Topic Author

Globespan Abandoning STN?

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:11 am

STN GLA down to x1 weekly from 28 Jan, ends 24 March
STN EDI ends 24 March

STN GVA ends 25 March
STN TFS stays daily till end October

Source: http://www.flyglobespan.com/index.asp?lan=en
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

GLAGAZ

RE: Globespan Abandoning STN?

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:21 am

Expect STN-ATH to be announced soon. 7 flights a week.

They also have slots for STN-ZZF(most likely a place holder for SFB) using a 763 starting in April.

Although ofcourse slots don't mean much. But aswell as the ATH slots it also appeared in their timetable setion for a day recently.

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

ScottishLaddie

Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:49 am

Quoting BestWestern (Thread starter):
STN EDI ends 24 March

That's the end of the winter timetable, summer timetable still to be released.

[email protected]

Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:30 am

Quoting BestWestern (Thread starter):
STN GLA down to x1 weekly

Nothing like frequency as one competitive advantage.  Wink
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

BestWestern
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:14 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 3):
Nothing like frequency as one competitive advantage

Who needs freqency on STN GLA? Its not as if Ryanair and Easy fly the route six times daily.

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 2):
That's the end of the winter timetable, summer timetable still to be released.

The remainder of Globespans summer routes are released already.

ScottishLaddie

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 4):
The remainder of Globespans summer routes are released already.

They're not, there's a whole host of routes that they have slots for that haven't been annouced yet. These include such oddities Malta, Pula and Bergen. Yes, they are clearly leaving it late as we are almost half way through January, but everyone up here is expecting these remaining routes to be announced.

[email protected]

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:21 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 4):

Who needs freqency on STN GLA? Its not as if Ryanair and Easy fly the route six times daily.

So true, Mr B.W.  Wink I must laugh again at 1x weekly. LOL.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

BestWestern
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 6):
I must laugh again at 1x weekly. LOL

Its a strategical diversion  Smile

[email protected]

Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:44 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 7):
Its a strategical diversion

It's a stupid decision. It's BMI-esque! My God - are these airlines run by clowns?

I can see the announcement for the 1x weekly service:

'We are immensely pleased to announce a once-weekly service from London Stansted to Glasgow. With close attention to choice, convenience and flexibility, we offer unbeatable value-for-money, safety, punctuality, reliability and comfort. We are the hassle-free choice."

[Edited 2006-01-10 23:04:45]

ScottishLaddie

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:06 pm

STN-ATH announced today for the summer, daily flights.

BestWestern
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:16 pm

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 9):
STN-ATH announced today for the summer, daily flights.

Seems like Globespan will have one aircraft operating two destinations this summer from Stansted.

STN - TFS - STN - Day flight
STN - ATH - STN - Evening flight

With poor aircraft utilisation (based on sectors) Globespan will find it hard to pay the leases based on the fares they will be paying. The entire aircraft lease has to be paid off by two sets of passengers, rather than the five sets of passengers that FR and EZY squeeze out of the same lease - helping them keep fares down - and why they have shied away from long flights, like TFS. Sectors this long are really in-efficient from a crewing perspective. I wonder how many crew they will be basing in Stansted for these flights?

It will all end in tears.

BestWestern
Topic Author

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:47 pm

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 5):
but everyone up here is expecting these remaining routes to be announced.

But nobody down here (London) is expecting these routes to be launched. Its so hard (and expensive) to build a brand presence in the London area, especially when you keep changing the routes. Many have tried.. majority fail.

gkirk

Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 5):
They're not, there's a whole host of routes that they have slots for that haven't been annouced yet.

Just because they hold slots, that does not mean they will launch them...
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Damian

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:24 am

Wouldn't Globespan be better to concentrate on growing their operations at EDI and GLA where they have comparatively little competition, and where their brand is much more widely recognised? They seem to be going about the STN operations very healf-heartedly, and they aren't exactly picking the best routes.

[email protected]

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:28 am

Quoting Damian (Reply 13):
Wouldn't Globespan be better to concentrate on growing their operations at EDI and GLA where they have comparatively little competition, and where their brand is much more widely recognised? They seem to be going about the STN operations very healf-heartedly, and they aren't exactly picking the best routes.

What do you expect from some half-assed airline run by monkeys? Similar to a lot of up-starts nowadays, it seems.

gkirk

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:35 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 14):
What do you expect from some half-assed airline run by monkeys?

rotfl 
I think you're getting them confused with Air Scotland  Wink

[email protected]

Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:37 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 15):
I think you're getting them confused with Air Scotland

Don't even get me started. No, really.

It must be so easy to get millions from investors - hell, if they're willing to invest in such airlines, they'd be willing to give anyone anything!

What about AlphaOne? It's changed more times than the founder has changed his underwear! And where his it got it? Back to the drawing board! I must not be too harsh, though: it does stick to one thing - to change! Yet it too managed to secure a lot of money from ever-keen investors.

[Edited 2006-01-11 16:39:31]

BestWestern
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 16):
What about AlphaOne?

Its a stragegical diversion Pearson. They are trying to confuse the competition, and when they swoop... you will hear jaws drop. Mark my words

Smile

[email protected]

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 17):
Its a stragegical diversion Pearson. They are trying to confuse the competition, and when they swoop... you will hear jaws drop. Mark my words

Yep. I do mark your words. I've already ruined two monitors today.  Sad

GLAGAZ

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:36 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 14):
What do you expect from some half-assed airline run by monkeys? Similar to a lot of up-starts nowadays, it seems.

Half assed? Aren't Globespan the biggest player in the Canadian holiday market from the UK?

Gaz
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

[email protected]

Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 19):
Half assed? Aren't Globespan the biggest player in the Canadian holiday market from the UK?

My point precisely. They should concentrate on such a venture instead of acting virtually blindly in the low-cost market. They have begun a battle which they are to inevitably lose.

Skymonster

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:05 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 10):
Sectors this long are really in-efficient from a crewing perspective.

On the contrary, UK-TFS and UK-ATH are crew-quite efficient - acclimatised crew can do a round trip on these routes quite nicely in a single FDP, whereas multi-sector days not only bring down the total FDP but also result in a greater proportion of "wasted" turn time.

Andy
There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots

GLAGAZ

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:31 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 20):
My point precisely. They should concentrate on such a venture instead of acting virtually blindly in the low-cost market. They have begun a battle which they are to inevitably lose.

Flying GLA-PRG,BCN,AMS,FAO,SFB,ALC,AGP,PMI,TFS daily and EDI-STN,BCN,FAO,ALC etc is acting virtually blind in the low-cost market?

One thing people must realise if that GSM are NOT a low cost carrier. They are a low fares airline. Yes there is a difference.

Gaz

gkirk

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:32 am

They've stopped taking bookings for EDI-BOH.
FlyGlobespan, Scotlands charter airline  Wink

BestWestern
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:36 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 22):
One thing people must realise if that GSM are NOT a low cost carrier. They are a low fares airline. Yes there is a difference.

So they offer low fares, without being low cost. Thats intelligent. NOT

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 22):
is acting virtually blind in the low-cost market?

No, but deciding to compete in Stansted against the big boys with two routes is just plain crazy...

GLAGAZ

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 24):

So they offer low fares, without being low cost. Thats intelligent. NOT

Yeh, your right...Thats why they continue to expand, even breaking in the TransAtlantic market. They tell the press they are making good profits and good load factors, but this is all just a cover up for their obviously poor business plan....  Wink

Gaz

RJ100

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:46 am

I have waited for GSM to offer STN-EDI again. Unfortunately they won't bring back the flights.

Just booked easyJet instead for less than 26 pounds.

Sad  Smile

RJ100
none

planesarecool

Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:59 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 24):
No, but deciding to compete in Stansted against the big boys with two routes is just plain crazy...

The "big boys" at Stansted (EZY and FR) don't operate either Tenerife or Athens. And there is a huge market between London and GLA/EDI, hence why there are 58 daily flights between London's airports and EDI and 38 between London's airports and Glasgow (including PIK). They seem to offer a convenient schedule and low prices, so i don't see why they're so bad.

BestWestern
Topic Author

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:13 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 25):
They tell the press they are making good profits and good load factors

Sorry to spoil the party, but the entire Globespan group has a profit margin of 3.74%, and its solvency ratio has fallen from 61% in 2002 to 46% in 2004.

The company is whats known as destroying value.

I wonder what effect the 2005 LCC growth will have on these results next year.

(There is no point in just looking at Globespan Airways Ltd as it is fully linked to the parent)

GLAGAZ

Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:32 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 27):
38 between London's airports and Glasgow (including PIK)

I make it 42.

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 28):
Sorry to spoil the party, but the entire Globespan group has a profit margin of 3.74%, and its solvency ratio has fallen from 61% in 2002 to 46% in 2004.

The company is whats known as destroying value.

I wonder what effect the 2005 LCC growth will have on these results next year.

(There is no point in just looking at Globespan Airways Ltd as it is fully linked to the parent)

I don't know why you seem intent on seeing GSM fall flat on their faces, but it aint going to happen.

As Planesarecool commented, STN-TFS and STN-ATH and not operated by U2 or FR, does anyone fly to ATH from STN?

GSM have 49 options for the 738W and apparently have options for a further 2 767 for this Summer. Now would an airline who feels they are going to fail bother to plan all this?

Gaz

planesarecool

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:38 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 29):
I make it 42.

Now i check, i make it 45:

8x BMI (LHR)
11x EZY (5x LTN, 6x STN or the other way round, cant remember)
2x AB (STN)
2x GSM (STN)
18x BA (6x LGW, 12x LHR)
4x FR (STN)

GLAGAZ

Thu Jan 12, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting Planesarecool (Reply 30):
Now i check, i make it 45:

8x BMI (LHR)
11x EZY (5x LTN, 6x STN or the other way round, cant remember)
2x AB (STN)
2x GSM (STN)
18x BA (6x LGW, 12x LHR)
4x FR (STN)

GSM aren't 2x daily any more  Sad

Gaz

ScottishLaddie

Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:43 am

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 11):
But nobody down here (London) is expecting these routes to be launched. Its so hard (and expensive) to build a brand presence in the London area, especially when you keep changing the routes. Many have tried.. majority fail.

Well good because London ain't getting them, they're for EDI and GLA.  Wink

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 12):
Just because they hold slots, that does not mean they will launch them...

No shit.

Quoting RJ100 (Reply 26):
I have waited for GSM to offer STN-EDI again. Unfortunately they won't bring back the flights.

Just booked easyJet instead for less than 26 pounds.

Sad Smile

RJ100

Yes, unfortunately they are being painfully slow in releasing the STN flights for sale. Very irritating really.

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 20):

LOL that is so far from the truth it is unbelievable, what Flyglobespan have done over the past few years in Scotland is anything but act blindly!! And as you can see from their choice of routes from STN, they are being very clever there too, they aren't jumping into routes that they know are going to fail, TFS and ATH aren't served from STN by anyone else, that's no co-incidence I'm sure. GSM are picking up on a virtually untapped market from North of London here.

Humberside

Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:53 am

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 29):
As Planesarecool commented, STN-TFS and STN-ATH and not operated by U2 or FR, does anyone fly to ATH from STN?

No one flies STN-ATH, though Easyjet fly LGW/LTN-ATH and BA/OA LHR-ATH

There is no low cost competition from London to TFS, though there are seat only deals available on the charter carriers
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

gilesdavies

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:09 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 33):
There is no low cost competition from London to TFS, though there are seat only deals available on the charter carriers

Monarch Airlines flies daily services between LTN and TFS and they are classified as a Low Cost Carrier in many peoples eyes.

The route is very successful and on many days they operate the route using an A321 or 757 durring the summer months.

Humberside

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:22 am

Quoting Gilesdavies (Reply 34):
Monarch Airlines flies daily services between LTN and TFS and they are classified as a Low Cost Carrier in many peoples eyes.

The route is very successful and on many days they operate the route using an A321 or 757 durring the summer months.

Yes, I forgot about Monarch Scheduled
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

GSM763

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:29 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 23):
They've stopped taking bookings for EDI-BOH.

The route has now disappeared from the timetable and route maps as well. This is a bit premature is it not most domestic bookings are made at short notice so they should have given it a bit longer before dropping it.

ScottishLaddie

Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:39 am

Quoting GSM763 (Reply 36):
The route has now disappeared from the timetable and route maps as well. This is a bit premature is it not most domestic bookings are made at short notice so they should have given it a bit longer before dropping it.

Agreed! But they've got a bad habit of taking such action.  Angry

BestWestern
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:23 pm

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 32):
And as you can see from their choice of routes from STN, they are being very clever there too, they aren't jumping into routes that they know are going to fail

Again, sorry to end the party, but what about

STN - GLA
STN - EDI
STN - GVA

Did Globespan really think they could start flying to GVA between 2 EZY hubs, or make trunk domestics work with a twice daily schedule? What are they smoking.

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 25):
this is all just a cover up for their obviously poor business plan....

A carrier offering low fares without being low cost is a poor business plan.

cornish

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:33 pm

Quoting ScottishLaddie (Reply 32):
TFS and ATH aren't served from STN by anyone else, that's no co-incidence I'm sure. GSM are picking up on a virtually untapped market from North of London here

Hardly - LTN and STN have a large amount of their catchment area overlapping.

Besides ATH is a very hard market. EZY do it a smuch becuase Stelios wants them to do it for the prestige of flying home as much as anything else, plus Easy have a large enough fleet to offset the problem of flying a long sector with one of its aircraft, which preclude sit from doin gmany rotations a day - something that would be a problem in my view for a small airline like Globespan
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

[email protected]

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:36 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 38):

Of course it is.

Globespan should have found a niche - perhaps from GLA, grow that nicely, great brand recognition, customer loyalty, etc. - then created a second base, perhaps at EDI, fly to similar/identical destinations (if viable), etc. Do it like that and slowly. Concentrate on becoming as efficient as possible while concurrently increasing your yields and auxiliary revenue as much as possible. I REALLY don't see how it'd be at all difficult to become known by almost everyone in Scotland and where you fly to. Think of all the people - millions, probably - who visit Scotland in the all-important summer season.

[Edited 2006-01-13 12:37:52]

GLAGAZ

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:40 pm

Where is your proof of that? Zoom are another example of a low fares airline, are you going to say they are doing poorly?

Oh and by the way, there is not much difference between low cost and low fares, but its enough for them to be separate things. GSM allow you to pre-book your seats, they use air-bridges, they sell package holidays, they fly long haul. Not exactly your typical U2 or FR.

STN - GLA
STN - EDI
STN - GVA

Yes, we all thought the same when they announced it. But GSM were offering good times, they give you a free drink and something to eat, you can purchase accomodation in London and they seem to be doing pretty well from EDI.

I agree that 2x daily AMS or CDG from GLA/EDI would be better than STN, but then on the other hand GLA is crying out for some low cost competition on the LGW route.

Gaz

GLAGAZ

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:42 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 40):
I REALLY don't see how it'd be at all difficult to become known by almost everyone in Scotland

They already are. They are on the side of every bus and in every paper. Then you have the television adverts aswell.

Gaz

cornish

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:49 pm

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 41):

Where is your proof of that? Zoom are another example of a low fares airline, are you going to say they are doing poorly?

An airline can have low fares without low costs but it is a very foolish idea if the airline plans to stay in business long term. Means you'll get the lowest possible yields from your flights.

Ryanair can go ultra low with its fares because it has the lowest costs in the industry. If it didn't have such low costs it would be out of business by now.

By and large in compeitive markets healthy airlines either have low costs, or high fares (with bums on seats of course). Low cost low fares works, high cost high fars does too (providing the high fares are enough to keep yields sufficient) but low fares with no low costs will NEVER work longterm
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

GLAGAZ

Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:58 pm

Quoting Cornish (Reply 43):
An airline can have low fares without low costs but it is a very foolish idea if the airline plans to stay in business long term. Means you'll get the lowest possible yields from your flights.

Ryanair can go ultra low with its fares because it has the lowest costs in the industry. If it didn't have such low costs it would be out of business by now.

By and large in compeitive markets healthy airlines either have low costs, or high fares (with bums on seats of course). Low cost low fares works, high cost high fars does too (providing the high fares are enough to keep yields sufficient) but low fares with no low costs will NEVER work longterm

Fair enough, the day they disappear I will admit I was wrong.

Gaz

BestWestern
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Oh and by the way, there is not much difference between low cost and low fares, but its enough for them to be separate things. GSM allow you to pre-book your seats, they use air-bridges, they sell package holidays, they fly long haul. Not exactly your typical U2 or FR.

So, GLAGAZ tell me how Globespan can afford to give me a drink, airbridges, etc for £29.98 return inclduding all taxes, charges, etc You cannot offer a quality product, and charge low fares... it doesnt work. They are 34p more expensive than Ryanair.

GSM were offering good times

A twice daily schedule on a trunk domestic route isnt good times.

GLAGAZ

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:27 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 45):
So, GLAGAZ tell me how Globespan can afford to give me a drink, airbridges, etc for £29.98 return inclduding all taxes, charges, etc You cannot offer a quality product, and charge low fares... it doesnt work. They are 34p more expensive than Ryanair.

Well seeing as it was a new route for them and a difficult market to crack with EZY already there, I imagine they are offering such low fares to try and entice passengers away from easyjet, once they have a solid foundation they can then increase the prices as they see fit.

How many new routes operate at in profit in their first year?

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 45):
You cannot offer a quality product, and charge low fares

Ever heard of Air Berlin?

Gaz

BestWestern
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting GLAGAZ (Reply 46):
once they have a solid foundation they can then increase the prices as they see fit.

Gaz, in their dreams. There is one thing that is certain in this industry - yields are falling - not rising. Globespan should stick to Scotland, and ignore London - they can be successful there, but not in London.

[email protected]

Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:51 pm

Quoting BestWestern (Reply 47):
Globespan should stick to Scotland

Yes. Hell, they could do extremely well in Scotland. Build-up a very nice base in GLA with a huge amount of brand awareness, customer loyalty, etc. Become known for offering the best convenience and choice, with the best safety, punctuality and reliability. Create a second base in EDI to the same destinations (if viable) when GLA is working nicely. They could even operate 'VV' flights to ABZ and possibly even IBZ (routes depending). They could be Scotland's Airline.

BestWestern
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:00 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 48):
and possibly even IBZ (routes depending).

Is Ibiza in Scotland?  Smile

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos