Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

garpd

RE: Air Crash Investigation: New Series Tonight!

Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:53 pm

Welll WOW!

Both episodes were fabulous. Very high standard sets and good actors. Excellent investigation. A true tribute to the people lost.

The JAL 123 episode was particularly horrifying. The poor people.

I have listened to the CVR from the initial explosion to the final impact on the mountainside. The crew struggled valiantly for 40 or so minutes.
There is a wierd sound that increases in noise as the aircraft dives toward the first peak, you hear the first impact and the pilots go silent, obviously in that second resigned to their fate, but the GPWS and other alarms continue to sound, steadfastly doing their job. Then about 2 or 3 seconds later you hear the second and final impact for 2 or 3 seconds before the CVR cuts out. The noise is bone chillingly deadly.

Finaly, this episode of Air Crash Investigation has but actions to those sounds I listened to.
arpdesign.wordpress.com

fxramper

Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:00 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 21):
On April 7, 1994, FedEx flight 705 is just finishing its climb out of Memphis, U.S. when an off-duty FedEx flight engineer suddenly storms the cockpit. Bashing in the crew members' skulls with a hammer and armed with a spear gun, the crazed attacker seems intent on killing the crew and taking over the plane.

Was just talking to someone at work about this a few days ago. Amazed!

anandt

Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:57 pm

Aftewr watching teh JAL crash yesterday I am wondering why the US chopper was ordered back. They could have easily saved a few people I guess.

Eirjet

Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:51 pm

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 8):
I would love to see the Aer Lingus flight 712 in 1968 that crashed into the sea. The reasons for the crash are unknown and many have said that there was an Aer Lingus cover up and they made out that a British missile shot it down. So I dont think we will see this one anytime soon.

Ther were a lot of stories flying around about this incident - One of them was the apparent 'disappearance' of the aircrafts maintanence records.

The whole British Navy involvement is one that has being going around since the old days when anything wrong that happened in Ireland was blamed on the British  Yeah sure

I thought there had being a recent investigation into this crash.

My mothers boss was on that flight.

Eirjet
Aviation has a 100% record, we've never left one up there......

shamrock350

Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:45 pm

I'm watching both the episodes again (Im off sick from school) They are great shows.
So, the Aer Lingus crash still remains a mystery to us on A.net. I hope Air Crash Investigation do a peice on it. Big grin

David L

Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting Eirjet (Reply 53):
Ther were a lot of stories flying around about this incident - One of them was the apparent 'disappearance' of the aircrafts maintanence records.

I thought there had being a recent investigation into this crash.

Yes, initially there was suspicion about missing records which made some suspect UK involvement. The Irish government commissioned an independent report in 2002 which, although inconclusive, suggested less sinister causes. The missing records turned out to be Aer Lingus' maintenance records for the aircraft for the period shortly before the accident.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aer_Lingus_Flight_712

Our very own equivalent of TWA800.

pilot kaz

Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:18 pm

WOW,

both Episodes fantastic! so much detail.. Its a shame people died though in such a horrible way, Jeez their was even a Guy like us on the A310 flight, Loved aviation and taking photos.....  Sad
-

9VSPO
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:03 am

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 56):
both Episodes fantastic! so much detail

Yep, it's definately a quality programme.  Wink
The detail is excellent and it's a good mix. Nice to see relatives of the passangers talking about it too.

leigh pilgrim

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:08 am

Hello people,

I agree, I find these programmes intresting, however I hardly believe that we should be 'excited' about watching these documentries, remember inicent lives were lost in these terrible incidents.

I myself watch these programmes, not only for the intrest, but also to find out why they happened and to make sure they dont happen again, I have been through Human factors courses where you watch these things all day, and they get very emotional at times, but I belive in the purpose to make us learn from previous mistakes, therefore making the skies safer for us all

Only my opinion

9VSPO
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:25 am

Quoting Leigh pilgrim (Reply 58):

Hi Leigh,

I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you on that score. I think the whole point of the events is that we learn from the mistakes. I am purely fascinated at what happens, I am after all, human.  Wink

9VSPO
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:31 am

Are you watching the FedEx one now? I really hope that guy gets it!

rdwelch

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:47 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 60):
Are you watching the FedEx one now? I really hope that guy gets it!

I wish we could get these in the States.
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

tangoecho

Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:54 am

I'm watching the Fedex one right now,

That hijacker guy had some strength didn't he!

Stu..
Contact Aberdeen tower on 118.10 G'day.

egnr

Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:43 am

Both of the episodes shown tonight were brilliantly done again. Excellent productions.

Both the DHL air crew of the A300 hit by the missile over Iraq, and the FedEx crew showed awesome airmanship to get their aircarft on the ground in very difficult circumstances.

The bravery of the heavily injured FedEx crew particuarly amazed me.
7late7, A3latey, Sukhoi Superlate... what's going on?

cricri

Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:42 pm

And... still no chance to get all the episodes from the start on DVD once? Do they think of a commercial production? I also would like to know the same about the theatre group called Charlie Victor Romeo (CVR) who was live on Broadway last year. Thanks for any info.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:28 pm

Quoting Cricri (Reply 64):
still no chance to get all the episodes from the start on DVD once?

Not yet I'm afraid.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:22 am

Did you see the Alhoa 737-200 with the roof blown off?  Wow!

I think I would have sh*t my pants!

skyharborshome

Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:53 am

First, I actually like "Seconds from Disaster"

Second, hearing you all talk about how great these shows are makes me feel like the kid who watches his neighbor get a new scooter for Christmas when you only received a yo-yo.  bored 

Well, I always set TiVo to record all the "Air Emergency" and related programs so hopefully I will get to see these soon. Keep us posted!
Fly CHD!

noelg

Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:02 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 66):
Did you see the Alhoa 737-200 with the roof blown off? Wow!

Absolutely unbelievable! I'd heard all about it before, but god I had no idea what the people on that flight must have gone through. So lucky that most survived, but what a horrible way to die for the F/A.

The new evidence apparently proves that she died almost instantly hitting her head, but not pleasant in any case. Sad

9VSPO
Topic Author

Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:42 am

The next two episodes are not on till next week - I'm gutted! I thought there was a new one every night. Here are the next two...

TowerEye

Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:48 pm

This should be very interesting to produce:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1976_Zagreb_mid-air_collision

I think that NGC Netherlands (which is broadcasted via cable in Belgrade, Serbia) will start with with this series tommorow, 12. 2.

KAL007 is also very interesting http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_Air_007

Comply or die!

BMED

Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:49 am

Quoting Shamrock350 (Reply 8):
I would love to see the Aer Lingus flight 712 in 1968 that crashed into the sea. The reasons for the crash are unknown and many have said that there was an Aer Lingus cover up and they made out that a British missile shot it down. So I dont think we will see this one anytime soon.

Found this

A new board of investigation was set up by the Irish government and found that the crash was the consequence of a chain of events starting with a failure to the left tail-plane caused by metal fatigue, corrosion, flutter or a bird strike, with the most likely cause being a flutter induced fatigure failure of the elevator trim tab operating mechanism.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

AC773

Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:25 am

You can download them here. Ben Jones on the IFDG forums has been kind enough to post them for those of us who don't live in Europe.

Thanks so much Ben!  bigthumbsup 
Better to be nouveau than never to have been riche at all.

UN_B732

Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:45 am

Very Commendable of Ben.
I'm going to try to compress his file to a lower quality DivX of about 35MB so us folks without such good bandwidth can pull it in. I'll probably post the episode onto Usenet, and maybe host it on my HTTP server. Maybe.
Here are some notes I made while watching the SU593 incident (someone from Airliners.net HAS to comment on it)

-SU still uses flight 593 (aeroflot.ru). I found that interesting. I think this is one of the few instances of an accident flight # still being in use.
-They used the right SU livery, that was fairly rare. Nice job.
-A.nutter type -- One of the British people was headed just to see the new HKG Airport. He seemed like a planespotterish type, an Airliners.net type.
-Fully-Automated, at one point they said the 310 was fully-automated, which now that I think about it makes sense, but to newbies it might not be what it seems.
-Also, not sure about how the 310 is setup. Did the pilots wear headsets? It shows one of the pilots using a radio.

Overall, great job well done, very sad incident.
What now?

pilot kaz

Mon Feb 13, 2006 9:02 am

Anyone think they are repeating Kid in the cockpit, JAL123 and the DHL a bit to much? they are all on at least 2-3 times a day! (not to mention plus one!)

Cannot wait for the new epidodes!
-

shamrock350

Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:59 am

Quoting Pilot kaz (Reply 74):
Anyone think they are repeating Kid in the cockpit, JAL123 and the DHL a bit to much? they are all on at least 2-3 times a day! (not to mention plus one!)

I have watched them all about five times now!

Quoting BMED (Reply 71):
A new board of investigation was set up by the Irish government and found that the crash was the consequence of a chain of events starting with a failure to the left tail-plane caused by metal fatigue, corrosion, flutter or a bird strike, with the most likely cause being a flutter induced fatigure failure of the elevator trim tab operating mechanism.

Thanks for that! I have never heard of any "real" possible causes.

9VSPO
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:32 am

The Egypt Air one is on tonight at 9!! Brand new episode!!

pilot kaz

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:11 am

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 76):
The Egypt Air one is on tonight at 9!! Brand new episode!!

Whoa! What a Phyco!  Wow!
-

adam1115

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:07 pm

Why in the hell can't we get this in the US??? Cmon NGC!!

dc863

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:33 pm

I saw a program in 1989 about JL123 in which it aired video of the doomed 747 taking off. Someone had a videocamera and you can see it flying high above the cameraman with flaps still in takeoff configuration. After the tail blew off a photographer on the ground took a still photo of it a few minutes before it's final demise.

HAWK21M

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:06 pm

Quoting 9VSPO (Reply 7):

Thanks for the link.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

levent

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:40 pm

I like the series but it's a shame that the cockpits aren't very realistic. Also images shown of radar screens are often makeshift. I don't mean to be picky, but there are so few 100% realistic and well-researched aviation programmes out there...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos