Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airfinair
Topic Author

Wash. Redskins Ride In Style To BFI

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:43 am

Redskins vs. Seahawks. Big game = big plane. Doing a search of past flights on flightaware.com, it looks like UAL 9887 is the designated flight number for the Redskins charters, and it has been a mix of 752's & 763's. Until now.

So when was the last time a UAL 744 landed at BFI?
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL9887

Airline United
Flight Number 9887
Departure City (Airport) Washington, DC (IAD)
Departure Time 01/12/2006 05:43 PM
Arrival City (Airport) Seattle, WA (BFI)
Arrival Time 01/12/2006 07:20 PM
Remaining Flight Time 02:04
Aircraft Type Boeing 747-400
Current Altitude 36,000 feet
Current Groundspeed 547 mph

So I wonder what the Redskins will be flying to Chicago next weekend?

[Edited 2006-01-13 02:45:21]
ORD,MDW,IND,ARB,AMS,FRA,AUS,ANQ,DTW,DEN,PHL,PIT,MIA,GPT,SAN,PHX,LAX,SFO,OAK,SEA,LAS,SLC,SMF,ATL,MEM,BOS,MHT,JFK,EWR,LGA,NAS,SAT,MSY,DFW,AUS,IAD,GCM,RSW,PHL,CLT,

HPLASOps

RE: Wash. Redskins Ride In Style To BFI

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting Airfinair (Thread starter):
So I wonder what the Seahawks will be flying to Chicago next weekend?

Do you mean what will the Bears fly to BFI? Seattle has the number 1 seed, Chicago is #2. And that's only if both teams win.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

mbm3

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:53 am

The Seahawks will be very tough to beat, especially playing at home.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

airfinair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:55 am

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 1):
Do you mean what will the Bears fly to BFI? Seattle has the number 1 seed, Chicago is #2. And that's only if both teams win.

Yeah, I edited my post. I meant the Redskins. Sorry Seahawks fans.
ORD,MDW,IND,ARB,AMS,FRA,AUS,ANQ,DTW,DEN,PHL,PIT,MIA,GPT,SAN,PHX,LAX,SFO,OAK,SEA,LAS,SLC,SMF,ATL,MEM,BOS,MHT,JFK,EWR,LGA,NAS,SAT,MSY,DFW,AUS,IAD,GCM,RSW,PHL,CLT,

atmx2000

Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:56 am

Quoting Airfinair (Thread starter):
Redskins vs. Seahawks. Big game = big plane. Doing a search of past flights on flightaware.com, it looks like UAL 9887 is the designated flight number for the Redskins charters, and it has been a mix of 752's & 763's. Until now.

Well why not fly in style for what is likely to be the last game of the season for them?  Smile
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

airfinair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:00 am

All kidding aside, the reason I posted this was mainly because its pretty rare to have a UA 744 at BFI, no? I am curious if anyone knows the last time one was there.

HPLASOps

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:23 am

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 5):
All kidding aside, the reason I posted this was mainly because its pretty rare to have a UA 744 at BFI, no? I am curious if anyone knows the last time one was there.

Maybe the 744 just wanted to go "home."
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

HPRamper

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:46 am

Why would a team need a plane that large? Maybe they are bringing a fan section with them, or media.

freakydeaky

Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:59 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 7):
Why would a team need a plane that large? Maybe they are bringing a fan section with them, or media.

Without naming "the source" (and it is the source), the reason is so that all the coaches, players, and owners could ride in business class or better.

"The source" won't let me post any more information about it although I'm dying to.
"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could."

RDUDDJI

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:13 pm

Quoting FreakyDeaky (Reply 8):
Without naming "the source" (and it is the source), the reason is so that all the coaches, players, and owners could ride in business class or better.

"The source" won't let me post any more information about it although I'm dying to.

This is all true. Except the owners and coaches will likely sit in First

Cheers,
-The source.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

airfinair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:17 pm

Hey, why not. For the way they played last weekend (or the lack of play from Tampa) they deserve it. Besides, can you imagine the defensive line of any NFL team riding in coach? Thanks for the info, FreakyDeaky. And thank the source, too. If you could also ask your source one more thing: When the Redskins lose to the Bears on 1/22, will they be sent packing on a UA B744 or a Ted A320?  Wink

freakydeaky

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:22 pm

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 10):
If you could also ask your source one more thing: When the Redskins lose to the Bears on 1/22, will they be sent packing on a UA B744 or a Ted A320?

"The Source" says he hopes it's on a CRJ100 but's not sure he'd be able to cram the owner's ego in it - so he might let them return on foot. Yes, he's over them completely and hopes to never see them again.

HPLASOps

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:39 pm

The Deep Throat of the charter biz? I didn't know one existed?

roseflyer

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:49 pm

That would have been a sight. The flight club that I did all of my flying out of is right next to the spot where they park all the charters. It would have been amazing to see a United 747 pull up right next to me as I was preflighting a Cessna 172.

I remember seeing the Detroit Tigers fly in on a DC-9 and how the busses drove up to the plane from about 200ft away. That was cool. But being that close to a 747 would have been far cooler. The best part about it is that there is no security to stop someone like me from walking right up to the jumbo. There was only security when ConAir made its weekly flights to BFI Smile
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

gunsontheroof

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:53 pm

I posted this was mainly because its pretty rare to have a UA 744 at BFI, no?

Or anywhere near Seattle for that matter, except for an occassional sub at SEA. Hopefully a local photographer will catch it while it's here...
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

roseflyer

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:57 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 15):
I posted this was mainly because its pretty rare to have a UA 744 at BFI, no?

Or anywhere near Seattle for that matter

SEA use to get multiple daily 747 flights. But since then the 742s have gone away and NRT has been converted to 777s. But there are still plenty of pictures of 747s at SEA and of course you can't forget that every UA 747 spent quite a bit of time up at PAE.  Smile

BFI does have some nice spotting opportunities though (as SEA sucks). Commercial planes other than newly built 737s are pretty rare, but there are some good views. BFI has no where near the security of Sea Tac since it does not have any commercial airline service apart from some Cessnas and B1900s.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

airfinair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:59 pm

Quoting Gunsontheroof (Reply 15):
Hopefully a local photographer will catch it while it's here...

I'd imagine they'll send it back to ORD or SFO tonite or early tomorrow. Then pick them up on Saturday night or Sunday.
Any further info on the movements of this particular 747, FreakyDeaky's source?

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:01 pm

Does anyone know the tail number of the 747?

gocaps16

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:06 pm

Perhaps the captain is a rather big Redskins fan and decides to stay for the game.  Smile But I doubt if he'll be IAD-based....maybe he's a big Bears fan.  Smile

Kevin

freakydeaky

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:18 pm

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 17):
Any further info on the movements of this particular 747, FreakyDeaky's source?

It's supposed to repo to SFO tonight and after that he's not sure. He does say a 744 is supposed to pick 'em up on Saturday.

airfinair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting RoseFlyer (Reply 16):
BFI does have some nice spotting opportunities though (as SEA sucks)

You'd bet I'd be making a trip to BFI right now if I lived in Seattle! One of my favorite airports to spot at! And SEA used to be great when Viewpiont Park was open on the west side of the airport - awesome views! But, they needed a third runway.......

rwsea

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:26 pm

SEA use to get multiple daily 747 flights. But since then the 742s have gone away and NRT has been converted to 777s. But there are still plenty of pictures of 747s at SEA and of course you can't forget that every UA 747 spent quite a bit of time up at PAE.

SEA even used to see 747's on routes like SEA-ORD and SEA-DEN, on a daily basis, as recently as the late 1990s and 2000. Now these routes are mostly 752, with some 320s as well. SEA-DEN and DEN-SEA still see one daily 777 though, to connect to the SEA-NRT flight.

ckfred

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:30 pm

It's not uncommon for teams in playoffs to fly larger aircraft than for games during the regular season.

During 2003, the Cubs usually flew on the likes of 737 or A320, but when they flew to FLL for the NLCS, they had a DL 757 one way and a DL 767-200 the other way. Mind you, a baseball team has 25 players, and usually 10 to 15 coaches and other staff during the regular season. So there were probably wives and family, as well as media members.

The White Sox used AA 757s for their post-season flights. They couldn't use a larger plane, however, since the team flies in and out of MDW.

airfinair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:35 pm

Quoting RwSEA (Reply 22):
SEA-DEN and DEN-SEA still see one daily 777 though, to connect to the SEA-NRT flight.

Back in the late 90's thru at least 2002/03 (IIR the date correctly), UA had a daily 777 ORD-SEA morning flight - that was the SEA-NRT positioning flight. I used to make it a point to fly that flight - it was early, so no one was on it. I probably flew it four times in 3 years, and had most of the economy section to myself. I don't remember there ever being a SEA-ORD 747 flight, though. I'll take your word for it, as it was probably before I was making regular visits to SEA to see family and to visit PAE/SEA/BFI/RNT.

hiflyer

Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:55 pm

dang and i was so looking forward to them going out there on a flyi crj...the 'official airline of the redskins'.

On a more serious note as the teams go farther and farther into the playoffs the aircraft get bigger and bigger to carry the team, triple the press corp, some team family members, and whoever the owner owes a couple favors to or trying to impress....in this case wonder if some 6 flag folks for Snyder or even some NASACR folks for Gibbs are onboard.

gunsontheroof

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:09 pm

you can't forget that every UA 747 spent quite a bit of time up at PAE.

I figured that I probably didn't need to point that out here.  Smile
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

airfinair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:30 pm

FreakyDeaky - One more question please, for you and your source: I am assuming that all possible flights for NFL charters and their respective charter airlines are already made throughout the playoffs, correct? For example, the Bears have arrangements in place for a possible trip out to SEA next week, or even to DTW for the Super Bowl? And the Redskins have made arrangements for a possible trip to DTW? And so on and so forth. And how far in detail are the plans made? Down to a specific aircraft? Flight crew? I can't imagine a large airline can just "wing it" (no pun intended) when planning for a possible NFL charter.

airfinair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:58 pm

Quoting FreakyDeaky (Reply 20):
It's supposed to repo to SFO tonight and after that he's not sure.

Thanks. Here it is:
http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL9972

Airline United
Flight Number 9972
Departure City (Airport) Seattle, WA (BFI)
Departure Time 01/12/2006 09:45 PM
Arrival City (Airport) San Francisco, CA (SFO)
Arrival Time 01/12/2006 11:20 PM
Remaining Flight Time 01:28
Aircraft Type Boeing 747-400
Current Altitude 2,800 feet
Current Groundspeed 236 mph

RDUDDJI

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:12 pm

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 27):
One more question please, for you and your source: I am assuming that all possible flights for NFL charters and their respective charter airlines are already made throughout the playoffs, correct? For example, the Bears have arrangements in place for a possible trip out to SEA next week, or even to DTW for the Super Bowl? And the Redskins have made arrangements for a possible trip to DTW? And so on and so forth. And how far in detail are the plans made? Down to a specific aircraft? Flight crew? I can't imagine a large airline can just "wing it" (no pun intended) when planning for a possible NFL charter.

General Agreements are made, but substitutions and unplanned things (like the playoffs) can change the agreement. I don't know who does the Bears charters, and there aren't any firm plans in the works for a skins charter to DTW, but don't read anything into that, there wasn't anything in place for this week until they won last weekend.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

airfinair
Topic Author

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:20 pm

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 29):
General Agreements are made, but substitutions and unplanned things (like the playoffs) can change the agreement. I don't know who does the Bears charters, and there aren't any firm plans in the works for a skins charter to DTW, but don't read anything into that, there wasn't anything in place for this week until they won last weekend.

Thanks a lot for the info. I was assuming that the Bears charted UA, but I may be mistaken.

deltairlines

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:34 pm

New England is chartering a Delta 767-400 for the ride to DEN tomorrow...flight is going ATL-PVD-DEN, I believe DL9801. For the record, the Pats used a DL 767-300 during the regular season.

Jeff

3DoorsDown

Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:49 pm

I'll go down to BFI Saturday if there will be a 747 picking the losers (Skins) up. If it's a twin or God forbid an Airbii, I'll pass. Royal probably got a night shot of her tonight.

3DD

freakydeaky

Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:18 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 29):
I am assuming that all possible flights for NFL charters and their respective charter airlines are already made throughout the playoffs, correct?

Yes.

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 27):
And how far in detail are the plans made? Down to a specific aircraft? Flight crew? I can't imagine a large airline can just "wing it" (no pun intended) when planning for a possible NFL charter.

Flight attendents were pretty much "demanded," as well as the ground crew to a certain extent. The owner is very demanding and seems to get everyone involved worked up into a "state" every week. This week he rudely demanded a 747 and got it. Normally it's a 757/767.

airfinair
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:55 am

Well I guess its his prerogative after using UA all season long. But could this also be a good for UA? Yes, if UA can profit from it - and not just profit from monies recieved from this NFL team or any other charter for that matter. How about in general PR terms? I'd say its very good for that. If the PR is done correctly. I have to say, other than stating, "United - The Official Airline of the Washington Redskins," on a game program, how can UA benefit further from this, in terms of the general public recognizing the significance? I'd hazard a guess that not many people (outside of the aviation world) would realize that UA flew the team out to SEA, let alone on a 747. It'd be nice to see UA realize its their preogitive to show the general flying public images of this particular NFL team charter. And not just showing the 747 in the nightly local news clips of players deplaning at some remote stand. Let the public know this happens. It can only help business.

Pretty basic stuff here, from a person with no PR experience, but you catch my drift. Thoughts?

ER757

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 24):
I don't remember there ever being a SEA-ORD 747 flight,

Yes - it was in the 80's and was NRT/SEA/ORD (also flew the other way).
Rode it many times.

gritzngravee

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:55 am

I think they allow spitting on the 747 maybe that's why.

TinkerBelle

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:40 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 31):
New England is chartering a Delta 767-400 for the ride to DEN tomorrow...flight is going ATL-PVD-DEN, I believe DL9801. For the record, the Pats used a DL 767-300 during the regular season.

They should get a 777 for the flight to Indy next weekend then. Same T7 should also fly them to DTW.... Before you say it, you bet they'll clobber the 'plumber' and his DEN boys and then as always, take care of Indy next week.  duck 
If you are going through hell, keep going.

corey07850

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:50 am

Same story last year... After the Super Bowl they flew two or 3 DL 764's out of DAB to accomodate all the players, coaches, families, etc.

fraspotter

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:43 am

I am curious if anyone knows the last time one was there.

When they were being built....  Wink
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

ScottB

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:55 am

New England is chartering a Delta 767-400 for the ride to DEN tomorrow...flight is going ATL-PVD-DEN, I believe DL9801.

Yup, and here it is:

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL9801

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 37):
They should get a 777 for the flight to Indy next weekend then. Same T7 should also fly them to DTW

Delta doesn't have a heck of a lot of T7's to be using for charters, though perhaps there's a light ATL-Europe flight given that we're in January. More importantly, it seems the Patriots prefer to fly out of PVD, and I'm not sure PVD can handle an aircraft that big.

Tornado82

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:25 am

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 12):

The Deep Throat of the charter biz? I didn't know one existed?

I knew a girl nicknamed Deep Throat once, but I digress...

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 37):
They should get a 777 for the flight to Indy next weekend then. Same T7 should also fly them to DTW.... Before you say it, you bet they'll clobber the 'plumber' and his DEN boys and then as always, take care of Indy next week. duck

NE will not need a plane next weekend. They'll be home. Pittsburgh will be chartering a US 757 to DEN though.

AirCop

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:19 am

Just a historical note, the San Francisco 49ers were the first team to start using widebody aircraft for away games. In 1981 the niners were to fly to DC to play the Redskins and United did not have its usual DC-8 available so the switch was made to a DC-10. The 49ers won, and Bill Walsh enjoyed the extra room for the players and the staff and the rest is history. For football buffs the 49ers went on to win their first Super Bowl that year and for years they had the best road record in the NFL while still having to travel the most. For many years they were the only NFL Western Division Team west of the Central Time Zone.

Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:20 am

If anyone cares, the 747 the skins used was 182ua. I took this plane from ORD-SFO back in 1999.

KabAir

Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:32 am

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 36):
They should get a 777 for the flight to Indy next weekend then. Same T7 should also fly them to DTW.... Before you say it, you bet they'll clobber the 'plumber' and his DEN boys and then as always, take care of Indy next week.

Tinkerbelle, I think it's great that you're a loyal fan to your team. And I just want you to know that when the game is over tonight, I'm here for you if you need to talk or cry about Brady's 4 INT's or about NE's failed threepeat run. I'm here for you buddy  Smile
wow, there sure are a lot of expert economists on this forum....

ikramerica

Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:50 am

when nfl teams charter a 757, how do they get all their equipment to the location? It can't all fit below.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

Tornado82

Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:41 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 44):
when nfl teams charter a 757, how do they get all their equipment to the location? It can't all fit below.

Evidentally it does, the Steelers do it all the time.. and sometimes only us an A321. I've never seen a trail-behind freighter flight following it, even on trips to places like GRB.

Many college programs, even the Sugar Bowl Champion West Virginia Mountaineers use 738's, etc. to haul their stuff... and college rosters are typically larger than NFL.

3DoorsDown

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:48 am

Today the 'skins used N199UA. It was a good match. Gray and blue plane, gray weather, blue mood for the 'skins.  biggrin 

3DD

dc8jet

Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:56 am

When the Super Bowl was in Dertoit in the early 1980s there was a United DC-10 at DTW that had "49er Liner "titles on it. And oh by the way it will be the Panthers flying to BFI not the Bears!

thepilot

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:01 am

Looks like the Skins lost, so I guess their ride home won't be as great.
From YVR

freakydeaky

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:01 am

Even though I'm a lifelong fan of the Redskins, I'm not surprised about today. Ho-hum...

white 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos