Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WF2BNN
Topic Author

That Repulsive Guy Next To You

Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:35 am

I travel alone a lot around the world to visit friends, before traveling you can choose witch seat you're going to sit in - but not who you're going to sit next to... I've had some really bad ones, but also some really good ones.

i.e.

KL from AMS to JFK (747) sat next to a older guy that smelled like he was already dead, yea - that bad. And he kept sneezing all the time, not everything landing on him...

VS from LHR to MIA (747). I sat down in my ile seat, and said hi to this young guy who was seated in the window seat. I told him that I checked to days ago, and nobody was going to be sitting in between us. I could not have been more wrong! A 400+ pounds / 200+ kg guy sat down in between us! I was half way out in the ile, whilst the guy in the window seat got crushed into the wall. Luckily the guy in the window seat said he would move once we had taken off , so the guy in the middle could use the window seat Smile After that it was a great flight - GO VS!

And so on... But I've mostly been seated next to people that where a privilege to meet.

What are your worst "travel mate" stories?

Mats in TRD
What goes up, must come down.

Cadet57

RE: That Repulsive Guy Next To You

Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:51 am

Not a seat mate but on AUA-BOS back in july just as we taxied out a kid(4-6y/o) behind me shat himself and it stunk so bad and he diddnt get cleaned up til after dinner..... eeesh. and on the same flight, the a$$ infront of me kept reclining and going back and kept hitting my laptop screen, it took a call to the f/a's to sort him out.

But then there is a positive, on DFW-LAS I sat next to an unbeleiveably nice couple and we chatted the entire time and they were the most plesent folks ive ever sat with!
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

BFS

Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:59 am

My best was on BHD-LHR-YUL-YQB. In the lounge at Belfast I noticed a rather dashing BMed pilot, and lo and behold, he came along and sat beside me on the plane and we had a very nice conversation. And waiting for boarding in Heathrow I noticed another rather handsome chap, holding a boarding pass for the seat next to mine! So that was another great flight, we chatted away and he even waited for me whilst I was being interviewed at Immigration. Sadly they wanted to talk a while longer so he waved goodbye without me getting his number. I knew I couldn't have been that lucky, and then on the Dash8 to YQB I was stuck in the last row window beside a bit of a stinker, but a small price to pay!

CO7e7

Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:01 am

My worst: CLE to EWR on a CO 735 - i was in 18F (window) and next to me was a 5 yr old kid (18E) and his mom with a tiny baby in her lap (18D)...
The baby did not stop crying from the minute we boarded until 15 min. before landing!!

My best: ORD CDG on AF340 - i can't remember the seat #, but i was sitting next to an old guy who seemed to know a lot about aviation, and we talked about airlines for more than 5 hours (with breaks). He was a lot of Fun.

thepilot

Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:39 am

On my flight with my dad from SEA-LHR, I was in the middle seat and I sat next to a guy who looked about 350lbs. My dad, on my other side is 280, and I'm not too skinny last time I checked. The guy next to me wasn't unfriendly, but for 9 hours I had no armrest and no room to stretch my legs.
Then, on LAX-ICN, I got in the middle and sat next to a very chatty old man who wouldn't let me alone. Kept talking incessantly until the guy on the other side (yup, middle seat again), told him to let me be (thanks, Dave!).
There are too many others to talk about for one posting.
Happy New Year
From YVR

n484er

Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:51 am

My worst... a BLUE PARROT!!!

It was onboard a Delta flight from Newark to Atlanta on a 737-800. I was seated on the window seat, excited believing I would have an entire row to myself, suddenly a Jamaican man with a beautiful exotic blue parrot boards and sits next to me. He places the bird in the middle seat and himself on the aisle. Unfortunately, due to emergency reasons, I had to give up my freakin' seat!  banghead  ...the parrot got the window seat now.

When I asked him, why didn't you just check in the parrot (which by the way, he paid $700 for the its seat!) in the baggage compartment, he answered "would you put your child in there?"  eyebrow 

lincoln

Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:53 am

My Worst: Northwest, red-eye 757, near the back on a LAX-DTW flight. Had the entire (A-C) row to myself, D-F were also empty. I was getting so excited at the prospects of being able to partially lie down, when all of a sudden (during taxi) the dad from the family behind be decides that he's going to move. Not to the empty D-F seats, not to any of the several completely empty rows elsewhere in the aircraft, but right next to me. "Ok," so I thought, "so I won't be able to lie down, but at least I can sleep". Wrong. The guy insisted on talking to me (or rather, at me, topics including, among others less memorable "The trials and tribulations of running a bait shop in Canada") for the entire duration of the flight. Try as I might, I couldn't (politely) shut him up. Argh.

My Best: DL, morning 767 SAN-ATL, also near the back. Empty middle seat, and the guy in the asile was an avaiation enthusiast/computer security professional from France. We talked for nearly the entire flight -- about aviation, about differences in our professions, about differences between France and parts of the United States. It was great. He was also the one who told me about Airliners.net  

Lincoln

[Edited 2006-01-02 01:59:01]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

wjcandee

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:08 am

A friend, a woman who traveled a lot, invented a device that she called the PPPP that she brought with her on the plane. "PPPP" stood for "Personal Plane Privacy Partition". It was basically some cardboard that slid in along the upper portion of her seat and blocked out the head of the guy sitting next to her, so she could really ignore him. Not too big, not too small, and made clear where his space ended and hers began. She could turn her head and sleep and not have her face inches away from some man. Worked for her for years. I don't think she used it if a woman was sitting next to her.

I think they now sell something like this in those airline magazines.

[Edited 2006-01-02 02:10:37]

edelag

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:12 am

My worst was:
MEX-JFK
I don't remember correctly but I was in the window seat on a 757 and the guy next to me didn't shut up on the entire trip. He just didn't shut up I had to sleep through the flight just so that I could avoid talking to him, that might sound a little harsh but in my case I just simply did not have a choice.

I do not want to go out of subject here, but you don't see this types of cases on first or business...

Eugenio De la Garza
It's not just the destination, it's the journey.

ACdreamliner

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:14 am

best was not on a plane! lol, on the train from YYZ-YUL i spent the first 4 hours looking out the window and the last hour the middle aged French Canadian going to YUL to visit her sister said, so, what brings you to Montreal?

we got chatting for the last hour and a bit, she was very nice and interested what i was doing. she ended by saying remember me when you own air canada! lol, bless her...

my worst, was on my last YYZ-GLA flight, there was these 2 very stuck up kids (15ish). who had no reason to be, both ugly as sin with messy hair and in economy so obviously not THAT well off. the stewerdess thought they were ill, kept offering them stuff and they were like 'no, we have our own thanks'

why fly AC if you don;t want the service. thats what you are paying for. they coudl have save about £200 each by flying Thomas Cook or somethign....
Where are you going?

zvezda

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:21 am

Quoting Edelag (Reply 9):
I don't remember correctly but I was in the window seat on a 757 and the guy next to me didn't shut up on the entire trip. He just didn't shut up I had to sleep through the flight just so that I could avoid talking to him, that might sound a little harsh but in my case I just simply did not have a choice.

I can always get Americans to stop talking. I start asking them questions about the financial aspects of whatever they're talking about. Then I start taking notes. They ask me why I'm taking notes. I tell them I'm an IRS special investigator. Not another word the entire flight. Works every time -- even with grandmothers showing me photos of her grandsquealers.  Wink

lesmainwaring

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:44 am

Both of mine were on EA

worse: i was flying a redeye ATL-MIA ... it was july 1990 ... L1011 ... it was packed, not a vacant seat in the house ... the a/c didn't seem to work very well, and i got sandwiched in between an extended family traveling ... kids everywhere, crying, restless ... then we hit a thunderstorm and the plane rocked-and-rolled and lit up from all the lightning outside and all the kids went wild ... it was so claustophobic, and the parents screaming at the crying kids ... ughhhhhhh ... i was so glad to get on the ground

best: i was flying a midday MCO-ATL ... summer 1987ish ... B757 ... less than a dozen pax on the whole plane (they must have needed it back in ATL for repositioning or something) ... but wow, that big, beautiful plane all to ourselves ... the f/as were great, and i sat almost everywhere on the plane
I want something under my wheels thats plenty long and mighty dry --- Vern Demarest

F27XXX

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:52 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 11):
Works every time -- even with grandmothers showing me photos of her grandsquealers.

Why would an IRS special investigator be taking notes while a grandmother is shoring him pics of her grandchildren? Kinnnnnda lame.

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 11):
I can always get Americans to stop talking

So how we get a Lithuanian to stop talking?

AND NOW ..
My worst experience was as a non-rev PHL-PHX on USAir. I was, at the time, working for US in HVN and had just connected from there onto this flight. My partner and I got split up in one of those "we think there are a couple of seats free so go onboard and sit where you find a seat" kinda things. Now a 5 hr flight on a 737-300 was not something i was looking fwd to anyway - and then I found my seat. Center - back row between a scary and depraved hillbilly version of Dan and Roseann Connor. Dan smelled like gasoline (and i didnt wanna know why - i figured from the chainsaw he jusst chopped people up in the shed with) and Roseanne had some kind of wheezing breathing problem. And the worst part is that i was in uniform since i had worked that day up until i jumped on my flight out of HVN. So i had to hear all about how crappy this airline is, how we lost their bags on the way up, how we blah-blah-blah. And I couldnt even get liquored up because I was in uniform! That was suck-O-rama.

But at least I didnt run into some arrogant Lithuanian pretending to work for the US government LOL!

Tony
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

AmericanAirFan

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:00 am

Yup I know the feeling on Southwest Airlines LAX-SJC this past summer. I sat next to this extremely overweight guy and I was just about to put down the arm rest then he sits down and then it was impossible to put the arm rest down without letting it protrude into his gut.... and he's way in my "personal bubble" I just scruntched against the side of the plane and stared out the window the whole 30 minute trip.

I've had good experiences I sat next to an elementary teacher on one flight and we chatted the whole trip LAS-SJC..

On one last note when taking pictures while in flight some people give me the wierdest look...

-AmericanAirFan
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"

piercey

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:07 am

Worst - stand-by on a HP757 PHX-CLE. Family all over aircraft. I'm in the aisle, a mom and her kid sitting next to me. Kid playes with hotwheels, I'm reading a book. Quiet flight first half, then got pretty bad. Kid starts throwing hotwheels at me and other pax. Mom unfortunatly asleep, so called F/A. F/A told kid to stop, so he did, for 2 seconds!  angry  starts doing it again, mom wakes up, appoligizes, then takes away hotwheels. Kid blows up. starts throwing a fit. mom doesn't give a sh!t. Calls F/A. F/A tells kid to be quiet. Mom flips, saying only she can punish her child. F/A says do it. Mom didn't, I got a free upgrade to 1st class.  Smile

Best - flight before, HP SAT-PHX. Family got upgraded to first after oversell in Y (stand-by, again). Seat next to me taken by non-rev pilot! Talked about planes whole time  Smile

time I was annoying - WN CLE-MDW. Whips out new book, Air Disasters vol. 3! middle seat, dad takes window, other man takes aisle. Other pax obviously uneasy, asks me to put book away. I say no. guy calls F/A. Says I'm a disturbance!!!! Embarrassment F/A moves the man, comes back starts asking me what I did. I say I'm so comfortable flying that I read about disasters  Smile
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

vegasplanes

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:20 am

Best: AA 1st Class Bulk Head (A & B on MD-80's) with my father on DTW-DFW-LAS segments flying against the head-wind from hell, each segment was over 3 hours where they should have been just over 2 hrs. Could not have asked for better or more attentive service from the F/A's, I was actually glad the flights took sooooo long. These flights took place in either '94 or '95, if I recall correctly AA even had hot chocolate chip cookies on board in First on the DFW-LAS flight, around a noon departure.

Worst: Nothing really stands out as having an absolutely terrible experience, have had some un-pleasant and bad experiences, but none stand out as being totally terrible.

lincoln

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting Piercey (Reply 15):
Kid starts throwing hotwheels at me and other pax. Mom unfortunatly asleep, so called F/A. F/A told kid to stop, so he did, for 2 seconds!

I may get flamed for this, but for a while, I had a very good glare developed, and between staring the little twit* down over the back of the seat and "You -WILL- stop kicking my seat." in my most stern-sounding voice I could restore a comfortable flight very quickly. (I think the when the parents heard that they also intervened to calm their kids down. but I really didn't give a d*mn as long as the kicking stopped).

This is going to sound stupid, but I'm convinced that NW has a much higher childeren/annoying children load factor per flight than CO... In the past 8 years on NW, I can't think of a flight without at least one screaming child, usually 2 or 3, and almost always one of them ended up behind me... In 26,000 miles on CO in 2005, no screaming kids except the Christmas morning flights (that had lots of inexperienced flyers) and those quieted down quickly.

Lincoln
*- Yes, I'm antisocial, yes, I'm sure your child is the most beautiful thing to ever grace this earth. It doesn't change the fact that I really don't care for young children, especially when they're driving their feet into my back.
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

MiCorazonAzul

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:24 am

Quoting AmericanAirFan (Reply 14):
Yup I know the feeling on Southwest Airlines LAX-SJC this past summer. I sat next to this extremely overweight guy and I was just about to put down the arm rest then he sits down and then it was impossible to put the arm rest down without letting it protrude into his gut.... and he's way in my "personal bubble" I just scruntched against the side of the plane and stared out the window the whole 30 minute trip.

after reading this, I knew it had to be posted by a rather younger member....surely, I was right......and that's all I'll say.

Quoting Piercey (Reply 15):
Seat next to me taken by non-rev pilot! Talked about planes whole time

and you probably became that "repulsive guy" next to him in his opinion!  Wink

As for the title, I think the word "repulsive" is a bit much eh?
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

as739x

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:36 am

I sat behind Charles Woodsen this morning to SNA. A current Raiders and ex-Michigan Wolverine (he was even wearing a wolversine jacket). That was repulsive sitting near him.

ASLAX (Ohio State fan)
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

F27XXX

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:36 am

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 18):

Nope! In my case (Reply 13) this title couldnt be more appropriate! LOL
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

mikefly562

Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:11 pm

I've had good and bad:

The good: On a 747 from Taipei to LAX, I had all 4 middle seats to myself...I slept good the whole flight.

The bad: I got stuck in a middle seat on a 737 between to very large people (they were a married couple...one had the middle, one had the aisle) and they kept arguing with each other.

The funny: A very old lady next to me on a UA A320 got really pissed and started yelling at the flight attendant because UA only served Pepsi products and no more Coke products...she said that it was a big conspiracy by UA and Pepsi to deny the passengers rights to drink coke products.

Boeing744

Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:24 pm

I have not had any REALLY terrible experiences with seat neighbours, but here is a bad one...

It was YVR-YKA on an ACJazz Dash8-100. I had reserved a window seat, only to come aboard the plane to find this man sitting there (a rather large man) already (don't know how he preboarded, they didn't call elite). Anyways, I asked him to move politely, to which he grumbled and said all right. As he stood up, he banged his head really hard on the roof. By now, I knew I wouldnt be making a friend... He glared at me and took his seat. Before takeoff, he started breathing heavily and impeding on my space. I could tell he was a nervous flyer. All was well, until descent when it started to get really bumpy. After the turbulence subsided, we hit some sort of air pocket, and dropped heavily. The man responded by grabbing me and yelling "HOLY SH*T!!!" After two more similar drops, we landed. He was the first to leave the plane.

I have had one really good experiences with passengers too...

I was flying FRA- YVR on LH on a 744. The aircraft was boarded, and I was in an aisle seat. It looked like i would have 3 seats all to myself, when a middle aged couple came. The man sat down beside me, and the woman took the window. They were Austrian, but the lady spoke English. They were very friendly throughout the whole flight. the most amazing thing was that in a 10.5 hour flight, they only got up twice!!! I wish all passengers would have the consideration to not bother the person in the aisle unnessesarily.

WF2BNN
Topic Author

Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:32 pm

Hear hear. Sorry about that... I thought to myself after posting it; "that was maybe a bit strong of a word to use"

Mats in TRD
What goes up, must come down.

ContnlEliteCMH

Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:41 pm

Quoting AS739X (Reply 19):
I sat behind Charles Woodsen this morning to SNA. A current Raiders and ex-Michigan Wolverine (he was even wearing a wolversine jacket). That was repulsive sitting near him.

HAAAAHAHAHA!!! GO BUCKS!!!

Did you taunt him about *another* Wolverweenie loss in a bowl game? I surely would have.

Very repulsive INDEED.

ContnlEliteCMH -- OSU alum, huge Buckeye fan, and steadfast game goer (last home game I missed was 1996!)

I've been fortunate in that I haven't had any seriously disgusting seat mates. But there was this flight from CLE to CMH about a year ago on an ERJ... This eye-popping overweight woman boarded the plane after the Elites got on. She ended up across the aisle from me, in the window seat. Now, I know that heavy people fold in places the average person doesn't. And I know that these folds tend to trap moisture the average person doesn't. And I know that this moisture is a fertile breeding ground for large colonies of bacteria that the average person doesn't grow. And I know that large colonies of bacteria often produce a malodorous gas which the average American can easily control with some friendly chemicals.

A spectacular specimen among "people who are fold challenged", this woman's midsection hung down to her knees. When she sat down, this fold literally covered her legs all the way to her knees. As she moved, she emitted a nasty stench. It was equally obvious that she had tried to control it, as the sickly sweet smell of Shower to Shower wafted along with the waves of stinkitude. That this flight was the last of the day, and delayed a couple of hours, only made matters worse.

Thankfully, as she sat still, she trapped this oderiferous goodness. Then a poor, poor man, young and slight of stature, boarded to find this beast halfway into his seat. I'm not exaggerating; he literally could only fit half of his backside onto the seat. The rest of him was in the aisle, and he had to kick a leg out just to hold himself up. And the smell...

Thankfully, there was a seat open elsewhere, and he took it. He was polite about it as well; I'm not sure I would have been after one lungful of eau-de-heffer poisoned my lungs. Needless to say, I was *sure* to book it off that airplane before Leviathan could wrest her enormous self out into the aisle.
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

ODwyerPW

Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:45 pm

My mom told me that on every flight I fly on there's always at least one really repulsive passenger....Funny, I've never seen him.
learning never stops.

scalebuilder

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:23 pm

Flight on EMB-145 out of OKC to DFW in November with AA. The girl sitting next to me was extremely overweight. She needed an extension by special request from the FA to make her seat belt fit (or work). She was very pleasant, and we ended up talking for most of the flight.

The problem was that all circulation in my left leg simply vanished due to the pressure from her body weight. I could hardly feel that I actually had a left leg by the time I could leave the aircraft in Dallas. And boy did I need that leg running through the terminals making my connecting flight...my son waiting for me at home..

Feel bad sharing a story like this, especially involving a person I got to know and who I liked, but can't deny that this one hour flight ended up being extremely uncomfortable and painful too.
Go the extra mile......and avoid the traffic!!!

SJCRRPAX

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:33 pm

Quoting AmericanAirFan (Reply 14):

Once on a LHR-SFO flight, a guy got on the plane that was the biggest guy I'd ever seen on a plane, I was about praying he would not sit down next to me. I was in a middle seat, and he was also in a middle seat next to me on the 747. But the most pleasant surprise was he was a nice guy, and seemed to comprehend he was big, so he just kind of crossed his arms put his head down and slept almost the entire trip. A very pleasant surprise, not a bad trip at all. I still don't know why these 400+ lb people don't book in advance to get an Isle seat though.

To Asia I like flying Asian airlines and with any luck I'll be stuck between two 80 lb Asian woman, and I will win the arm-rest wars.

2H4

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 13):
Why would an IRS special investigator be taking notes while a grandmother is shoring him pics of her grandchildren? Kinnnnnda lame.

Lame? What does it matter how "cool" his method is if it works?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

moparman

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:39 pm

Best:

August 2004: CO from IAD to EWR on a beautiful B764. I was sitting in the very last row in the very back. I am certain that the aircraft had an enormous amount of cargo onboard, but there were maybe 70-80 passengers total. Not only did I have the seat next to me to myself, but there was no one around me for 5 rows. It was the most comfortable economy class flight I have ever had.

Worst:

February 2005: I was flying from ATL to JKF on a DL B767 in 1st class. There was an old gentleman sitting next to me. He was very quiet, and very well dressed (if a bit dated) in a 1970's vintage 3-piece suit. There were the dual problems though of he smelled like (1) mothballs and (2) like he shit in his pants. I asked the FA if I could switch seats, she said that there are no other avalible seats in 1st class. I then asked her if I could switch to an economy seat: She came back a few minutes later: "I'm sorry Sir, this aircraft is completely full. There are no avalible seats." The elderly gentleman was sleeping the whole time with his head propped on the window drooling from the side of his mouth

[Edited 2006-01-02 05:51:17]
"Harming a patient is unethical, but I can inflict as much pain as I like" Dr. Phlox

AmericanAirFan

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:43 pm

after reading this, I knew it had to be posted by a rather younger member....surely, I was right......and that's all I'll say.

Yeah its the grammar right?

Anyways I would like to add the perspective of that "Repulsive Guy Next To You" When we flew SAN-LAX when I was one year old, and I was with my family we hit an airpocket and I threw up all over over the place. From what my family has told me the other PAX were not pleased with my crying and screaming either. Yet remember I was only one.
"American 1881 Cleared For Takeoff One Seven Left"

Type-Rated

Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:56 pm

Most of the time I am very lucky with the people who sit next to me.

The funniest:
A grandmother who carried onboard a rather large birthday cake who wanted me to hold it on my lap while she knitted IAH-CLT. She was kind of delightful in a Ada Quonsett kind of way, so I held that damn cake for about 2-1/2 hours.

The grossest:
This one is so gross, it still remains the grossest even after 30 years! After a night of partying in MEM I flew SO MEM-MDW on their 7:00am flight (or some ungodly early hour) back in 1974 or so. I was hung over to high heaven. An old guy that looked like a bum sat in the middle seat, I was on the aisle seat on the three side. This guy not only stunk to high heaven he had a beard that came down to the middle of his chest. For breakfast they served something like Eggs Benedict, very soft cooked eggs on a English Muffin with Canadian Bacon. The eggs were very gooey. I passed on the food and asked the F/A for a Screwdriver to help calm my stomach. I turned to look at this guy and all the egg was running out of his mouth and down his beard on to his shirt. I thought I was going to gag! Then we started hitting some light chop and I finally just ran down the aisle to the rear of the plane to another empty seat. The smell, the visual was beyond description.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

GVWOW

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:07 pm

Best: I flew BOS-LHR on an exchange trip (VS A340), and I was seated behind the manager of the group, also a very experienced DL flight attendant. Immediately, the purser overheard her talking about it and began picking her brain. I was entertained the entire flight by their constant sharing of tricks of the trade (releasing pressurized juice cartons with nametags...) and gossip about F class passengers. It was great fun. Then, 6 months later, I spotted the same FA at BOS boarding the same flight!

Worst: BOS-CDG on an AF A330 (very nice plane). The guy sitting next to me seemed to be an enthusiast of children (I was 13 at the time). He tried to strike up conversation early on (which was quite pleasant for a bit), but he really wanted to know where I lived. I denied him this knowledge, and he got into a bit of a huff. He slept for most of the flight (good), but he awoke again a few hours from the end. This time he was more interested in helping me out, and he helped me oh so greatly by ineptly pouring me glasses of water out of the bottle I was drinking from. He wouldn't take "no thank you" for an answer, and I was soaked to the bone when that plane finally landed. He kept snatching the bottle, so I called the FA and she took away the cups. He also noticed that I was using pressure regulating earplugs, but he immediately knew the correct action. This involved suddenly ripping one out halfway through the descent, and sticking his finger into my ear. He again could not understand the words "no thank you" and I leaned away from him as far as I possibly could. I was considerably annoyed, but when the plane landed, we just went our seperate ways hoping to never meet again, and I can now add sillyness to this forum because of him.

FlyboyOz

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:18 pm

oh yes i remember when I flew AA from JFK-YVR in 1998. There were two chinese kids behind my seats. I started hating little kids so much. A stupid chinese girl (abour 4 years old) kicked the back of my seats ten times. She was so mean when I asked her to stop. I was suprised to see the girl stood up on the seat and banged the seat table five times. Her mother was sleeping until she heard her daughter making noise. Her mother was shocked by what she did and then smacked her three times (very hard) in order to behave herself. She screamed soooo loudly although I enjoyed watching her punishment. hehehe
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

F27XXX

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 28):
Lame? What does it matter how "cool" his method is if it works?

His story made no sense. Here's an grandmother showing him pictures of her grandchildren - and he's taking notes on a pad pretending -with presumably a thick Eastern European accent - to be an IRS Special Investigator.

That makes sense to you? Explain.
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

GVWOW

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:28 pm

(My brother pushes his seat back)
(Guy behind him pushes it forward with his feet)
(Brother pushes seat back)
(Guy pushes it forward)
Guy: "Don't push your seat back, it intrudes upon my personal space"
Brother "just push yours back, it'll make the difference"
Guy: "I don't want mine back"
*Ding*
Flight attendant with high squeeky voice (to guy) "HE PAYED FOR HIS SEAT HE PAYED FOR HIS SEAT"
Guy (to brother): Why don't you upgrade to first class! THEN you CAN push your seat back!!! Wink
Flight attendant "HE PAYED FOR HIS SEAT HE PAYED FOR HIS SEAT"
Me (To Guy): "Why don't YOU upgrade to first class, then you can leave your seat forward"
Guy: "Do you think I can afford such a thing"
FA: "BE QUIET!"

(Fifteen minutes later)
(I push my seat back)
(Guy's wife shoves it forward)
*Ding*....................

jafa39

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:38 pm

Quoting N484ER (Reply 5):
"would you put your child in there?"

Too right i would!

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 6):
I couldn't (politely) shut him up. Argh.

And why didn't you move to an empty row? I would have told him i had scabies and the invisible Spanish itchy things and got outta there, he sounds like a perv!!

My only bad experience was with an anti-reclining nazi, anyone else i can put up with, and i'm really good at getting crying babies to shut up too.

I like sitting next to nervous flyers as I feel i am doing some good by helping them get relaxed (here, smoke this, you'll be fine...).
We, the undersigned, do hereby consent.....

2H4

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:44 pm

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 34):
His story made no sense. Here's an grandmother showing him pictures of her grandchildren - and he's taking notes on a pad pretending -with presumably a thick Eastern European accent - to be an IRS Special Investigator.

Right. My point is, he could interrupt a grandmother's photo presentation with questions about fiberglass-insulated type-K thermocouples. If the method consistantly and effectively shuts people up and gets them to leave him alone, who cares how logical it is?  Wink

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

F27XXX

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:51 pm

Quoting GVWOW (Reply 32):
The guy sitting next to me seemed to be an enthusiast of children (I was 13 at the time)

but he really wanted to know where I lived. I denied him this knowledge, and he got into a bit of a huff.

This involved suddenly ripping one out halfway through the descent, and sticking his finger into my ear.

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but has it occured to you that you were pretty much molested? "Oh stewardess, please make this man stop pouring water on my pants and sticking his finger in my ear!"

and I can now add sillyness to this forum because of him.

And pedophilia.
I'M BAAAAAAAACK!

boeingfever777

Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:53 pm

Worst:

IAH-SNA on a 735... Had the window seat 7F. The 2 other seats middle and isle were occupied by an elderly couple that smelled of moth balls and the man kept sneezing. The lady saw I was reading "Birds of Prey" about Boeing and Airbus and would not shutup and stop asking me questions about the book! In the end I could not have been more happy to see SNA!
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

Mainliner

Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:11 pm

If I had to have a 'worst' it would be a year ago on WN (IND-LAX with a stop in MCI). In IND, the majority of the passengers boarding the flight were families with small children, resulting in half the flight being pre-boarded. Once on board, there were no window seats left  Sad . During the flight, once one kid began screaming all the rest would join in, not to be outdone. Finally we landed and all the kids got off, to be replaced by the largest group of 80+ year-olds I'd ever seen. Naturally, this wasn't a problem until we landed in LA...I've never seen it take so long to unload a 737!

A very enjoyable experience was on another WN flight; I sat next to a very nice older woman. After talking for a while and learning that I was a pilot she informed me that she was an experience glider pilot. Turns out she was a grandmother too! She was talking about how she took her grandson's boyscout troop up for glider flights...kind of a far cry from my own grandmother, who tried to convince my mother to in turn convince me to 'fix' planes instead, since it would be safer  Yeah sure .
Every flight counts.

jascmil

Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:26 pm

This past week...I'm in the window seat on a Comair CRJ from CVG to IAH with a 350 pound gentleman next to me in the aisle. I'm a small fellow (5'11", 125 lbs.), and even I avoid long commuter flights like the plague because I can't get comfortable. I can't begin to imagine what he was experiencing.

A two-hour haul in a CRJ coupled with a rotund seatmate makes for a very long flight. The plane's curvature is still imprinted on the side of my face.

ElpinDAB

Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:48 pm

Fortunately, I've never had to sit next to any trully "repulsive" people. Whenever I see an overweight or ill person board, I always start hoping that they won't sit next to me.

Worst: When the kid sitting in the seat in front of me spilled his soda and it got my carry-on bag wet. It left a nasty brown stain.

One that stands out the most in my mind: It was a WN 733 from LIT to DAL about 5 years ago. I had the window, my dad had the middle, and a hair stylist, one of the undisputed champs of small-talk, had the aisle. She talked non-stop about senseless things for the ENTIRE flight. Luckily, I was able to enjoy my view out the window while my dad soaked up all the chatter (except for the occasional question directed at me). Sometime during the flight, my dad told her that I was really interested in airplanes, so, as the plane pulled up to the gate, she told my dad "WOW, he MUST be! He didn't stop looking at that little wing the ENTIRE flight! I guess it's sorta interesting with all it's little bolts and moving parts, but he was just CAPTIVATED!" Haha! I guess she thought I was a retard or something.

[Edited 2006-01-02 08:54:27]

NASCARAirforce

Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:50 pm

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 24):
HAAAAHAHAHA!!! GO BUCKS!!!

Did you taunt him about *another* Wolverweenie loss in a bowl game? I surely would have.

Very repulsive INDEED.

ContnlEliteCMH -- OSU alum, huge Buckeye fan, and steadfast game goer (last home game I missed was 1996!)

As usual, the buckeyes (for those of you non Americans, a buckeye is a type of nut), which is the perfect name for OSU because they tend to crack under pressure... and that will happen against Notre Dame at the Fiesta Bowl, and it won't be because of terrible officiating like Michigan was treated to the other day.

Worst flight? One of my many between MCO-DTW or back to MCO on Northwest.

I should get some ideas from the Lithuanian guy on how to shut talkative grandmas showing me pictures and yappin about their Grandbrats

Worst - heading up to DTW during Christmas 2003 on a fully packed Northwest 753. Getting bopped in the head by a 5 year old's stuffed Micky Mouse and listening to him crying, and getting my knees squashed by some brat in front of me jumping up and down in his seat. I did my best to tolerate this BS because their parents did nothing about it. I just got out my discman and blasted Lacuna Coil into my ears to relax me. The ride back was not much better, had a mechanical at DTW for 1 1/2 hours and a brat kicking my seat, fortunately this time the brat had responsible parents that scolded the kid.

Another bad experience- Flew Spirit to DTW from MCO in Jan 2004 for weekend trip to Detroit. Purposely took Spirit Plus figuring that it would lower the brat factor. A Middle Eastern couple with identical twin 2/3 year olds sits down in the first row. The mother and one of twins on my (left) side of the MD-80, and father and other twin on other side. The kids were quiet and well behaved, except on takeoff the twin in front of me decides to shit himself but doesn't cry or anything like most kids would. Mother does nothing about it most of the flight until the flight attendant tells her to change the kids diaper. Mother doesn't speak English so flight attendant tells father who speaks English, relays the message to mother in Arabic or some sort of Middle Eastern Language. Mother changes kids diaper, the now clean kid now sits next to father. Twin #2 sits next to mother now. Twin #2 decides to #2 as the seatbelt sign comes on while we are approaching DTW. Of course this had to be the longest decent into DTW ever as I swear we were put in a holding pattern over Lake Erie or something. Of course I am practically reaching for the barf bag it is so bad. I don't know how a kid so small can make a smell so big but the whole Spirit Plus section was complaining.

The best passenger next to me on a flight? My most recent flight from MCO to DTW on Air Tran. This guy was invisible, had no odor, didn't talk, didn't peak at my magazine or lap top and didn't have grandkids or kids that shit their pants or hit me with Mickey Mouse... didn't have kids at all... hell this guy didnt even complain that I put my lap top bag in his seat, what was really great was the guy next to him was also invisible. They were so invisible that when I got up to use the lav, neither even had to move as I had the window seat... didn't argue with me when I sat in the aisle seat when my leg got sore either.

deltaflyertoo

Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:37 pm

So I have to ask....anyone ever randomly end up w/ someone very attractive? Anything happen? I once sat next to a really hot guy on a MD-80 from LAX to DFW. He invited me to have a drink w/ him at the bar (we both had long layovers). I didn't take him up on it but always wondered what would have happened if I did.

MD-90

Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:33 pm

Best flight was my last 727 on Delta, ATL-BDL. I was flying as an unaccompanied minor (I dunno, 14 or so). Aisle seat, middle was empty, and a beautiful girl was in the window seat. We had pleasent conversation for most of the flight.

Worst was flying unaccompanied minor several years before that, and the boy (also unc. minor) sitting next to me threw up without using a barf bag. Luckily, I was wearing jeans (which kids normally never do in Alabama during July, too hot), but it left a stain that I had to endure for a couple of hours (layover in Atlanta, then flight to Connecticut). The FAs were very apologetic, but there really wasn't much they could do.

StMawganE14

Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:53 pm

Flying from Dubai to Bangkok a few years ago I ended up sitting next to a ship's crew, one of whom took off his shoes and socks as soon as we took off. He then spent the next few hours picking all the dirt from his feet and from under his toenails. He was so intent on what he was doing that he passed on the meal!!!!!!
Live for today and have another one tomorrow!

moparman

Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:38 pm

I just talked to my wife (who really isn't into aviation) about this thread. She reminded me of something that happened on our honeymoon. We were on our way to Germany to see relatives of mine and spend our honeymoon traveling through Europe via train. On the first leg of our flight: GPT-MEM (DTW-FRA), we were sitting in economy of a NW DC9 with the 2+3 seating. My wife suddenly ribs me and says look at that woman coming down the isle. Here came a relatively attractive woman, in her mid 20's, wearing a pair of white jeans. She also must have been having her period and no tampons because she had a huge bloodstain covering the entire front of her pants which stunk horribly. I nearly gaged when she walked by to the way to the restroom.
"Harming a patient is unethical, but I can inflict as much pain as I like" Dr. Phlox

Doona

Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:34 pm

I've not had any "repulsive" seatmates, but a few annoying ones. Strangely, most of them have happened to be Italians. I don't have any problems whatsoever with Italians, except when they sit next to me on an airplane. In my experience, they NEVER share armrests, they like to rest feet, elbows, heads, etc. on me. They also seem to enjoy spilling food on my shoes. And conveniently, when you try to say something about it, they don't speak any English.

As I said, I have nothing against Italians. On the ground. And I'd like to think that it is just a coincidence that my seatmate from hell is always Italian, but it's just too much. I'm starting to wonder. I just don't understand why every Italian I've sat beside on an airplane have been annoying or obnoxious in some way, while every Italian I've met on the ground have been perfectly alright!

Someone, please shed some light on this for me! And if anyone has positive stories concerning Italians on airplanes, please share them so as to prove me wrong!

Cheers
Mats
Sure, we're concerned for our lives. Just not as concerned as saving 9 bucks on a roundtrip to Ft. Myers.

motopolitico

Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:43 pm

Quoting Boeing744 (Reply 22):
I wish all passengers would have the consideration to not bother the person in the aisle unnessesarily.

I always prefer the aisle seat, and in exchange for the guaranteed armrest and potential to move my legs occasionally, I am more than glad to let my fellow passengers in and out. I think being upset about being asked to move when in an aisle seat is just juvenile. We're all in that plane together.

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 24):

Yeah, the "I-didn't-know-that-was-even-a-bowl" bowl?

He again could not understand the words "no thank you" and I leaned away from him as far as I possibly could. I was considerably annoyed, but when the plane landed, we just went our seperate ways hoping to never meet again, and I can now add sillyness to this forum because of him.

Sounds like a pedophile to me. Were you an unaccompanied minor on that flight? Why didn't they put you beside a female passenger?  duck 

Now to the story of my personal disgustingness. Last March returning from Cameroon (DLA-CDG, CDG-BOS) was quite the ordeal. The temp/humidity at Douala was about 100 and I was already quite nasty with sweat. We boarded the A340 in a fairly orderly manner, but then the police kept us from departing, I suspect they were trying to shake AF down for a bribe. This kept us sitting in the now steaming A340 with no APU and no land-based a/c for about an hour. (If it had been daytime, we would have died) I was not the only one on that flight to sweat completely through his seat cushion, but at least we were all stinky together. We finally pushed back, but the a/c was just not up to the task, and I discovered my #1 gripe with the A330/340: NO BLOWN AIR NOZZLES for the pax! It wasn't until we were at altitude that things began to cool. Arrived at CDG (aka Busland), and upon rising from my seat, the stench of "jungle-butt" mixed with B.O. was so strong it almost overpowered ME. After a lengthy wait in the useless terminal (Schiphol has showers, at least!) I boarded my A330 to Boston, where I sat next to a Nantucket native returning from a vacation in Spain, to whom I apologized profusely throughout the whole flight. I sure wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes, but I just plain had no other choice. He acted politely, and that made an impression on me. But I was that stinker, and there wasn't much I could have done about it. I know I'll cut the next stinker I sit beside a little slack. Maybe you will, too?

[Edited 2006-01-02 13:50:46]
Garbage stinks; trash don't!

Daleaholic

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:35 pm

HeHe this reminds me of Kindergarten Cop, I think. Where Arnie is on the plane and he breaks that Pencil because the kid threw his truck at arnie rotfl 
Religion is an illusion of childhood... Outgrown under proper education.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos