Striking NWA Workers Call On Minnesota Governor For Help

http://wcco.com/strike/local_story_007114936.html

Video Report:

http://wcco.com/video/[email protected]

lincoln

RE: Striking NW Workers Call On Minn. Governor To Help

Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:53 am

cry 

Ok, just to make sure I'm understanding the arguement correctly: AMFA is upset that the governor went to Detroit to talk to Ford about keeping a factory open for people who haven't walked off the job -- and are still working -- and he won't do AMFA's dirtywork to get the employees they represent[ed] jobs back after they voluntarially walked off the job?

[boggle]

I really lost most of the sympathy for the strikers, and all sympathy for AMFA, very early on... and I've never really thought that they were an entirely coherent orginization, but this takes the cake (so far, if I'm understanding correctly)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

flydreamliner

Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:10 am

Northwest is probably the worst airline to its employees. They've mandated pay cuts as much as 50% for unions like their flight attendents, they are trying the same with pilots, they forced their mechanics into strike, and hired temps to take their place (scary, if you think about NW's old, maintanance intensive fleet). NW is run by some shady people, and they don't treat their employees well. In the past few years, I've noticed NW go downhill seriously. They used to be a really good airline, now I avoid them if at all possible, and I live in their base hub city. I'd say AA is a much better airline, and even UA are better.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

lincoln

Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:34 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 2):
In the past few years, I've noticed NW go downhill seriously

I can't really speak from a management-employee relations perspecive, but the quality of NW's inflight services has been droping for well more than "a few years" -- well before other airlines started cutting back services using September 11th as the reason, meals disappeared entirely on domestic flights...a little while after that, video IFE was gone on domestic flights, a little after that audio IFE was also gone (or maybe they happened at the same time as the video).

The good news is short of charging for drinks or loading the cabin with folding lawn chairs (alternatively, implementing a BYOS policy), I don't really see how service levels could drop.

Lincoln
[Ok, It has been over a year since I've been on a NW mainline flight -- so correct me if things have change]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

RAMPRAT980

Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:05 am

What does AMFA want ?
Were they expecting a better offer that NW made to them a few weeks ago and the membership blew it out. Enough already !!!! AMFA, YOU LOST.
With gun control there can be no democracy.. With gun control there can be no Freedom

kcrwflyer

Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:11 am

Northwest is probably the worst airline

In the past few years, I've noticed NW go downhill seriously.

I'd say AA is a much better airline, and even UA are better.

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 3):
the quality of NW's inflight services has been droping for well more than "a few years"

yes  yes  yes 

flydreamliner

Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:12 am

Northwest's offers have been pitiful. They are an awfully cheap airline. I much prefer the service I get on discount carriers to NW. I'd fly Airtran or America West any day over NW. I can see it coming, they are going to charge for cabin drinks at some point. They've taken everything else away, including pillows, and on many flights, blankets. They are losing veteran flight attendents, their maintance staff is ..... scary. They're not in a good place. It's not a well run airline, which is really sad, because they have the potential to be really good.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

MidnightMike

Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:43 am

they forced their mechanics into strike, and hired temps to take their place

The AMFA went of strike for all the wrong reasons, & yes temps were hired, because Northwest knew a year in advance that they were going to strike. Northwest was trying to get away from the high priced cleaners & custodians, which were part of the AMFA Union. Now, I do feel sorry for the Mechanics, they should have never been part of the same union.

[b] They used to be a really good airline, now I avoid them if at all possible, and I live in their base hub city. I'd say AA is a much better airline, and even UA are better.[/quote]

Yeah, Northwest used to be a good airline, many years ago, I would say that the decline started back in 2000, I blame Management & the Unions, both sides got greedy & both want a piece of the pie, which started to bleed money away from Northwest.

I rode Northwest several times, in 2002 & 2003, bad service, bad attitude amung the Flight Attendants....

As to what Northwest is trying to do the Flight Attendants with the introduction of Foreign based Flight Attendants, & pay cuts, & tear up the Union contract, that is tooooo much and is bound to backfire, you can only ask so much from your employees before the attitude sets in that they want to see the company go bellyup....

Pilots, pay-cuts, pay-cuts, tear up the Union Contracts, form an airline within an airline, with non-union pilots. Once again, what are they are thinking, if you are trying to piss off your employees, then continue this line of attack.

Now, the Union is no angels, if they want to form an airline within an airline, then it should be staffed with Northwest Pilotts, but, they may have to negotiate they pay to the regional rate, which I imagine the Union is not going to like very much..

Somehow, both sides are going to look across the table at eachother, & find a way to work together, or, Northwest is not going to survive...
NO URLS in signature

ikramerica

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:17 am

Quoting MidnightMike (Reply 7):
Now, I do feel sorry for the Mechanics, they should have never been part of the same union.

Well, at least had their own contract.

Further, everyone anti-NW on this one forgets that the mechanics got a huge pay raise in the summer of 2001 and did zero to help out NW after 9/11 when the industry was in turmoil. They could have easily given some of it back to help, and been seen as good faith negotiators and dedicated employees.

While at other airlines, mid-contract, the unions and airlines worked together (not always with smiles, but they did), to fix some things to avoid BK, AMFA at NW did nothing for 4 years, sitting on their sweet contract, and then TRYING to send the airline into BK at the end of the contract.

Everyone screams about the dedicated M/X at NW who are being replaced by scabs, but it would seem the only thing the M/X at NW were dedicated to were their UNION and milking their contract for everything it was worth.

Blaming NW for preparing for these extortion tactics in advance is incredibly biased. Blaming NW for not showing loyalty to employees who showed them no loyalty is empty.

There are good ways and bad ways unions can work. AMFA at NW tried the bad way. They lost. Lesson learned?
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

kcrwflyer

Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:19 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 6):
They're not in a good place. It's not a well run airline, which is really sad, because they have the potential to be really good.

I agree. Its a shame how an airline their size, with hubs and aircraft they have can be managed so poorly.

toltommy

Mon Jan 09, 2006 6:11 am

I love reading KCRW and FlyDreamliners posts about how "things have gone downhill", when both are far too young to have any concept of how NWA and the unions go to this point!

I'll bet neither one of you have been stranded at the gate by a NW mechanic who seuddenly decided to "work to rule", and grounded a plane that he would have let fly just the day before. I have.

I'll bet neither of you remember when NW took pilot or mechanic strike, and then gave the unions much of what they wanted. I do.

I'll bet neither of you have had your allowances cut when things got tough at home.

FlyDream - whats your source for the 50% pay cut for the FA's? Everything I've read has been a big pay cut, but nowhere near the 50% you claim. Much of the pay loss could be madeup by being more productive and working more flight hours in a month. Do you realize that the senior FA's, the ones getting paid the most, also work the fewest hours/days in a month? How does that make good business sense? Senior crewmembers at the legacy carriers work an average of 12 days a month. Do your parents work that little and get a full time wage for their efforts? I doubt it. I suspect you are parroting what you've read on a union website. You need to look at both sides.

Furthermore, I love your claim as to how you've really noticed that the inflight service has declined over the past few years. How much do you fly? Whens the last time you bought a ticketwith your own money? How much did you really notice when you were 12 or 13 years old, comparred to today? I've been an elite member (at least silver, as high as platinum, currently gold for 2006) since 1999. IFE, meals on flights, and young attractive FA's are not why I fly. I can count on NW to be safe, reliable, and on time. That's why I fly them.

Back to the topic. Ford is looking at eliminating all jobs at the Ranger plant. NW needed to eliminate some, because a $55000 aircraft cleaner with a GED doesn't make financial sense. They wanted to cut mechanic pay, because mechanic pay has fallen on average, leaving NW at a cost disadvantage. When it was the other way, the unions all screamed for "parity" with other airlines. Now that parity means taking a cut, they don't want to.

NW employees had the choice whether to keep some unions jobs on the property, still making well above average wages. They decided to play the "all or nothing" game and lost. I'll bet Pawlenty flew NW to Detroit for that meeting, nd had great flights both ways!
A300/A310/A319/A320/A321/A332/A333 / 707/712/727/732/733/734/735/738/739/752/753
/762/763/764/772/788/789/DC8/DC9-10/30/40/50/MD81/83/87/88/90/L1011-/250/500/CRJ200/440 /700/900/EMB135/140/145/170/175/190/328Jet/F70/SF3/BE1/J31

jerion

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:20 pm

NWA has gone downhill and it's gone downhill quickly! I live in MSP and would rather fly AirTran via ATL/BWI/MDW to the east regardless of the connection and Frontier to the west (again regardless of the connection). They offer a much better product IMO.

I really feel for the employees. If NWA doesn't get their management and employee relation issues together I wouldn't be surprised if the empoyees destroyed the airline.

It's a damn shame!
L10/D9S/D10/M80/M88/732/733/734/735/73G/738/72S/757/762/763/320/319/318/ERJ

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos