Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TUNisia
Topic Author

Swiss Business Class Question

Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:48 am

I'm flying Swiss from LHR-ZRH-CAI (A321 & A340), and again CAI-ZRH-LHR (A340 & A321) in mid-March of this year. We're booked in Business Class on this routing. Last time I flew this route (Summer 2005) I was in Economy Class. I was wondering how much different the service is in Business compared with what I experienced in Economy. Is the AVOD the same? Does Business have power ports? Will we be getting a meal on the A321 legs of the trip to and from LHR?

Thanks + Peace
Someday the sun will shine down on me in some faraway place - Mahalia Jackson

MAC100

RE: Swiss Business Class Question

Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:13 am

Business class on the A340 will be quite nice, you'll enjoy the lay-flat seats, food will be great and yes there are powerports (standard 110V outlet). I can't comment on the A321.

SWISSER

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:14 am

The A321 has the original Swissair layout and most PAX are comfortable on them, but there are better seats in A320.
I' am not sure there are power outlets on all A321's, I know there are on A320.

You will recieve a full (real china) dinner in C class, also in the A321.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © F-ILIP

The A340's power outlets are located between the two seats,

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Christian Galliker

What time is top of descent?

airxliban

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:31 am

Why does LX fly a 340 between ZRH and CAI? Isn't that a bit overkill? If not, then why have they put the 343 on the route instead of the 332 - operational reasons?
PARIS, FRANCE...THE BEIRUT OF EUROPE.

LX23

Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:40 pm

TUNisia:
You will certainly be getting food on the LHR-ZRH leg. The A321s C-class seating is obviously not great compared to the A343s, but it is about average for most European single-aisle flights. Enjoy your trip!

AirxLiban:

I've been looking through the schedules, and the best way to explain what I have seen is to use today as an example:

HB-JME (A343) comes into ZRH from HKG at 06.10. After 3h35min on the ground, it then leaves for CAI at 0945, is back at ZRH by 1910 (after a total of 1h20min at CAI), and out again to HKG (after 3h10min) by 22.20. It will then spend the 12 hours (roughly) making its way to HKG, a 7-hour layover there, and then the flight back. Thus, it will spend "only" 15h05 mins on the ground on a 48-hour cycle. This isn't really overkill, as the airplane is in the air on a route that usually has good loads in C and F (don't know about cargo) instead of sitting on the ground for at ZRH for an additional 16 hours.

I do remember that years ago, CAI did get an A332 (as did LHR, for example). As it stands now, the A332s get about 5 hours on the ground in ZRH before they flight out on their next intercontinental leg, and I don't think CAI is close enough to squeeze them into that 5/6-hour time frame.

I might be wrong (will check again tomorrow to see which airplane has done what), but it's good fun finding out, so will post more when I see what's happening.

TUNisia
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting LX23 (Reply 4):
I do remember that years ago, CAI did get an A332 (as did LHR, for example). As it stands now, the A332s get about 5 hours on the ground in ZRH before they flight out on their next intercontinental leg, and I don't think CAI is close enough to squeeze them into that 5/6-hour time frame.

I remember seeing a SWR A330 at CAI Terminal 2 on a Just Planes Air France DVD. Also, LX increased CAI from 5X weekly as of summer 2005 to now daily service...so it must have been doing well?

Does the flight from CAI always use the same AC that comes in from HKG?

LX23

Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:45 pm

I think part of LX's increase in ZRH-CAI flights was due to MS's pullout of ZRH. However, CAI has always done relatively well, especially in the forward cabins (I remember wanting to fly there once, and there was no availabilty in C or F).
I'm not sure whether CAI always gets the same a/c that comes in from HKG, but I guess in a day or two I'd be able to find out from looking at their next days' ops (obviously at some point, there's going to have to be a switchover of equipment for mx reasons)... However, simply looking at their timetable, the only arriving a/c that could potentially do a 60min turnaround and head off to CAI (at that time) come from SIN (operates daily except Wed), JNB (daily except Thurs), HKG (daily except Fri), and JFK (daily). I'll keep you updated.

yowza

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:49 pm

Quoting AirxLiban (Reply 3):
Why does LX fly a 340 between ZRH and CAI? Isn't that a bit overkill? If not, then why have they put the 343 on the route instead of the 332 - operational reasons?

Well given that Swiss are now in bed with LH and there are gajillions of Germans holidaying in Egypt I doubt they have problems filling this flight. If you go to Sharm el-Sheikh during the German winter you'll see what I'm talking about.

YOWza

TUNisia
Topic Author

Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:59 pm

Quoting LX23 (Reply 6):
I'll keep you updated.

Thanks! I'd appreciate it. These were the AC LX used in August when I went to Egypt.

HB-JMH (8/11/2005) ZRH-CAI
HB-JMF (8/23/2005) CAI-ZRH

LX23

Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:05 pm

hey!
well, I didnt update it yesterday because the CAI flight was an A320 (this is twice weekly I believe)...Regarding your question, it's worth noting that there was no HKG-ZRH flight coming in, so initially I thought it might be a case of the airplane always being the same...However, Today's CAI flight is operated by HB-JMC, coming in from SIN/BKK-ZRH 0615 out 0945 ZRH-CAI, back at 1910, and out tonight at 2220 to HKG. Meanwhile, HB-JME comes in from HKG, out to TLV, back to ZRH, and out to SIN/BKK. So for now, it would seem that CAI-ZRH-HKG-ZRH is done by the same airplane, but not necessarily the ZRH-CAI leg (i.e. the airplane leaving from CAI seems to be bound for HKG, but not necessarily the other way round). Even then, I'll keep looking and will let you know  Wink (unless you're bored with the subject Big grin)

SWISSER

Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:53 am

Quoting TUNisia (Reply 8):
HB-JMH (8/11/2005) ZRH-CAI
HB-JMF (8/23/2005) CAI-ZRH

Nice, the "newer" overhead bins!

I' am always sticked 9/10 with HB-JMA, I think this aircraft has a crush on me, but again this is an aircraft for history books!

Also Tel-Aviv has an A340 assigned for the exact same reason the guys mentioned.
Many A340's depart at 22.00 at ZRH, and they mainly arrive at 6.00 and a bit later.
Only the LAX and the "New yorker" are oddballs in this scenario.
the BKK-SIN takes a longer time to return, the JNB and GRU are real sun bathing trips for the three fourties, I hope one day they would do Kaapstad,
they have almost 11 hours turnover in JNB.
What time is top of descent?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos