Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dsa
Topic Author

A Tribute To Independence Air . . .

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:08 am

Hi

This thread is a tribute to independence Air, opinion on the airline is divided but the majority is good so please leave your messages.

independence Air was a great airline it was innovative, friendly and according to the polls soared in popularity. Nicknamed Indy and with the slogan 'tender loving service' many admired her.

Here is a letter sent out to customers found on the website:

'Today is a sad day for Independence Air.

Today we must announce that we will be ceasing scheduled service operations this Thursday evening, January 5. The financial pressures in the industry have prevailed. We have run out of time.

It has been an amazing 18 months. We set out to challenge the status quo and to re-set your expectations about air travel. We set out to introduce you to lower fares and a new level of service delivered by employees who care. Currently ranked #2 in customer satisfaction among all US airlines, we are proud that we did indeed earn your respect and loyalty. We are proud that we built a brand so universally praised by over 8 million customers. We are proud of the mark we have made.

Customers with reservations whose trips are completed between now and Thursday evening should expect the same great service for which we have become known.

Additionally, we are seeking bankruptcy court approval to automatically provide refunds to customers holding reservations on flights occurring after our shutdown of operations on January 5th. No refunds will be offered for free tickets or vouchers.

Finally, we will be contacting those customers with itineraries that start before and end after our shutdown (including those customers who have already commenced their travel) to offer them the opportunity to change their return reservations to a flight on one of our remaining days of operation if possible. Customers can immediately change travel dates on their own by visiting the “Change Itinerary” section of our website, FLYi.com. All change fees will be waived when travel dates are changed via our website, but a difference in fare could be incurred (unfortunately, this results from a website process that cannot be disabled). Alternatively, if moving the return trip to one of our remaining operating days is not feasible, we are also seeking bankruptcy court approval to refund any amounts paid by these customers for their return reservations.

Please be aware that under section 145 of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act (November 19, 2001) Congress has obligated U.S. airlines to offer stand-by transportation to passengers holding un-refunded tickets for airlines that have ceased operations due to insolvency or bankruptcy. The Act stipulates that passengers must make their request to carriers serving the same routes as the bankrupt carrier and must do so within 60 days of the cessation of service. The U.S. Department of Transportation has ruled that airlines who offer the stand-by transportation may charge $50 one-way per person to cover related expenses.

Today is a sad day for Independence Air. Today is a sad day for our customers who have gotten used to tender loving service and paying less for air travel. We will miss serving you. Thank you for your vigorous support.'

Today is a sad day for Independence Air.

Today we must announce that we will be ceasing scheduled service operations this Thursday evening, January 5. The financial pressures in the industry have prevailed. We have run out of time.

It has been an amazing 18 months. We set out to challenge the status quo and to re-set your expectations about air travel. We set out to introduce you to lower fares and a new level of service delivered by employees who care. Currently ranked #2 in customer satisfaction among all US airlines, we are proud that we did indeed earn your respect and loyalty. We are proud that we built a brand so universally praised by over 8 million customers. We are proud of the mark we have made.

Customers with reservations whose trips are completed between now and Thursday evening should expect the same great service for which we have become known.

Additionally, we are seeking bankruptcy court approval to automatically provide refunds to customers holding reservations on flights occurring after our shutdown of operations on January 5th. No refunds will be offered for free tickets or vouchers.

Finally, we will be contacting those customers with itineraries that start before and end after our shutdown (including those customers who have already commenced their travel) to offer them the opportunity to change their return reservations to a flight on one of our remaining days of operation if possible. Customers can immediately change travel dates on their own by visiting the “Change Itinerary” section of our website, FLYi.com. All change fees will be waived when travel dates are changed via our website, but a difference in fare could be incurred (unfortunately, this results from a website process that cannot be disabled). Alternatively, if moving the return trip to one of our remaining operating days is not feasible, we are also seeking bankruptcy court approval to refund any amounts paid by these customers for their return reservations.

Please be aware that under section 145 of the Aviation and Transportation Security Act (November 19, 2001) Congress has obligated U.S. airlines to offer stand-by transportation to passengers holding un-refunded tickets for airlines that have ceased operations due to insolvency or bankruptcy. The Act stipulates that passengers must make their request to carriers serving the same routes as the bankrupt carrier and must do so within 60 days of the cessation of service. The U.S. Department of Transportation has ruled that airlines who offer the stand-by transportation may charge $50 one-way per person to cover related expenses.

Today is a sad day for Independence Air. Today is a sad day for our customers who have gotten used to tender loving service and paying less for air travel. We will miss serving you. Thank you for your vigorous support.

Today is a sad day for Independence Air. Today is a sad day for our customers who have gotten used to tender loving service and paying less for air travel. We will miss serving you. Thank you for your vigorous support.

The airline's livery was well liked too . . .

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Dan Brownlee
View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh Akbar - NYCAviation

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kyle Donagher
View Large View Medium

Photo © Kyle Donagher

So here ends my tribute to independence Air, all those that flew her will know that this is a very sad day for the industry. All Staff who were made redundant by FLYI I give you my condolences and I hope you find a job soon! Goodbye Indy we will miss you. . .

The last flight is DH1777 HPN-IAD

Please Leave Your Tributes Good or Bad to Indy Below

Thankyou

RIP independence Air

DSA>>>
Go Skybus!!!!

ORD747CLE

RE: A Tribute To Independence Air . . .

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:09 am

Nice posting, I like your summary. I just want to hear why Kerry Skeen rejected everyone's input as to the airline and how it was run. So far I have seen few apologies or reasons why he wouldn't listen to others.

Ord747Cle

kyair

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:16 am

Flyi was a nice airline, only flew them once. They had cute celebrity safety announcements and friendly staff. The hot "towels" were a nice touch.

BTW Dsa, why did you post the farewell letter 3 times in your initial post?  Confused
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened - Dr. Seuss

Humberside

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:22 am

Its the staff you have to feel sorry for. Can't be a nice start to the new year for them. Any chance that if some of Independence Air's assets are sold, some staff could keep their jobs?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Cadet57

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:28 am

My utmost sympathy goes out to FlyI employees, you folks worked through it and tried to make it work, I commend you for what you good folks did. I wish you good luck in your future endevors. I'll miss these little CRJ's at BDL, wish I was able to get em on film... Good luck guys, I'll miss ya.
Doors open, right hand side, next stop is Springfield.

redflyer

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:36 am

I never had the chance to fly them them but I sure followed them during their brief existence. I wanted so badly to see them succeed; if nothing else than to spite UA.

I hope those people that worked for them out of love for flying land on their feet and perhaps even one day have the chance to start a new carrier and pick up where Independence left off.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

AlitaliaMD11

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:59 am

When I was in Washington D.C. last week I went spotting at IAD most of the time and really got to like the Fly I livery on the CRJ-200 and A319. I also got to get close to two parked CRJs by the Fly I hangar and found them to be beautiful birds.

I will truly miss the beautiful Fly I paint scheme and seeing there planes grace the sky..

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Futterman - NYCAviation

No Vueling No Party

richierich

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting Dsa (Thread starter):

This statement was repeated at least four times in your summary, Dsa.
None shall pass!!!!

planespotting

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:13 am

his whole spiel is basically repeated three times...
Do you like movies about gladiators?

flypdx

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:04 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 3):
Its the staff you have to feel sorry for. Can't be a nice start to the new year for them. Any chance that if some of Independence Air's assets are sold, some staff could keep their jobs?

I asked this in a different thread, but I didn't get any response. If an airline picks up a large number of jets (like Mesa) I would think there would be some employment options, unless Mesa is way over staffed at the moment. Good luck to all of the FlyI employees. It seems as if most of them here are very proud of their company, and they seem to care very much about customer service. I think with that attitude, it won't be hard to get another job, but that is coming from an outsider..(Don't work in the industry)

lincoln

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:44 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 3):

Absolutely. Best wishes to the staff at a quick "bounce back".

At this point, unless I'm missing something, the at this point the assets (and did Independence actually own anything? My understanding was the majority of their fleet was leased) are wholly distinct from the employees... If some airline our of the kindness of its collective heart wanted to offer employment to the displaced iAir folks, but there would be no requirement (and indeed, I would assume it would be pretty tough-- I assume in order to do things properly, they would need a copy of the senority lists, etc.)

I walked by Independence Air's ticket counter at DTW on their first day of service (I can't remember if I was doing DL-->NW or NW-->DL) and they looked so hopeful; about a month ago I watched an Independence Air flight being boarded at LAS (with one of the most professional, attractive, and closest-to-my-age gate agents I've come across)... Perhaps they started too agressively, perhaps their fares were too low, perhaps their fleet was too expensive, in any regard, It's too bad they couldn't pull it off.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

sdate747

Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:44 pm

some important questions -

1) What happens to the planes? Will Air Wisconsin and Mesa get to buy them for pennies on the dollar? (obviously I don't mean this literally, what I'm asking is - who stands to gain?)

2) Gate slots - who gets them? Does this mean less pressure on the already overloaded G councourse at IAD?

3) Does this mean that IAD will see a major drop in its ranking on the list of busiest airports in the US? Predictions?

4) Will United raise its fares out of Dulles now that it is once again the only game in town?

thanks..

and goodbye FLYi

OOer

Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:21 pm

If they had more A319s and many many less CRJs it would have been a bit easier to stay in business. To run an airlines with mostly CRJs is asking for trouble, now if they were CRJ-700 then it would have been better as well!!!

markabcan

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:18 pm

They will be missed, at least by the consumer! I personally liked their bubble jet livery as well!

dsa
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi

Keep the tributes coming it would be great if we got loads of posts to say farewell to Indy as she was respected by many!

'Today is a sad day for Independance Air' is what was constantly repeated in the letter sent to customers that I inserted from their website on the topic.'

KEEP UM COMING!

Thanks

DSA>>>
Go Skybus!!!!

Carfield

Wed Jan 04, 2006 6:06 pm

Sorry that flyi went away. You will be greatly missed.

The first day of Airbus A319 operation, as well as SAN inaugural flights will always be sweet memories.

I hope employees will find a new job soon.

At least fly i puts up a good fight.

Carfield

La Carlota

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:57 pm

Service was great, staff was great, planes were neat...
I thought I had found my airline, once for all, and then it's gone!!!!
I'm happy I was lucky at least to get to fly the A319 (N811BR) on a red-eye segment: LAX-IAD, on Sep. 17, 2005.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Idle

All good memories, and lots of fun times with the friendly crew. Wish them luck.
Tango Tango Fox

malaysia

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:59 pm

Its a sad day for my friends at Independence Air, I wish them well, and Delta Global actually came in to try to take a bunch of people recently (they handle UAX at IAD and actually missed 1500 bags on January 2nd) That is very bad performance for United. while DH had one of the lowest in mishandled bags.

Wish them well. Perhaps someday Independence Air will return with a vengeance
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

mcdu

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:20 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 18):
Its a sad day for my friends at Independence Air, I wish them well, and Delta Global actually came in to try to take a bunch of people recently (they handle UAX at IAD and actually missed 1500 bags on January 2nd) That is very bad performance for United. while DH had one of the lowest in mishandled bags.

Malaysia,

I know you are a homer for DH but your facts on the bags are skewed. DGS has had better transfer numbers than when ACA was operating as UAX. Also, if you were at ACA you would recall that UAL mainline ramp was required to transfer the UAX bags for about the last year of ACA ops due to poor ACA bag handling performance.

The loss of your carrier while unfortunate for you should not be used as a smear campaign against a carrier that soundly defeated you in the marketplace.

cxsjr

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:21 pm

I flew with Indy once .... 3 weeks ago It was just a short flight from LGA-IAD but it was on time, the staff (inlcuding the pilot) were incredibly friendly and light hearted, it really was a breath of fresh air.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jason Whitebird

As we took off from LGA, I remember thinking to myself, I hope the rumours aren't true. Sadly they are and now the worst has happened.

By coincidence, there was a commercial insurer called Independent in the U.K. until about 2002 when it went bust - maybe it's something in the name?

tombstone 

Good luck to the wonderful staff in finding careers elsewhere .... and take that refreshing attitude to some of those other miserable airlines out there!!
The world is a book, those who do not travel read only one page ....

tjwgrr

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:08 am

Guess I'll remember Indy as an experiment that showed that 50 seat RJ's can't be used for an LCC operation.

Really was an ill conceived and stupid business plan and I know many on this forum questioned it from the get go. 7 daily flights (at one point) between cities like LAN and IAD? The only surprise is the inevitable shut down didn't come even sooner.....

Best wishes to all those who have lost their jobs.

[Edited 2006-01-04 16:10:18]
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

oldman55

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:18 am

I flew Independence once last summer IAD-SAN roundtrip. Had a very nice trip crew was very friendly.Too bad to see them go under. I hope they can get better jobs.
too bad most of us get too soon old and too late smart

richierich

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting Tjwgrr (Reply 21):
Really was an ill conceived and stupid business plan and I know many on this forum questioned it from the get go. 7 daily flights (at one point) between cities like LAN and IAD? The only surprise is the inevitable shut down didn't come even sooner.....

While Tjwgrr's comments may be a little harsh, I believe the sentiment is true. The idea that they could spin off from UA and make a profit as a LCC using high cost equipment was just not going to work in the long run. The A319s were very necessary but they came too little too late.

I flew on FlyI once and I thought that service-wise, the airline was very good. Maybe I was a sucker for the hot towels and mint before landing! Seriously, I thought the crew in the air and on the ground at IAD were very good. But the writing has been on the proverbial wall for a long time regarding the airline's ill health. It figured they'd struggle through the holiday season and then probably not survive the January trough. Too bad. As usual, the ones who get hurt the most are the ones who had the least to do with the airline's demise.
None shall pass!!!!

cactusTECH

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:11 am

I workerd at ACA for 2 years they were my first employer as an Aircraft Mechanic, I loved it there until they closed LGA and i went to HP,, well i hope the best for those who were left... CHeers

FlyIAD1

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:56 am

I flew Indy Air 8 times (4 CRJ, 4 A319) and thoroughly enjoyed all of my flights.
Their staff put forth great effort and did all they could to be successful.
I'll remember the cute recorded safety announcements (Mary Matalin/James Carville, Chuck Berry, etc) and the disposable hot towels. On one flight from ORD-IAD I was the only revenue passenger on a CRJ. The F/A broke out the snack cart and we sat and talked and snacked all the way to Dulles. On approach to IAD she asked me what level of lighting I wanted in the cabin and she dimmed the lights so I could get the best night view. I felt like it was my own private jet -- 49 empty blue seats, just me and the F/A. I will miss Independence Air, but then I miss them all -- Eastern, Pan Am, TWA, and so many others. They've all been a part of my life as an airline hobbyist. We can always hope for better times ahead. Farewell DH.

Boeing7E7

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:05 am

Ode to Flyi..

You were done the day your Marketing and P&R guy got up on stage and shed a tear in front of 300 or so airline and airport consultants a month before you took flight over your "independence". I'm certain a few have not taken you seriously since.

RIP

[Edited 2006-01-04 18:11:41]

CO7e7

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:11 am

It's sad to see them go. Best wishes to all the indy family  Sad

BA747400

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:06 am

I always wanted to fly Indi....really bad! I booked my mum and her friends on a flight last year, and she loved the service...truly sad to see them go.

Its so sad; an airline like this could have revolutionized the industry by setting standards and bringing the class, once synonymous with air travel, back as a reality and not a just a lost legacy. In a way, it almost gives the impression that one just cant fight the big mean corporations, and that conformity is the only safe route. Granted FlyI did have bad management, the average person sees this situation as: "Well, they wanted to do something good, they took on the big-dogs, attempted to change air travel for the good, and lost. The moral is, don't bother!". Airlines that take chances like this should be rewarded, but somehow they almost always loose.....so sad. I wish all ex-employees the best of luck in relocation and truly hope that this new year brings about new and more positive opportunities: With every door that closes, another opens.

RIP Fly-I
Mike

richierich

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:27 am

Quoting BA747400 (Reply 28):
an airline like this could have revolutionized the industry by setting standards and bringing the class, once synonymous with air travel, back as a reality and not a just a lost legacy.

Huh? I'm not sure I follow... how was Independence Air "revolutionary" again? How was flying them synonymous with air travel in days gone by (except for the RJs, which have similar capacities to DC-4s, etc.)??
None shall pass!!!!

Pope

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:34 am

The market has prevailed once again. You can't make money selling seats at $49/seat between ATL and IAD.

Sorry for the employees but free markets take no prisoners.
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

BA747400

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:38 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 29):
Huh? I'm not sure I follow... how was Independence Air "revolutionary" again? How was flying them synonymous with air travel in days gone by (except for the RJs, which have similar capacities to DC-4s, etc.)??

Independence Air flew clean and classy planes with fantastic services such as free hot-towels, no "overselling", a frequent flyer program with no black-out dates, a "no lost baggage" guarantee, and above all, an incredibly friendly group of employees. I have yet to find anyone that would prefer service levels of legacy carriers over DH.....that, in itself, is revolutionary. By setting the bar higher with services that should be expected by air traveler's, it forces others to do the same. Now-a-days, this countries airlines are playing the "how low can we go in service" game, and its getting ridiculous. Simply put, the industry needed this airline to make everyone realize that air travel SHOULD include a freakin pillow or a snack for free. Sadly, bad management seems to be attracted to the airline industry regardless of the business plan.

In regards to past air travel: There was a day, not too long ago, where people would get dressed up for a flight. Flying was prestigious, it wasn't a nessesity for a vacation, it was the best part of it. Flight attendants were held in high regard, and took their job very seriously; phenomenal service was just expected. Pilots were respected so greatly, you cant even imagine.....it was a whole different world. Indi offered a product that would bring part of that magic back; offering a product that would change how people viewed air travel; something to look forward too instead of something you dreaded.

I hope you understand where i'm coming from...........

Mike

FriendlySkies

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:43 am

My only tribute goes out to the employees who had to endure mistake after fatal mistake by the inept management of this airline.

The management KNEW their plan was bogus and doomed to fail from Day 0. I cannot think of ONE business analyst who said this could work. Nothing they did made any sense, and all they accomplished was screwing over some of the best airline employees in the industry, all while lying to their faces until the very end. I feel for the employees, but FLYi was a virus on this industry, and I hope every last member of the management team never has the chance to screw over another company again.

airbrasil

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:47 am

Hello, flew DH three times, while working for them in LAX and SJC. I flew
LAS-IAD on N807BR
SJC-IAD on N807BR the very last flight from SJC!
IAD-JFK N637BR

It was a great experience, took lots of photos on the ramp, nice airplanes and nice confortable seats. I will miss DH and the heppy bag program, it will not be forgotten!

Airbrasil
LAS

BMIFlyer

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:47 am

Truly Sad News  Sad

Always bad to see an airline go down. I feel sorry for the employees. Good luck to you all.

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

TACAA320

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:03 am

I'm not sad for the airline by itself, but for the hundreds of unemployed that are under uncertainty.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

TACAA320

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting Dsa (Thread starter):
This thread is a tribute to independence Air,

This must be a tribute yo flyi's employees  Sad
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

BA747400

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:24 am

Quoting FriendlySkies (Reply 32):
and I hope every last member of the management team never has the chance to screw over another company again.

I concur. They lied to all their employees....ugh dont get me started!

dsa
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:33 am

Yes this is a forum for the airline and it's employee's. I hereby declare this forum dedicated to employee's long may yo carry on doing the fine work you all did.

Keep the Posts Coming!

DSA>>>>
Go Skybus!!!!

daron4000

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:17 am

While it is very sad for the employees, maybe if other airlines knew of the praises of their staff, they would start hiring them to improve their own service records. Just an idea of course but maybe it could work.

malaysia

Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:11 am

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 19):
The loss of your carrier while unfortunate for you should not be used as a smear campaign against a carrier that soundly defeated you in the marketplace.

Who said it was my carrier? and Did I say I worked for DH???
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

md90fan

Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:26 am

Im gonna too miss DH  Sad what screwed them off though? the transcons at 89 bucks each way?
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

FriendlySkies

Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 41):
what screwed them off though?

Umm...how about the lack of a viable business plan?

flyboy7974

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:44 pm

i had hopes and many prayers for independence air, respectfullyt atlantic coast airlines for so many reasons. mainly, for the people involved and lives changed. years ago, aca announced a bridge program with erau, and at that time and graduating from erau-prc, this was a dream come true for so many graduates that before and after 9/11 had their dreams in the aviation world tarnished, but only delayed. aca took handfuls and handfuls of pilots through the internship and immediately into flight positions. sadly though, as the aviation world has proven for so many many people, dreams sometimes are hard to always keep. all but one of over 20 friends that i had who went to aca, indy air, were furloughed and let go. many were able to go to other commuters who needed pilots. one was comair, but then again, months afterwards, guess what, delta enters ch11 and retrenches cvg, and guess what, another furlough for those pilots. others went to coex who deemed the darling of commuter airlines, flying an all jet fleet and proving that the quality of service from a major could be offered by a regional, and most often service was quite better. guess what, co just announces changes to their regional dept and now coex is sent notice that co wants 69 fewer a/c flying for them, and the other group of friends are fearful that changes are coming to their current jobs.

indy air did what so many airlines have tried and tried to do, revolutionize a market so depressed and lagging that the public is crying for change, but unsupportive to development. indy air competed on right size markets out of iad and lowered fares dramatically, but again, as always, did the public always support indy air's attempts, i would say most often not, because, to the general public, why try the new guy when you have big boy ua sitting next door at the next gate offering the same fare now. and i say now only because of indy air competition, well people now could fly ua for the same price and did, forgetting the reason why or how their fare was lowered, and support followed the major while the newcomer was fighting for survival. i think indy air's idea was the breathe of fresh air needed for the dc and mostly east coast markets. from the pre-recorded celebrity demos, to hot towels and mints on every flight, to the fresh/deco appearance of their website. but damn it, against them, mind blowing fuel prices, atc delays unforgiving to any flight, and a dog-eat-dog world that would play the major blow to their knockout. damn it. aca becoming indy air had capital that most thought could outlast and depression in the aviaiton market, but unfortunately, the indy air fleet wouldnt support such an attempt i believe. while the crj was the darling of aviation 10 years ago when we all wanted faster, quicker, cheaper, and better are shorter routes into smaller communities that wouldnt support mainline flights, well, guess what, i think the crj has become the demise of the aviation/airline industry as we know it now, and obviously to indy air. the a/c just couldnt fly routes at the cost that other airlines could, and although indy air regrouped and got the A319 into service on routes everywhere, it proved too late. the crj, i believe, i said folks that only i believe so nobody shoots back at me and cries foul, i believe the crj while 10 years ago was the new kid on the block, today it's the evil step child that has killed most of the airline world i think. airlines cant do now what they wanted to 10 years and they are still trying to, the market has changed too much and costs have skyrocketed. proof, when the crj entered service, it served markets in the 1-2 hr frame and distance just not right for a mainline a/c seating 100-150 people. now, the rj a/c are flying routes up to 3-4 hours or half-cross country flights that are just too much. but when did we ever go back to most of those smaller cities and airports that went all jet with the crj, but now have lost service because they sit just barely under the range of most hub airports.

well, back to the point, indy air's attempt was honorable in my eyes, to all the east coast markets that benefited for the time period of indy air, i hope you enjoyed it.

as we look forward, go to town allegiant air, because you are one company that sees the importance of small town america, and work for its survival, i hope you shake things up through 2006 and many more years to come. as thursday comes so quickly, and as we have to say good bye to another attempt to challenge and rock the big boys in the aviation world, we'll have to soon say good night to indy air for the final time. to them, and the others that have tried, i think of vanguard through the midwest, reno air out west, and the current like ata barely holding on, airtran kicking ass against dl in atl and through the east on other carriers, sun country out of msp, and im sure there are others, i hope that the small guys will fight on and rock aviation and bring the big boys down. it says something that the big boys (meaning top 5) are all struggling and some have enjoyed the ch 11 world while smaller carriers sit back and fight and fight and pay their bills every damn day while the top carriers are kicking it in ch 11.

got to go, more later

KSYR

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:11 pm

I never got the chance to fly on Indy Air, but I have fond memories of seeing their planes in SYR as well as RDU. They brought fares to DC down in many markets, and they offered a great product. Its a shame that the industry wasn't strong enough to support them.

My best wishes go out to all Independence Air employees. Best of luck in your new ventures!

crash65

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:19 pm

Quoting Flyboy7974 (Reply 43):
i believe the crj while 10 years ago was the new kid on the block, today it's the evil step child that has killed most of the airline world i think.

Not to worry.

There are no bad airplanes, just inept marketing departments and airline executives that don't know when to stop ordering airframes because its trendy.

aa757first

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:39 pm

Quoting Flyboy7974 (Reply 43):
i hope that the small guys will fight on and rock aviation and bring the big boys down. it says something that the big boys (meaning top 5) are all struggling and some have enjoyed the ch 11 world while smaller carriers sit back and fight and fight and pay their bills every damn day while the top carriers are kicking it in ch 11.

Independence Air - Gone
ATA - Chapter 11
Southeast Airlines - Gone
TMA - Gone
Great Plains - Gone
Midway - Gone

Yup, those small carriers are kicking ass alright...

AAndrew

BNAflyer78

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:53 pm

Quoting FlyIAD1 (Reply 25):
On one flight from ORD-IAD I was the only revenue passenger on a CRJ.

Same thing happened to me on a flight from TPA-HSV in November 2005 - great experience and a lot of fun! Too bad they couldn't make their business model work better.
Long live the Widget!

UA772IAD

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:56 pm

I will definately miss the blue and white bubble jets on my way out to Midfield at IAD. DH crews were always friendly. It seemed like everyone was passionate about their job. One of my mom's best friends was a recruiter for them- and she loved her job. She always told me, excitedly, about the latest news at DH- including helping prepare the 319s for their first day of service!
Thanks for providing fun, friendly service Flyi! Although I didn't like them at first- they grew on me, and I hope the employees can find another rewarding job in the industry- and continue to spread their great customer service.

Farewell flyI!

727forever

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:06 pm

Hello all,

Your comments good and bad are appreciated. I was a pilot for ACA, Independence Air for 8 years. I left on my own when I realized that it just wasn't meant to be.

There are many nay sayers making posts about FLYi. It is their right to do so and many of them have good points. I will make a few of my own.

The heart and sole of Independence Air was the line employee. Management tried to feed us the cool aid and make us into great front line employees, but that was all a ploy. The team already had the spirit, we just needed our own body from which to show it. We had already been using some of this spirit when we ran an abysmal operation for United. Anyone who flew on United Express out of ORD from 1998-2004 would know what I'm talking about. We busted our humps to make it work, but we wanted to do it for our own product, not some Corporation who could care less.

When UAL started putting the squeeze on us in 2003 with the Bain Group and Johnny O from Mesa, management had to do something less we end up like AWAC looking for a place to put 116 grey and blue airframes. We had to do something and everyone was tired of dealing with the UAX program. The timing was horrible and the fleet was far from ideal, but we had leases on the airframes and with over $300 mil in the bank, who would re-negotiate.

I'm not hear to bash UAL. They are a great company who had a lot of issues to deal with, including feed that was really expensive. A little reminder of the back ground helps one to understand where we were coming from.

I was there on November 19, 2003 for the unveiling ceremony. I'm in the now famous picture of the employees in front of N641BR on a happy day. I'm in front of the left wing. I remember saying to a fellow Captain standing next to me that "It will be great to have an airline of our own. It's a gutsy move, we could all end up unemployed, but we've got to give it a try." For the record, I do not have any regrets.

As Independence Air grew from the tadpole that was Project Goldilocks, we all started seeing a lot of assumptions and upper level management decisions that were questionable then and high in sight shows were really bad. One of the biggest bad decisions in my mind was picking a fight with United. I can confirm that there was some anti-United propaganda spewed by management and their placed "cheering section" on 11-19-2003. Most of the rank and file employees sat down and refused to take part in that activity.

As the cities were unveiled in became apparent that Marketing had 87 CRJs to fly somewhere and their imagination was lacking. The product was great, but 8 times a day to LAN and other cities was indeed poor. There were many cities begging for service that I think would have been profitable, but management chose to flood markets that were already part of the UAX system out of IAD because that had worked for us before.

The service was outstanding and the marketing was non-existent. On the line we really pulled it together and had a product that was unparalleled in customer service. It was common for Captains to go to the cabin and talk to the passengers before and after the flight. The company asked us to do it, but many did it before they asked. It was also common to see pilots helping a swamped CS agent board a flight. We didn't have to do it, heck we didn't really even know what to do, but we knew that it helped the customer and made a better experience. We really cared and that's what it all boiled down to.

Economics and abysmal upper management decisions are what killed this great little airline. The initial idea was a good one. I think Independence Air should go down in history as "The Little Engine who gave it all he had, but just wasn't enough." I have wonderful memories of the great people that I worked with, the passengers that I had the pleasure to serve, and of the little airline that I truly was a part of. To my fellow comrades, you will land in better places and I wish you all luck. The companies that will get you will be getting truly special team members.

No regrets,
727forever
727forever

1MillionFlyer

Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:10 pm

I flew DH 19 times and had nothing but great experiences. Fly I was a good idea but at the wrong time with the wrong aircraft.

Best of luck to all the DH employees.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos