROOM, LESS SERVICE...
Interesting to see when AY's first A340/350 will be seen in N-America.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

EddieDude

Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:39 am

AeroMexico is also coming back, if I remember correctly.

Yes, they are. They are flying again once daily from MEX with 73W's! And they have interesting promotional fares. In addition, I believe AM also wants to cater to ethnic travelers and will be offering an ORD-SLP service or something like that. Can't wait to fly to ORD with AM again!
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

Mexicana757

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 23):
Yes, they are. They are flying again once daily from MEX with 73W's! And they have interesting promotional fares. In addition, I believe AM also wants to cater to ethnic travelers and will be offering an ORD-SLP service or something like that. Can't wait to fly to ORD with AM again!

To add to your post, AM is also back on DGO-ORD. Some of the days the MEX-ORD flights are operated twice daily. The extra daily of the MEX flight is because AM is doing charters to PVR and CUN from ORD. I'm sure these charters were the ones that Transmeridian did for FunJet Vacations.

EddieDude

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:57 am

Thanks for the correction, it is DGO and not SLP what I meant.
Upcoming flights:

amirs

Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:13 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 21):

Via EWR, twice a week.

airfinair

Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:03 am

Quoting ORD747CLE (Thread starter):
a Quantas charter plane yesterday at ORD

I'm still trying to figure out what "charter" plane you saw. Was it this one?:

QFA7585
Aircraft Type B744
Owner/Operator Qantas Airways Ltd
Departure ANC TED STEVENS ANCHORAGE INTL, ANCHORAGE AK
Destination KORD CHICAGO OHARE INTNL, UNITED STATES

If so, that's a freighter run, not a charter.
ORD,MDW,IND,ARB,AMS,FRA,AUS,ANQ,DTW,DEN,PHL,PIT,MIA,GPT,SAN,PHX,LAX,SFO,OAK,SEA,LAS,SLC,SMF,ATL,MEM,BOS,MHT,JFK,EWR,LGA,NAS,SAT,MSY,DFW,AUS,IAD,GCM,RSW,PHL,CLT,

LFutia

Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:14 am

although sadly, FlyI is ceasing operations on thursday, ( i feel really bad for the employees who tried so hard to keep the company going as strong as possible), is this Jet Blue's chance to jump into the ORD Market??

Leo/ORD
Leo/ORD

jacobin777

Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:37 am

Quoting Amirs (Reply 26):
Via EWR, twice a week.

thanks for the info..does LY have 5th freedom rights?
"Up the Irons!"

InTheSky74

Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:41 am

No, because I don't think JetBlue can get any gates at ORD.

Rob

MAH4546

Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:58 am

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 29):
Quoting Amirs (Reply 26):
Via EWR, twice a week.

thanks for the info..does LY have 5th freedom rights?

Flying between two domestic points is cabatoge, not 5th freedom. Cabatoge is illegal in the United States. The exception is applying for an emergency exemption, which are granted on a per flight basis and in the case of emergencies only (i.e. Air Canada operating relief flights between MSY and IAH this fall).

[Edited 2006-01-03 03:59:42]
a.

SLUAviator

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:35 pm

VS might, but going up against AA/UA/BA is tough

Going up against other ORD-London carriers would not be so bad if VS started flights to LGW. You might not eat up the O&D traffic, but you would put a dent into passengers who need to travel from LHR to LGW to make their connecting flights. My sister got stuck making that trek twice this summer and she said it sucked. She would have been one of the first to buy a non-stop ticket to LGW if there was a flight.

The projected loads might not be enough to start a flight, but it can't hurt to take a look at the idea.
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

jacobin777

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:04 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 31):
Flying between two domestic points is cabatoge, not 5th freedom. Cabatoge is illegal in the United States. The exception is applying for an emergency exemption, which are granted on a per flight basis and in the case of emergencies only (i.e. Air Canada operating relief flights between MSY and IAH this fall).

yah..thanks for the correction, I should have worded it properly....

Quoting SLUAviator (Reply 32):
Going up against other ORD-London carriers would not be so bad if VS started flights to LGW. You might not eat up the O&D traffic, but you would put a dent into passengers who need to travel from LHR to LGW to make their connecting flights. My sister got stuck making that trek twice this summer and she said it sucked. She would have been one of the first to buy a non-stop ticket to LGW if there was a flight.

well..when I flew them back in 2001 from ORD-LHR-ORD..the flights were completely packed......though I have to admit, the flights were some of the worst I've ever experienced...

regardless, VS would do well if they offered a smaller plane...we'll see what happens once Virgin America starts up.....
"Up the Irons!"

LOT767-300ER

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:18 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 4):

....i wouldn't mind seeing some -200LR's @ ORD...

SQ flew to ORD after 9/11 also. The service restarted and shutdown. Flights were via AMS.

That's my speculative list. We're losing Kuwait Airways, although we did get Asiana in the last few months. I'm keeping a careful eye on BMI - although their ORD-MAN route is rumored to be very successful, they seem to add and drop routes all the time. AeroMexico is also coming back, if I remember correctly.

Err? WHAT? Aeromexico has been at ORD for quite a WHILE. You may not seen them because they fly in the middle of the night. There was just an additional frequency added with 737NG and the current MD-80 service.

Quoting Daron4000 (Reply 19):

The problem with VS was that they used 742 aircraft and had to compete with BA/AA/UA. The ORD-LHR market is strong, and there is ALOT of capacity.

ORD-EWR-TLV

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 27):
I'm still trying to figure out what "charter" plane you saw. Was it this one?:

QFA7585
Aircraft Type B744
Owner/Operator Qantas Airways Ltd
Departure ANC TED STEVENS ANCHORAGE INTL, ANCHORAGE AK
Destination KORD CHICAGO OHARE INTNL, UNITED STATES

If so, that's a freighter run, not a charter.

These are Atlas Air/Polar Air Cargo runs. Qantas metal does not come to ORD.

So far from the top of my head the cargo metal that comes to ORD on a regular basis is: Lufthansa Cargo, Air France Cargo, Eva Air Cargo, JA Cargo, China Airlines Cargo, Air China Cargo, Southern Air, Atlas Air, FedEx, UPS, DHL, Polar Air Cargo, Asiana Cargo, MK Air Cargo, NCA (Nippon Cargo Airlines), CAT (Custom Air Transport), China Eastern Cargo, China Southern Cargo, Gemini Air Cargo, El Al Cargo

Quoting SLUAviator (Reply 32):

This wouldnt survive, especially with the connections that BA/AA offer at LHR. The problem is, that people like your sister are the minority. The magnitude of LHRs transfer machine is most apparent in the summer....half of bloody polaks in chicago connect there to go to Poland...along with FRA and ZRH.

EddieDude

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting LOT767-300ER (Reply 34):
Aeromexico has been at ORD for quite a WHILE.

AM completely abandoned ORD for quite a WHILE. I belive they left in 2003 or 2004 and returned only very recently. I was at ORD in March 2005 and there were no AM counters anymore.
Upcoming flights:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos