Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

planespotting

RE: Wash. Redskins Ride In Style To BFI

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:05 am

Also, normally during playoff games, the players and coaches families also come on the trip, so the extra room would be put to good use.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

ltbewr

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:09 am

As suggested previously, during playoff games like this weekend, I am quite sure that many others would be traveling with the team on this flight instead of on seperate or regular commercial flights. You have the coaches, owner(s), team office staff, some family members of those people, maybe some media people, as well as some key team fans (friends of the owners, former team members, injured team members) on those flights. Then you have all of their equipment, luggage, and realted junk. Don't forget too that this is a cross country flight, not just a 1-2 hour jaunt, so the extra room is nice. I am quite sure that the Redskins pay good $$$'s for this flight, UA isn't going to take a loss, although they may write off part of the cost as marketing.

vxg

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 am

Why don't professional sports teams have policies about not having too many people fly on the same plane at once? I know that large corporations have policies like this for business travel. For example the company I work for has a policy that no more than two executives (VP level or higher) are permitted to fly on the same plane & no more than 30% of a product or marketing team are allowed to fly on the same flight. The reason for this is of course business continuity.

I recall a story years ago where the Zambian national soccer team all perished in a plane crash off the coast of West Africa. I am sure there have been other incidents like this over the years.

(btw the game was great, Seahawks won!)

VxG

posti

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:33 am

I saw this monster on finals to BFI out my apartment window this afternoon. It was a nice break from the constant stream of new 737s, cargo 767s, and bizjets.
I think we need a BFI rarities thread. We see all sorts of weird stuff, F-5, MiG-17, DC-3...
MKE via RAC, LAF, VRN, SEA, and LGW

gunsontheroof

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:41 am

Quoting Vxg (Reply 52):
Why don't professional sports teams have policies about not having too many people fly on the same plane at once?

Probably because they fly a lot more people a lot more often and can't afford to charter two or more aircraft. Great question.

Go Hawks.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

L-188

Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:53 am

20-10 go hawks.

Washington is supposedly going to take a surplus greyhound bus back.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

crogalski

Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:43 am

I KNEW IT WAS A 777!!!!!

in regards to the last NFL thread, someone said it was a UAL 767.. b/c I saw it parked here in TPA..
A319 A320 A321 A330 B717 B727 B737 B747 B757 B767 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 DC9 E145 E190 MD88 Q400 | AA AB B6 CO DL EI FL NK

atmx2000

Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:55 am

Quoting Vxg (Reply 52):
Why don't professional sports teams have policies about not having too many people fly on the same plane at once? I know that large corporations have policies like this for business travel. For example the company I work for has a policy that no more than two executives (VP level or higher) are permitted to fly on the same plane & no more than 30% of a product or marketing team are allowed to fly on the same flight. The reason for this is of course business continuity.

Well, if you lose one third of your team, you are screwed anyway. And let's face it, its only sports.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

IceTitan447

RE: Wash. Redesigns Ride In Style To BFI

Sun Jan 15, 2006 7:33 pm

Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 2):
The Seahawks will be very tough to beat, especially playing at home.

Not after Sat. Game. The Bears are gonna kill em' They looked bad against Washington. The Seahawks are all hype. They had an easy schedule. They beat teams twice like the 49rs, Cardinals, Rams, and lost to tough teams like Jacksonville. They wont be a match for the Bears, so Seahawk fans better be rooting for the Panthers. Smile

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 7):
Why would a team need a plane that large? Maybe they are bringing a fan section with them, or media.

If you go to the Carolina website, there is a link for a fan carter. You can buy a seat on the plane, tickets to the game, and such. The players are already in Ord.

GO BEARS!

Tango-Bravo

Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 36):
They should get a 777 for the flight to Indy next weekend then. Same T7 should also fly them to DTW.... Before you say it, you bet they'll clobber the 'plumber' and his DEN boys and then as always, take care of Indy next week.

For what... to take the field at an empty RCA Dome to visualize what might have been? Too bad the Steelers and Broncos (and arguably the referees) "botched" the script.

Tango-Bravo

Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:20 am

Quoting Airfinair (Thread starter):
So I wonder what the Redskins will be flying to Chicago next weekend?

Hmmm... looks like none of the teams in this weekend's NFL playoff games followed the script. (see reply 59)

gunsontheroof

Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting IceTitan447 (Reply 58):
Quoting Mbm3 (Reply 2):
The Seahawks will be very tough to beat, especially playing at home.

Not after Sat. Game. The Bears are gonna kill em'

I have my doubts.  Smile
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

DCrawley

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:21 am

Interesting that they charter such large aircraft.. but Paul Allen's teams don't do too bad for themselves!

The Seahawks are all hype.

Hmm.. that's why SA got MVP, Hasselbeck broke the passer rating record, and still had the second best record in the NFL?

They had an easy schedule.

The Seahawks had some bad opponents, but they have more than showed themselves worthy.. even the "experts" are calling this excuse played-out.

They beat teams twice like the 49rs, Cardinals, Rams

Practice makes perfect  Wink .

and lost to tough teams like Jacksonville.

Tough? I don't see them playing in the Division Championship game.

Not after Sat. Game. The Bears are gonna kill em' They looked bad against Washington.

They wont be a match for the Bears

Oh, my how right you are.. since they couldn't make it  Wink. If you care to recap how horrible the "Monsters of Midway" were today, here's an ESPN.com - NFL - Recap.

GO HAWKS! (... sorry, after 21 years of no playoff win and always having been a loyal fan, what else am I suppose to say?)

-d
"Weather at our destination is 50 degrees with some broken clouds, but they'll try to have them fixed before we arrive."

Hamlet69

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:32 am

Totally OT, sorry:

They wont be a match for the Bears, so Seahawk fans better be rooting for the Panthers.

Actually, I was rooting for the Bears, because I thought they'd be easier to beat than the Panthers. Looks like I was right.

They looked bad against Washington.

That we definitely agree on. They are going to have to play much better against Carolina if they are going to Detroit.

The Seahawks are all hype.

What hype?!? Even after going 13-3 and going perfect at home. Only losing to the Redskins because of a missed field goal and the Packers because - well, they didn't care, every sports analyst in this country kept down-playing what they were accomplishing and questioning how good they actually were. Most still are.

Hype is called the Bear's D. Though good, it was definitely overrated. And without an offense to speak of, that's not a winning formula.

Hamlet69
All gave some. Some gave all.

Tornado82

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 40):
NE will not need a plane next weekend. They'll be home. Pittsburgh will be chartering a US 757 to DEN though.

Just call me the swami.

halls120

Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:29 pm

Quoting Hamlet69 (Reply 63):
What hype?!? Even after going 13-3 and going perfect at home. Only losing to the Redskins because of a missed field goal and the Packers because - well, they didn't care, every sports analyst in this country kept down-playing what they were accomplishing and questioning how good they actually were. Most still are.

While the Seahawks are indeed a good team, they aren't going to be facing a pathetic Redskins offense next week. Carolina can score, and they have a defense to go along with it.

Carolina by a touchdown.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

Tornado82

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:00 pm

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 65):

Carolina by a touchdown.

For the right to play Pittsburgh, in the USAirways Bowl

RDUDDJI

Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:44 pm

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 50):
Also, normally during playoff games, the players and coaches families also come on the trip, so the extra room would be put to good use.

Typically family members of the players do NOT fly with the team. Owners/coaches want the teams focused on the task at hand, and not distracted by other issues. I know for a fact that on the IAD BFI charter, there were over 200 seats unoccupied in coach.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

JayinKitsap

Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:15 pm

Actually, I think it will be Hawks v Broncos in Detroit. As the Hawks were in the AFC West until a few years ago, it will be a rivalry weekend game like Michigan - Ohio State.

Speaking of teams with easy schedules, what happened with the Colts - the Bus ran them over.

airfinair
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:31 am

The Bears are gonna kill em'

Oh my! What happened to our Bears? Outplayed, outcoached, outscored -the Bears stunk it up! Congrats to the Panthers fans, your team was well-prepared and just plain superior to us.

So, with the Panthers win, and the other game results, is there a pattern to the wins and loses?

TEAM AIRCRAFT RESULT
Redskins UA 744 Lose
Patriots DL 764 Lose
Steelers US 752 Win
Panthers US A321 Win
ORD,MDW,IND,ARB,AMS,FRA,AUS,ANQ,DTW,DEN,PHL,PIT,MIA,GPT,SAN,PHX,LAX,SFO,OAK,SEA,LAS,SLC,SMF,ATL,MEM,BOS,MHT,JFK,EWR,LGA,NAS,SAT,MSY,DFW,AUS,IAD,GCM,RSW,PHL,CLT,

IceTitan447

Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:55 am

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 69):
Oh my! What happened to our Bears? Outplayed, outcoached, outscored -the Bears stunk it up! Congrats to the Panthers fans, your team was well-prepared and just plain superior to us.

Agree, I was there, it was COLD!

Hamlet69

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:00 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 65):
they aren't going to be facing a pathetic Redskins offense next week.

I agree, which is why I was rooting for the Bears.  Wink They would have been much easier to knock off.

Hamlet69
All gave some. Some gave all.

fraspotter

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:11 am

Quoting 3DoorsDown (Reply 46):
Today the 'skins used N199UA.

Yeah, I flew on that plane on June 21st from FRA-IAD...
This photo was taken the very next day on June 22nd...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Bartosz Kaczmarek [epwa_spotters]

[Edited 2006-01-16 19:15:23]
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

alexinwa

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:30 am

I know it been posted but it was SOMETHING TO SEE when this 744 passed QWEST on finals to BFI. It was about 1430 local time.

Everyone on the east side was in shock. Even non-airplane nuts thought it was amazing.

Glad i was at the game, glad it see the hawks win, PRICELESS to see a UA 744 on finals to BFI close up!!!
You mad Bro???

airfinair
Topic Author

Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:21 am

Quoting Alexinwa (Reply 73):
glad it see the hawks win

Go Seahawks! I'd be surprised if the Panthers fly a single-aisle to SEA this week. Probably a US 767(?) If so, and pattern continues of widebodys = losses, the Seahawks will have nothing to worry about.
ORD,MDW,IND,ARB,AMS,FRA,AUS,ANQ,DTW,DEN,PHL,PIT,MIA,GPT,SAN,PHX,LAX,SFO,OAK,SEA,LAS,SLC,SMF,ATL,MEM,BOS,MHT,JFK,EWR,LGA,NAS,SAT,MSY,DFW,AUS,IAD,GCM,RSW,PHL,CLT,

Tornado82

Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting Airfinair (Reply 74):

Go Seahawks! I'd be surprised if the Panthers fly a single-aisle to SEA this week. Probably a US 767(?) If so, and pattern continues of widebodys = losses, the Seahawks will have nothing to worry about.

US doesn't have a plethora of widebody lift out there... and they're going to be flying for both Carolina and Pittsburgh. Look for the 752/A321 again.

AirCop

Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:57 am

Correction: Panthers took a Pace 757 (G-JWCD) with Apple Vacations markings to Chicago last weekend and not US Airways.

Tornado82

Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:56 am

Quoting AirCop (Reply 76):
Correction: Panthers took a Pace 757 (G-JWCD) with Apple Vacations markings to Chicago last weekend and not US Airways.

Interesting!

Pittsburgh still took the 752 to IND, and I assume likewise for DEN in a couple days.

airfinair
Topic Author

Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:31 pm

Quoting AirCop (Reply 76):
Panthers took a Pace 757 (G-JWCD) with Apple Vacations markings to Chicago last weekend and not US Airways.

Are you sure it was the Panthers who flew the Pace 757, or was it a fan or family charter? Typically, and I'm sure this was the case, a team will fly in the night before, not 3 hours before game time. And I'm not sure a NFL team will fly on a single-aisle all-economy aircraft. The Bears would have surely won if this was the case!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos