Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GVWOW

RE: That Repulsive Guy Next To You

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:20 pm

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 37):
I hate to be the one to break this to you, but has it occured to you that you were pretty much molested?

Quoting F27XXX (Reply 37):
And pedophilia.

It crossed my mind. Since the flight attendants saw everything that happened and he was continuing his journey to Frankfurt, I didn't do anything about it. It seemed like he was A: some pathetic old fart just trying to help, or B: A paediphile who would be "dealt with" by the crew. Rest assured I didn't ignore the situation completely!  Wink

2H4

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:25 pm

Quoting StMawganE14 (Reply 45):
took off his shoes and socks as soon as we took off.

Ha....just like in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles:

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Timology

Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:59 pm

The best: GA AMS-SIN. Max. 30 people on this flight. Almost everyone took a row for themselves to sleep. Too bad a lot of people came on at SIN.

The worse: There was this family (mom, dad, 2 kids) on HV AMS - TFS. The dad complaint the whole flight they put them on two rows, while he asked for them to sit on one row. Everytime a F/A came by he asked why and what for and how he would never fly HV again. (I don't disagree though, the airline's awfull IMO) But, if you get your boarding pass, you can see the row your seat is on, then why don't you complain to the ground staff right away?
"Arm in arm we are the harmless sociopaths"

ultrapig

Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:23 am

Ok beat this-in the 80's I'm on a TWA L1011 from CDG to JFK its Ecumenical Day!

On my right an orthodox rabbi and a Catholic Priest

On My Left a Islamic Iman and a Greek orthodox Priest

I'm in the middle seat of the 2-5-2.

So where does it say in the Koran,l Old testament or New Testament that Baths are prohibited and you shouldn't wash your clothes-

And please don't ask for this m post to be deleted I am treating all of the great major religions equally!!

Brendan03

Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:40 am

Can't remember the year or what not of this but I've never really had many bad experiences but when I was alot younger (around 10'ish I'm assuming) Ion DPS-MEL (A300, GA. Red Eye) There was this enormus woman sitting in the K side aisle and everyone that needed to use the rear toilets had to walk to the middle galley/gap, walk over to the A-side of the aisle and walk up the back, I remember her sitting there for most of the flight, I needed to use the toilet once and was sleepy and asked if I could squeeze past and she had the nerve to go off at me!
Coolier than thou.

jush

Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:40 am

I sat down in an A346 from LH and sat over the wing next to the window seat.
My neighbour was a really nice Chilenian but there was this annoying girl in the row behind us.
At the beginning I thought she is quite nice as she talked a lot to her neighbour a horny guy I reckon cause he was some 30 years older than she was.

I said she talked a lot (A LOT!!!). And eventually my neighbour and I knew her life-story although not talking to her and we were pissed off.
When my neighbour grabbed his earphones I just thought great idea and we tuned in to a less pissy radio station.
After the night (she thankfully slept LONG) the whole shit started again but then we only had 2 hours left of flight.

so having said that my neighbours were always nice but I reckon there are too many seats around you that you can't be lucky that they're all filled with nice people. You get twats and wankers eventually.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

pilotdude09

Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:53 am

Worst:
A Qantas F/A spilt the nice icy cold ice bucket all over me!! wonderfull, everone looking at me and laughing got up and they got me blankets and were very apologetic then gave me a QF shirt and moved me to business class  Smile

Havent flown alot by my self so dont have a best experience yet.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

lincoln

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting Jafa39 (Reply 35):
And why didn't you move to an empty row? I would have told him i had scabies and the invisible Spanish itchy things and got outta there, he sounds like a perv!!

You know, I don't know. Maybe it was some semblance of being polite (and since I would have had to climb over him with my carry on I couldn't have "discreetly" moved)... maybe it was the fear of him following me. I was much younger then (1997 or 98), so I guess I didn't fully evaluate my options.

Quoting Deltaflyertoo (Reply 43):
So I have to ask....anyone ever randomly end up w/ someone very attractive? Anything happen?

I thought about starting a thread on this: Once. Just once. And I was (perhaps both of us were) too young to really appreciate it. I was young and traveling solo (but not UM), as was the very attractive young woman next to me. We talked for the entire flight, I got a phone number, I lost a phone number and that was the end of that story.

Now I hope and pray that [Diety of choice] and/or the gate agent will smile upon me and something will happen... so far it hasn't. I'm not going to complain, because I've so far been lucky enough to avoid the 400-pound-guy-in-the-middle-seat.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

BlazingCessna

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:23 am

NWA MEM-LAX in Nov 2003. Not only was it an A321 that had an air conditioning problem, but due to a computer foul-up, I was separated from my girlfriend, and had to sit next to a very obnoxious black man. I use that to indicate that after he heard my "Southern" accent, he kept calling me a racist and many other derogatory comments. After about an hour of his badgering me, the flight attendant told him that he was becoming a disturbance as many other people had complained about his moronic ramblings. He told her to mind her own business and a few other expletives. He finally did calm down when he realized that I nor anyone else would not engage him in any type of conversation. About 30 minutes before landing he had to go to the restroom. The 30 minute rule was of course in effect and he was forced back into his seat by an off duty police officer from ONT. He began to badger him as well, and was arrested upon our arrival in LA, literally to the cheers of many passengers.

The best was when I was on a flight from ATL-PHX in Dec 1991. I was just starting my flight training and was reading the Student Pilots Handbook. The Head Flight attendant came back and asked if I wanted to see the flight deck. I was so grateful to her! I actually got to "Ride Shotgun" in the flight deck of the MD88 for the rest of the flight.
Flown on:722, 731, 732, 742, 752, 763, DC8, DC9, DC10, A300, A319, A320, A330, PIC on C172, PA28R, D55, A36, DC3

malmoaviation

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:52 am

Best; I was traveling on Industrial Discount tickets from CDG to ARN on AF. Business class for me with Salomon and Whine  Wink

Worst; TG from BKK to ARN. 50% of Swedens families with 4 year old kids were traveling on that flight, I got the worst kid behind me, of course.

Seems that everyone has had a Bad Day and a Good Day.

Rgds

trekster

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:03 am

Quoting Type-Rated (Reply 30):
Ada Quonsett

I wish she was my granny, very nice old lady lol

Best flt was my LHR to SFO flt via LAX. Had a great seat, near the overwing exit, but not exit row. No seat in front of me, and by a window. But the tv did not work so had to move after take off to the rear cabin. Had a aisle seat and the middle was empty. There was a nice chinese gentleman by the window and we chatted every now and then. Got chatting to the crew when they did the service and she said come have a chat in a bit. So got up for a walk and ended up being taken on a tour of the F/J and upperdeck J cabin by the CSD. Really nice lady. Got left upstairs having a glass of wine, and ended up leaving with a handful of fruit which i was dieing for lol. On the MD80 flt i was seated in a exit row next to a very nice couple on a round the world. They had just come in from Nadi and were telling me about it. English couple as well, lived in Northamptam where i used to go to schoo. Best flt Smile

Worst was way home. Standy, flt full, needed to get home. Jumpseat on a LAXLHR Sad No sleep at all. Not really sat by anyone annoying. Though on my LHRLAX flt the guy infront kept putting his chair back, with me being 6ft2 i had no room. Kept shifting and that meant i was hittinghis seat. I Laughed at one point at the film and he stood and yelled at me to stop kicking his seat. He even complained to the FA. He came by to say he had complained, but saw straight away my height and said sorry
Where does the time go???

LMP737

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:05 am

Worst for me was when I was seated next to a professor from the University of Illinois. Reason I knew this is because she told me right off the bat and proceeded to spend the entire flight giving her opinion about everything under the sun. Then the subject naturally went to the airline business. She went on a tirade about how expensive flying commercial was compared to what it "used" to be. Diplomaticaly as possible I told her adjusted for inflation the price of an airline tickect has gone down since deregulation. She then informed me I was mistaken. Not to contradict the know it all professor I let the subject drop. At this point she started to babble about something else.

Needless to say once the aircraft pulled up the gate I was ready to get off as quickly as possible.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

TupolevTu154

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:05 am

LGW-TLS. Shortly after pushback from LGW I had to notice a woman behind me who was terrified of flying, and her two kids, one about 4 and the other about 7. We were taxiing for departure when the 4 year old starts being annoying...

4 yr old:Mummy
Parent:yes?
4 yr old: Ummm... can't rememba *gargle*
This was repeated at least 20 times, I know she was only about 4, but still the parent could have done something instead of sitting in silence!

The 7 year old fell asleep as we were taxiing to the threshold. She was also asking questions excessively beforehand. So we were climbing out, passing about 4000ft and she wakes up and says "Are we landing?" Then there's the typical "Are we there yet?" every 10 minutes.

I'm only 14 but if I was a parent I would do something more than sit in silence even if I was terrified of flying!

Tom  Cool

SKA380

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:13 am

Great thread !

I haven't really had any horrible flights, but one sure come off as a flight i will never forget.
I was on a LH744 from BKK - FRA, and was seated between 2 young boys about my age. One of them wanted to sit with his wife, so he was switched with the man sitting next to her.
As i was waiting for my new "seatmate" i saw this man in his 50's coming down the aisle, literally shaking his way and struggling to get into his seat next to me! LOL, that is a sight i will never forget.
After he opened his first beer, trying to repair some obvious damage to his body, i had to ask:
"sooo, had a rough weekend in BKK did you?"
In witch he answered "try 6 months!"

After this he started telling me his story, where he had gone on a 4 weeks vacation to BKK, started partying all around Thailand, and woke up 6 months later. He told me all kinds of stories of what he had don't there, stuff you wouldn't believe a man at his age and state could pull through.

Every time he requested a new beer, he asked for 2. And when the F/A kindly told him he could only get 1 at the time, he replied politely "alright.. you're the one who have to run for the next" In witch he gulped it down in 5 seconds, just to press the call button again. Needless to say he got 2 beers after that. After about 8-9 beers he stopped shaking, and seemed to be able to function normally.
I fell asleep after quite a few hours, and woke up a couple hours before landing just to find "Fritz" still gulping down beers..
I tried to talk to him again, but his before mixture between German and English (witch was surprisingly enough understandable) had now been converted into a general mix of babbling. Even the guy on my other side couldn't understand him anymore, and he was German!

Fritz's boss had been kind enough to buy a return ticket for him, so he could get him back to Germany. I don't think my boss would care enough to do something like that to me..

One of my most enjoyable flights was from HKG - MNL on CX. Exxellent airline and great service! And to top it off, i was sharing a 3 seater with a beautiful Filippina that happens to work as F/A for CX but was going home for the holidays. We chatted along, and every time my drink was empty she went to the galley herself to fill it up for me! And since she knew all of the crew that was working on the flight, she made them go to business class and get a bottle of champagne to me that i could bring with me.

Certanly 2 flights i will never forget!

Leif

WF2BNN
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:34 am

For those of you who think Repulsive was to strong of a word, and those of you who don't know the meaning of it:

re·pul·sive
adj.

1. Causing repugnance or aversion; disgusting. See Synonyms at offensive.
2. Tending to repel or drive off.
3. Physics. Opposing in direction: a repulsive force.

Here is one of my good luck stories.

When I lived in Orlando, FL I went home to Northern Norway to visit my parents for a week. Traveling by my self as I do many times, I was happy to see a guy my age with a Norwegian passport in front of me in AMS (not that I only talk to norwegians, but it's an ice breaker to have something in common right). We started talking and it turned out he was going on the same US 762 flight to PHL as me. We changed seats with the guy next of me and shared the two seats on the right of the plane. So we chatted the whole flight, and it went buy faster than any other trans Atlantic flight I've been on. But the thing that really made me remember this flight was that when I ordered a beer, they asked me how old I was. I replayed that I was old enough to drink  Smile (This was 8/31/03 , I would be 21 9/11/03 and also I've been drinking legally since 1999 back home - also we just left AMS for cryin' out loud) I got one beer and one whiskey - but that was it (I had not had anything to drink prior to that). I explained that I was less than two Weeks from being 21... It ended up with the head stewardess came to talk to me (I did not get aggravated) we had a great long talk about what she did for a living and what I did (I worked in Walt Disney World at the time). She said "wait here for a sec", she came back a minute later with a whole bottle of REAL Champagne with gold leafs in it, gave it to me and said "here, have a happy birthday". She also gave me her card and told me to email or call her. I just found this card this x-mas and I will send her an email. To me, this made the long trip and the 2,5 hr flight inside thunderclouds with CRAZY children running aroud on the way to Disney from PHL-MCO worth it. Also I'll never forget flying in between some really bad thunderstorms before landing in MCO.

Great stories guys and gals, keep it coming.

Mats in TRD
What goes up, must come down.

bhmbaglock

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting Pilotdude09 (Reply 56):
A Qantas F/A spilt the nice icy cold ice bucket all over me!! wonderfull, everone looking at me and laughing got up and they got me blankets and were very apologetic then gave me a QF shirt and moved me to business class

I'd rate this as a win personally. Qantas business is nice!
Where are all of my respected members going?

access-air

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:25 am

Quoting GVWOW (Reply 34):
(My brother pushes his seat back)
(Guy behind him pushes it forward with his feet)
(Brother pushes seat back)
(Guy pushes it forward)
Guy: "Don't push your seat back, it intrudes upon my personal space"
Brother "just push yours back, it'll make the difference"
Guy: "I don't want mine back"
*Ding*
Flight attendant with high squeeky voice (to guy) "HE PAYED FOR HIS SEAT HE PAYED FOR HIS SEAT"
Guy (to brother): Why don't you upgrade to first class! THEN you CAN push your seat back!!!
Flight attendant "HE PAYED FOR HIS SEAT HE PAYED FOR HIS SEAT"
Me (To Guy): "Why don't YOU upgrade to first class, then you can leave your seat forward"
Guy: "Do you think I can afford such a thing"
FA: "BE QUIET!"

(Fifteen minutes later)
(I push my seat back)
(Guy's wife shoves it forward)
*Ding*....................

Personally,

the two of you (you brother and you) sound like a couple of spoiled rotten little brats and as mild mannered as I am I would have probably reacted just as this gentleman had. Just because the seat CAN recline does not mean you NEED to do it especially when you are obviously are annoying another person.
The flight attendant should have been abit more sympathectic to the Gentleman instead of approving of your ill behaviour. More than likely her unwillingness to help him by getting you and your brother stop acting like baffoons, probably lost a loyal passenger.
Common courtesy on your part should have been the order of the day instead of smarting off back to him, telling him to recline his seat. You are very lucky he didnt get really pissed off and push you so far forward that you flew into next Thursday.....

Cheers and Happy New Year, Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

GVWOW

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:19 am

Quoting Access-Air (Reply 66):
The flight attendant should have been abit more sympathectic to the Gentleman instead of approving of your ill behaviour. More than likely her unwillingness to help him by getting you and your brother stop acting like baffoons, probably lost a loyal passenger.
Common courtesy on your part should have been the order of the day instead of smarting off back to him, telling him to recline his seat. You are very lucky he didnt get really pissed off and push you so far forward that you flew into next Thursday.....

And that is what happens when two particularly annoying passengers happen to sit near each other. Have you ever needed to sleep during a flight? You'll see someday...

Samurai 777

Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:27 am

Best: In November, 1999, I managed to get an upgrade to business class on a Canadian Airlines 732 with complimentary upgrade coupons. This was on YEG-YVR, and I came across an older man in his 60s stting by the window seat. I asked him if it mettered to him whether he preferred window or aisle seats. He said it didn't matter and decided to move so I could have the window seat, which, like probably most a.net forumers here, is what I prefer. Upon talking to him, I learned that he was a retired pilot who flew mostly 732s for PWA (Pacific Western Airlines) and later Canadian. We had an interesting conversation most of the way. The lunch was a turkey prsociutto sandwich and I also had a wine and a can of Molson Canadian beer. Despite the flight flying at an unusually low level at FL220, literally right in the clouds and turbulence closer to Vancouver, it was a pleasant flight.

Worst: On an Air Canada 732 also from YEG-YVR on May, 2000, I ended up with a big guy (at least 300 lbs) who sat in the middle seat right next to me. The guy looked well dressed enough with shirt and a sweater, but he had a lot of BO. I had never smelled anybody who had that much BO since in the locker rooms during my junior high school years in the mid-1980s. There was no way I could have moved to another seat - the flight was totally full. In fact, it was oversold. The flight ended up being seriously delayed for at least 90 minutes because of ATC problems in Vancouver and that there were a lot of pax with wheelchairs on that flight, including a paraplegic who had a motorized chair. Then redemption came when the FA announced that because of the flight being oversold, she needed to have a passenger volunteer to give up a seat for another person whose flight was more urgent. Mr. BO got up and decided to give up his seat. I was so glad when that happened.

I've personally never had any real trouble with kids on flights despite that I've flown on a lot of flights. Probably the worst I've ever had was in business class on an AC 762 from YVR to YYZ on July, 2003, as there was a mother with a 2-year old son. The kid was right behind me, and well into the flight after dinner, he started throwing a loud tantrum, probably because he didn't like it when the windows were being shut before the movies were to be shown. The boy also tried to hide under his seat when the FA tried to help calm him. He did kick my seat a few times although not that hard, but his mother sternly told him to cut it out. And after that, he calmed down and actually slept until landing.

More recently, on an AC A319 on YEG-YVR in May 2005, I had a Chinese boy about eight years old sit in the middle seat next to me. He turned out to be a very quiet and probably shy kid. But he started to have a terrible earache on descent toards YVR due to air pressure change - definitely not uncommon in children. The poor kid was crying, but didn't scream or wail and his mom in the aisle seat next to him was trying to comfort him. A male FA advised that the boy put a napkin over each ear and chew some gum, both methods which helped a bit. I talked with his mom and she said that she and her family were supposed to be connecting to a Cathay Pacific flight to HKG out of YVR. She was a pleasant lady and the boy was in no way a real nuisance. This was actually one of the better flights I had involving a child passenger.

don81603

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:09 am

2 years ago, YYZ-YWG. AC320. "Little Johnny". How this brat survived, I'll never know. He was a nuclear powered octopus. Running, jumping, yelling, eating chocolate, peeking over the seat back saying "I fo yeas ol!!!" The entire 2 1/2 hours all we heard from his mother was "Johnny come here. Johnny sit down. Johnny, where are you going? Johnny stop that. Look what you did to the man's trousers. Johnny come back here, Johnny behave, Johnny this, that and the other thing.
The best was MH from TPE-LAX. 3 seats all to myself, with no one in the rows in front of, or behind. SWEET!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

pilot21

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:26 am

Some interesting stories  Smile

Amongst my worst was an AF JFK-CDG flight a few yrs ago in coach where a smelly old French woman (not being rude, I love France, but this lady stunk!) was beside me, and fell asleep on my shoulder all night, I kept having to jerk my shoulder up and down to get her to move off it..not nice..

One of the best I had in coach was on a BA B747-200 from LHR-SFO, when they had economy upstairs, it was a squeeze, but there were only about 25-30 people up there, so it was a nice break from the crowds. Anyway got talking to 2 business men beside me on there way back home, we talked about a ton of things, and even stood for a few hours close to the top of the stairs while the steward brought us a ton of drinks (the good old day of free booze and pre 9/11 standing around in groups.) the flight flew by (pardon the pun!)
Aircraft I've flown: A300/A310/A320/A321/A330/A340/B727/B732/B733/B734/B735/B738/B741/B742/B744/DC10/MD80/IL62/Bae146/AR

dw9115

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:41 am

The worst flight I have ever been on was a TED (United) flight from Orlando (MCO) to Washington Dulles (IAD). I always prefer taking TED over regular United when available I some how managed to get stuck in the middle seat between a kid that was travel by it self and a guy that had to weigh 500 pounds well maybe actually 350+ his rolls wear sitting on me and he smelled like cheese and his hair was greasy and had dandruff that every time he moved his head fell on me. The kid was fairly well behaved until about 30 minutes into the flight then started to smash a toy into the seat in front of him then he start scream to change the channel on the in flight programming not realizing that TED only has the one TV program on its flights. The flight attendant came over and asked him to be quiet and I kid you not the little bastard told the flight attendant to "Fuck Off Bitch" I was so surprised but at the same time almost started laughing. Later on I opened my laptop to do some work then the whale next to me starts asking what hardware my computer has and telling what the best stuff for gaming is then out of no wear the kid slams his toy right up against my laptop screen and starts laughing I wanted to grab him and kill that little shit. The only thing nice about the flight was the flight attendant pulled me aside after the flight and took me to customer service area at Dulles and they gave me a $500 voucher for having to put up with all of that. I thought that was really nice them considering I did not even ask about it or complain to them about it.

Air380

Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:42 am

Lots of good experiences, like the time some soldiers got shore leave from Iraq and connected DL FRA-ATL. He was a helicopter gunner and practically beamed with happiness after I gave him a free alcoholic beverage coupon, reason, no booze in Iraq. We chatted for hours.

Worst: Past summer FRA-DTW with NW. My own kids on window and isle were happy and this 7-year-old and his Mom sat next to me in the middle isle. Mom promptly goes to sleep and 7 year old kicks seat in front of him. And guess who the people glared at and complained at? Yes, me, they did not believe that I was not the Mom. So I "talked" to the kid and he stops, but watches an R-rated movie. People talk to me again and tell me how bad that is for the kid. Remember - he was not my kid!  Smile

Mainliner

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:42 am

anyone ever randomly end up w/ someone very attractive?

I boarded another WN flight (this time LAX-IND after spring break), and having been in the B group, I knew my chances of finding a window seat were slim. Once on board, the one window seat I found was next to two very attractive college girls. I gave it a shot and asked if that seat was taken...sure enough it wasn't. The airline geek in me couldn't resist taking a picture of an AC A320 in the special scheme outside the window (the one with the employees names forming a maple leaf). The one next to me said "So, do you like planes or something?" I explained that I was in Purdue's flight program...after which they said they were heading back to IU after having spent the week partying in Hermosa Beach. They kept asking me the usual "so if you were born here, why do you go to school in Indiana" questions...they were nice enough, but I wasn't trying to get a number or anything. I'm not really into the party girls, and I'm quite happy with my current girlfriend.

Besides, they go to IU  box  .
Every flight counts.

NASCARAirforce

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:50 am

Quoting Doona (Reply 47):
I don't have any problems whatsoever with Italians, except when they sit next to me on an airplane. In my experience, they NEVER share armrests, they like to rest feet, elbows, heads, etc. on me. They also seem to enjoy spilling food on my shoes.

Hey if that Italian looked like Monica Bellucci, she can rest whatever she wants on me.

GVWOW

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:00 am

Really? In this case we really wanted to sleep, and the guy behind us was one of the few up reading, so we figured It wouldn't be too unpleasant for him to read sitting back.
Also, I find your tone innapropriate for this discussion. It is my belief that you should save your direct insults for something much worse than my story.

How could she have helped him? She would have lost us as loyal passengers had she told us we can't put our seats back.

You are very lucky he didnt get really pissed off and push you so far forward that you flew into next Thursday.....

What am I lucky he didn't do? Physically attack me?

I ask of you not to make this kind of insulting comment in the future. It makes the forum less like a civil discussion and more like something unenjoyable.

thebry

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:06 am

Best: Away on a business trip in New York, waiting to board an AA flight from JFK to SFO. At the time, the Admiral's Club was packed, so I didn't have much personal space. Some guy tried to sit next to me while balancing a bowl of fruit and a plate of pretzels in one hand, and his mobile phone in the other (pressed against his ear). He dropped the bowl of fruit and pretzels in my lap! Made a mess of my pants and got on my shirt as well (mellon and stuff). He felt so bad, he went up to the counter and had me upgraded to business class (B763). That was a sweet trip -- small price to pay. What a cool guy. All class. Turned what could have been a terrible situation into something nice.

WORSE:! (sorry if this is graphic, but it must be told) I'd just finished up a two day string of exhausting meetings in Tokyo and was on a non-stop NRT-SJC AA B772 heading home. My company flies us business class on all international trips, so I used personal miles to upgrade from there to First Class. AA's trans-pacific International Flagship First Class service is amazing. However, the experience was soured shortly after the first meal service. I had a window seat, and there was a Japanese guy next to me in the aisle seat. I remember thinking to myself how cool it was that I'd just wrapped up business in Tokyo and was heading home, while this guy was probably setting off for the States for his business trip. Anyway, I'd reclined my seat to the "lay flat" position to get some shut-eye, and drifted off to sleep. I was awakened by a nudging / shaking sensation. I slid my eyeshade up a bit by furrowing my brow. What I saw cracked me up then really grossed me out. The guy was masturbating under a blanket while watching the remake of "Charlie's Angels". I could clearly see his fist going up and down -- rapidly under the blanket. He was really going at it -- so much, that it shook my seat. I rolled my eyes back in my head thinking to myself how frickin' crazy this guy was to be doing that on a plane. Before I could say or do anything, he apparently finished up, and used the blanket to wipe up his mess. He just tossed the blanket onto the floor as if it were no big deal. Made me think twice about EVER using another airline blanket that hasn't been shrink-wrapped in plastic. Sometimes people can really be animals.

TheCheese

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:10 am

Heh, these are bringing back memories... some good, some repressed. *grin*

Good: Early Jan 1990, ANC-PDX on a Delta 757. Due to volcano activity near ANC (ah, good old Alaska. You never hear about flights in "civilized" places getting disrupted by volcanoes) the airport had been closed to nearly all traffic for several weeks. The volcano (I think it was Augustine, but could've been Spurr) calmed down some, and rather than take an early flight out (many people were taking the earliest flights possible, to avoid being stuck in ANC longer), I decided to stick to my original itinerary.

Good call! 757 to PDX, and there are MAYBE 10 pax on board. Honestly, I think that the F/As outnumbered passengers onboard. I had four rows all to myself, until just before pushback, when the f/a's asked if we would all sit in first for take-off. As I recall, there were no objections.

That was a great flight, got to know the attendants by name (and vice-versa!) and had a lovely time.

Bad: Hawaiian Airlines L-1011 service ANC-HNL, in "asian" 3-6-3 configuration. Now, Alaskans aren't known for their "diminutive" stature, and packing them into an L-1011 that way is just cruel. I had the middle seat between my 200-pound (uh, 95kg) Aunt Mabel, and a fat guy (and bear in mind, at the time I was 6' 3" (195cm) and 220lbs/100kg myself. I remember breathing in when Auntie and this other guy breathed out a lot.

S12PPL

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:22 am

Worst:
RDU-DFW-PDX back in 1997 on AA. We were supposed to be on CO through IAH, but t-storms made us switch to AA, because we were "supposed" to get in only a few minutes later than our CO flight with the delays. This was a school trip, so there were a bunch of us, plus chaperones. We board our AA flight, and proceed to park in the penalty box for nearly 4 hours...and I couldn't get the kid next to me to shut up so I could sleep. I was dead tired. Then AA scolded us when we got to DFW about us "holding the flight up". And that we were "lucky that they held the flight for us....They could have just left, and stranded us in DFW all night." Right. We get on board and quickly realize our group pretty much WAS the flight. Maybe a handful of other pax besides our group.

Best(Tie for best):

A few years ago flying PDX-ORD on UA, 757. We were placed in an exit row becuase UA screwed the hell out of our reservation. They booked us on the wrong date...anyway. We were put in E-Plus for the flight. Anyway. I was put in a middle seat between a really nice older coupple. The husband had the window, the wife the aisle. After take off they both noticed I was trying to peer out the window to see stuff. The husband asked after the seatbelt sign was turned off if I wanted to trade seats with him! I was very thankful, and told him "Yes! Thank-you!" I was only 16 or 17 at the time.

Then in 2003, I was on a non-rev ticket between PDX and MCO for a day trip on DL. Flying home I was supposed to be routed MCO-ATL-PDX, but the MCO-ATL flight was VERY full, and the gate agent said it was un-likely I could get on, so he just re-booked me on the MCO-SLC flight, and I'd connect there to PDX. This flight was pretty empty in frist, with 18 seats available! When boarding started, a guy that was out in MCO with me, and myself were both bumped up to first class! I was thrilled, as it was the first time I was ever going to get to turn left on a 757 when boarding through the 2L door. It was probably the most enjoyable flight I'd had in a LONG time. We chatted about aviation almost the entire flight, and had a total blast in first class. The FA noticed my QX employee badge, and we chatted with her when she wasn't bussy serving us dinner, etc.

We were very thankful not to have to occupy the last two seats in coach, as we would have had to be seated next to a middle school marching band from LA out performing at Disney World. They were loud in the terminal, and we feared they would be in coach, too.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

christiaan

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:40 am

My best was on QF, LAX-SYD. Sitting in front of me was a recently retired USAir Captain on 767. He was an Aussie and had a great aviation career, including flying the Calder DC8 for Braniff. Excellent stories.
"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities" Frank Lloyd Wright 1932

United_fan

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:41 am

My worst was when I flew LAS-ORD on Ted in April. I got stuck in the aisle bulkhead seat next to this beluga whale of a woman. As I sat down she informed me that 'Im too fat to put down the armrest'. No shit. I was crammed into the edge of my seat for 4 hours. When we landed I half expected the tail to break off she was so fat.
"Suspicion is a matter of opinion"

USADreamliner

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:50 am

Continental 738 LAS-IAH:

Man around 35-40 y/o, he looks professional.
He took his shoes off  Wow! ... and the rest is history.

Same as if you drink dont drive.

If you take your shoes off, wash your feet...please.

USADreamliner  Smile  Wink

lincoln

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting USADreamliner (Reply 81):
If you take your shoes off, wash your feet...please.

Now, that's just intentionally rude, in my mind. Do you take your shoes off when you go to the supermarket? To the movies? (Ok, don't answer that, I really don't want to know). Yes, I understand your feet would feel better had you bought more comfortable shoes, and you'd like some relief, but, what's next, prople taking off their shirts and pants? (Shudder).

There's also the potential emergency-landing/quick exit scenerio...

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

N751PR

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:21 am

My worst: Well, it's definitely not as bad what you guys have went through. I didn't mention it in my latest trip report but the businessman that had the window seat seemed to have been pretty stressed and short tempered the entire flight. I tried to make sure not to get into his bad side but thankfully there was no one between us.

Best: Well I have have three: two were in two of my flights on domestic first class w/ NW and AS. My seatmates on both flights were courteous and I had a good time hearing their past experiences of flying as well as their careers (something I've been finding interesting since I'm now just months from graduating high school). My third was a fellow Filipino on my KE flight back in October in which we discussed about heading "home" (the Philippines). He was surprised though that I wasn't bound for MNL or any other city in the Philippines.
"Ladies and Gentlemen it's happy hour. You will get two approaches for the price of one."

QFinSD

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:49 am

Worst - SYD to LAX - the guy that sat next to me was an indian gentlemen with a turban. It was obvious he did not shower for a couple of days or he had not washed his hair for a long time (I'm not accumstomed to indian religion so I'm not sure if they can wash their hair or not whwn in a turban). Imagine sitting next to someone who had not crapped their pants with a hint of vindaloo - not a fun ride - in fact the FA's were not very discreet by spraying a smelling agent through our section of the plane - everyone was complaining and I'm sure the guy must have known everyone was just disgusted. The woman who was scheduled to sit next to us (I was on the window, he on the aisle) in the middle seat immediatelt asked for a new seat assignment - lucky the flight in economy was not full. Felt sorry for the guy though and satyed against my better judgement - 13 hours of hell!

Best - SAN to LAS - on Southwest and sat next to two strippers going to the Vegas for the weekend. Absoloutly hot and found our where they were performing and made sure I went with my buddies to get lap dances from them. These girls looked like they walked right out of Playboy and I'm not ashamed to say I had an eyeful all the way. HOT!

Espion007

Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:31 am

Quoting N484ER (Reply 5):
beautiful exotic blue parrot

Was he sure it was alive? Big grin

I never really had a memorable experience that was negative. The best tho, was when i was sitting next to a seven year old and her mother on a AF 777 on our way from paris to DC. I couldnt have sat next to a more polite child. The problem was I was also sitting behind a 2 year old. Of course he didnt cry much, and i was not guilty at all of reclining endlessly Big grin
Snakes on a Plane!

ContnlEliteCMH

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:20 pm

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 42):
As usual, the buckeyes (for those of you non Americans, a buckeye is a type of nut), which is the perfect name for OSU because they tend to crack under pressure... and that will happen against Notre Dame at the Fiesta Bowl, and it won't be because of terrible officiating like Michigan was treated to the other day.

And as usual, for my international friends, the mighty Ohio State Buckeyes (a buckeye is indeed a nut, and grows on a buckeye tree; Ohio is called "the Buckeye state") did not crack under pressure. No sir. They fairly handily thumped the Notre Lame Crying Irish and their coach Chunky Charlie this afternoon, even more readily than they beat the Wolverweenies in November. Save two blocked field goal attempts, and two critical turnovers, the score may have been more lopsided than 34-20. That's our fourth straight bowl win; it's Notre Dame's eighth straight loss. Our coach improved his winning percentage to over 80% with the win today. Crack? Nope.

But I digress as I bask in the glow of victory. Winning always makes opposing fans a little less... repulsive?  Wink
Christianity. Islam. Hinduism. Anthropogenic Global Warming. All are matters of faith!

piercey

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:03 pm

Quoting AS739X (Reply 18):
sat behind Charles Woodsen this morning to SNA. A current Raiders and ex-Michigan Wolverine (he was even wearing a wolversine jacket). That was repulsive sitting near him.

Smile  Smile  Smile

Quoting ContnlEliteCMH (Reply 86):
And as usual, for my international friends, the mighty Ohio State Buckeyes (a buckeye is indeed a nut, and grows on a buckeye tree; Ohio is called "the Buckeye state") did not crack under pressure. No sir. They fairly handily thumped the Notre Lame Crying Irish and their coach Chunky Charlie this afternoon, even more readily than they beat the Wolverweenies in November. Save two blocked field goal attempts, and two critical turnovers, the score may have been more lopsided than 34-20. That's our fourth straight bowl win; it's Notre Dame's eighth straight loss. Our coach improved his winning percentage to over 80% with the win today. Crack? Nope.

piercey - a p'd off, diehard, used to live in SBN fan says about OSU.....

*the rest of this post has been edited due to content. We apologize about any incovenience *
Well I believe it all is coming to an end. Oh well, I guess we are gonna pretend.

vegasplanes

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:13 pm

So I have to ask....anyone ever randomly end up w/ someone very attractive?

I have sat with more than my fair share of strippers flying up to Vegas from SoCal on a Friday afternoon, some are bitchy, some plasticy, some are fun, BUT all are hot D:

The Bar at BUR, across from WN gates, on said Friday afternoon's is great for some pre-flight people watching.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:15 pm

Hey, what happened to that funny story brought by "brons2" about the huge guy seating next to him and the "window guy"??? That's a pretty fun one, but think it was deleted...

Any info?

Cheers!
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

SKA380

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:47 pm

I don't see why people get so pissed off when the person in front of them reclines their seat.
I'm 1.94 myself, and i never have a problem with this.
I look on it this way.. As long as the seat reclines, then the space it reclines upon belong to the person in front of me. That's not my personal space.
And the same goes for me, the spacing behind me that the seat reclines on, is my space, and i'm free to use it as i want.
Exept from when the meal is served, then its just plain common sense to have the seat upright.

Any views on this?

Leif

WF2BNN
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:24 am

Wow, I must say there is a lot of good stories out there.

I just reserved seats for my TRD-AMS-IAH-LAX-HNL-EWR-OSL-TRD next week, mostly K seats on the 767's with CO. Let's hope "That repulsive guy" don't come see me  Wink

Mats in TRD
What goes up, must come down.

kaneporta1

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:46 am

Although I'm one of the lucky people that fly very often, and I fly alone 99% of the time. I never had a bad experience. I guess the worst seatmate was a guy on a flight between LHR and ATH. He just felt the need to tell me his life story and he even asked to have my leftover food. Worst flight overall would be in a OA ATR, seating right by the engine in that 29" pitch seat.

Best flights, I've had a few:
DL from MDW to ATL we flew across a wall of thunderstorms extending from lake Michigan all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. We had to fly parallel to it and around it, and there was severe turbulence during the whole flight. It took 3 hours instead of 1.45. But sitting in that comfy DL shuttle 738, whatching all this amazing spectacle was really worth it.

DL, ATL to LAX. I was with my girlfriend on that, with a pre-selected exit row seat right across the FA. He was really friendly and talked for most of the flight. He got us extra drinks and snacks although my girlfriend had already made some amazing sandwiches. It was also the straightest flight ever, we took off from rw 26L and into 25L.

OA, ATH to LHR, Jan 2, 2006 (yesterday), 737-400. I flew non-rev to London and I was the last person to get on the plane. My seat was 16B and as soon as I got there, I was sat between a family who had the whole row. Just before the door closed the FA came to me and tol me to get up because there was a fare paying pax that turned up in the last minute. I was afraid I was going to get bumped off the plane but instead I got the jumpseat and flew in the cockpit for the duration of the flight. Both pilots were really cool and talkative, that FA that got me there kept coming in and asking me if I wanted anything to drink/eat and I even told the pilots about A.net.
I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather, not terrified and screaming, like his passengers

chase

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:26 am

I was flying AA IND-DFW around the beginning of November. My wife was using her laptop, and the male F/A complimented her background image, so I was already impressed with the service on this flight. A few minutes later, my ink pen leaked all over my hand. A female F/A saw me heading back to the lav with the pen in my right hand, and my left hand cupped directly under the right to catch the drips. Get this: She brought me two bottles of vodka and said to wash my hands in it to wash the ink off. It helped, but not completely. Then she brought me sugar packets and said to mix them with the liquid soap and wash my hands with that, to exfoliate. This got even more of the ink off. There was still some that wouldn't wash off (embarassing as I was flying to a funeral) but she really helped a lot. I was very impressed. Oh, I almost forgot - she even prepared me a "take home bag" with sugar packets and two more vodka bottles in it!

ReidYYZ

Sun Jan 08, 2006 1:51 am

Quoting SKA380 (Reply 90):
I don't see why people get so pissed off when the person in front of them reclines their seat.

I agree, if the seat is equipped for it, then you have the right to use it.

Quoting GVWOW (Reply 34):
Brother "just push yours back, it'll make the difference"
Guy: "I don't want mine back"

"Guy" was just being a dick.

Now having said all that, when I was younger and less congenial, one time I just reached under the seat ahead, and disconnected the hydroloc actuation cable. No argument. The pax in front got free booze from the F/A, everybody happy.

tjr16698

Sun Jan 08, 2006 10:24 pm

My worst was 100% self-inflicted.
Flying BA from GVA to LHR a few years ago. After a meeting with too much coffee I got to the airport, had a couple of beers while waiting then went straight to the plane. Sat down, thinking to go to the loo as soon as we were airborne until the FA announced that the toilets weren't working.
Nobody to blame but me, but that was a hell of a flight....
cheers
Russ

MKandiah

Mon Jan 09, 2006 7:22 am

My worst flight, bar none, was in September 1988: YYZ-LGW. The cabin I was in appeared to be occupied by people from a small town in Holland who had gone on holiday to Canada and they shouted across the aisles to each other. My neighbour was the leader in all of this and during dinner he managed to spill his glass of red wine on my shirt and then he managed to upset my dinner tray and spilt my white wine on my trousers! I was soaked and, despite all my best efforts, I stank of booze.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos