dsa
Topic Author

United Flies Out Of Bankruptcy:UA Flies High Again

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:07 am

A Tribute to all at United and the airline for helping the airline to fly high again. In this you can leave messages of tribute to staff and the managment team for flying the worlds greatest airline out of bankruptcy.

Please leave messages and enjoy the following Photo's

The Reorganisation saw many changes some painful but some great like the fabulous livery.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ben Wang
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Moores

Please Leave Your Tributes

DSA>>>
Go Skybus!!!!

jetdeltamsy

RE: United Flies Out Of Bankruptcy:UA Flies High Again

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:11 am

Quoting Dsa (Thread starter):
The Reorganisation saw many changes some painful but some great like the fabulous livery.

Tributes? Ugh. They are still losing money at the rate of about $1 billion per year.

A "fabulous" new livery does not make a great airline.

United needs to be bought out by Continental and their corporate "we don't care because we don't have to" culture be eradicated.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

londonlady71

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:15 am

Can't anyone just be nice on this board for 5 minutes?

well the OP did but then as per usual along comes a united basher. It is getting quite tiresome.

byronsterk

RE: United Flies Out Of Bankruptcy:UA Flies High A

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:15 am

Well with a livery THAT ugly (even worst then Transavia n/c) it's bound to go wrong

But, good luck UA...
Helicopters can't fly, there just so ugly the earth repells them...

londonlady71

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:16 am

and another!! whats wrong with it, it is fresh and brighter than before.

calpilot

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:16 am

Yeah flying high, I guess you did'nt buy their stock yeaterday?

So much for Daytrading! "D'oh"!

rabenschlag

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:23 am

there was a great tribute in the sunday new york times:

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01/29/business/yourmoney/29every.html

skytony

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:30 am

Here we go......BASH UNITED Airlines thread. Gosh has anyone have anything positive to say about United.

This negativity is really,really getting old.

As old as: When is NWA changing there DC-9's, Delta's new uniforms and cabins on the 767, Continental and Jetblue are the greatest thing since sliced bread, and unions suck, airliners.net threads.

If no one is going to say anything positive, I suggest this thread be closed.
Lower your expectations! You will always be pleasantly surprised!

Poitin

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:44 am

Quoting Byronsterk (Reply 3):
Well with a livery THAT ugly (even worst then Transavia n/c) it's bound to go wrong

[quote=Londonlady71,reply=4]and another!! whats wrong with it, it is fresh and brighter than before.

It may look "better" but it looks like a "ghost" paint job to me. Not at all cheerful.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

bravo7e7

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:00 am

Well, let me be one of the first to congratulate UA! Although they certainly have some more hurdles to jump, they are looking at a better future. With their new PS, ExPlus, Ted, etc. service, they should be able to compete with just about any American carrier. UA, keep up the great work!

For those who don't like the livery, too frickin' bad! The average person could not care less. While I was originally not a fan of the new livery, after having flown on UA196UA recently, I am a convert.

Cory6188

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:05 am

Although I am generally a CO fan, I do have to applaud UA that they have maitained the greatest semblance of service and extra "frills" beyond CO as far as amenities go in the domestic US market, particularly in F class.

ua2162

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:09 am

You can say all you want but you can't ignore the fact that they are out. I seem to remember many on this board say they would liquidate. Hmmm...

Congrats UA!

atnight

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:11 am

The idea of CO buying out United is one of those posts that is getting rather old.... CO will NEVER be able to buy United.... there has been many threads about this, and United is way too big for small CO to think about buying it.... If anything, it will be the other way around, United buying out CO, which would make a lot more sense, so all of you CO enthusiast, please get back to reality and remember that CO will not own United....

And since this is a thread about United's exit from bankruptcy, I do wish UA the best, and do hope they fly higher!! I personally don't fly with them (mainly cuz they just don't fly to Ecuador), but the few times I do, when my folks (1K members) give me a reward ticket somewhere, I don't mind them, although I've had high and low experiences with them... My parents love United, and they have treated them well, so I do hope United gets only better and perhaps one day start flights to UIO so I can also fly with them... In the mean time, I'll stick to CO (including CM & skyteam) & LAN...
B707 B727 B733/5/7/8/9 B742/4 B752/3 B763/4 B772 A310 A318/319/320 A332 A343 MD80 DC9/10 CRJ200 ERJ145 ERJ-170 Be1900 Da

UAL777UK

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:16 am

Quoting CALPilot (Reply 5):

It was majorly oversubscribed, you would need to be an idiot to assume it would go up!!

antoniemey

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:22 am

Quoting Atnight (Reply 13):
The idea of CO buying out United is one of those posts that is getting rather old.... CO will NEVER be able to buy United.... there has been many threads about this, and United is way too big for small CO to think about buying it.... If anything, it will be the other way around, United buying out CO, which would make a lot more sense, so all of you CO enthusiast, please get back to reality and remember that CO will not own United....

Personally, I wouldn't want either to buy the other.... it'd probably kill both.

Anyway, props to UA for exiting bankruptcy court.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

mariner

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:27 am

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 14):
It was majorly oversubscribed, you would need to be an idiot to assume it would go up!!

If it was "majorly oversubscribed" that suggests there would be a demand for it at the open.

Google - GOOG - for example, was "majorly oversubscribed" and went up strongly at the open.

Krimpy Kreme - KKD - was "majorly oversubscribed" and went up strongly at the open.

So - why would he be "an idiot" to assume that UAUA might do the same?

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

FlyKev

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:48 am

Welcome back United.
Never flown them, will try them one day. I want to try out chanel 9.
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

AADC10

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:50 am

The UA that exited bankruptcy looks a lot like the one that entered bankruptcy except that they have Buy on Board meals and offer upgrades for sale on checkin, to the irritation of Milage Plus members. Hopefully the continuity is a good thing but we shall see.

jfklganyc

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:53 am

Well, I wish the employees of UAL good luck, I think they're going to need it.

United still hasn't proven that it can be profitable. I think if/when that happens, people will feel a lot better.

This Bankruptcy has been long and ugly to watch and I hope it all pays off in the end.

PJ

1MillionFlyer

Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:58 am

One of my firends was flying ORD-DEN today and got to the gate 12 minutes before departure due to late arrival...the gate agent said the flight was closed and "she was going home" "check the monitors".

15 tight connecting PAX got no explaination and no help - Typical UA, somethings never change Bankruptcy or not, UA - No WAY
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

CO767FA

Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:38 am

Quoting Atnight (Reply 13):
CO will NEVER be able to buy United.... there has been many threads about this, and United is way too big for small CO to think about buying it....

Be careful using the word "Never"; it might come back to bite you. Did it cross your mind that a group of investors might stand behind CO's purchase. CO would be the acquirer as, per their agreement with NW, they can't be acquired without the blessing of NW (even-though they are in BK).

tsaord

Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:43 am

That 747 looks great!
there are icons, then there are legends, then there is rick flair

aa1818

Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:44 am

Despite being an AA fan, I think that no matter what airline u like/ dislike, we should all agree that it's great for the US aviation industry to have it's airlines (UA and Aloha) out of bankruptcy and trying to make it. Now we may personally dislike aspects of airlines, but remember that thousands of people rely on these airlines for employment and it's just plain harsh to bash an airline making an attempt in the free market. You go UA (but make sure you beat 'em AA!!!)

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

nwab787techops

Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:52 am

Quoting CO767FA (Reply 21):

Quoting CO767FA (Reply 21):
Be careful using the word "Never"; it might come back to bite you. Did it cross your mind that a group of investors might stand behind CO's purchase. CO would be the acquirer as, per their agreement with NW, they can't be acquired without the blessing of NW (even-though they are in BK).

Oh, we can say never on this one. NWA will NEVER give it's blessing on this! If they are still here? That would put NWA out in the cold. Nwa needs CO just as UAL them. But will see.........

CO767FA

Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:27 am

Quoting Nwab787techops (Reply 24):
NWA will NEVER give it's blessing on this!

NW can deny someone the ability to buy CO, but CO can buy anyone they want without NW's blessing!

lightsaber

Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 23):
Despite being an AA fan, I think that no matter what airline u like/ dislike, we should all agree that it's great for the US aviation industry to have it's airlines (UA and Aloha) out of bankruptcy and trying to make it. Now we may personally dislike aspects of airlines, but remember that thousands of people rely on these airlines for employment and it's just plain harsh to bash an airline making an attempt in the free market. You go UA

Nice post. What is with the UA bashing? Let's celibrate their exit from BK for at least a few days!

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 20):
15 tight connecting PAX got no explaination and no help - Typical UA, somethings never change Bankruptcy or not, UA - No WAY

Weird... I had a totally different experience with UA last week. In fact, I was expecting an experience like what you described... yet dozens of my coworkers have transitioned through DEN recently without an issue or complaint. (Ok, one coworker started A vs. B... he didn't get it when I joked if he was a member of a.net.)

Congrats UA!
And I too like the new colors.

Quoting FlyKev (Reply 17):
I want to try out chanel 9

I forgot to try this my flights (I had a great new book that took all of my attention... well, that and my work laptop.)

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

planecrazy2

Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:52 am

It's an exciting time for United, I am glad that this part of United's history is now behind us. Many people predicted the end time after time, and they were proven wrong. Now they predict that UA will be back in ch11 or ch7. They were wrong the first time, I have no reason to believe them now. I hope the future holds good things for everyone at UA. United has a rich history of innovation, and an unbeatable global and regional network. What makes them special isnt what they did on perfect days, but how they rose to the challenge in difficult times. With a revitalised airline, fresh look, cutting edge marketing, new services, and the most capable people in the airline industry, they are ready to take on any challenge. Long live United Air Lines! It's time to fly.
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

mattnrsa

Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:04 pm

Quoting Mariner (Reply 16):
If it was "majorly oversubscribed" that suggests there would be a demand for it at the open.

Initial estimates for the UA stock placed it in the vicinity of $14-$15, pre-trading took it all the way up to $43, even though most other airline stocks are trading around $20. Its current stock price in the mid-30s gives UA the second highest market cap.

I think many here continue to forget that UA came out of BK with most of its strengths intact. Pretty amazing considering the huge number of people, both here and in the world of analysts, that were certain UA would either liquidate or emerge a shell of its former self.

UA's costs are way down, operational performance is up, overall debt is down, they've been given a healthy credit rating, and revenue improvements are outperforming the industry average.

If it doesn't look good for UA, what other US carrier (apart from WN, and even their hedges are slowly running out) does it look good for?

jacobin777

Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:11 pm

MyAviation.net photo:
Photo © Jacobin777

Quoting Londonlady71 (Reply 2):
Can't anyone just be nice on this board for 5 minutes?

here..I can........ Smile

Though I'm an AA Platinum flyer and don't give my business to UA, I still wish them the best of luck as I'm originally from the Chicagoland (planes fly over my families house everyday) and I live in the Bay Area (another large UA hub).....

goooooooo United!
"Up the Irons!"

777ER
Head Moderator

Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 1):

Quoting Byronsterk (Reply 3):

Hey its nice to see that you guys and all the others who posted pointless replys that you guys wasted a few minutes of your time posting a useless and pointless reply. Man your lives must be boring.

Congrats UA and I can't wait till June when I get to fly UA to DTW via ORD. Finally get to fly one of the worlds best airlines
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

mariner

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:14 pm

Quoting Mattnrsa (Reply 28):
Initial estimates for the UA stock placed it in the vicinity of $14-$15, pre-trading took it all the way up to $43, even though most other airline stocks are trading around $20.

The point is that it was first day and it was majorly oversubscribed - which suggests demand. And yes, I do understand that a number of underwriting institutions made their money in pre-trading.

The new US Airways - LCC - opened up and just kept going up, with little relationship to it's profit/loss situation. It has been trading almost as high as Alaska, which is actually making money.

It is no surprise to me that UAUA went down on its first day, although the amount raised my eyebrows, given the huge institutional interest.

But I think it is wrong to call someone an idiot for being surprised at what happened on the first day.

cheers

mariner
aeternum nauta

zvezda

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:22 pm

I think the new livery is attractive, though it's more important that it costs less than the previous (Steven Wolf approved) livery.

jacobin777

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:24 pm

gosh..why does this have to be such a jerk fest....I fly UA's big competitor, AA, yet I wish UA the best...

this was supposed to be a "good luck UA" thread...not a bashing thread....
"Up the Irons!"

jetdeltamsy

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:26 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 30):
Hey its nice to see that you guys and all the others who posted pointless replys that you guys wasted a few minutes of your time posting a useless and pointless reply. Man your lives must be boring.

You're under 20 years old. Do you understand the concept of social justice?

United has screwed its customers,investors and competitors for decades.

Their management deserves to be unemployed. The rank and file are fine folks. But the management staff are trash.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

FriendlySkies

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:38 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 34):

Their management deserves to be unemployed.

The management team currently running UA had nothing to do with UA for 'decades' as most were brought in during 2002-2003.

The management team you're referring to managed to turn an airline everyone was writing off 3 years ago into an airline that has a decent chance of long-term survival. Obviously there is more work to do, but for heaven's sake, they've been out for 2 days and you're all spelling out their death again! I think you guys are just afraid to accept that UA proved you all wrong.

Plus, UA has been focusing on the customer moreso than every other US legacy (with the possible exception of CO). While others (such as DL) have been reducing in-flight service, UA has done what it could to improve it, and has if nothing else kept it the same. They introduced p.s. service on JFK-west coast flights, which has been a huge success. They introduced explus, which makes regional flights less of a drag. And surveys from fliers indicate that the efforts have paid off.

And screwed it's competitors? WTF?! What are they supposed to do, hand them routes on silver platters and not compete? That's probably the dumbest thing I've read in this thread.

aircanada014

Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:49 pm

Congratulations to United Airline Employees, I wish them luck. I don't understand whats wrong with their new livery? I really like it alot. I do miss their previous livery but I really like this one.

777ER
Head Moderator

Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:14 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 30):

You're under 20 years old.

Well for starters, get your facts correct as I'm not under 20, I'm 20. Yeah sure

And the other airlines around the world havn't? No airline is 100% perfect, not even the airlines you fly
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

uadc8contrail

Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:26 pm

Their management deserves to be unemployed. The rank and file are fine folks. But the management staff are trash.

jetdelta,
you are a very sad person....you continue to scream about how ual screwed co back in the 80s-90s....get over it..the airline you worked for is in better shape today with out you and you are working for a airline that will eventually come knocking on your door and take your pay and benefits as well. if you can not post any thing positive about united please keep your anger against ual to your self....wait till your beloved delta screws the employees,investors and competitors....
Bus Driver

dsa
Topic Author

Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:43 pm

Thankyou for your replies, I thank all of those who left positive tributes it just shows how trully UA is respected. I urge all negative posters to give UA a second chance. There are negative experiences but these are just like one in a million. So please let's all go forward into the future with United.

United - Flying High Again and Weathering the Storm

DSA>>>
Go Skybus!!!!

ual777

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:32 am

ALL airlines do it and UA is NOT the worst offender.

Take a look at AA. After the 171 crash, they were shredding mantainance reports to try and avoid liability.

You are just a UA hater.
It is always darkest before the sun comes up.

zvezda

Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:53 am

I think this may be the lowest quality post I've ever seen on A.net. It evidences an ignorance of economics, logic, and ethics.

Do you understand the concept of social justice?

I don't understand what a discredited marxist concept has to do with the subject at hand.

I've been a United customer and a United investor. There are times that I've been an unsatisfied customer, but United has never screwed me. The bit about United screwing their competitors is just bizarre. Perhaps it relates to the attempt to apply "social justice" to something that outlived the soviet empire.

Both the rank and file and the management include both good and bad characters. That's true for any organization as large as United. I've also seen United employees be devils one day and angels another day. Biochemistry just works that way.

I was as surprised as anyone that United emerged from Chapter 11. Three years ago I thought the likelihood was remote. But I'm not unhappy or bitter about it. Tilton and Brace did a great job and should handsomely rewarded -- even if Brace bears significant responsibility for getting United into trouble in the first place.

EMBQA

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:36 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 40):
Take a look at AA. After the 171 crash, they were shredding maintenance reports to try and avoid liability.

That young man is a liable statement, unless you have proof...
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

1MillionFlyer

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:38 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 42):

This is A.Net home of 16 yr old CEO's and other airline wannabes, 80% of the things posted on A.Net are rubbish, I wouldn't worry about it.
Golf Foxtrot you are cleared for departure

uadc8contrail

Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:39 am

quote=UAL777,reply=40]Take a look at AA. After the 171 crash, they were shredding mantainance reports to try and avoid liability.[/quote]

embqa,
i think he meant 191 and yes it was true what aa did......
Bus Driver

CO767FA

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:02 am

Quoting 1MillionFlyer (Reply 43):
This is A.Net home of 16 yr old CEO's and other airline wannabes, 80% of the things posted on A.Net are rubbish, I wouldn't worry about it.

This is the difference between an educated (real life and book) man and those he describes in the aformentioned quote.

777jaah

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:38 am

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 14):
Yeah flying high, I guess you didn't buy their stock yeaterday?

As a stock trader,I got a hint for you 4 free: Buy the rumor, sell with the news.

On the nice side, I'm glad UA flew out of bankruptcy, just as AV did a short time ago. These are the kind of news that we a.netters have to be happy for. And stop ripping UA just bc they made bad decisions in the past, they're making a big effort to get into the right path, and it seems to be working.

Good luck.
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

AA777223

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:47 am

Although I am an AA flyer, as my name suggests, I am certainly happy to see the long revered United emerging from bankruptcy. Even though I do not fly united I can certainly appreciate the importance they play in the American aviation arena. I wish them the best of luck, and by the way, I think their new livery is absolutely incredible! I think their 777s and 747s are the most amazing looking aircraft flying today. Congratulations United and best of luck this time around.

[Edited 2006-02-04 18:50:49]
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

jacobin777

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:49 am

Quoting UAL777 (Reply 40):

Take a look at AA. After the 171 crash, they were shredding mantainance reports to try and avoid liability.

you meant AA-Flight 191..

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 42):

and according to a documentary, it was true....one can probably find the court cases (and resolutions) regarding it..
"Up the Irons!"

Georgetown

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:53 am

So much for Daytrading! "D'oh"!

If your a serious and informed day trader, than you know two things.
1) You bought the stock on a whim and not as an informed and well researched decision. (It hurts to admit, I know. I've been there)

2) You also realize (if you've traded it you need to stop daytrading altogether) you're in what is actually an ok position and might want hold onto it for a little bit and see what happens. (Open up the Wall Street Journal, tape it to the wall, throw 12 darts at the stocks page and buy those stocks as well if you have a hard time stomaching the owner ship of UAUA). Still, nothing is ever certain.
Let's go Hoyas!

dsa
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:58 am

Please keep your comments coming. United mangament should be praised despite mny saying that there tactics are crazy. They are working, another thing is to praise the employees. Without their unity, tolerance and determination the great airline that is United would not exist.

United - Flying High Again and Weathering the Storm

DSA>>>
Go Skybus!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos