Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLM685
Topic Author

Airports In The World Without Windows?

Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:51 am

Watching some pictures from MEX after it's "modernization" stage, I found something quite surprising.

MEX does not have windows anymore!! Apparently authorities and architects thought it was a very good idea to put all this silver fence to cover all the terminal facade , but the only thing they did was to eliminate the already few windows the airport had.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ricardo Morales Aviation Photography of Mexico

In fact, still the terminal is now already crowded and ridiculously small, you feel like having claustrophobia inside and in a desperate need of air!!! Now with no windows it must feel terrible :s Sincerely I don't know what they had in mind.

REAL modern airports have bigger windows and are full of glass everywhere. They try to make themselves big and spacious, so why was this done to MEX??

It would be nice if someone could share some opinions about this or if anyone knows of another airport in the world that's in the same situation.

Cheers

Alonso
KLM- The Best Airline in the World!

MYRIJET

RE: Airports In The World Without Windows?

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:29 am

Totally Agree Alonso.
Now MEX is worst than in the worst era of Former East Bloc Nations in the days of the Iron Curtain or Mao's China.

Its a Shame what they have done to our "Modern" Airport banghead 

I wonder if this will be the fate of Terminal two also.  talktothehand   banghead 

KLM685
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:34 am

Quoting MYRIJET (Reply 1):
I wonder if this will be the fate of Terminal two also

According to the drawings it won't be like T1...hopefully.

caribb

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:41 am

At YUL (Montreal) you no longer have a viewing area in the terminal to see planes outside. The only place they are "viewable" is at the gates so only the flying public and employees can see any aircraft from the inside of the airport.

mNeo

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:42 am

LHR T4 does not have that many windows. One can see the tarmak here and there but for most of the time i feel like im in a tunnel. There are some great viewing locations, but over all not to many windows
Powered by Maina

pilot320

Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:59 am

In Croatia, airports in Pula and Zadar also don´t have windows, but you can see apron from car park.

Basas

Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:00 am

I like some of the Hawaiian airports who don't have windows, just open air!

KLM685
Topic Author

Sun Jan 01, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting Caribb (Reply 3):
The only place they are "viewable" is at the gates so only the flying public and employees can see any aircraft from the inside of the airport.

That's how it was a few months ago! First the totally covered the parking lot so people just couldn't stay there watching, but not they covered the whole airport, so now one is allowed to see which plane he/she is going to ride too until destination.

Euclid

Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:00 pm

Quoting Caribb (Reply 3):
At YUL (Montreal) you no longer have a viewing area in the terminal to see planes outside. The only place they are "viewable" is at the gates so only the flying public and employees can see any aircraft from the inside of the airport.

That sucks. Johannesburg had absolutely no viewing facilities for spectators for close to two years while renovations was going on. It was horrible being there and having no way of seeing the activities outside. Fortunately the new domestic terminal has a fairly decent viewing area.

CrazyHorse

Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:15 pm

As far as I know the domestic terminal in CNS also have no windows. It was quite boring to wait 1 hour with a look at the aircrafts at the aiport.

hodja

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:09 am

Beirut airport is also kinda claustrophobic - few windows available anywhere, like T4 at LHR...

jfklganyc

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:44 am

The old T4 at JFK had no windows.

PJ

airfoilsguy

Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:56 am

What excuse could they have for building an airport with no windows? Other then being in a war zone, I can't see a good reason for not having windows.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

AeroTycoon

Sat Jan 07, 2006 1:11 pm

Thousands of airports around the world have no windows whatsoever.

AnMCOSon

Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:14 pm

The old terminal in Pittsburgh had a few gates with no windows. If I remember correctly, at the end of the one concourse theres were windows, but only half windows up near the ceiling.
What the? Did everything just jump around? Or did my brain just stroke off there for a second?

ghost77

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:15 pm

Well, certainly T1 of MEX looks awful! Hopefully T2 brings big windows for us to take good pictures from the inside!!!

ghost77 APM

schipholjfk

Sun Jan 22, 2006 2:50 pm

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 11):
The old T4 at JFK had no windows.

That's not totally true. At one time you were able to step out and look through the glass window/pane in the arrivals hall behind the "great" old-style schedule board on the second floor. You could even sneak through some small opening to eveb peer down into the immigration/customs area. I have great memories of those days waiting for my parents to arrive from Europe or Asia. It was limited view, but I remember once watching my an Air India 747 land.

The departure lounge totally sucked. I used to feel so claustrophobic waiting for departure. The new T4 is such a great transformation.
The fun of flying... love it !!!

OB1783P

Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:57 pm

The original CDG building (Terminal 1) is donut shaped, with all the windows in the donut hole: no way to see planes while eating, shopping, resting. However, from the gates, you can see the planes very well.

One peeve of mine: the lighting at EWR. At night, what do I see in the windows: my dopey reflection...
I've flown thousands of miles and I can tell you it's a lot safer than crossing the street!

bananaboy

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:31 am

Quoting Pilot320 (Reply 5):
In Croatia, airports in Pula and Zadar also don´t have windows, but you can see apron from car park.

Can't speak for Zadar, but Pula Airport certainly does have windows, at least once through security. It even has an upstairs viewing area, though it is rarely open.

Mark
All my life, I've been kissing, your top lip 'cause your bottom one's missing

Vasu

Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:40 am

Quoting MNeo (Reply 4):
LHR T4 does not have that many windows. One can see the tarmak here and there but for most of the time i feel like im in a tunnel. There are some great viewing locations, but over all not to many windows

I personally found no lack of windows in LHR T4...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Christopher Hammarborg

Its the other terminals, in my opinion, that lack windows!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Spijkers

GVWOW

Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:25 am

When in LHR T3, It seems like you could just as well be in an underground shopping mall in Montreal. Even at the gates, there are virtually no windows. The only real windows are in the clubhouse.
Also, the old BOS terminal E though a really cool terminal, had an astonishing lack of windows. The gate area was just a long dark carpeted hall with doors on the walls for gates and shops on either side. In fact, the entire terminal, check-in hall and all, was so dark, you'd get blinded by daylight when you came to the end of the jetway!

Sabena332

Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:31 am

Quoting Basas (Reply 6):
I like some of the Hawaiian airports who don't have windows, just open air!

I saw the same at LAX (sorry, no idea what terminal, I flew on N7 to LAS in June 2000, any idea which terminal they used?), there was an open air smoking area and you could watch CO planes rolling to their gate or being pushed back. One of my favourite places at any airport worldwide!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

Matt D

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:30 am

N7 (National) used the west side of Terminal 6 at LAX. Gate 61 if memory serves correctly. The outdoor area at LAX was also at Terminal 6, but midway down the concourse on the east side. here is a picture of a Continental MD-80 taken from that spot circa 1994.

Also shown is a tail of a National 757 from the inside of the terminal at LAS, circa 2000.

http://x-2000r.angelcities.com/images/ContLAX.JPG
http://x-2000r.angelcities.com/images/LASTerm.JPG

deltairlines

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:42 am

The UA gates in ATL have no windows...I believe there are some in the Red Carpet Club, but none at the gates.

CHO has a nice open-air observation deck. Spent a good 30 minutes out there in mid-September a couple of years ago...was quite serene...just me and the silence of a quiet airfield (until a UA J-41 spooled up the props).

Jeff

runway23

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:47 am

LHR T4 actually has quite a lot of windows.

If you want to mention an airport that has made itself famous for its lack of windows is Luton, though this has probably changed since they inaugurated their new terminal (I wouldn't know, don't fly out of that bombshelter).

Cadet57

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:50 am

BDL terminal B at the AA gates has a few windows at the to of the ceiling like 15-20 feet up, and little lige comes out them, so much for that big remodel....
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

ltbewr

Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:52 am

The inclulusion of more shops and expanded security facilities had taken away many of the windows in some airport terminals, especially older designs and structures. Some newer terminals, like the McNamara Terminal at DTW, has a lot of windows in the gate areas as they were designed with more room for security checkpoints and shops from it's beginning. Lots of windows also put a heavy load on the air conditioning and heating, especially the a/c in the summer. That could also be a factor at MEX and other airport terminals for having limited amounts of windows.

Sabena332

Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:32 am

Quoting Matt D (Reply 22):
N7 (National) used the west side of Terminal 6 at LAX. Gate 61 if memory serves correctly. The outdoor area at LAX was also at Terminal 6, but midway down the concourse on the east side. here is a picture of a Continental MD-80 taken from that spot circa 1994.

Thanks for the info, Matt!

Quoting Matt D (Reply 22):
Also shown is a tail of a National 757 from the inside of the terminal at LAS, circa 2000.

That brings back memories, too bad they aren't flying anymore, I really liked them!

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

baw716

Tue Jan 31, 2006 7:47 am

JFK Terminal 3. Its a brick building. Very few windows.

baw716
David L. Lamb, fmr Area Mgr Alitalia SFO 1998-2002, fmr Regional Analyst SFO-UAL 1992-1998

N908AW

Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:44 pm

hissyfit The old HHH terminal at MSP was God-Awful. Holy cow. Think oversized Lutheran fellowship hall.
'Cause you're on ATA again, and on ATA, you're on vacation!

dlednicer
Editor

Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:47 pm

Quoting MYRIJET (Reply 1):
Now MEX is worst than in the worst era of Former East Bloc Nations in the days of the Iron Curtain or Mao's China.

I discovered that both the Kunming and Guilin (China) airports have windows - that open! The guards didn't seem to care when I leaned out with my camera to take pictures and the swivel LCD display on my Canon came in real handy:

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Lednicer

TimRees

Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:52 am

Over the years the number of windows at LHR's terminals 1, 2 and 3 have decreased in direct proportion to the increase in the number of shops! The terminals are just like shopping malls these days.

LGW is similar, but on the upper floors on the airside of the terminal there are cafes and bars from which you can see most of the apron.

I've heard there's to be no specific viewing area at LHR T5 but I think glass is going to feature extensively in the design. Airports such as HKG and to a lesser extent SIN are fantastic designs due to the huge quantities of glass used in their constructions.

More glass the better I'd say!

Olympus69

Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:47 am

I always found T2 at YYZ to be claustrophobic. Not only virtually no windows, but low ceilings as well.

ACYWG

Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:24 am

Quoting Olympus69 (Reply 32):
I always found T2 at YYZ to be claustrophobic. Not only virtually no windows, but low ceilings as

I can see the low cielings, but lack of windows? That terminal was ringed with windows! The only real problem was that in the international/US departure areas there was a corridor between the lounges and the outside windows, so you had a glare/reflection problem due to double layer of glass.

Olympus69

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:12 am

Quoting ACYWG (Reply 33):
I can see the low ceilings, but lack of windows? That terminal was ringed with windows!

You must be talking airside. I can only remember one window groundside that gave a view of any planes. That was at the end closest to T1 and had a restricted view of planes taxiing to a gate. I don't think I ever flew from T2. My visits have mainly been for meeting people.

JohnJ

Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:01 am

Quoting Cadet57 (Reply 25):
BDL terminal B at the AA gates has a few windows at the to of the ceiling like 15-20 feet up, and little lige comes out them, so much for that big remodel....

In all fairness, Bradley's Terminal B hasn't been renovated and won't be in use for too much longer. American, Jazz, Georgian, and Skyway/Midwest Express Connection are the only airlines left over there. Terminal A is the new terminal at BDL and it has nice, big, and (usually) clean windows.

SouthwestMDW

Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:04 am

Gates A1 and A2 have no windows at MDW. I don't think A3 has them either.

NZCH

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:54 am

What about Glasgow prestwick it only has windows at the entrance to the terminal, but things might have changed as the Last time I was there was in October 2003. And in the departures lounge there was only a few windows but you would had to be extremely tall, as they were high up.

Regards NZCH
Airlines flown: BA,BD,NZ,SQ,FR,ZB,EK,JQ

ACYWG

Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:58 am

Quoting Olympus69 (Reply 34):
You must be talking airside.

I was.

AJO

Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:08 pm

The TIP (Tripoli International, Libya) and BEN (Benghazi Benina, Libya) terminals do not have windows facing airside. It's probably due to the fact that these airports also serve as airforce bases.
bla

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos