Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

[email protected]
Topic Author

FR To Revolutionise European Air Travel (again)

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:14 pm

Well, it's been announced. I haven't even read it yet.

Oh, and Drinkstrolley - I think you'll find I said 3 of those 4 points.   So go jump - in the nicest possible way, I hasten to add.

---

RYANAIR TO REVOLUTIONISE EUROPEAN AIR TRAVEL

1) FARES REDUCED BY 9% (£2.50 OR €3.50) FROM 16TH MARCH '06

2) WEB CHECK-IN TO ELIMINATE CHECK-IN AND AIRPORT QUEUES

3) LUGGAGE ALLOWANCES INCREASED FROM 25KGS TO 30KGS

4) PASSENGERS ONLY PAY FOR THE BAGGAGE SERVICE THEY USE

Ryanair, Europe’s largest low fares airline today (Wednesday, 25 th January 2006) announced details of its next revolution in European low fare air travel. From the 16th March, Ryanair will introduce a number of key service improvements for all passengers including (1) all Ryanair’s fares will be reduced by 9% (£2.50 or €3.50), (2) all passengers travelling with hand luggage and in possession of an EU passport will be able to check-in on the web at www.ryanair.com and by-pass all check-in and airport queues, (3) these passengers will also be given priority boarding which will also eliminate boarding gate queues as well, (4) for bookings after 16th March, Ryanair is increasing each passenger’s luggage allowance from the current 25kgs to 30kgs (comprising 10kgs carry-on and 20kgs checked-in luggage) which will substantially reduce excess baggage fees and finally (5) all passengers travelling with checked in luggage who book after 16th March will now pay a fee of £2.50 (€3.50) per bag, per flight if booked in advance on the website, or £5.00 (€7.00) per bag, per flight if presented unbooked at the airport.

As a result of these changes, those 25% of Ryanair’s passengers who presently travel with just hand luggage will avail of lower fares, will avoid the inconvenience of check-in or boarding gate queues and will no longer cross subsidise those passengers travelling with checked in luggage. A further 50% of Ryanair’s current traffic (who travel with just one checked in bag) will see no change in their cost of travel, as the £2.50 ticket price reduction will fund their £2.50 baggage fee if booked on the internet. These passengers will enjoy much shorter queues at check-in thanks to the large numbers of people who will now switch to web check-in, thereby reducing the airport check-in queues. Lastly those passengers who presently travel with more than one checked in bag will see the cost of their travel rise by the £2.50 (€3.50) per bag for their second and subsequent bags. These passengers will also enjoy shorter check-in queues, and will be encouraged to travel with less checked in luggage which would then make these changes cost neutral for them as well.

This 9% “across the board” reduction in Ryanair’s ticket prices from 16th March will make these changes revenue neutral for Ryanair. The airline estimates that the reduction in ticket revenues and excess baggage fees will cost Ryanair more than £100m per annum. These lower fares will stimulate further traffic growth and increase the current (50%) price differential between Ryanair’s prices and the average ticket prices of our higher fare competitors such as Easyjet. We expect as a result of these measures, and in particular the attraction of web check-in and priority boarding that more and more of Ryanair’s customers will be incentivised to travel with hand luggage only and take advantage of Ryanair’s industry leading 10kgs of carry-on luggage.

The upside for Ryanair in these initiatives will be the opportunity to significantly reduce airport and handling costs. We believe that between 40% to 50% of passengers will quickly switch to our new web check-in/priority boarding service. This will allow Ryanair to reduce the number of check-in desks, baggage hall and other handling facilities we rent at major airports. It will significantly reduce the number of check-in and baggage handling staff required to handle individual flights, although the airline expects few reductions in staffing numbers in these areas, as existing numbers will be required to handle our rapid growth. Ryanair believes that its airport and handling costs will be reduced by over 10%, which equate to a saving of some €30m. This saving would equate to 10% of Ryanair’s current year forecast after tax profits.

Announcing these changes in London, Michael O’Leary, Ryanair’s Chief Executive said:

“Many sceptics have doubted whether Ryanair could drive its fares even lower. Well today we prove the doubters wrong. From 16th March next, Ryanair will reduce its fares by almost 10% across the board. Ryanair will also become the first low fares airline in Europe to make web check-in available for all our customers and we believe that this service will prove enormously attractive to passengers who wish to avoid those frustrating queues at airport check-in, at security, and at the boarding gate as well.

“These changes will also be welcomed by the overwhelming majority of our remaining passengers who will still be checking in one bag, as these passengers will enjoy lower air fares, but also shorter and faster moving queues at airport check-in. We have no doubt that this pioneering development for checked in bags is the way forward, as it will encourage and incentivise more passengers on short-haul journeys to travel with hand luggage only. Ryanair’s higher carry-on limit of 10kgs, and our new increased checked in allowance of 20kgs will largely eliminate excess baggage charges.

“These changes will enable Ryanair to reduce our airport and handling costs across the network. We will require fewer and less expensive airport facilities such as airport check-in and baggage hall facilities. We will carry fewer bags making our aircraft lighter and improving our fuel consumption. Our existing check-in and baggage handling personnel will now be able to accommodate significantly greater traffic numbers as we aim to double the size of the airline over the coming five years.

“Ryanair started the low fares revolution in Europe back in 1990. We have continued to pioneer changes in both the cost and practice of air travel over the past 15 years. Today’s announcement takes this revolution one step further. With a 9% reduction in Europe’s lowest air fares and the first web check-in facility for low fare passengers, we believe that up to half of Ryanair’s passengers will now be encouraged to avoid airport queues. Short-haul travel in Europe will never have been cheaper or more convenient than Ryanair will make it this year”.

[Edited 2006-01-25 12:26:43]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

gkirk

RE: Ryanair To Revolutionise European Air Travel

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:21 pm

So they are just copying what other airlines are already doing?
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

HT

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:22 pm

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 1):
So they are just copying what other airlines are already doing?

pls update me: Which airline is charging a fee per piece of checked luggage ?
-HT
Carpe diem ! Life is too short to waste your time ! Keep in mind, that today is the first day of the rest of your life !

UTA_flyinghigh

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:25 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 2):
pls update me: Which airline is charging a fee per piece of checked luggage ?

FlyBe Sad

UTA  checkeredflag 
Fly to live, live to fly - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum, BMI Diamond Club Gold, Emirates Skywards

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:25 pm

Quoting HT (Reply 2):
Which airline is charging a fee per piece of checked luggage ?

Only BE.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Thomas_Jaeger

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:26 pm

Flybe. has announced the same earlier this year.
Swiss aviation news junkie living all over the place

Simpilicity

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:29 pm

Wait until they get into long haul. All legacy carriers are surely stuffed !!!

If u have any shares in legacy carriers, sell them now, before they are worthless.

[email protected]
Topic Author

RE: FR To Revolutionise European Air Travel (again)

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:33 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 6):
Wait until they get into long haul.

They won't. I'll bet you £100. There's (almost) no point and it'd eradicate almost all, if not all, the advantages of low-cost, no-frills travel, while concurrently increasing its costs and making its operation far from simple and straightforward. What's more, there's plenty of room in Europe - hence why FR has said that it'll eventually operate 40 bases (it currently has 15) - especially as more-and-more countries join the EU.  

[Edited 2006-01-25 12:34:27]

Beaucaire

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:34 pm

It is rather an evolution then a revolution...
Spoke to the director of Nîmes airport this morning -the Ryanair flights have been cancelled today due to "unavailability of aircraft" - this has happened before ! Same is true for Montpellier and Carcassonne..
So before revolutionizing the Low Cost air-transport - deliver the flights you have sheduled !
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:35 pm

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 8):
Spoke to the director of Nîmes airport this morning -the Ryanair flights have been cancelled today due to "unavailability of aircraft" - this has happened before ! Same is true for Montpellier and Carcassonne..
So before revolutionizing the Low Cost air-transport - deliver the flights you have sheduled !

We know about that - 600 flights cancelled this winter because of the alledged problem regarding aircraft delivery. That equates to an average - based on 3 months and 30 days in each month - of 6.66 flights per day (666! LOL). If you count winter as longer, then obviously that'll mean fewer cancelled flights per day.

[Edited 2006-01-25 12:46:59]

skidmarks

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:37 pm

If u have any shares in legacy carriers, sell them now, before they are worthless.

Dream on - they'll not go into long-haul under their present guise.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

jush

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:44 pm

I always hated check-in. I found it a nuisance all the way and I always thought there must be a better way. I'll hope I can try their web check-in soon cause I reckon it is a marvellous idea and it will soon be established with other airlines as well.

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

aussiestu

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:44 pm

Great news for regular and perhaps new customers to Ryanair.

While there are still those of us (myself included) who are staying with the legacy carriers certainly for the foreseeable future its reports by Beaucaire that this carrier has again cancelled flights due to unavailability of aircraft that makes all this talk from Michael unattractive.

By all means lower your fares but provide the flights and services that people are paying for.

The lower fares will certainly boost travel to those who may not fly.

eric

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:46 pm

Seeing the other post is slowly dying out and this actually deals with the announcement, I will post my reply in this thread.

From previous thread

I guess they will now start weighing peoples hand luggage when going through security to make sure people don't bring onboard any more than 10kgs. And then, "I'm sorry Sir, but you will have check that bag in, its weight is 11kg. Our rules clearly state that any carry-on cannot exceed 10kg. That will be £5 for not having registered it."

To put it this way, it is Ryanair, nothing is free. They would not being doing it if they could not be making money off it. Of course, you can argue that the savings of people checking in themself will off-set that but somehow I don't think that will be the case.

Eric
n

kiwiandrew

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:47 pm

Wait until they get into long haul

that would be fun .. a plane full of people travelling from SYD-LHR all fighting to stuff all their wordly belongings into the overhead lockers  Wink

olympicbis

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:54 pm

Well said and so true. Or maybe this is the way they revolutionize the low Cost Air transport... Anyway I think that they sure already have their place in the Guiness book for the category of number of flights cancelledy vs nr of scheduled flights in 2005.

Really, does Ryanair have the balls or expertise to take on SQ, EK, BA, QF, AF, LH,etc on long-haul ? I really wish they would try it as it would certainly help getting rid of Ryanair.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:54 pm

Quoting Eric (Reply 13):
I guess they will now start weighing peoples hand luggage when going through security to make sure people don't bring onboard any more than 10kgs. And then, "I'm sorry Sir, but you will have check that bag in, its weight is 11kg. Our rules clearly state that any carry-on cannot exceed 10kg. That will be £5 for not having registered it."

If it exceeds it, then what's the problem? Everyone will know 10kg is the limit. Sure, if it was 1 or 2 ounces over and it was irregular, then discretion is fine and the best thing to do (or else you'll cause shit for no real reason). But if it was 1kg over and everyone had an extra 1kg, then that'd be 189kgs per full flight. I think it'd be best to judge it there-and-then; for instance, if it was extremely busy, you probably wouldn't want to haggle over half a kg (unless a lot of people were over). However, it's best, in theory, to have a level and stick to it.

As Joost, a very knowledgeable and unbiased chap, said, based on his own experience and the experience of his family, FR aren't always as strict regarding allowances as people (including myself) thought.

So, deal with it in a commonsensical, logical and rational manner.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:59 pm

Quoting Olympicbis (Reply 15):
I really wish they would try it as it would certainly help getting rid of Ryanair.

I never understand that sort of statement. Firstly, who is making you fly FR or, indeed, any airline? Secondly, are you against consumer choice? Thirdly, are you against competition? Fourthly, are you pro-cartel? You have a choice about which airline you fly - which is great. Think of those people in certain countries who have no choice at all, so must accept one standard and one price. If you wish to fly BA, BD, EK, KL, whoever (as I normally do), then fine. If you wish to fly FR, U2, WN, B6, whoever (as I do), then fine. Best for all.

manni

RE: FR To Revolutionise European Air Travel (again

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:00 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Thread starter):
1) FARES REDUCED BY 9% (�2.50 OR �3.50) FROM 16TH MARCH '06

2) WEB CHECK-IN TO ELIMINATE CHECK-IN AND AIRPORT QUEUES

3) LUGGAGE ALLOWANCES INCREASED FROM 25KGS TO 30KGS

4) PASSENGERS ONLY PAY FOR THE BAGGAGE SERVICE THEY USE

Revolutionary? Not at all, just a cheap PR shot.

Luggage allowance to increase from 25 to 30 Kgs. That's including carry on. In reality, Ryanair finnaly increases it's 15 KG allowed to check in, to 20 KG. Just about every other scheduled carrier has always allowed 20 KG.

Fares reduced by 9% or �2.50
What a bargain.  Yeah sure

In reality if you'd purchase a ticket for �20 without taxes, the discount would be �1.80 That's if you travel without check in bags. If you travel with one bag, your fare increases with �0.70 (apparently a significant amount of money for the average FR passenger, seeing how FR celebrates a £2.5 reduction), that's if you were aware that you had to book your bag online. Otherwise your fare goes up �1.70 Obviously if you travel with more than one bag, or a bag and a stroller, a bag and some golfclubs etc. your fare will increase even more.

Looks like FR will benefit more of al this than their pasenger, unlike what they want you to believe.

Web check in? Might be revolutionary for FR, but for the real world, it's old news.

no  Nice try FR, but this passenger will continue to enjoy flying on real airlines. I'll take frills without fuzz, rather than no frills with a lot of fuzz.

whitehatter

RE: FR To Revolutionise European Air Travel (again

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:06 pm

Well said and so true. Or maybe this is the way they revolutionize the low Cost Air transport... Anyway I think that they sure already have their place in the Guiness book for the category of number of flights cancelledy vs nr of scheduled flights in 2005.

The Boeing strike had a lot to do with it, if the stories are correct. Delays in 737 deliveries impacted on schedules which were already tight.

Really, does Ryanair have the balls or expertise to take on SQ, EK, BA, QF, AF, LH,etc on long-haul ? I really wish they would try it as it would certainly help getting rid of Ryanair.

amazing how many people want to see Ryanair fail. Shame it won't happen.

O'Leary is a genius, much more so than the likes of Branscum who is rooted in the past and vulnerable. Provide a seat and nothing more, everything else is extra, and that seat is as cheap as Ryanair can make it. And you somehow think that is bad?

Ryanair has one unique angle. They have GENERATED business as well as taking it from the legacies. That business has been generated PRECISELY because they offer absolutely nothing free apart from the seat, just like a flying bus ride. New business has come to them from people who previously would not have flown, or from passengers who fly more than they would otherwise. Buying just the seat and nothing else appeals to the cost conscious traveller and the traveller who begrudges paying for the aggregate of everyone elses meals and baggage when they just want that seat.

That's why Ryanair is so successful, they offer nothing apart from the seat. Even more so than other lowcosts. The traveller who wants to customise their flying experience is totally at liberty to arrange what they want rather than have it included and therefore part of the price. It is no different to the discounters in retailing like Aldi and Lidl, who do not go out to have fancy stores or major brand names on the shelves. And look how hugely successful they have been. Sell a basic product with no fancy packaging or expensive stores to pay for and the customers will flock to you.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

richardw

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:11 pm

If you have to print your boarding card after web check in, I can see some people turning up with badly printed, or illegible cards and having to get FR to print one at the airport and FR introducing a charge.

Joost

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:16 pm

About a year ago, O'Leary told that he studied giving cash-back at the counters for people traveling without checked luggage.

Apparantly the logistic costs of this were reasonably higher, but it would eliminate the problem Eric just sketched. I can see people getting into arguments when they have to pay for a bag that is 10.1 kg. But if travelling without checked luggage is considered as a bonus, I don't see people arguing so fast. I think it is less likely hearing somebody say "oh my bag is 10.1 but can you still give me the bonus?" than "my bag is only 10.1, you won't charge me more, will you?".

I also think that cash-back bonusses at check-in would increase on-airport sales pretty much, by spending the euros on coffee and cake. Well, it didn't work like that.

Quoting Manni (Reply 18):
Nice try FR, but this passenger will continue to enjoy flying on real airlines. I'll take frills without fuzz, rather than no frills with a lot of fuzz.

Well, results in Europe show that people have no problems at all to accept the Ryanair conditions, as long the price is right. In many cases, fare differences are that large that people will keep flying them. I've only flown them once yet (from where I live - the eastern parts of the Netherlands, so EIN and NRN are options - their number of destinations is rather limited) but I was very pleasently surprised. Using NRN instead of AMS was a relief (from airplane to car in 15 minutes), flights were on-time. On-board comfort not great, but we payed EUR 135 for 2 tickets. The next-cheapest option, Virgin Express (still operated AMS-FCO at the time) was about EUR 300 for 2, KLM charged 400 euro. My brother and I had great fun spending the money we saved - and again, Ryanairs results prove that we're not the only ones.

whitehatter

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:17 pm

Quoting Richardw (Reply 20):
If you have to print your boarding card after web check in, I can see some people turning up with badly printed, or illegible cards and having to get FR to print one at the airport and FR introducing a charge.

British Airways have never had much of a problem with it. As long as the barcode is legible that's all that matters.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

richardw

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:21 pm

I think more BA passengers might have access to a laser printer than FR passengers.

eric

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:22 pm

[email protected], I admire how the rationale behind your arguements are always, don't like it, don't fly it.

Granted, 10kg is the rule, so 10kg is the rule. But by that logic, why should I pay for someone who weigh's more than me? Where is then the rationale if you are viewing total baggage allowance?

But, Ryanair's success stems largely from the fact that they fill a market which is not existing. It is very seldom you will see Ryanair as the second mover as opposed to first mover. For me, the choice to fly Ryanair back and forth to uni is not done voluntarity but largely because Ryanair is the only airline that come somewhat close to fly how where I need to go. So, whereas you may have and option maybe you [email protected], should reconsider that not everyone flies Ryanair out their own free will (okay, I could sit in my house all day).

Furthermore, just because Joost's family has been lucky and not paid for excess weight I know several people who have had their bags weighed and forced to pay for 1 kg excess only to be told they are lucky they are not to be charged for that extra 0,5kg on top of that.

Furthermore, before calling the pot black maybe you should reconsider stating that others are illogical and irrational.

Eric (who'd must rather see people having to pay for their extra chin rather than their extra luggage  Wink)
n

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:23 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 21):
My brother and I had great fun spending the money we saved

Exactly. Nowadays, people are realising that flying need only be another form of transportation. With the huge amount of money you saved on your tickets, you could stay in a much better hotel, or take another trip, or go to the best restaurant, or simply save it for a rainy day.  Smile Those are the things which will make a trip most memorable for a lot of people.

BNE

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:27 pm

Ryanair have made airline travel cheap for everyone.

If it saves money then why not; cheaper tickets for those that don't need to see an agent to check in and who don't carry luggage.
Why fly non stop when you can connect

bennett123

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:27 pm

[email protected]

We know about that - 600 flights cancelled this winter because of the alledged problem regarding aircraft delivery. That equates to an average - based on 3 months and 30 days in each month - of 6.66 flights per day (666! LOL). If you count winter as longer, then obviously that'll mean fewer cancelled flights per day.

Clearly this can happen with any airline. However, it is not amusing to the customers involved.

If this means a delay of a couple of hours, then customers will probably live it.
If it means sleeping on the airport floor overnight, or paying for a room at a local hotel then it will have a bigger impact. A cheaper ticket is fine, but if it means sleeping on the floor, no way.

Perhaps you could tell us what FR did to warn passengers, both before they got to the airport or when they arrived. At the end of the day aircraft is an airline problem not a passenger problem.

gkirk

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:29 pm

People that are calling for Ryanair to go away are being pretty stupid.
Pretty soon, Ryanair may well be the largest airline in Europe.
People work there and I understand that their pilots are amongst the best paid in Europe (even if they allegedly do get treated like crap).
The only place Ryanair will be going is up.

Although, I will still continue to mock them about their non reclinable seats etc  Wink
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:34 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 27):
it is not amusing to the customers involved.

Of course it's not.

I would hope that FR informed its customers by phone or email as early as possible and offered them the option of a transfer onto the next available flight, or a full refund, or a transfer onto another flight to another destination (for the same price or thereabouts).

Wouldn't it be great if train or coach firms were as accountable? I have had numerous cancelled train trips- and tickets booked online (they had my contact details).

It's only if you deal with a problem ungenerously or unkindly that further problems will materialise.

As I have said numerous times hitherto, I will happily criticise FR for certain aspects of its operation, one of which being its relationships with its all-important stakeholders, particularly two of them. It really need not cost much and the rewards would far outweigh the costs.

jush

Why does one need frills on a maximum 2 hours flight anyway. I've not flown with Ryanair but with easyjet and i think LCC's at least to travel in Europe are great.

--------------

Ryanair isn't going longhaul ever.
There is this picture in my mind where people taking enourmous carry on luggage just to get the food and drinks with them to just to nourish themselves on the FR flight from STN - SYD  Wink

Regds
jush
There is one problem with airbus. Though their products are engineering marvels they lack passion, completely.

Joost

Quoting Richardw (Reply 23):
I think more BA passengers might have access to a laser printer than FR passengers.

Hey, we live in 2006 now. Doesn't anybody who has a PC with internet at home have a 50-Euro HP Deskjet? And the people who don't have a PC with internet at home book while at work, and have access to good printer.

I think the idea that people who fly Ryanair have matrix printers is great for a laugh, nothing more.

Orion737

MOL makes out to the public and press that he is an innovator in the airline industry. He wasnt the first man to bring cheap travel to the masses, charter carriers and Freddie Lakers operation were doing it when OLeary was in short trousers.

Just like today, he announces his new baggage policy as though it were his invesntion when FlyBe have been operating much the same system for some time.

garpd

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:36 pm

I knew it was gonna be something like this.

Revolution.... just a PR word today.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

Orion737

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:39 pm

yes and if there is one thing MOL is good at, its courting publicity. I know much of his attitude and talk is bravado and hype but that man makes my flesh crawl when I see or hear him on the news of whatever. He has a most unfortunate turn of phrase.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:41 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 32):
he announces his new baggage policy as though it were his invesntion when FlyBe have been operating much the same system for some time.

BE probably carries fewer than 5 million passengers a year. FR currently carries just under 34 million (projected to rise to over 75 million). Clearly, it's on a much greater scale than BE's - and so would revolutionise it for far more people throughout Europe. However, you're right: it wasn't the first to introduce it (I actually believe PEOPLExpress or some other American airline charged for checked-in luggage years ago). Nevertheless, the amount of attention it'll bring will probably overshadow the fact that BE first introduced it in modern times.

Joost

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:43 pm

A cheaper ticket is fine, but if it means sleeping on the floor, no way.

Ryanair does very clearly offer Travel Insurance throughout the booking process. In the T&Cs that you get e-mailed it is also noticed that you need your own insurance for that.

When travelling a legacy carrier, they have an insurance for this cases. (hotel costs, etc). The price for this is included in the ticket price. However, I for instance, and many other frequent travelers, have a continuous travel insurance. When flying FR, I choose not to take insurance - I already have that and pay for it to my insurance company. When flying KL, I do not have a choice than to be "double-insured", paying twice what I need!

Also, a large part of FR passengers are VFR traffic or second home-owners. When you have your own house close to one airport, and your second house, or the house of your friends/family next to the other airport, you would not sleep on the floor anyway - you would drive back home to sleep in your own bed, or call your family to pick you up again as you'll be staying one more night. When you'd be flying a legacy, you'd already have "paid" for hotels - whilst you wouldn't use it after all!

Orion737

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:49 pm

Well his views and opinions and the way he treats and talks about people, fellow human beings, is harldy indicative of a Christian, charitable man with high moral values.

The same man who showed disregard for disabled people and talked of possibly in troducing pornography on aircraft.

He must frequent the Confessional box more often than he does Fleet Street!

RJ100

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:53 pm

You guys can say what you want. Ryanair's strategy is brilliant. They have revolutionized air travel and they are continuing to be innovative. This is what you need in this business.

And they once again show how you best keep your customers: With continuing low fares. No "boomerang club" necessary Big grin

Cheers
none

bennett123

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:54 pm

The difference is that you travel a greater distance by air.

Also that due to the number of daily flights to the smaller destinations
that a cancellation is likely to lead to an overnight stop.

Also there is less problem if you are retired with a second home. If you are employed and hence have restrictions on your time away from the office or are planning to stay in a hotel when you arrive, then an extra night in the UK is a bigger issue.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:55 pm

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 38):
Well his views and opinions and the way he treats and talks about people, fellow human beings, is harldy indicative of a Christian, charitable man with high moral values.

It's BUSINESS. Don't you understand? A person who is all prim-and-proper won't get any attention at all, so his/her quest for a 'face' or 'personality' for the airline probably won't succeed - Branson is often regarded as being phoney, Stelios as being something similar. Look at how 'unusual' Herb was with WN - and how successful he was. Moreover, it's just his form of leadership - and it works, which is why when he's not there his employees feel as though they are somewhat lost . FR is a top-down driven firm. I am not necessarily saying there's not a better alternative, but it works very well indeed.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:57 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 40):
The difference is that you travel a greater distance by air.

What if I brought a straight-through train ticket from Moscow to Vladivostok? It'd take 6 days. If I provided by contact details I still won't be told.  Smile But, of course, you'd be travelling a greater distance by air.  Wink

StarGoldLHR

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:00 pm

Still doesnt get away from the Ryanroulette....

"Sorry sir your flight is canceled, I am please to say we will give the refund of 1p for the price of your ticket as long as you apply within 14 days. You are now free to make your own arrangements to get home this evening, good bye, please make way for the other 188 passengers behind you who also want there penny back."
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

LJ

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:03 pm

If this means a delay of a couple of hours, then customers will probably live it.
If it means sleeping on the airport floor overnight, or paying for a room at a local hotel then it will have a bigger impact. A cheaper ticket is fine, but if it means sleeping on the floor, no way.

Thank God that the new EU laws for airline pax are in force (allthough I doubt Ryanair abides by them). Or does Ryanair claim "circumstances beyond their control"?

Orion737

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:03 pm

I agree he is a very good businessman. However, my point was, if as you claim, he is a charitable Christian with high morals how is this compatible with the way he speaks about people, treats people and his various other comments, things like introducing pay for view pornography and all the rest?

Being a Christian is not something you stop at work, thats not how it works. Just because Oleary may attend mass on a regular basis doesnt make his actions in business any the more acceptable, in my opnion.

A Christian man might think before he opens his mouth and cause offence ti many of the vulnerable in society (eg the disabled)

bennett123

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:04 pm

MOL introducing services to Vladivostok now?.

I will think about FR if they ever fly there.

Personally, when I fly I find it re assuring to know that I will be flying. I would prefer to pay the full price and know that I will be flying and save money and join a lottery.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:11 pm

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 46):
Personally, when I fly I find it re assuring to know that I will be flying. I would prefer to pay the full price and know that I will be flying and save money and join a lottery.

That's great. I truly mean that. I am all for choice - you can fly X, someone else can fly Y. Everyone can choose one which suits their needs more.

Quoting Bennett123 (Reply 46):
MOL introducing services to Vladivostok now?.

You said you can't compare trains to flights because of the distance involved. So, I submitted a nice example of one of the longest, probably the longest, continual train service in the world. Several thousand miles. 6 days in duration. It'd take 9 hours to fly. So, then, why wouldn't I get told if it was cancelled? Why wouldn't I get a hotel room or food or whatever? Nope, no smoking here. I wouldn't get didly squat.

I wish all train firms and coach firms would be as equally accountable.

iluv747400

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:13 pm

Quoting [email protected] (Thread starter):
(2) all passengers travelling with hand luggage and in possession of an EU passport will be able to check-in on the web

Why do they have to discriminate against non-Europeans? All of us non-Europeans will have to be stuck in middle seats. I may reconsider Ryanair...

richardw

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:13 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 31):
I think the idea that people who fly Ryanair have matrix printers is great for a laugh, nothing more.

I didn't say that. I merely suggested that there might be problems with some ineligible print outs.

Many people have ink jet printers that they have given up on because of dry ups and yes many people will do a print out at work. There might be a small charge at the airport for FR to print a boarding card if you turn up with an illegible print out.

BCAL

Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:15 pm

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 19):

Well said, WhiteHatter.

Quoting WhiteHatter (Reply 19):
O'Leary is a genius, much more so than the likes of Branscum who is rooted in the past and vulnerable

checkmark   checkmark   checkmark   checkmark 

MOL makes out to the public and press that he is an innovator in the airline industry

Sorry but I do not agree. MOL makes out to the public that the legacy airlines and companies like BAA rip off the public, and Ryanair is an alternative not an innovative airline. AFAIK he never claims to be an innovator (like Branscum). In fact I can recall MOL giving full credit to Southwest for some of their ideas that he implemented with FR.

charter carriers and Freddie Lakers operation were doing it when OLeary was in short trousers.

I think that you will find the true innovators of low cost airfares were Trippe in the USA, Ward in Canada and Thompson in the UK, all of who were around before Laker and the latter two were the innovators of the charter concept. Sir Freddie simply took the charter concept a stage further.

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 34):
I know much of his attitude and talk is bravado and hype but that man makes my flesh crawl when I see or hear him on the news of whatever

Do I detect a hint of jealousy of his success and wealth there? Love him or hate him, MOL is a genius or how else would he turn round a failing Irish airline into a major LCC that carried more passengers than BA during the summer months. Just think if ten years ago you posted a thread on this very site and said 'this failing Irish airline with a handful of aircraft will turn into Europe's largest LCC carrying more passengers than BA by 2005', you would have been laughed off a.net.
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos