Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Topic Author

Any Good Hotels Or Spots To Watch Planes In ORD?

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:48 am

Does anyone know if their is any good hotels or spots to watch planes in ORD?

Im going to Ord on Friday to fly on the UA 747 from LAX. I have been to Ord many times to change planes but never stayed over night.

Thanks for your help,
Brian from San Diego

dc10rules

RE: Any Good Hotels Or Spots To Watch Planes In ORD?

Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:55 am

If you have a rental car there is a company named Clingan Steel that is just north of the corner of Elmhurst Rd and Devon. There is a lot that is practically on the 14R threshold (although most aircraft will be taking off on 32L via T10) That is in the city of Elk Grove Village and they are a little easier on spotters than the men in blue from Chicago.

If you want to go that route email me and I will be happy to give you better vectors to that spot.

I am sure other a.nutters have some good spots as well for you.

Have fun, enjoy the 744

ER757

Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:29 am

The Sofitel in Rosemont has great views from the roof of the parking garage.
Also the Raddison (i think) on Higgins has a little par three golf course ajacent to the hotel that's directly under the approach lights of one of the runways where most if the inbound heavies from Europe land if the wind is from the right direction. The parking lot of the Rosemont Horizon is in the flight path of the same runway.

Manta

Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 2):
Also the Raddison (i think) on Higgins has a little par three golf course ajacent to the hotel that's directly under the approach lights of one of the runways where most if the inbound heavies from Europe land if the wind is from the right direction.

That's gone - they bulldozed the hotel and the golf course.

Quoting ER757 (Reply 2):
The parking lot of the Rosemont Horizon is in the flight path of the same runway.

You can't get into the Allstate Arena lot anymore unless you are attending an event. The lot is policed heavily now. Shame too, cause that used to be a great spot.

Quoting Dc10rules (Reply 1):
If you have a rental car there is a company named Clingan Steel that is just north of the corner of Elmhurst Rd and Devon.

That's a good spot - I use that one all the time. EGV cops know me by name over there now  Smile

I'll also park at the main lot at ORD and take the elevator up to the top of the parking garage and watch from there. Cops will come up there within a couple minutes of your arrival but are pretty cool about spotters and leave me alone. Most just look at me like I'm nuts when its cold out.

I really wish they would have done a viewing area on Irving Park Road next to 22L like they have at LAS 25L. It used to be a parking lot many years ago. Oh well. Have Fun!

pgtravel

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting 1011 (Thread starter):
Does anyone know if their is any good hotels or spots to watch planes in ORD?

If you're staying overnight and actually want a hotel room, you can always stay at the Hilton on the airport. It's definitely convenient and has views over the terminal area. I checked availability through the site I work for, PriceGrabber.com, and it looks like they have a $129 rate for Friday night.

deltagator

Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:14 am

If you get a room at the SpringHill Suites facing the Kennedy you have some views of planes landing on 27L. You could get some decent pis witha zoom lens.

There is a Gino's Pizza at O'Hare Plaza where you ould eat outside (not right now though) which is right under the 27R approach.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

Midway DC9-10

Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:25 am

They bulldozed the hotel and golf course? I drove by there a few weeks ago and saw the long term lot was gone but I didn't notice the hotel or golf courser being gone. Anyone know why they did this? Anything to do with the ORD growth plan?

Thanks,

Dave

planespotting

Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:32 am

last time I stayed around O'hare I was @ The Doubletree. It's a pretty nice hotel, and i got the room for $60 on priceline.com. My room had great views of aircraft approaching from the North side of the airport.

Also, I met a bunch of salesmen in the hotel bar, and I ended up going out with them and they bought me drinks and food all night everywhere we went and put it on their expense accounts, haha.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

Topic Author

Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:48 am

Thanks for all of the tips on spotting at ORD. I wish all airports had spotting areas like the south parking lot at LAS. We'd sit out there for 3 hrs when it is 109 degrees in the summer. You can get some great shots at LAS if you can shoot over the fence or through it

NYC777

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:30 am

Try the Hyatt as well.
That which does not kill me makes me stronger.

N328KF

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Manta (Reply 3):
You can't get into the Allstate Arena lot anymore unless you are attending an event. The lot is policed heavily now. Shame too, cause that used to be a great spot.

So that's why that area is coated with cops. Every time I go to Chipotle for lunch, everyone slows down because there are cops everywhere.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

Manta

Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:45 am

Quoting Midway DC9-10 (Reply 6):
They bulldozed the hotel and golf course?

Yep - the golf course is just a big mud pit right now and the hotel is a pile of twisted steel.

Quoting Midway DC9-10 (Reply 6):
Anyone know why they did this? Anything to do with the ORD growth plan?

My guess is that it has everything to do with the expansion plan, plus so many hotels in the area and the age of the former hotel.

ER757

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:14 am

Quoting Manta (Reply 3):
Quoting ER757 (Reply 2):
Also the Raddison (i think) on Higgins has a little par three golf course ajacent to the hotel that's directly under the approach lights of one of the runways where most if the inbound heavies from Europe land if the wind is from the right direction.

That's gone - they bulldozed the hotel and the golf course.

Quoting ER757 (Reply 2):
The parking lot of the Rosemont Horizon is in the flight path of the same runway.

Thanks for the update Manta - I was recalling the days when I lived in Des Plaines and used to go, camera in hand, to spot and shoot. Been a few years, should have realized things have changed.

BURules

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:33 am

While you can't get into the Arena parking lot, there's nothing stopping you from "shopping" at the Target right next door.

Still a pretty decent view.

SAIL52115

Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:49 am

Quoting Pgtravel (Reply 4):
If you're staying overnight and actually want a hotel room, you can always stay at the Hilton on the airport. It's definitely convenient and has views over the terminal area. I checked availability through the site I work for, PriceGrabber.com, and it looks like they have a $129 rate for Friday night.

My thoughts exactly. Hey guys, what about the long term lots at O'Hare? What about the cargo service road off Irving Park Road? Good for a quick drive-by.

Another OK spot (not great but very cheap and easy to get to from the Hilton O'Hare): Get off the CTA Blue Line at the Rosemont/River Road stop and maybe you can catch the traffic on 27R or 27L (not sure which). Stand by the bus turnaround or in the parking lot there. Towards the early afternoon, sometimes you can catch the overseas UA 777 flights coming back home from Europe.

Adam

ER757

Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:15 am

Quoting SAIL52115 (Reply 14):
What about the cargo service road off Irving Park Road? Good for a quick drive-by.

That's all it's good for. The authorities take a very dim view of anyone hanging around there. So you'd get a quick look at a plane or two before being chased.
But across Irving in the business park West of Mannheim and south of Irving, there's nothing preventing you from parking there and enjoying departure on 24L (I think) if it's being used.

Manta

Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:35 am

Quoting ER757 (Reply 12):
Thanks for the update Manta - I was recalling the days when I lived in Des Plaines and used to go, camera in hand, to spot and shoot. Been a few years, should have realized things have changed.

No problem - I used to live in Park Ridge growing up directly under the 22L approach path and the landing lights from the planes would light up the entire house at night. The UA DC-10's used to shake the whole house - loved every minute of it!

The other area I used to go to was the curve off of touhy by the 22R approach. Next to the office complex on the curve there used to be a little gravel area. I just get out of my car and pop my hood of my car. Then they put up those concrete baracades which killed that idea.

I'll also go to remote lot E when the planes are arriving on 27L/R. Only thing is that the DOA "police" start asking questions when you pull out the camera or are loitering around. I wanted to get a bunch of people together and do a tailgating thing (grills, food, etc.) and see what they say  Wink

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos