Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Checo77
Topic Author

KLM Ever Back To SJO?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:28 pm

Hi guys,
I read in a forum that KLM is evaluatnig to return to SJO. Is this true? Now AMS is served with MP via MIA.
From what I know, there are lots of Dutch flying into SJO as well as many Europeans. I think that if KLM starts the service, they would feed all the European market, because not everyone wants to fly on a airline like MP (holiday airline).
What are the chances? Any info on this one?
Thank you,
Adam
Czech Boeing lover living in Lima

AMS

RE: KLM Ever Back To SJO?

Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:44 pm

I Personally don't think so, as MP already offers daily service via MIA/MCO. KLM owns 50% of MP and KL is now owned by AF . The MIA/MCO loads to
SJO are most of the time fully booked as there is a large demand. MP is now using a leased A320 from Taca on these routes.

Regards,
AMS

TACAA320

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:13 pm

Quoting AMS (Reply 1):
SJO are most of the time fully booked as there is a large demand.

They [MP] are already booked until March. Just a very few seats in Biz are available.
'Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind'. Albert Einstein

mauriceb

Tue Jan 10, 2006 11:26 pm

Quoting Checo77 (Thread starter):
Hi guys,
I read in a forum that KLM is evaluatnig to return to SJO. Is this true? Now AMS is served with MP via MIA.
From what I know, there are lots of Dutch flying into SJO as well as many Europeans. I think that if KLM starts the service, they would feed all the European market, because not everyone wants to fly on a airline like MP (holiday airline).
What are the chances? Any info on this one?
Thank you,
Adam

think KLM can offer a better product, since people prefer to go directly to SJO, and not via MIA.

wouldnt actually suprise me at all. with only 9 long haulers leaving the fleet ( 767's) and getting 14 more ( 9 777's 5 A330's) they have more capicity to expand and re-open old routes...

think the MD-11 will suit AMS-SJO perfectly

Checo77
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting MauriceB (Reply 3):
think KLM can offer a better product, since people prefer to go directly to SJO, and not via MIA.

wouldnt actually suprise me at all. with only 9 long haulers leaving the fleet ( 767's) and getting 14 more ( 9 777's 5 A330's) they have more capicity to expand and re-open old routes...

think the MD-11 will suit AMS-SJO perfectly

Also take into account that many people cannot fly via USA because they don´t have or didn´t get the US Visa. I know a bunch of people who travel to SJO via CCS. because they cannot via MIA. I think that a KL AMS-SJO would be great. Maybe they can make another stop in Central America, sort of what Iberia does. So they can maybe fly AMS-SJO-PTY-AMS or AMS-GUA-SJO-AMS. or of course, non-stop AMS-SJO-AMS.
Regards,
Adam

mauriceb

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:40 am

Maybe they can make another stop in Central America, sort of what Iberia does. So they can maybe fly AMS-SJO-PTY-AMS or AMS-GUA-SJO-AMS. or of course, non-stop AMS-SJO-AMS.
Regards,
Adam

they actually do that on some routes, but theire main goal is for direct flights, and since AF-KL became one company, more and more direct flights ere formed, instead of double routed

ehho

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:45 am

9 777's

Is KL really getting 9 new 772s? I thought it was 6.

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 4):
So they can maybe fly AMS-SJO-PTY-AMS

KL back in PTY! That would be a great break for the 737 heaven that is PTY..
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

mauriceb

Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:48 am

Quoting EHHO (Reply 6):
9 777's

Is KL really getting 9 new 772s? I thought it was 6.

nope  Smile here a list

2 order at end of 2004

2x2 leases at ILFC 2005

and 3 direct orders at boeing 2005

aer

Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting MauriceB (Reply 5):
AMS-GUA-SJO-AMS

If this where to happen, I would be standing at the airport with a Welcome Back! banner hehe  Smile
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

A388

Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:13 am

I don't see KL fly to SJO anymore as the people travelling to SJO from AMS are mainly tourists which on its turn suits MP very well. If KL would re-start the route, I think a routing via CUR (or AUA) would be a better option. If the rumour of Copa starting non-stop flights to CUR will become a reality, than KL can even codeshare with them as Copa will most likely become a Sky Team Alliance member because of the strong ties they have with CO. Making CUR a min hub for the KL/Copa flights and other possible routes might become attractive especially since CUR is actively looking for more airlines to serve CUR once the new terminal is opened.

If demand is really there I would suggest the management of our airport to take a closer look at these possibilities as well. Copa might start with their ERJ19O which may be too small now, but they can switch to the 737-700 or -800 once the load factors improve on the CUR-PTY route. Connecting to SJO from PTY shouldn't be a big problem right?

Just my two cents....

A388

LX23

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:22 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 9):
Connecting to SJO from PTY shouldn't be a big problem right?

Well, it's SJO-PTY-CUR-AMS, which is not a good route by any means. As Adam has stated before, a lot of people are doing SJO-CCS-CDG, which is certainly a lot easier than making the extra stop in PTY. I've been down in SJO and PTY twice since last summer, and I flew IB because I didnt want to go through the hassle of so many connections. Flights were full on Y-class both ways (one of the four flights was an A343, the other three an A346), and 3 out of the 4 times C-class was at least 90% full, at least half of us connecting on to other European flights. This doesnt count the twice-weekly (up to 3 times weekly in the high season) NM flights on an A332. Also, on my flight to SJO about a year ago (on Continental), about 30 of us connected at IAH from AMS, LGW, and even CPH! If AF or KL started flights, they could probably do quite well.

A388

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:06 pm

Interesting information LX23. It was just my opinion as KL operated to SJO via CUR in the past. KL can also pick up passengers from CUR as SJO is a familiar destination to local folks on the island. So does PTY with its Free Zone. Even though this group is rather small during some times of the year, it does bring in additional revenue (money).

A388

Checo77
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:19 pm

Quoting LX23 (Reply 10):
Well, it's SJO-PTY-CUR-AMS, which is not a good route by any means. As Adam has stated before, a lot of people are doing SJO-CCS-CDG, which is certainly a lot easier than making the extra stop in PTY. I've been down in SJO and PTY twice since last summer, and I flew IB because I didnt want to go through the hassle of so many connections. Flights were full on Y-class both ways (one of the four flights was an A343, the other three an A346), and 3 out of the 4 times C-class was at least 90% full, at least half of us connecting on to other European flights. This doesnt count the twice-weekly (up to 3 times weekly in the high season) NM flights on an A332. Also, on my flight to SJO about a year ago (on Continental), about 30 of us connected at IAH from AMS, LGW, and even CPH! If AF or KL started flights, they could probably do quite well.

Exactly. Costa Rica is crowded, literally CROWDED with European tourists. A flight connecting Europe, non-stop, would do great, specially in a good airline, not like MP.
I send an email to KLM to ask if they are evaluating a return to SJO. Let´s see their answer.
Adam

LX23

Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:43 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 11):
t was just my opinion as KL operated to SJO via CUR in the past

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way saying that your opinion is wrong. As a matter of fact, KL as you said operated SJO-CUR-AMS (another example of flights that stop in the ABC islands was the old AMS-CCS-AUA/CUR? or the current UIO/GYE-BON-AMS). What I'm saying is that I don't think a SJO-PTY-CUR-AMS would work as well because it's 2 stops and adds at least another 2 hours to the flight time.

However, if KL were to for example base 2 or 3 737 or even F100s in CUR as a mini-hub the way IB did in MIA, I could actually see them making a decent amount of money. In this case, the shorthaulers could do any of SJO/SAL/GUA/PTY-CUR with probably acceptable loads, and connect there to AMS, with the added benefit that these same airplanes could also probably do a rotation to CCS/BOG and make some extra money there. However, even as I've written this, when I think about it, I'm not so sure of this idea, because it would still involve making a stop somewhere before going on to AMS. Still and all, we can all dream about a mini-hub in CUR, and I'd be first in line  Silly

Central America itself still has a lot of potential because apart from IB there is no non-charter carrier that provides regularly scheduled non-stop flights to Europe.

Quoting Checo77 (Reply 12):
I send an email to KLM to ask if they are evaluating a return to SJO. Let´s see their answer

Well, first of all, congratulations on doing something beyond mere speculation  Smile I just hope they dont bounce back some generic answer. Do let us know what they tell you

Regards,
LX

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos