Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B757200

RE: CCS Under Huge Problems.

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:12 pm

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 47):
Another question - maybe someone knows:
What is with the "Teleferico" route that goes down from the Avila to el Litoral ? This would be a cool solution.

Well, I visited Avila M�gica almost a year ago and an old, rusty station is what was left of that route. I don't think Avila M�gica has done any improvements to the line in order to be operative.

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 48):
It is mentioned as an alternative route but by car only. Jeeps and other rustic cars may go thru El Galipan over the mountain that way.

Indeed. My brother traveled last weekend and fearing the mess at the old road, he decided to go down there by jeep. They pick you up at Hotel Avila and charge Bs. 200,000+ per person for the trip (about $100).

I also heard about a helicopter service that costs $200 from La Carlota to CCS. What a scam. This whole bridge issue is just the perfect situation for "vivos" to make money.  no 

RICARIZA

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:53 pm

This is really funny !
Where is it from

Well, my friend works for CanTV in Venezuela and sent it to me by email yesterday.. that is all I know..
Yeah it is pretty funny...  Smile
I miss ACES, I am proud of AVIANCA & I am loyal to AMERICAN

Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:08 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 38):
I sometimes ask myself why there is no heli-service offered to the city - at least for Business- and Firstclass passengers. This would really be a nice alternative and I can imagine that it would not be too expensive

There is one, Chiguire. Yesterday I was for a long time near La Carlota and saw at least 30 helicopters passing over me. All of them private. I've heard they cost about 200$ a person (pretty expensive for us!). That's a great solution, though, especially for people making long trips.

What is with the "Teleferico" route that goes down from the Avila to el Litoral ? This would be a cool solution. The only city in the world where you travel by cablecar from the airport to the city......

Well, this coming weekend I'm planning to go up there and then get down to La Guaira. It's supposed to be a fun thing! So I shall do it!

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 48):
Jeeps and other rustic cars may go thru El Galipan over the mountain that way.

Yes, you are invited  Wink

Well, my parents arrived from MIA last night at 20.45. They claimed their bags and then had enough time to go through the "Carretera Vieja". They made it in 2hrs10min. Not as bad as I thought.

Well, more info is about to come. I'll keep you posted!

Cheers!
Flying isn't dangerous. Crashing is what's dangerous!

SAS-A321

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:34 am

I just got a call from my company that I will be going to Caracas this thursday (12. jan). I will continue to José. Does anyone know where that is? Cannot find it in my World Atlas, but I suspect that it is near Caracas?
It's Scandinavian

B757200

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting SAS-A321 (Reply 53):
I just got a call from my company that I will be going to Caracas this thursday (12. jan). I will continue to José. Does anyone know where that is? Cannot find it in my World Atlas, but I suspect that it is near Caracas?

Hi SAS-A321. Do you work for the oil industry? You must be referring to Jose, which is an oil industry complex located near Barcelona, Anzoategui state. Will you be traveling by plane all the way to Jose? If so, you will most likely make a connection at CCS. That is, change planes and then go CCS - BLA (Barcelona). Otherwise, traveling by car, expect around 2 hours (might be longer due to the bridge issue) to get from CCS to Caracas and then about 4 1/2 hour road trip to Barcelona.

SAS-A321

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:01 am

I will join a tanker in Jose, so I guess that I will be going by plane to BLA, but I have not received my flight info yet.
It's Scandinavian

hrhf1

Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:59 am

Quoting MIA (Reply 49):
Lets remember that it is not Chavez's fault that the bridge was never maintained before he got to power

No, it's not. It is however, entirely his fault it wasn't checked SINCE he came to power and that's been 7+ years. Maybe he's too busy stripping the middle class of their money and liberty to worry about small things like the ONLY MAJOR LINK FROM CCS TO CARACAS.

Quoting MIA (Reply 49):
That 'advertisement' is typical of an immature polity that has nothing better to do.

Lighten up kid. You wouldn't know good political satire if it bit you in the Chavez.

LX23

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:15 am

Quoting Hrhf1 (Reply 56):
No, it's not. It is however, entirely his fault it wasn't checked SINCE he came to power and that's been 7+ years.

Actually, the bridge underwent repairs from 2001, when the situation was alleviated, and the current programme started. So not quite what you're saying. If you want an unbiased look at this, and can read spanish, I would suggest http://www.geocities.com/spulidos/P_Ppal.html

Quoting MIA (Reply 49):
That 'advertisement' is typical of an immature polity that has nothing better to do.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but sadly, it's been a part of Venezuelan politics for the past 7 years.

Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:37 am

Quoting LX23 (Reply 57):
Quoting MIA (Reply 49):

I wholeheartedly agree with you, but sadly, it's been a part of Venezuelan politics for the past 7 years

Guys, let me tell you something you might not perceive. Here in Venezuela, people ar characterized of being happy people that look always to the bride side of some problems. Here, is a perfect example. You might think it's childish or whatever, but I bet you all Venezuelans think is somehow funny... So LX23, I seriously don't think it's been a sad issue to us Venezuelans. Without this 'dark humour' we would have sank many years ago in a huge depresion. We are optimistic.....Anyhow, lets not turn this into a political conversation, so back to the thread!....

Lighten up kid. You wouldn't know good political satire if it bit you in the Chavez.

There you go!  bigthumbsup 

Cheers!

luisde8cd

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:43 am

Quoting MIA" class=quote target=_blank>MIA (Reply 49):
Lets remember that it is not Chavez's fault that the bridge was never maintained before he got to power.

Completely agree with you. But still Chavez has been around since 1999 and he had more than plenty of time AND MONEY (Very important) to even build the new proposed highway under the Avila.

Come on MIA, it's just a joke. You know we Venezuelans always find a way to get a laugh from our crisis.

I dont understand why they dont do a puente aereo from Charallave to CCS. It makes more sense than that godforsaken VLN.

It would make sense if Check-in would take place in Caracas. Charallave lacks the checkin facilities to handle all of CCS's pax. Also you would need about 10 Dash7s to take all of AF's 744 pax to CCS.

Chiguire - the cable car would be cool but I dont know how long it will take them to open the litoral-avila route.

The Litoral-Avila route is completely out of service. It would take longer to restore it than to build the new bridge.

Quoting B757200 (Reply 50):

I also heard about a helicopter service that costs $200 from La Carlota to CCS. What a scam. This whole bridge issue is just the perfect situation for "vivos" to make money.

Also the Vivos are charging Bs. 150.000 (USD 75) for rooms in hotels that used to cost Bs. 30.000 (USD 15) a night. Those hotels are locally referred as Tiraderos and are only used by its guest for a couple of hours Big grin

No, it's not. It is however, entirely his fault it wasn't checked SINCE he came to power and that's been 7+ years.

Exactly. They knew since the 1990s that the bridge was going to collapse sooner or later, it was only a matter of time. Chavez has had the money and time to build a parallel bridge before the collapse of this one. Instead of buying Billions (USD) of Argentina's debt bonds, he could've built an entire new highway plus the parallel bridge.

Quoting LX23 (Reply 57):

Actually, the bridge underwent repairs from 2001, when the situation was alleviated, and the current programme started

Great idea. Lots of Millions wasted into a structure that was going to collapse. Instead of wasting those millions in "pañitos calientes", they should've have built the new bridge and prevent this from happening. Again, Chavez had the MONEY and TIME to build the new bridge and prevent this from happening.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

mia

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:46 am

Hrhf1: Who do you think you are? For some reason you think you are BETTER than me because you are older? Huh? What? Im not a political scientist, member of the Venezuelan Section of the Latin American Studies Association? What? Dont worry, Captain 'the business owner' dipshit is on my case.

He of course is all knowing about the 'plight' of the middle (and upper) class, but is unaware of the plight of the lower class. Incredible, eh?

Thank you LX23 for the website.

I wrote an email to someone I know in Minfra and I suggested they do an airlink from Charallave to CCS, instead of Valencia.

Okay, Chiguire made some valid comments about the advertisement. I take it back, only partially as Venezuelans ALWAYS find a way to take stuff lightheartedly.

[Edited 2006-01-11 03:54:27]
"Like all great travelers, I have seen more than I remember, and remember more than I have seen."

Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:00 pm

Quoting MIA" class=quote target=_blank>MIA (Reply 60):
I wrote an email to someone I know in Minfra and I suggested they do an airlink from Charallave to CCS, instead of Valencia

Hey MIA, I think your idea is not as good as it sounds. I'll give you the basic reasons.

1) La Carlota was closed. Therefore, all airplanes parked there were flown to both Caracas and Metropolitano airports. This means, both airports are totally packed.

2) Following Nº1, Caracas airport is THAT packed, that even the wayting parking lots located at the 'terminal' are used, since there's no space left.

3) DC-9s, MD-80s and 727s are capable of landing at Caracas, but burning their brakes, and lets remember these aircraft are at least 40+ years old and it wouldn't be very nice to see them going down the cliff located at the end of the runway.

4) If I'm not wrong, Avior has estabilished an Air Bridge system between these two airports... so, it seems you've been heard somehow  Big grin

So, in order to receive so many flights a day, Caracas airport would have to get new facilities, check-inn desks, airline personnel, services, changing of the airport's entrance (remember it's private), habilitation of the busy parking spots (which are pretty small for 4 dash 7s together) and most of all, permitions.

It might just work for at least 5 airplanes (Avior) together, but not with two airlines at the same time...

My uncle owns a hangar at the airport since he has a small airplane, so he receives loads of info. I'll keep you posted anyways!

Cheers

LX23

Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:46 pm

Quoting Luisde8cd (Reply 59):
Great idea. Lots of Millions wasted into a structure that was going to collapse. Again, Chavez had the MONEY and TIME to build the new bridge and prevent this from happening

I dont know about you, but if my car breaks down, I'll send it to the repair shop, not buy a brand-new one right away. The funny thing is you have people on this thread complaining about "nothing being done", but as soon as it comes out that something was in fact being done, they complain that it wasn't "the right thing". Hindsight is 20-20  Wink

Also, the original project (which was rescinded, and the company sued the government in 2003) called for a 13-year construction period which means that even if they had stuck with it, the new bridge would not be ready for another 4 years. Also, you should consider the fact that this contract finally ended in 2002, and in most places, public works are put out on a bid, which take time to conclude.

The newer project was already under way (the materials for the new viaduct arrived at the end of December) since late September. Here's another suggested link for a few more details on the alternatives, from one of the more anti-government tv channels, but still informative nevertheless.

http://www.globovision.com/news.php?nid=16593

All in all, it wasnt "millions down the drain", it kept the bridge going until now  Smile

Who do you think you are? For some reason you think you are BETTER than me because you are older? He of course is all knowing about the 'plight' of the middle (and upper) class, but is unaware of the plight of the lower class. Incredible, eh?

MIA: It really isn't worth your time getting so upset and fighting with people like this. Believe me!Then again, as you can see, I still do it, so who am I to talk  Smile the plight of the majority of Venezuelans?why would anyone care?  sarcastic 

Chiguire

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:36 pm

Okay, Chiguire made some valid comments about the advertisement.

MIA, I am not going to justify the fact that I had to laugh some minutes. In a democracy I may do this whenever I want about whatever I want ! Sorry.

Quoting 797 (Reply 61):
4) If I'm not wrong, Avior has established an Air Bridge system between these two airports... so, it seems you've been heard somehow

This is not mentioned on their website. It only says that all operations are maintained as usual and that there will be no cancellations.

Quoting LX23 (Reply 62):
I dont know about you, but if my car breaks down, I'll send it to the repair shop, not buy a brand-new one right away. The funny thing is you have people on this thread complaining about "nothing being done", but as soon as it comes out that something was in fact being done, they complain that it wasn't "the right thing". Hindsight is 20-20 Wink

LX32 you are somewhat correct. Of course there is no need to build a new one if you can repair the old one. But there needs to be a realistic chance that the repair work is sucsessfull. And the risk for such an important highway was too high. Especially as those works were started much too late. Of course it is not correct to say "nothing was done" but it is correct to say "nothing was done in time". Of course you don't need to buy a new car when there is something wrong. But if you don't do the repairs by THEN and continue to drive is until is breaks down and then start to repair it, it is too late !

Quoting LX23 (Reply 62):
Also, the original project (which was rescinded, and the company sued the government in 2003) called for a 13-year construction period

Yes, and that is typical. You don't want to tell us that building a bridge takes 13 years, do you ?
Whatever the government does (and this is definitely nothing that is typical for THIS government), it has to be the most modern, best, most expensive and most prestigious project. Then - of course - it might take 13 years.
But, hey, where is the point to see that a bridge is about to collapse and to either repair it ON TIME or build a new one. Whatever the arguments are, one thing is for sure: a mistake has been done ! And as this government is there now for more then 7 year, sorry guys, it's a mistake from THIS government !

luisde8cd

Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:15 pm

Quoting LX23 (Reply 62):
Also, the original project (which was rescinded, and the company sued the government in 2003) called for a 13-year construction period which means that even if they had stuck with it, the new bridge would not be ready for another 4 years.

You are kidding right?

13 years to build a bridge? I don't think the proposed Sucre-Margarita Island bridge would take that long to build. If indeed that project called for a 13 year construction, then my friend I think that construction bid was plagued by corruption or inefficency or both, as usual from Venezuelan goverments. Now explain me how come now there's a construction going to build a new bridge that "should" be ready in 1 year?

Quoting LX23 (Reply 62):
dont know about you, but if my car breaks down, I'll send it to the repair shop, not buy a brand-new one right away.

My car breaks down and I'm told it needs a new engine that is worh 50% of a new car price and I'm also told that after they change the engine, they can only hope that it will last a couple thousand Kms more, but it will die again soon. I think I rather put the extra 50% and go for a brand new car and prevent from having me without car the year after when the other dies on me.

Quoting LX23 (Reply 62):
All in all, it wasnt "millions down the drain", it kept the bridge going until now

You are right... the correct phrase should've been "millions down the quebrada"  Smile.

Well I think I'm done with you.. if you wanna keep justifying the Govt's actions, or better said the govt's lack of action, go ahead be my guest, I'm having some good laughs at your statements. Even your beloved Vicepresident Rangel admitted that they hadn't taken the correct actions on the matter.

I think you should take a look at MIA's opinions which are more objective and unbiased. Despite this guy being 110% Chavista and me 115% Anti-Chavista, he and I usually find common ground and usually produce interesting debates. You my friend are completely radical and hindsighted.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

hrhf1

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:53 pm

Quoting MIA (Reply 60):
Hrhf1: Who do you think you are? For some reason you think you are BETTER than me because you are older? Huh? What? Im not a political scientist, member of the Venezuelan Section of the Latin American Studies Association? What? Dont worry, Captain 'the business owner' dipshit is on my case.

I think I'm a guy that after multiple trips to Venezuela, and talking extensively with many many dear Venezuelan friends, has the moral obligation to comment on a leader that I think is ruining a beautiful country which I love dearly. Saying that, you are more than welcome to be a Chavista. Welcome to democracy, so to speak. As a poli-sci student I'd think you'd be more open to debate and policy argument. Satire is an important political tool that gives the people, all the people a voice. Of course, often it doesn't go over well with supporters of a quasi-dictatorship.  stirthepot 

I don't know what you're attack on me being business owner about, but for your health I suggest getting a handle on your rage.

Quoting LX23 (Reply 57):
Actually, the bridge underwent repairs from 2001, when the situation was alleviated, and the current programme started. So not quite what you're saying. If you want an unbiased look at this, and can read spanish, I would suggest http://www.geocities.com/spulidos/P_....html

Thanks LX23, that's really interesting. Query as to how many cargo flights go in and out of CCS per day? I wonder if these could not be diverted to Valencia , thus CCS would be more able to divert their resources, and the limitations of the available road to ferrying pax. Of course you would still have the cargo arriving along with them, but every little bit helps as they say.

Regardless of fault, it distresses me how this situation came to be. I know here in Canada that engineers are always looking at, and certifying bridges as to their safety so that preventative measures can be taken, thus these doomsday senarios don't occur. Whatever the final solution, I hope those responsible keep a better handle on things in the future.

lamedianaranja

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting 797 (Reply 52):
They made it in 2hrs10min.

Good for them! My friend took her husband and son down on Sunday, as the first was leaving that day, and the other on Monday afternoon on AF. They spent the night in Caraballeda then on Monday evening it took them almost 5 hours to get back to the city and the last part, through the poor neighbourhoods, was pretty scary. My friend's daughter is blond and people on the streets were looking at them and walking toward the car, saying things like 'pretty girl' and so on. Nothing happened thankfully but they'll think twice about going up by night again.
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

TGV

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:15 am

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 66):
Quoting 797 (Reply 52):
They made it in 2hrs10min.

Good for them! My friend took her husband and son down on Sunday,

A colleague of mine arrived on Sunday with the AF flight and made it to CCS in 2hours30 minutes, paying 200 000 Bs.
He was coming to Valencia but the taxi did not accept to drive him there. So he had to take another taxi from Caracas City to Valencia.
I will never fly again 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y

lamedianaranja

Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:55 am

Quoting TGV (Reply 67):
He was coming to Valencia but the taxi did not accept to drive him there

Why didn't he fly?!
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:26 am

Quoting Hrhf1 (Reply 65):
Saying that, you are more than welcome to be a Chavista. Welcome to democracy, so to speak.

Wow! I was out of this one! However, I totally agree with you Hrhf1. I'm proud that a foreign person like you loves Venezuela perhaps more than real Venezuelans. Your comments are more than welcome!

Quoting LX23 (Reply 62):
I dont know about you, but if my car breaks down, I'll send it to the repair shop, not buy a brand-new one right away.

Ok, this I think might be totally wrong.

In the pictures, you can clearly appreciate the bridge's situation. It's fractured and bended. The cause of this fracture is simply both mountains pulling down the bridge, therefore, nothing can be done. My suggestion would be to throw down the bridge after they finish the alternate higway, and build a new one...If they fixed it, how much longer would it last...10 years, perhaps? I think building a new technology bridge is the best way to win this battle and maybe some positive points for the Chavez (and MIA) party  bored 

Putting some dark humour, I'm still wayting to see this bridge go down  bouncy !!! Wouldn't it be something amazing??

Cheers

TGV

Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 68):
Why didn't he fly?!

It was not organized, as of course his ticket had been booked before the problem.
On Sunday morning, as he was in flight, I checked the Aeropostal website, the 8 pm. flight (the only one he could reasonably take) was full.
I will never fly again 777 with 3-4-3 config in Y

2travel2know

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:44 am

Out of curiosity I checked the websites (in spanish) of VLN and BLA airports, it seems to me that BLA offer better facilities (terminal and airfield) than VLN.
The problem for BLA is that isn't that close to Caracas when compared to VLN.
BLA
VLN
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

Chiguire

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 71):
it seems to me that BLA offer better facilities (terminal and airfield) than VLN.

I don't know the VLN terminal, but BLA is very small.

But what kind of flights do you want to operate out of BLA ?
To Porlamar ? People can take the ferry right away
To Maracaibo ? They drive 4 hours in the wrong direction
To Europe ? No way, the airport is too small and not equiped for such services
To the US ? As far as I remember there are some safety issues that don't allow US flights
....... so BLA makes no sense.

Avior will start some services from Aeropuerto Caracas on Monday to Porlamar and Maracaibo as well as a shuttle to CCS. Let's see how this works.

Chiguire

Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:42 am

Is it my bowser or what kind of drugs did the webmaster from Valencia airport website take  drunk   drunk  ?

2travel2know

Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:20 am

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 72):
To Europe ? No way, the airport is too small and not equiped for such services
To the US ? As far as I remember there are some safety issues that don't allow US flights

Never been to BLA but there are (or were) Canadian charters to Puerto La Cruz ? For the website pics, It look like it could hande one wide body.
Isn't canadian safety issues as tough as US?
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

luisde8cd

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:12 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 74):

Never been to BLA but there are (or were) Canadian charters to Puerto La Cruz ? For the website pics, It look like it could hande one wide body.
Isn't canadian safety issues as tough as US?

It indeed can handle widebody planes. They problem is the's little ramp space to park more than 1 maybe 2 at the same time. There's a pic here in a.net's or myaviation database showing an Alitalia MD-11 in BLA.

Saludos desde Caracas,
Luis

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos