Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BigGSFO
Topic Author

USA Today: Iran Seeks Air Service To USA

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:09 am

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/2006-01-26-tehran-us_x.htm

Poltics aside, the president of Iran is seeking direct airline service between THR and the USA.

CHRISBA777ER

RE: USA Today: Iran Seeks Air Service To USA

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:13 am

Well it wont be direct as they dont have anything that can do THR - US non-stop.

Via Hamburg would work.

I'm sure when it is brought up that IR will be more than happy to stump up for a few 773ERs if Boeing were allowed to sell to them.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

ConcordeBoy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:26 am

Quoting CHRISBA777ER (Reply 1):
Well it wont be direct as they dont have anything that can do THR - US non-stop.

This statement makes no sense... they don't need a nonstop-capable aircraft for a direct flight.

Not like it matters though:
with the current administrations in place, they may as well be seeking direct service to Pluto  Yeah sure

...must be a slow news day at the AP
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

CO7e7

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:32 am

Do you think the US gov't will allow it ??

I honestly doubt it. But what do you guys think ?

BigGSFO
Topic Author

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:37 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 4):

Not with Cowboy Tex in the saddle. He is fussy about Iran now that they are interested in nuclear technology again. But we shall see.

jacobin777

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 4):

politics aside, I don't think it will happen either...but you know what, it would be nice....travel and transportation has been very inflencial throught history.....and it would be very cool to see IR @ SFO......especially a 777-200LR... biggrin 
"Up the Irons!"

Curious

Fri Jan 27, 2006 1:55 am

The President of Iran says alot things which people should not give the time and energy to. Including this suggestion of Direct Flights.

FlySSC

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:23 am

They do.
Iran Air stil has 1 B747SP active (EP-IAD). The "SP" can fly THR-JFK without any restriction. Actually it was already used on that route before 1980.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Allen Yao

EP-IAD came to New York last Septembre, to bring the Iranian President to the U.N.

THR-JFK = 9867km / 6131mi / 5328nm

[Edited 2006-01-26 18:25:04]

Rookinla

Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:35 am

Yeah...this one probably won't happen for a while. But if it did you would have to say JFK and LAX are the most likely candidates. The O&D between THR and LAX must be able to support at least 1 weekly flight! Going out on a limb here but...you don't think that this might have something to do with obtaining spare parts for their Boeing aircraft do you? New flights=Goodwill=Lesser Sanctions=Aircraft Parts...Just a thought...

eta unknown

Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:06 am

Maybe a return to the good old days, pre restrictions:

JFK-LHR-THR via 747-200
JFK-THR via 747SP

Routing depended on day of week (used the Pan Am terminal at JFK).

thomasphoto60

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:17 am

Given the current political situation between the two countries, I find that even discussing such a service odd to say the least.

On a somewhat similar note, some months back, I spoke to a long time Houston resident and ex-PA employee based at IAH from the 70s until PA's demise in the early 90s. Anyway, he swears that IR had signed a contract with PA for ground handling operations at IAH. IR had supposedly been approved for IAH via JFK. Of course this was before the revolution. Just curious if anyone else knew about this or if this was even true?

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

DCAYOW

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:48 am

Considering we don't even have diplomatic relations with the Islamic Republic - it would be hard to renew or re-activate our bilateral agreement. That being said the old agreement (1973) only permits Iranian carriers to operate to NYC and LAX.

NYC and LAX routes are permissible via: Lebanon, Turkey, Israel (!), Egypt, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, FRG, France, Morocco, Portugal and UK.
Retorne ao céu...

FLYACYYZ

Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:48 am

If the US has qualms about an airline like MEA gracing the skies over North America (that would be the US as well as Canada), from a country and political climate which is relatively stable--do you honestly think that Iran Air has a hope in hell??

Given the latest round of rhetoric...not a chance.
Above and Beyond

as739x

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:01 am

Rookinla: Your saying this could be a way to get parts for its planes? huh? All this trouble, I don't think so. Iran can get all the part it would ever want from other countries. China, Russia, etc.

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

cedarjet

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:04 am

Quoting DCAYOW (Reply 11):
NYC and LAX routes are permissible via: Lebanon, Turkey, Israel (!)...

Iran and Israel had excellent relations in the old days. Remember that Iran is not an Arab nation and under the Shah it really took the US line on Israel v Palestine. Only after the revolution did it take a more pro-Palestinian, anti-Israel path more suited to an Islamic nation. Although even then, in the arms-for-hostages scandal during Reagan's watch in the 80s, the nation that actually shipped the arms to Iran was, wait for it, Israel, with direct flights from Tel Aviv to Tehran (operated by DC8s, fact fans, although I am unable to name the airline).

Quoting Thomasphoto60 (Reply 10):
IR had supposedly been approved for IAH via JFK. Of course this was before the revolution. Just curious if anyone else knew about this or if this was even true?

I'm sure it was true, large Iranian population in Houston, although that may be as a result of the revolution, rather than a demographic that preceded it. Of course Iran was interfered with so badly by the Yanks cos of it's oil and gas, and Houston is of course in Texas, need I say more.

Some great memories, daily Iranair service at JFK with SPs in the 70s:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank J. Mirande
View Large View Medium

Photo © Ken Rose

And these were the days, my friends - Pan Am Worldport, JFK, 1976:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Ken Rose

fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Okie

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:09 am

1. You never know until you ask.

2. Could be just a political ploy using Iran Air as a pawn.

3. I am not sure that Iran Air would pass muster with FAA.

Okie

atmx2000

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:10 am

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 14):
Of course Iran was interfered with so badly by the Yanks cos of it's oil and gas, and Houston is of course in Texas, need I say more.

You would be ignoring the UK's very key role in that, as well as the UK's and USSR's role in forcing out the Axis/Nazi leaning Shah during WWII.
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

Trvlr

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:27 am

Political considerations really are the only issue, and you never know what can happen these days--changes in government can happen in the blink of an eye.

Like Cuba, the market is there. I'd expect JFK and LAX (especially LAX) at the very least if this ever came to pass.

Aaron G.

cedarjet

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 16):
You would be ignoring the UK's very key role in that

Ah yes indeed, the British should be very ashamed of their role in overthrowing old whatisname and installing the Shah. Thankfully we don't have the kind of global reach to do that kind of monkeying around any more. The whole episode was a disgrace and the outcome, in 1979, was always inevitable. Such short-sighted idiots calling the shots. That clearly never changes, whoever the great power of the day is.
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

IceTitan447

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:33 am

Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 3):

No way! They wouldn't get approved.

Quoting BigGSFO (Reply 4):
Quoting CO7e7 (Reply 4):

Not with Cowboy Tex in the saddle. He is fussy about Iran now that they are interested in nuclear technology again. But we shall see

Cowboy Tex? You showed your other side! How quickly we forget what's important.

ac7e7

Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:40 am

They are doing this just to piss off the U.S.

And maybe trying to increase the paperwork and bureaucratic bottlenecks in the system.

magyar

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:16 am

The US should allow it to happen, of course, with heightened
security checks for the pax. The more connections the
Iranian people have with he World the less chance the mullahs have to stay in power. That is what the neoidiots
of the Cato Institution cannot get, saber-rattling just make
fundamentalist stronger (of course assuming that their goal
is not helping other fundamentalist).

PanAm747

Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:30 am

I have known quite a few Iranians/Persians (all extraordinarily friendly) here in the United States, and while getting to Iran from LAX involves details, Iran Air flights would still involve transitting a foreign country. Since that is the case, most of them are quite happy earning their miles on European airlines.

Quote:
Iran and Israel had excellent relations in the old days. Remember that Iran is not an Arab nation and under the Shah it really took the US line on Israel v Palestine. Only after the revolution did it take a more pro-Palestinian, anti-Israel path more suited to an Islamic nation.

Very sad. Having a religion defined by its hatreds, not its accomplishments.

Quote:
NYC and LAX routes are permissible via: Lebanon, Turkey, Israel (!), Egypt, Italy, Switzerland, Austria, FRG, France, Morocco, Portugal and UK.

Pan Am used to operate part of its round-the-world flight via Beirut and Tehran. Wouldn't really be possible today...  worried  I long for the day when American carriers can operate in the Middle East to both Israel and the Arab world (and vice-versa!) without fears of recrimination.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

tzadik

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:02 am

getting to iran via lufthansa or alitalia works just fine... no need to let iran air in this country....

seems fishy... with in the last few months Ahmadinejad has banned all western music/art from iran and named the US as the reason for the plane crash in decemeber... nothing positive... why now would he want his flag carrier rolling into JFK? I highly doubt he'd let American Airlines roll into Tehran flyin' old glory on her fuselage.

[Edited 2006-01-27 00:09:20]

atmx2000

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:12 am

Quoting Tzadik (Reply 23):
seems fishy... with in the last few months Ahmadinejad has banned all western music/art from iran and named the US as the reason for the plane crash in decemeber... nothing positive... why now would he want his flag carrier rolling into JFK? I highly doubt he'd let American Airlines roll into Tehran flyin' old glory on her fuselage.

Well, if he wants air service to the US, best not be photographed admiring this lovely piece of artwork.

wjcandee

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:30 am

I personally feel like this presents very serious security questions. The potential for the flight to be used as a Trojan horse is a real concern.

DTWAGENT

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:37 am

That is all we need to have flying into the country. I hope they keep them out. Iran is not that stable, and anyone could come into this country from their and do god knows what........ Sorry No to Iran Air flying here.

hmmmm...

Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:47 am

If this application is true, it serves only one purpose. To bring a nuclear bomb into the US. The Iranian president is on record as saying:

"Iran finds a world without America both possible and feasible"

His chief foreign policy advisor, Hasan ABbasi, also made this statement:

"We have a strategy drawn up for the destruction of Anglo-Saxon civilization."

Doesn't sound like they are interested in any airline trade.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

rolfen

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting FLYACYYZ (Reply 12):
If the US has qualms about an airline like MEA gracing the skies over North America (that would be the US as well as Canada), from a country and political climate which is relatively stable

Maybe their qualms have something to do with the apparent weakness of lebanese police in fighthing terrorsim, we have had like a dozen of bomb attack lately and they still do not seem to have caught the criminals.

[Edited 2006-01-27 01:12:21]
rolf

ER757

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:18 am

Quoting Trvlr (Reply 17):
--changes in government can happen in the blink of an eye.

That's what it would take for Iran Air to start flying to the USA again. With the current regimes in place in both countries there is no chance of this service happening.

LAXintl

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:23 am

Quoting Rookinla (Reply 8):
The O&D between THR and LAX must be able to support at least 1 weekly flight!

I'd say LAX-THR could probably support a daily flight!
On a daily basis there is well over one hundred folks that make their way via European airlines to Iran.

I dont have access to an O&D database as I am out of town, however I would also say the establishment of a direct link would further increase the traffic due to the convenience factor, by being able to avoid some roundabout routings and multiple tickets people sometimes have to purchase to get reasonable deals and which are not even counted in todays O&D stats.

On a side note, same goes from JFK with quite a bit of Iran traffic flowing via European airlines. As a side note one of Emirates top beyond DXB connections off the JFK flight is Iran.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

ckfred

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:35 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's basically impossible for a country, such as Iran, to get approval for air service to a country with whom it has no diplomatic relations.

Further, going to Iran is about as difficult as going to Cuba. I think U.S. citizens are prohibited from visiting Iran, except in limited circumstances.

This tells you that the people running Iran have no concept of how foreign relations work.

N766UA

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:40 am

The way things are going with Iran now the only direct service we're likely to see will be served with B-2s.....

atmx2000

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 33):
Further, going to Iran is about as difficult as going to Cuba. I think U.S. citizens are prohibited from visiting Iran, except in limited circumstances.

No, that isn't the case. Otherwise, Jeff Spicoli (aka Sean Penn) wouldn't have been able to spend so much quality time there last year.

To the best of my knowledge there are no serious restrictions on people traveling between the US and Iran.

remford

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:44 am

Perhaps as part of continuing round-the-world service through the U.S. via Havana and P'yongyang?

This is nothing more than geopolitical grandstanding by some wahoo who is simply looking for any pretense by which it could ultimately be seen as the U.S. denying an Iranian request, no matter what it was for. Perhaps requests for unsupervised Iranian Military tours of Langley and the Pentagon will be forthcoming as well?

jetdeltamsy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:48 am

Air routes are one of the most political business propositions there are.

It will never happen as long as the republicans are in office.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

KL808

Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:58 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 33):
This tells you that the people running Iran have no concept of how foreign relations work.

Im sorry to say, but this is kind of dumb. Iran has relations with almost every nation in the world, only a handful of nations don't have embassies in Tehran and that would be the US and Israel.

Sometimes we Americans have to learn to be humble... The world doesn't revolve around us.

I think its time that we throw out all our political agendas and just stick to the airline stuff.

Anyways back to topic, IR to JFK would be the most logical. Any other destination would not be suitable for the time being.

How beautiful would it be to see IR 747-Sp's in JFK.

Drew

[Edited 2006-01-27 02:20:25]
AMS-LAX-MNL

OPNLguy

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:02 am

Quoting Wjcandee (Reply 26):
I personally feel like this presents very serious security questions. The potential for the flight to be used as a Trojan horse is a real concern.

Amen bro! Tehran-JFK flights make about as much sense as Pyongyang-JFK flights from a security perspective in this day and age. Think "delivery vehicle" instead of airliner...

Anyone ever see the 1978 TV-movie "Evening in Byzantium"? Would hate to see life imitate art...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

dtw9

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:07 am

(It will never happen as long as the republicans are in office.) Like it ever happened while the Arkansas gang was in power. Some of you people need to look at the broad picture, not your narrow minded veiws

BA

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 18):
Ah yes indeed, the British should be very ashamed of their role in overthrowing old whatisname and installing the Shah.

Mohammed Mossadegh
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Falcon84

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:22 am

"Direct" and "Nonstop" are not necessarily the same thing, my friend.

Quoting DCAYOW (Reply 11):
NYC and LAX routes are permissible via: Lebanon, Turkey, Israel (!),

Israel hast to go back to the days of Phalavi, when Israel and Iran had a pretty good relationship.

Quoting Magyar (Reply 21):
Iranian people have with he World the less chance the mullahs have to stay in power.

Interesting perspective. During the Cold War, a lot of people had the same view with travel between the U.S. and the USSR.
Work Right, Fly Hard

dtwclipper

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:27 am

Direct: Same plane multi stops and/or Change of Equipment.

IE: LGA-DTW-NRT is considered Direct even with the change of A/C at DTW.

DTW-NRT is NON-Stop.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

thomasphoto60

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:41 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 40):
Anyone ever see the 1978 TV-movie "Evening in Byzantium"? Would hate to see life imitate art...

Yep, saw it back in 78. I believe it was on CBS.

Thomas
"Show me the Braniffs"

wjcandee

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:43 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 40):
Think "delivery vehicle" instead of airliner...

Exactamundo. (LOL at the Pyongyang comment, btw!) Thanks for the nod; I actually thought that I would get flamed for being xenophobic, which I am not. I just think that this particular origin point presents relatively-unique issues when it comes to rights to fly in our airspace.

magyar

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:53 am

Falcon84 wrote:
>>
Interesting perspective. During the Cold War, a lot of people had the same view with travel between the U.S. and the USSR.
<<

And your point is ......?

amax1977

Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:59 am

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 14):
Iran and Israel had excellent relations in the old days.

Good old days...

[Edited 2006-01-27 03:09:39]

pillowtester

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:01 am

Stop with the "Americans need to humble themselves" type of rhetoric its getting old.

Iran is the one that should humble themselves. Not stop until Israel is wiped off the planet? What kind of crazy a** talking is that?

"If you don't like it, you're free to leave at any time."
MÜVI Patient Education is the first 4K dental patient education video system. If you are looking for patient education videos for dentists or want to play dental videos in your waiting room, discover what MÜVI can do for your practice!

amax1977

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:03 am

How if a non-Iranian or non-American airline fly the route? Like EK??? There are lots of airlines that currently fly to both Iran and US...

amax1977

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:08 am

Quoting PillowTester (Reply 49):
Stop with the "Americans need to humble themselves" type of rhetoric its getting old.

Iran is the one that should humble themselves. Not stop until Israel is wiped off the planet? What kind of crazy a** talking is that?

"If you don't like it, you're free to leave at any time."

Come on dude! Why you lose temper?! Iran is the only nation that two people from them are currently presidents at the same time! Presidents of Iran and Israel! They are both born and lived in Iran! Now it happened that Iranians exported the good president to Israel and kept the wrong one in house!   

[Edited 2006-01-27 03:11:21]

[Edited 2006-01-27 03:12:30]

777fan

Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:15 am

Proof again that this man is insane. If they can't even get parts for their "vintage" Boeings (for obvious reasons), what makes him they he'll get a direct route to the US?! Considering Iran's current behavior, Ahmadinejad is more likely to be on the "receiving end" of a one way Trident-III missile flight from an undisclosed point in the US! Give me a break!
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos