Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyf15
Topic Author

Tipping Airline Crew

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:02 am

I've been thinking about something. Why aren't flight attendants and pilots tipped?

Waiters are restaurants are tipped typically 15% of the meal price, for doing fairly little work. You most likely tip your van driver from your hotel to the airport a dollar or two for the 10 minute drive and getting you to your destination safely.

Additionally, many people have no problem paying $5 onboard for alcohol or $8 onboard for a meal or movie.

Think if each passenger tipped, say, $5 (a fairly low amount I must say, compared to waiters, drivers, in flight costs, ...) on a typical 2 hour 737 flight with 100 pax onboard. Between the 3 flight attendants and 2 pilots, that is $100 each, or a $50/hr increase in pay!

If pilots are merely drivers and flight attendants merely servers, they should be treated as such and be tipped. I would much rather tip my flight crew $5 for getting me safely to my destination and enduring passengers, bad weather, etc than tip my waiter at dinner later that evening $15.

aircanada014

RE: Tipping Airline Crew

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:06 am

I remember my dad told me one time there was a nice smooth landing in Toronto on B767-300ER with AC and one passenger came to the flight deck told the Captain that was the best and smoothest landing he ever experience so he tipped the captain $100.00CAD but the captain told the passenger it was my dad who did the landing so the captain split the money in half so they both (pilots) got 50.00 tipping.

fbgdavidson

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:09 am

Oh god....as if tipping every single person you come across in the service industry isn't enough. I HATE the American psyche that is driven to tip everyone.

Hey why not the check-in agent, the TSA guy, the warden at the lounge, the gat agent, the flight attendent, the immigration guys and the customs officers too?  Angry
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

xpfg

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:22 am

Bus drivers aren't tipped...

desertjets

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:29 am

You don't tip them b/c they are paid a reasonable wage/salary. If pilots and f/a's made a base salary below minimum wage then ok... but thankfully they don't.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

JAGflyer

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:32 am

I should tip the FA $5 for bringing me a drink and throwing a pack of cookies at me? FAs are not liked servers. They do not usually come back to ask "how is it going?", "can I get you anything?"
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

Pope

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:33 am

Who's the last waitress you met that had a pension/401k, paid sick days, vacation, stock options, medical and the other fringe benefits associated with being a professional?

But why stop at airline personnel. Why not tip your doctor for curing you of a disease? Your accountant for preparing your taxes? Your lawyer for winning the case? Why not tip a teacher? Etc . . .
Hypocrisy. It's the new black for liberals.

jetdeltamsy

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:36 am

Quoting Flyf15 (Thread starter):
Why aren't flight attendants and pilots tipped?

Because we are paid a living wage...or at least we used to be.

Restaurant waiters typically earn less than minimum wage plus tips.

While our paychecks are shrinking, we still earn a little more than minimum wage.

I have been offered tips several times over the years. I always declined to accept them.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

cedarjet

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting DesertJets (Reply 4):
If pilots and f/a's made a base salary below minimum wage then ok... but thankfully they don't.

Oh yeah? You wouldn't believe how badly some of them are paid. AA's junior first officers were eligible for food stamps until the scandal made AA lift the wages just enough to clear the poverty line. For FAs it's even worse. Believe me. This isn't the 60s when aviation wages were (on average) 20% higher than an equivalent company at a non-aviation related business. Do some research; and I bet some of the answers to follow on this thread will prove illuminating.

PS I hate the US tipping thing as well. It's such a hassle, why can't companies pay people properly so we don't have to arrive in the country with a roll of dollar bills to start handing out as soon as we clear immigration? Tipping is almost unheard of in the UK except at restaurants, but even then it's usually a compulsory surcharge. Never tip in bars or anywhere else. Yay!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

flyf15
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:47 am

Guys, I hate the idea of tipping as well.... but if it is going to be done, I think that pilots and FAs should be thrown into the mix as well.

To the posters that say that pilots make a livable wage... tell that to anyone flying an RJ or a turboprop. There are lots of professional Part 121 airline pilots flying you and your family around making less than $20,000 per year. Small tips would make a very drastic difference to the pay of these individuals and are much more on par with the service provided than paying a 15% tip to a restaurant waiter/waitress.

SNfreak

Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:55 am

Well in Belgium we "don't know" what tipping is.
Service is included in every price for everything.
Personally I think this is one of the best ways to do it.
As a little child I was in the States with my folks, I remember my dad almost being harrased by the hotel lobby guy because the tip he gave was too low...

And for the wages, well it's sometimes worse than most people think.
And not only wages but fe overnights, sometimes crew members have to pay their own hotel costs...

lincoln

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 5):
"how is it going?", "can I get you anything?"

That's because you don't tip them [and/or you aren't flying in First]  Wink

I raised this question in specific reference to crews working on Thanksgiving/Christmas day (both days it happend that I was flying). I was advised against tipping. Instead I just give the crews (and anyone else I ran into that was working for the airline on those days) a fairly simple "Thank you"-type card (Thanksgiving it was at the end of the flight, Christmas I went back to the galley about 1/2 way through because I had missed some people by waiting until the end.

On one of the Christmas day flights, the FAs were GREAT before the cards (one of the best CO inflight crews...and that's saying something for CO), but after the cards they made sure to thank me, and to check up on me several times for the remainder of the flight (Including two of them offering to get me drinks, which I politely declined since I don't really drink).

I don't intend to hand out Thank You cards on every flight (Though I do keep a stack of blanks in my carry on just in case someone does something really special), but if I ever find myself traveling on a holiday again, I will make sure that the crews know that they are appreciated. (In another thread someone mentioned bringing donuts and/or chocolate... I'll have to keep that one in mind)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

AJMIA

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:40 am

Showing your appreciation to anyone who goes above and beyond the call of duty is always nice regardless of what line of work they are in.

For airline employees a small gift or nice letter to the company is probably more appropriate, but cash money (whether it is accepted or not) is usually a nice gesture as long as it is not a "bribe" to waive rules or get free service.

What really makes my day is when someone remembers me and brings me something back from their vacation and drops it off on their way home or next trip.

There is a nice couple from GCM who I helped out once who always bring me Tortuga Rum cakes when they pass through Miami... Bad for the waistline but good for the soul.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

zchannel

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:46 am

If I am on a long flight and I keep pestering the crew for booze, I will tip them a few bucks. They are always appreciative of it, even if some of the cabin crew is reluctant to accept the gratuities. I feel they deserve it, because the crew is usually running around like chickens with no heads and then they have to deal with me on top of it...
ZChannel: Member FDIC

aerorobnz

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 2):
Oh god....as if tipping every single person you come across in the service industry isn't enough. I HATE the American psyche that is driven to tip everyone.

Hey why not the check-in agent, the TSA guy, the warden at the lounge, the gat agent, the flight attendent, the immigration guys and the customs officers too?

Agreed. It just seem excessive to me.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

AJMIA

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:56 am

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 2):

OK... I am American, so I am used to the practice of tipping, but I actually like it.

As the consumer it puts total power with you... When the gratuity is figured into the price, you pay it regardless of the level of service you receive. However, when you tip at your own discretion you can make your opinion of the service you received VERY clear.

AJMIA
Lady it's a jet... not a kite.

turnit56N

Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:59 am

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 9):
if it is going to be done, I think that pilots and FAs should be thrown into the mix as well. To the posters that say that pilots make a livable wage... tell that to anyone flying an RJ or a turboprop.

I partially agree with you, but I would not want anyone to tip me. I do fly an RJ, and although I make a comfortable living wage now my first year as an FO was very lean. I made well under $20K. At some regionals, the second year isn't much better. I could have easily qualified for welfare and food stamps my first year as an FO. Bearing that in mind, if a passenger getting off the airplane tried to give me a dollar, I would be insulted. Americans do tip excessively, but we don't tip everyone in the service industry. Generally, service type jobs requiring a high level of education and skill aren't traditionally tipped. As was already pointed out, you don't tip your doctor or your lawyer. You do tip your waiter and your cab driver. If you tried to tip an airline pilot, the implication is that you place them in the latter group. I'm pretty sure the vast majority of airline pilots would feel like a tip was an insult. After all, pilots often talk about how RJ pilots and flight instructors qualify for welfare or food stamps, but you don't often hear about them actually recieving food stamps. Nearly every flight instructor I've known, including myself, lived below the poverty line. I don't know one pilot or CFI that actually applied for government aid when they were qualified to recieve it. I'm sure it's happened, but it's very rare. It's because even when pilots are low-paid, we have more pride than is probably good for us....which is why we probably as a group don't want to be tipped.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

lowrider

Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:33 am

How about we figure out what most folks would tip, and raise fares by that amount. It would go a long way towards helping out.
Proud OOTSK member

GVWOW

Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:39 am

When a cabin crew member shows exceptional performance at his/her job, I believe tipping them is a good idea. It encourages them and probably the other crew members to keep their performance at a high level. It is also very easy to judge the performance of a cabin crew member (as opposed to a pilot, where there are usually conditions unknown to the passengers). This is not to say that I think the flight crew should not be tipped (I don't have an opinion one way or another about that). I know from experience that a pleasant and efficient cabin crew can make the difference between a good flight and a bad flight.

threepoint

Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:47 am

Quoting GVWOW (Reply 18):
I believe tipping them is a good idea. It encourages them and probably the other crew members to keep their performance at a high level

No, you're confusing a tip with a bribe.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

GVWOW

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:02 am

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 19):
No, you're confusing a tip with a bribe.

ummmm... Part of keeping the service level high is NOT excepting bribes to bend rules and such. Tipping because of good service is more like an incentive, then offering money if specific things are done. Normally, people judge the cabin crew by it's attitude and disposition.

Dash8King

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:03 am

So your supposed to tip the 3 flight attendants and 2 pilots? Thats a little different then just one server and is a bit excessive. Your RJ pilot may not make much now but some day he will probably make more then you. Being a pilot is a hard road but in the end it pays off well.

flyf15
Topic Author

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting Dash8King (Reply 21):
So your supposed to tip the 3 flight attendants and 2 pilots?

In my example, $5 total was tipped to the entire flight crew. Resulting in (if split evenly), $1 per crewmember.

copenhagenboy

Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:49 am

In by opinion as a Dane, it would be total impolite to tip a FA. I think, I in a polite way would be spanked or would be looked as a crazy person if I tried to tip a FA on SAS, LH or Thai.
BTW I still think it is a strange feeling to tip 1 USD when I go to a bar for one beer or a drink. In happy hours you pay 1-2 USD for a beer and have to tip 1 USD, or else they will throw your ½ USD on the desk in front of you.
If in Denmark, if you would tip it would be related to the expenses you have. I have worked as a waiter in Copenhagen and I would think it would be strange that my customers should tip me for buying just one beer or coffee. If there was a party going on and they ordered 10 beers or drinks a tip of DKK 10-20=3USD would be nice. All other giving more had to be crazy or drunk. Sure I know that the earnings and salary in the US for a bartender and many else's is a part of their tips. But it is not for the people working in the airline industries (I suppose). Traveling in many years in different parts of the world, I think I know how to behave. But I still have to look in guidebooks to look if I remembers the tipping system correctly. Taxis, in the hotel, I need to change in the airport to have the correctly amount of small 1 dollars, When you have done that,yes then your are free to go to the Big Apple and I love NYC. Landing and seeing the Statue of Liberty, just in front of your window, before landing in EWR is a very special experiences. Well, we live in a big and different world. And thanks for that  

[Edited 2006-01-14 02:00:33]

CRAPPYSEATS

Sat Jan 14, 2006 2:44 pm

I was SO impressed with the kick ass spirit on a recent NWA trip that I wrote a letter, I not only got a letter back from NWA, but a quick email from the great Manila based F/A . Better than money for me, but I would gladly tip if it were allowed. I feel the crew are pro's and not bell hops or waiters. Someone on A.net talked a few Weeks ago about bringing thank you cards on board to hand out to the crew after the trip.

masseybrown

Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:34 pm

The curbside baggage handlers at DCA are real shake-down artists. They give you a very strong sense that your bag will never be seen again if a tip isn't forthcoming.

These people used to be airline employees and never asked for $$$; they also had advancement opportunities. These days it's a dead end job with some minimum-wage-paying service outfit, so maybe the tip is appropriate.

GQfluffy

Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:15 pm

Quoting Flyf15 (Reply 9):
tell that to anyone flying an RJ or a turboprop. There are lots of professional Part 121 airline pilots flying you and your family around making less than $20,000 per year.

I'm having a hard time believing this. As a ramper (about half of the year part-time as I went back to university), I made around $13,000 USD in 2005. You're telling me I came within $7,000 of a pilot?!?!?! That's ludicrous. I'm not sure what airlines some of these pilots are working for, but I know for a fact that little old GQ FOs make at least $25,000 their first year. And that's working for a very small (10 a/c in the fleet) regional airline.  eyebrow 
This isn't where I parked my car...

HAWK21M

Sat Jan 14, 2006 5:02 pm

Wouldn't it be taken as an insult when one is doing a Job.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Mack8994

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:45 pm

Quoting GVWOW (Reply 18):
I know from experience that a pleasant and efficient cabin crew can make the difference between a good flight and a bad flight.

I agree. However, I don't think a 'tip' is necessary. In a sense, it is their job... the difference is whether one chooses to perform the job at a minimum or go above and beyond. Of course, extra $$$ is always nice, but sometimes a simple 'Thank You' or 'Job Well Done' goes further.

If you had a great experience, let the employee's supervisor know or send a letter to the airline. You never know, maybe the employee will be recognized by the Company.
Courage is the power to let go of the familiar!

wukka

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:48 pm

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 8):
Never tip in bars or anywhere else. Yay!

Dang! No wonder I always get the initial look as if I had a third eye for the first two pints or so, and then I start getting all kinds of free pints and other shit.

I always tip my bartender, regardless of where I'm at.

I guess that's why the last time I came home from my most recent European vacation, I had a ceramic Guinness ashtray, a stack of 50 bar coasters, and a Guinness poster that the bartender actually pulled off of the wall of his pub because I commented that it was a great poster in my luggage. None of which was outright asked for, but basically shoved at me.

I thought that I understood the UK tipping system, but apparently I was way off.

That said, I'll keep going the way that I have been, because I've been given some really neat stuff out of gratitude that has memorable value to me.
We can agree to disagree.

motopolitico

Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:57 pm

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 8):
Tipping is almost unheard of in the UK except at restaurants, but even then it's usually a compulsory surcharge. Never tip in bars or anywhere else. Yay!

When I lived on your side of the pond, I watched in horror as visiting relatives tipped cabbies and publicans.
Garbage stinks; trash don't!

turnit56N

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:01 pm

Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 26):
As a ramper (about half of the year part-time as I went back to university), I made around $13,000 USD in 2005. You're telling me I came within $7,000 of a pilot?!?!?! That's ludicrous.

You came within about $5,000 of a pilot. First year FOs at many regionals make about $18,000 to $19,000. That's partly due to low first year wages, and partly due to being on reserve, where they don't fly as much as a line-holder. The size of airline has little to do with how well-paid the pilots are.
Aviation is not so much a profession as it is a disease.

tjr16698

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:02 pm

I'd guess that if tipping became the norm for aircrew, the result would be a freezing of the base salaries by the airlines for many years to allow for this.
In European countries, tipping generally isn't the norm, and the salaries, while not necessarily very high for many people, reflect this.
Rather than thinking about aircrew as bus drivers and bar staff, would you consider tipping a nurse or a teacher? Neither of them is exactly well paid, and are a more direct comparison in terms of training and professional level.
Next thing we'll be tipping surgeons to make sure they do a good job when we're under the knife...

cheers

Russ

BNinMSY

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:15 pm

While I do tend to get good service from AA, CO & WN - until airlines provide a more personalized level of service (and in First some do) - why would anyone tip!? NOw if they go out of the way to do somethign special or extra nice I will write a complimentary letter - about any employee / any where. Tip airline personnel .. typically NO.

letsgetwet

Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:37 pm

My wife and I enjoy non-rev privileges with our daughters' employer. We always bring something for the crew (a box of doughnuts , cookies etc.) it is always appreciated and brings a smile to their faces.

JohnKrist
Head Support

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:07 am

There are many pro's and con's with tipping.
Personally I wouldn't tip a/c crews as this isn't the norm.
Tipping is a pain at times, especially when paying by card and there isn't a tip field on the receipt. And I do dislike the system where the employer sets the salary with a calculation that the person will get "this and this" as a tip to make a decent monthly salary. On the other hand I can't get a refund if the service sucks and the service charge is included, not even if the waiter pours soup in my lap or is being rude. And what really annoys me is when the service charge is included, and they STILL expect a tip on the side. So my conclusion after all this ranting is that no option is satisfying to 100% so just do what the locals do and accept it  Smile

I think that the service charge IS included in the ticket price on airlines (though som tickets are 99 cents  Wink) but I have to admit there are some attendants that are so super service minded that they would deserve a tip!
5D Mark III, 7D, 17-40 F4 L, 70-200 F2.8 L IS II, Canon 50mm 1.4, Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART, Sigma 105mm 1.4 ART, EF 1.4x II, EF 2x III, SPEEDLITE 600EX-RT

pilotdude09

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:22 am

Have to admit its going to be weird tipping everyone when im over there, over here everyone earns a descent wage and those who dont get enough from the government
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

ua777222

Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:26 am

I was doing SFO-DEN-TEX-DEN-SFO and on my DEN-SFO leg there was a bit of weather that caused a bit of a back up (and a 777-222ER from a 763) so things got a bit cramped. As the 763 that I was to travel on was only a 2 class I was bumped down to C when it was switched to a 3 cabin aircraft. The agent at the RCC was kind enough to ensure that I made my seat in F and not C even on an upgrade.

On my way out I handed her a Bose CD Player ($50 value) that I had gotten with my QC2 headphones the same day. Funny how my 15k showed up back in my MP account...

Take care,

Matt
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

fbgdavidson

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting UA777222 (Reply 37):
On my way out I handed her a Bose CD Player ($50 value) that I had gotten with my QC2 headphones the same day. Funny how my 15k showed up back in my MP account...

That CD player is so bad I'm surprised she didn't deduct 15k miles from your MP account  Wink
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Indio66

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:31 am

I don't tip anyone, any where for any reason.

Signed,

Mr. Pink.

Slcpilot

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:47 am

Quoting Turnit56N (Reply 31):
Quoting GQfluffy (Reply 26):
As a ramper (about half of the year part-time as I went back to university), I made around $13,000 USD in 2005. You're telling me I came within $7,000 of a pilot?!?!?! That's ludicrous.

You came within about $5,000 of a pilot. First year FOs at many regionals make about $18,000 to $19,000. That's partly due to low first year wages, and partly due to being on reserve, where they don't fly as much as a line-holder. The size of airline has little to do with how well-paid the pilots are.

GQfluffy,

You have NO idea. Try almost two months of training without pay! I haven't worked out my net hourly pay since I've been with a respectable company, but for quite a while my average was well below minimum wage!

Don't get me wrong, when I was hired I was aware of the payscale, and I like my job, but for the time being it's a crime of passion, not one of $$$. Look around and learn a little bit about how much regional pilots make the first year, you'll be very suprised. There are many disgruntled pilots out there as a result. I am not one of them, but the trade is not what it used to be with respect to past pay, quality of life (for many carriers, not mine), and respect. For anyone considering such a career you have to do it because you like to.

Respectfully,

SP
I don't like to be fueled by anger, I don't like to be fooled by lust...

highguy76

Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:56 am

Quoting JAGflyer (Reply 5):
FAs are not liked servers. They do not usually come back to ask "how is it going?", "can I get you anything?"

I'm a 12 yr FA with CO, and while my company asks us not to accept tips, please know that the sentiment is appreciated. I feel I differ from a waiter in the fact that I make $50K/yr. depending on the hours I work, and waiters in the US make $2.50/hr. I think this is what makes tipping people in restaurants prevalent in our country. It has just carried over from there, and may have gotten a little out of hand.
It's taken me a while to get the hang of customs for tipping (or not) in other countries, and I hope I am not insulting anyone when I do it (or don't.)

When I'm offered a tip (as I often am) I first politely decline, but on the second insistence, I take the money so as not to offend. Then I'll use it to tip the driver that takes me to my hotel (pay it forward) or to enjoy a beer after the flight.

Because I take pride in my job and the service I offer, I will always come back to ask "how's it going" and "can I get you anything?" With over 200 pax on the plane, I might not get there right away, but I will get there, and the simple "Thanks" and "Great service" comments mean as much or more than any money offered.

Highguy

letsgetwet

Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:03 am

Quoting Indio66 (Reply 39):
I don't tip anyone, any where for any reason.

Signed,

Mr. Pink.

If I were you I would avoid eating in restaurants! (Your food is at the mercy of those that serve it)

Max Q

Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:23 am

Feel free to tip any time you like!
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

legacy135

Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:50 am

Tipping to a crew as you tip the service staff in a restaurant we normally only experience on flights, the F/A's have to ask money for certain services as for example headphones, alcoholic beverages etc. In this case it's quite common for passengers to say like "keep the change....".

What we do experience from time to time and I do not feel at all offended by (kindly disagreeing with Copenhagenboy in reply 23) is passengers offering something to the crew for special satisfaction. For passengers in First Class or on business jets it is very normal to receive a personal and special attention. We see here quite frequently several was of tipping. This can be, that the passenger asks to show a collection from the duty free sales. For example showing necklages the passenger may look for one for his wife and asks the advice of the stewardess. He will ask which one do you like. Finally he is going to have two of them, just to offer the one the stewardess recommended to herself, as a reward for the special service.
We also see passengers leaving a generous amount of money to offer the entire crew a dinner or some drinks. This can range to several hundered Dollars.

I myself received lately from a guest flying BRN to ATH a tip for me and the Copilot of 500 Euros. We did not feel offended at all. He was putting the money in an envelope which he left to me by leaving the aircraft. Inside I found a small note, expressing his sincere thanks and the money he offered for whatever we would like with.

I know some former SR employees who received carpets at their homes, sended by very satisfied Arab guests, just expressing their satisfaction.

I don't think, that someone has to be offended by a tip. It should not be an obligation for the passenger either to tip the crew. We do have our salaries and we are paid correctly. However, if someone feels that he would like to make a special offer to the crew, this guest should feel free to do it. It will be honored by the crew and makes both parts happy, the person offering it, as the person receiving it, as it is not a compulsory tip, muchmore a kind of a gift.

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

fxramper

Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:32 am

As stated above more, than once, the majority of the time, the cabin crew doesn't deserve a tip. It's becoming increasingly more and more rare to have that "great" experience when on board a flight.

I would never tip a pilot, but one feels sorta obligated to give a flight attendant something at the end of a 10+ hr flight if she took care of my non-reving butt.

Save the tips for waiters! I use to be one!  Smile

scalebuilder

Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:56 am

Quoting FXramper (Reply 45):
Save the tips for waiters! I use to be one!

Exactly right! Waiters don't make much of a base salary (if any at all), and tipping is what makes this a worth while way of living.

It is a nice thought to tip airline crew, but the industry does not depend on it for its employees to sustain life or making a living.
Go the extra mile......and avoid the traffic!!!

AR385

Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:27 am

Waiters are restaurants are tipped typically 15% of the meal price, for doing fairly little work.

You have absolutely NO IDEA, what it means to work as a good waiter. Your statement is plain ignorance.

If pilots are merely drivers and flight attendants merely servers, they should be treated as such and be tipped. I would much rather tip my flight crew $5 for getting me safely to my destination and enduring passengers, bad weather, etc than tip my waiter at dinner later that evening $15.

This is one of the most dumb-ass statements I've read in A.net. Drivers? Servers? What the f... is wrong with you?

Moving on. I do not like at all the tipping system in some European countries. You have no control over the service given to you in a restaurant because it is included in the bill. So, your waiter can treat you like crap (been there) and still, he knows he'll get 15%.

Quoting AJMIA (Reply 15):
However, when you tip at your own discretion you can make your opinion of the service you received VERY clear.

Totally agree.

When I am in a 3+ hour flight, I'll make sure that if I receive EXCEPTIONAL service in Y, I will get the name of the F/A and send a letter to the company. I usually get back a response from the Customer Service department telling me that the letter has been shared with that particular F/A supervisor, or department head, with the F/A present and that it has gotten into the F/A's file. I've done this countless times in CO. And others, of course.

I do the same in F, on 8+ hour flights, but it does take more than the expected or normal service for me to do it.

Quoting Legacy135 (Reply 44):
He will ask which one do you like. Finally he is going to have two of them, just to offer the one the stewardess recommended to herself, as a reward for the special service.

I find this a good idea and I have never tried it. However, I would feel pretty awkward doing it. Maybe it's cultural, but I have this nagging feeling I might offend the F/A, or give her wrong ideas about my plans when disembarking. Then again, if it is a male F/A, what do you get out of the duty free catalogue? A bottle of scotch for the guy? THEN wrong impressions would probably occurr.

In this day and age, with our PC lifestyle and harrasment lawsuits of any kind being a daily part of life, I stick to my letter of commendation writing as the best tip.

P.S.

It has never occured to me to tip the Flight deck crew. That I don't agree with.

edelag

Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:29 am

If you remember the movie called My Blue Heaven. They fly from San Diego to New York, on a DC-10 onboard AA. And this guy wants to tip the flight attendant and she said she wasn't allowed.
It's not just the destination, it's the journey.

MSYtristar

Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:40 am

Tipping F9 curbside check in agents in DEN is forbidden by the company. If the company sees the employees accepting even a dollar from passengers, they can and will get the boot. From my experience, lots of passengers tend to try to give curbside agents a dollar or two. I could have received well over $75 a day in tips when I worked at DIA but someone was always watching. Every company has a different policy on this I would assume.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos