Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CKT789
Topic Author

Possible Airport For West Cumbria, UK

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:44 pm

A Councillor has raised the possibility of redeveloping Kirkbride Airfield that would serve Cumbria, in particular the West side of the county. This airfield isn't far from where my parents live and I had my first driving lesson on it's runway! The airfield was built in WW2 and is used by light aircraft and the odd touch-and-go by military aircraft on exercise (I've seen a Hercules there in the past). I'm all for this as it might mean some air services into the county, ....finally.

This might be just a pipedream though and I don't think we could have two airports serving the county (three if you include Walney Island in Barrow, ....ahhh Air Furness!!)

Jamie.

Story from the News and Star:
http://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/viewarticle.aspx?id=317261
Airfield Site:
http://www.kirkbrideonline.co.uk/info.htm

gkirk

RE: Possible Airport For West Cumbria, UK

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:48 pm

Would rather see Carlisle (CAX/EGNC) get developed first.
The population around Kirkbride is fairly limited (Silloth, Maryport and a little further to Workington and Whitehaven).
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

CKT789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:50 pm

I agree, although we keep being told about developments about CAX and not much happens.

The airfield at Kirkbride would be useful for BNFL flights.

gkirk

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:52 pm

Quoting CKT789 (Reply 2):

Indeed it would be more useful than CAX for the BNFL traffic.
I think Kirkbride will likely remain a small airport.
Do they still hold the car boot sales/sunday market on the airfield?  Silly
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

MANmatt

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:53 pm

Wasn't there a paper airlines looking at taking 1 of BE's old 146s to operate a daily CAX-LTN-CAX flight? Im sure i heard that, but the aircraft was supposedly meant to be staying on the ground at LTN all day before returning in the evening. Shame really, surely something like a twice daily ATR or Do328 LCY-CAX would work? Perhaps a route for CB with their Do328s?

Matt

CKT789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:57 pm

Allsorts goes on there so I reckon so. There is one at Silloth Airfield, seems to be the thing to do with WW2 airfields.....

CKT789
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting MANmatt (Reply 4):
Wasn't there a paper airlines looking at taking 1 of BE's old 146s to operate a daily CAX-LTN-CAX flight? Im sure i heard that, but the aircraft was supposedly meant to be staying on the ground at LTN all day before returning in the evening. Shame really, surely something like a twice daily ATR or Do328 LCY-CAX would work? Perhaps a route for CB with their Do328s?

Yeah, that never really got off the ground. The plane is still at Filton. Luton isn't really the place to fly to from CAX. You would never fill a 146 on that route.

We just need T3 or CB to start flights to an London airport that has good connections both into London and onto other destinations. There is also supposed to be demand there for flights to Ireland.

If an airfield in Kirkbride was done, it would loose the South West of Scotland as a catchment area which CAX has. It is nearer to the Lake District though so it would be more convenient for traffic from there.

Jamie.

MANmatt

Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:52 pm

Quoting CKT789 (Reply 6):
Yeah, that never really got off the ground. The plane is still at Filton. Luton isn't really the place to fly to from CAX. You would never fill a 146 on that route.

No the 146 is way too big for a 1st route for a regional airport like CAX. Definitely Cb's 328s or even perhaps VG's F50s would be more suited, flying right into the heart of London, instead of flying to an airport miles away which then requires further journey by train to get into the capital. Like you said, even T3 with there J31s/41s would be better, but there is talk of them getting rid of the small J31s in place of larger Saab 2000s.

Matt

Humberside

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:20 am

Sounds a stupid idea with Carlisle up the road. Even Carlisle could only support flights to Belfast, Dublin, the Isle Of Man and London probably
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

Glom

Thu Jan 05, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting CKT789 (Reply 2):

Are BNFL allowed to transport their materials by air?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos