Topic Author

Aircraft Dispatchers On A.net

Tue Jan 03, 2006 12:52 pm

Just wondering how many current or past dispatchers there are on A.net

L-188

RE: Aircraft Dispatchers On A.net

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:07 pm

One here.

Worked for a 135 carrier for about 5 years doing that. After that job ended I got my license this past spring.

Just waiting for the feds to send me my permanent certificate.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Goldenshield

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:20 pm

There are several here that I know of, including myself, that fit into the U.S. variation of the term.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

flyidaho
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:25 pm

Right on! I hope you stick with it. Dispatchers make it happen! Lots of jobs out there right now too. My company is currently looking for 2-3 experienced dispatchers as we speak. If you love commercial aviation and have a operational mindset then dispatching is a great job.
I've been at it for 8 years now and until climbing mountains pays better I wouldn't want to do much else.

flypdx

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:30 pm

Quoting Flyidaho (Reply 3):
I've been at it for 8 years now and until climbing mountains pays better I wouldn't want to do much else.

Does that mean it pays well? I really don't know much about the profession. Also, what requirements are there to become a dispatcher?

Goldenshield

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:36 pm

here is a basic description of the job.

First and foremost, you have to be 23.

Secondly, you must be able to pass a written test, and oral and practical examination given by an FAA certified examiner, and it ain't cheap!
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

flyidaho
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:37 pm

Thought some of us could chat dispatch here and there. I started out, literally first day signed-off on the US Airways Express ERJ LGA desk! Ass kick central to say the least. Then worked the PHX CRJ desk for the next 2 years and it was great. Taught dispatch upgrade/transition on the CRJ700 & CRJ900 and was a dispatch ground school instructor as well. Went to #1 in seniority out of 28 dispatchers, then quit. I have now been working for a medium-sized freight airline dispatching A300B4-200 freighters and 747-200F. I thought the CRJ & DASH-8 were fun as hell jumpseat rides until I rode jump in our 747-200 into BOG at min's. Now that's fun.
I look forward in hearing from the rest of you dispatchers in the forum.
Dave

Goldenshield

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:40 pm

Mesa to Tradewinds. That IS quite a leap.  Wink

I wanted to get on with Tradewinds, but after about a year, I figured that starting with the regionals has allowed me to get a better grasp on my responsibilities and a LOT of experience—something that I couldn't get by only working 2 flights, or so, a day.

L-188

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:42 pm

Quoting Flyidaho (Reply 3):
My company is currently looking for 2-3 experienced dispatchers as we speak

Dude, you can't leave us hanging like that.

I am right now on month 7 of a 6th month contract, so I will probably be looking soon...So I figure I might as well ask.

L-188

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:45 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 5):
Secondly, you must be able to pass a written test, and oral and practical examination given by an FAA certified examiner, and it ain't cheap!

Just to clarify the Oral/Practical is just one test, not two. It only set me back $300 bucks plus the written for $85.

Goldenshield

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:47 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):
It only set me back $300 bucks plus the written for $85.

I was actually referring to the whole course, but yeah, I could've worded that better.  Wink

2H4

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:47 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 9):

Just to clarify the Oral/Practical is just one test, not two. It only set me back $300 bucks plus the written for $85.

If only my flight training were that inexpensive....  Sad

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

flyidaho
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:48 pm

Yeah, starting at the regional level is definitely beneficial. You get a lot of experience quickly, get in the cockpit, get to be at the heart of all operations and of course get travel bennies. Pay aint that great when starting out but can build quickly. In 1999 I started with Mesa at $24K, when I left after 5 years I had topped out at the then-current pay scale of $38K. I actually took a pay cut to come here but it will pay off in the end.
L-188-do you have any international experience?

L-188

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:50 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 10):
I was actually referring to the whole course, but yeah, I could've worded that better.

Since I had gotten laid off from that 135 job, a state workforce development program picked up the costs of the groundschool, room and board when I was there and transportation to the town it was located in. So the test fees where the only expenses I had.

Pretty good deal.

Goldenshield

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:53 pm

You took advantage of that 'flight follower' provision in the regulations. You lucked out on that one.  Wink

L-188

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:53 pm

Quoting Flyidaho (Reply 12):
L-188-do you have any international experience?

Not really, unfortunately.

Only a couple of medevacs I had to get into Canada, but those only came around once or twice a year.

L-188

Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:56 pm

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 14):
You took advantage of that 'flight follower' provision in the regulations. You lucked out on that one.

Actually we did the full groundschool, and I am glad I did. Provided more of a refresher.

flyidaho
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:01 pm

Flight Follower-I hate that term. Part 121 scheduled your a "aircraft dispatcher", Part 121 un-scheduled your a "flight follower". One can only be sched for 10 hours the other as many as they want. Its BS FAR's at their best.
I sure as hell don't answer the ops phone flight following and our ops center isn't referred to as flight following but you make a great point. Its just FAR reg's lingo.
L-188-you take two tests. One written-its a version of the ATP with a lot less pallet weight questions-and one test is the oral. Pass both and you win.

fxra

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:17 pm

I'll sign up, i get to play dispatcher for a living. WIll have been employed for 4 years as of 01 february, and on my second airline. Its a good job, and i love the jumpseating (looking forward to my annual trip this month0, and currently the pay is pretty good where i am.

later
jd
Visualize Whirled Peas

apodino

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:26 pm

I am a dispatcher with Air Wisconsin. I started here in July of 2004, that gives me about a year and a half with the company so far. Its a very rewarding job, and in my opinion, it beats working for a living. Thanks to overtime, I was over 35K in my first full year on the job, and since Appleton, WI has a very low cost of living, I can live a pretty decent lifestyle to say the least. The hours can suck, but I get access to the jumpseat, the ability to non rev, and benefits that are pretty comporable to any other job you could work. Plus the people I work with are an absolute blast to work with and I wouldn't trade them for anything. ZW is the first job I have held in any capacity with an airline. My first release was great, a BAe-146 into ASE. I was signed off on the CRJ a couple of hours later. Since we at Air Wisconsin divide our desks by Aircraft tail number, we work the same aircraft all day. Which means back in the good ole 146 days, you could be working flights in all four time zones at the same time, and you have to keep an eye on the weather everywhere. Its an awesome responsiblity.

I feel this is a good time to get in, because with airlines about ready to become profitable again, the industry in my opinion can't get any lower, so there really is nowhere to go but up.

When I got my license I did three tests. The first was the written, which I did while I was still a student at Embry-Riddle. The second was the practical exam, where I had to do a flight plan for a Boeing 727 flight. The third was the Oral exam. The latter two I did at Sheffield after finishing the dispatch class.

Its neat hearing the other stories on here from other dispatchers, and to see how other airlines do things differently than Air Wisky.

CX Flyboy

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:38 pm

Theres a couple from HKG lurking around here somewhere.

L-188

Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:02 pm

Quoting Flyidaho (Reply 17):
One written-its a version of the ATP with a lot less pallet weight questions-and one test is the oral. Pass both and you win

Uh, yup...took them both.

A lot of people however think the "Oral" and the "Practical" are two different boards. That was one sitting for me.

fxra

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:19 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 21):
A lot of people however think the "Oral" and the "Practical" are two different boards. That was one sitting for me.

One of the longest 4.5 hours of my life!!! Of all the exams i took in college (and i went on the long term plan), that one was the most nerve racking.

I took the tests in May of 01, hopeing to get in at FedEx GOCC (especially since FedEx paid for my license), but the reductions after 9/11 put a big damper on that. Took a job with TransMeridian in February 02, where the dispatchers did practically everything from arranging catering and ground handling to watching over scheduling at times (and at other times being the crew scheduler). That was a learning experience, not only getting the DX side but also the entire operations picture. Went to World in Nov 0f 03, and still here, still learning. Hopefully will be here a while.

Its a good job, good pay (now) and its different form day to day, with different fligths everyday and occasionally a real oddball city we'll do a flight too. I'm holding out though for the dream job... immigrating to SYD and working for QF....

later
jd
Visualize Whirled Peas

airkas1

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:16 pm

I'm studying to be an Operations Officer and am now in the 3rd (out of 4 in total) year. At the moment I'm a trainee with Denim Air, an ACMI supplier in the Netherlands.
This "job" ends on the 27th of january and then I'm going back to school again for a half year of theory. And then next year I'll have the same, starting with a half year of classes and then the other half year I'm a trainee somewhere.
I think this is a bit like Dispatch, but in a very different way than in other countries like the US for example.

How much does it cost to do a dispatch study in the US? Just curious about that  Smile It sounds like a fun profession, so...

N747PE

Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:03 pm

I have been with West Air/Fedex for six years. The 135 regs. do offer some
freedom from having to worry about what my pilots are up too. It would be fun to get some bigger equipment and move to 121 but Empire has that part of the Fedex operation on the west coast covered

atcrick

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:18 am

I retired from ATC and became an aircraft Dispatcher. I have been working here at Allegiant Air for almost 2 years. Great job, great company.
natch!!

SlamClick

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:00 am

I've been a licensed dispatcher since 1981.

I was running a flight following system for a Part 121 non-sked and decided I would get the license. I took the Bill Phelps ATP prep course and got the written done, then started working with the company's FAA POI for the practical. It was largely on the basis of having an ATP and being qualified in the company's aircraft that qualified me to take the practical.

A few years ago I ran another Part 121 flight following system and converted them to full dispatch. Wrote the manual chapters, recruited and trained people and so on.

The real distinction between 121.533 and 121.535 (dispatched scheduled operations) and 121.537 (non-sked flight following systems) is the system itself. In scheduled operations you are on-line (meaning flying from company station to company station) all the time. In non-sked the only time you are at a company station is when you bring the airplane home. You might fly many legs before seeing another company employee other than your own crew. You are handled by other airlines, even FBOs.

There is an utter lack of support in non-sked ops as compared with scheduled service. In the latter the pilots are spoon-fed everything. They can pick up the phone on the jetway, punch in four numbers and talk directly to their dispatcher. The dispatcher shares fully in "operational control" of the airplane, and in many ways is a bigger participant in it than the captain might be. In non-sked, it is common to ask for a telephone, call an FAA Flight Service Station for a weather briefing as if you were a Piper Cherokee, file your flight plan with them, maybe call the company and share the information with the flight follower and be on your way. Captains in non-sked are much more involved in their flight plans.

For a few years I owned and operated an FAA-approved aircraft dispatcher training school. I loved it! If I could afford to be self-employed I'd be happy to do that for the rest of my life.

I did not intend to do this, but I found myself specializing in correspondence students. The full course was six weeks and there was no prerequisite for taking that. Based on some experience recognized by FAR 65.57 you could also be approved for a four-week or even a two-week course. Active airline pilots were usually qualified for the two week course and were they ever shocked at how much they had to learn! But anyone could take the correspondence version in which you did the first four weeks by mail, I provided all the study materials and exams. Then you showed up for the last two weeks at my school with your written passed and I got you ready for the practical.

The practicals usually went something like this: The FAA, or, more likely, an FAA Designated Examiner would show up, check the student's records, verify their ID, then give them a flight to plan including a weather package and some MEL/CDL items. They would then take an hour or more to plan the flight (including the final weight & balance at my school) and "brief" the examiner as if he was the captain.

Then the oral exam would start, usually with the flight plan itself. It would cover the airplane (limitations, system generalities, and so forth) regulations, weather, aerodynamics, navigation and a few other odds & ends. I could tell the point when they'd passed because many examiners would test them to destruction on some topic. With one particular examiner it was "What is an isopleth?" that signalled the end of the exam.

The practical exam was a thorough wringing-out of the student's brain! You pilot out there would be amazed at what dispatchers know that you might not, or might have forgotten.

If I just had a place to teach that I did not have to pay rent on, I think I'd open up my school again and teach this stuff until senility took over.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

flightopsguy

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:05 am

Twenty years in the business.

At my first airline we used to sign out as a 121 dispatcher when the operation was done for the day, then sign in as a 121S flight follower to do the overnight charters. Some long shifts!
A300-330 BAC111/146/J31/41 B99/1900 CV580 B707-777 DC8/9/10 L188/1011 FH227/28/100 SB340 DO228 EMB2/170 CR2-900 SH330-60

Air1727

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:20 am

Past sched 121 dispatcher here. Still do 135/125 flight coordination though.
In the Alaska bush I'd rather have a two hour bladder and three hours of gas than vice versa.

dw747400

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:41 am

I've wondered this for a while, and it is not too far off topic! Are there any differences in the responsiblities and requirements of a dispatcher for a Part 121 and Part 135 operation?
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

Air1727

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:18 am

Yes they are different in many ways - 121 being much more of an animal than 135. For 135/125/91 - it depends on what the carriers operation specifications entail - but for the most part 135/125/91 dispatch is flight coordination (manifests, flight following, aircraft support arrangements, permit acquisitions, etc). Some 135/125/91 operators will extend more oversight and planning functions to their flight coordination/dispatch department (i.e. NetJets). Scheduled 121 dispatch encompasses full flight planning and progress functions in a regulatory operational control environment.
In the Alaska bush I'd rather have a two hour bladder and three hours of gas than vice versa.

dw747400

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:29 am

Thanks Air 1727.

Given the difference in the duties, do they both still require the same licensing?
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

N405MX

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:38 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 1):
One here.

Another here  biggrin 

Quoting Dw747400 (Reply 31):
Given the difference in the duties, do they both still require the same licensing?

Here in Mexico you got your dispatcher license also with a radio license so you can use the frequencies.

Saludos
Life is what happens when you have other plans.....

OPNLguy

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:03 am

Been away for the New Years holiday and just got back...

I got my license way back in the dark ages of 1979, have been dispatching since 1980 over 3 airlines (Mississippi Valley, Air Florida, and Southwest (the latter since 1982)).

Best job in the airline biz, AFAIC...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

flyidaho
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:22 am

Great to hear from all the posts from the dispatchers. It is a great aviation career and we get to be home everynight vs. the flight crews. Perhaps a reason a lot of us headed in this direction vs. a flying career.
OPNLguy-I think you are in the envious position of working for a large DAL-based carrier that is well-known as being the pinnacle of dispatching. I used to jumpseat 2-3 times a week on this carrier and always would ask to see the FP and would look at the name and think-damn that's where I want to be someday. But not sure if I want to dump lavs for 5 years before I might get a look so I am where I am. My old SOC director from Mesa when over to your company to work in dispatch ground school.
I certainly would like to here more about your companies SOC environment.
Thanks again everyone and hopefully we can chat more about our profession.
Dave

OPNLguy

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:26 am

Quoting Flyidaho (Reply 34):
My old SOC director from Mesa when over to your company to work in dispatch ground school.

That be John, or the new guy (also ex-Mesa)? New guy's last name is Gonzalez, I think... (Haven't met him yet...)
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

flyidaho
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:33 am

Yep John, very nice guy, enjoyed working for him for 4 years at Mesa. Not sure about Gonzalez though, I left Mesa in May of 2004.
Am I right though about getting into dispatch there, may have to ramp for some years before there might be an opening? That's at least what I've always heard anyway. Still the greatest airline on earth to jumpseat on, probably rode with you guys 200 times and everytime was great. Have flown with the #2 in seniority CA before, the #1 senior FA. Both were hired in 1976 and both couldn't have been nicer or more professional.

dispatcher

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:45 am

Add me to the list, dispatching / ops control since 1999 for a cargo carrier. Couldn't be happier.

edhugo

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:10 am

Another one here.
Have been a dispatcher since 1986, always working for international carriers ( Far 129). B707, B727, B747, B777 and A300, A310, A319, A320 and A340

It's been a BLAST ever since.

OPNLguy

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:35 am

Quoting Flyidaho (Reply 36):
Am I right though about getting into dispatch there, may have to ramp for some years before there might be an opening? That's at least what I've always heard anyway.

True, 99% of the time we hire internal candidates for assistant dispatchers. They just interviewed 50 or so for 6 openings, so it's competitive.

Keep in mind that there are -other- entry-level jobs other than ramp, i.e., operations agent, crew scheduling, etc. In any event you need to figure a 2-3 plan, i.e. do I want to get on -somewhere- and then try for Dispatch (after you've been there at least a year. Based on the age mentioned in your profile, you still have alot of time left for a career here, should you choose to pursue it....

flyidaho
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:36 am

Dispatcher-w/o specifically naming your carrier what kind of cargo operation do you run? What kind of planes? I have a pretty good idea.
I'm with a company based out of GSO and we run 10 A300F's
and 4 747-200F's. Screw it-Tradewinds Airlines.

flyidaho
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:46 am

OPNLguy-thanks for the info. Still time to land that perfect dispatch job. I'm coming up on 7 years as a 121 dispatcher so still pretty green compared to most of you guys in DAL. As long as it didn't turn into Multiple years I'd do just about whatever it took to land in dispatch there. Any tricks of the trade from your perspective would be greatly appreciated.

fumanchewd

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:53 pm

Corporate/charter dispatcher. We do alot of international as well as domestic. I am considering getting my license this year even though it won't help my salary.
I am also working on my CFI CFII and I am not too sure which direction I will go.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

L-188

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:56 pm

Quoting Air1727 (Reply 30):
121 being much more of an animal than 135. For 135/125/91 - it depends on what the carriers operation specifications entail - but for the most part 135/125/91 dispatch is flight coordination (manifests, flight following, aircraft support arrangements, permit acquisitions, etc). Some 135/125/91 operators will extend more oversight and planning functions to their flight coordination/dispatch department (i.e. NetJets). Scheduled 121 dispatch encompasses full flight planning and progress functions in a regulatory operational control environment

And it is possible to work all three enviroments from the same chair. I know one dispatch office that supports a 121 freight operation, a 125 fuel tanker operation and a 135 charter operation out of the same chair.

nonrvsmdmf

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:40 pm

91/135 here

Almost 5 years of international experience.

Great company and I love talking to people all over the world everyday.
I did not forget...I just misplaced the thought...

OPNLguy

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:42 pm

Quoting Flyidaho (Reply 41):
Any tricks of the trade from your perspective would be greatly appreciated.

Email me or PM me anytime....

fxra

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:18 pm

Quoting Dispatcher (Reply 37):
Add me to the list, dispatching / ops control since 1999 for a cargo carrier. Couldn't be happier.

hi Dispatcher, if you are working for who I think your work for, is nancy, Cam ( or Cheetoh as we named her), and "Killer' still hanging around up there?

later
jd
formerly of ATLR PM ops
Visualize Whirled Peas

Air1727

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:58 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 43):
And it is possible to work all three enviroments from the same chair. I know one dispatch office that supports a 121 freight operation, a 125 fuel tanker operation and a 135 charter operation out of the same chair.

Everts Air Cargo / Air Fuel / Tatonduk - good group of folks.

A342

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:49 am

Quoting Flyidaho (Reply 12):
Pay aint that great when starting out but can build quickly. In 1999 I started with Mesa at $24K, when I left after 5 years I had topped out at the then-current pay scale of $38K.

Stupid question: If you say 24k isn´t that great I assume that´s per year ?
Exceptions confirm the rule.

L-188

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:58 am

Quoting Air1727 (Reply 47):
Everts Air Cargo / Air Fuel / Tatonduk - good group of folks.

Ding! Ding! Ding! we have a winner.

Actually when I took that dispatch class, we had one of their flight followers in it, and their Director of Safety.

About a month ago, they where looking for "Flight Followers" but I wasn't quite in the position to leave ANC, so I couldn't apply.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos