Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

mshelby
Topic Author

United Channel 9

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:23 am

Does anybody know the history behind United offering Channel 9 to passengers? How come no other airlines offer that perk? Listening to ATC during flight is absolutely a awesome feature for those that have a strong passion for aviation or for others that want to learn about aviation and its ATC system. Flying in and out of ORD is real treat listening to ATC and the amount traffic that goes on in that airspace. Anybody have a good stories while listening to Channel 9 on UAL?

nudelhirsch

RE: United Channel 9

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:26 am

I have been on a flight to ORD when the PNF kept forgetting the flight number (callsign)... he was like "United 9....uh...9...9...94.......9....94..........941..."
And departing FRA the tower told us to "keep it rolling!" with our take off clearance...  Smile
Putana da Seatbeltz!

777fan

Wed Feb 08, 2006 11:32 am

Couldn't tell you how long channel 9 has been around but I'll agree that it's an awesome "toy" for aviation aficionados. I can remember it being around since at least the early 90s, if not earlier on some aircraft.

Recent story: heard an AA MD-80 (I looked it up online when I got home) enroute to MSP from DFW ponder declaring an IFE due to fuel pump issues. Conversations between pilots and ground controllers can get pretty interesting when flying cross country red eye or west coast to Hawaii flights (provided they switch the audio over to HF). One memorable topic several years ago included a review of a Diff'rent Strokes reunion show. I find channel 9 to be really interesting (and informative) when arriving/departing from busy airports and while flying through rough weather and/or turbulence.
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

halls120

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:11 pm

One morning at IAD, awaiting takeoff for LHR, all takeoffs were being held up because an inbound flight had declared an emergency. As we sat on the taxiway for 1R, those of us listening to Ch9 got an earful - status of the inbound, tower trying to find places to put aircraft lining up for takeoff and when the A/c had landed, tower trying to sort all the backed up inbounds and launching the backlog on the ground.

It was incredibly complex and interesting.

[Edited 2006-02-08 04:12:17]
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

highflyer9790

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:14 pm

one time we were departing denver and the ground controller said "follow the guy in front of you.." then there was a responce- "actually its a women in front....frontiers' 435..."

MarshalN

Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:40 pm

It's always interesting during turbulence when pilots and ATC are trying to figure out how the weather is and the ride condition... and you can sometimes follow how the local ATC gradually gathers info and lets the newcomers know which FLs are better for a smoother ride, etc

ckfred

Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:24 pm

AA used to have an audio channel with ATC communications, but it was dropped when the air phones were installed. The fear was that people would misunderstand communications and then call family and friends, or worse, the media.

Even though the air phones were removed from the MD-80s and other domestic planes, the ATC channel hasn't been restored, due to most passengers carrying cell phones.

sparkingwave

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:07 pm

I was on two UA flights yesterday (2/7), UA 852 from HKG to NRT, and then UA 837 from NRT to ICN. I listened in on Channel 9 on both flights. It was really neat cause you could hear all the different accents of pilots who were calling in on other flights as well as the pilots on my flights. A lot of British accents on Cathay Pacific flights, and Japanese accents from the control tower at NRT, women pilots on Northwest Airlines, and Korean accents at ICN.

-There was an ANA flight that had to divert from NRT to HND because of weather..

-And there was also an automated voice describing wind and other flying conditions at NRT while boarding on UA837. Computer synthesized voices are getting really articulate these days..

SparkingWave ~~~
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

onetogo

Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:44 pm

I wonder what amount of sales United attributes to them offering channel 9. I know I sure fly them as much as I possibly can solely because of channel 9. Oh yeah, and their route structure is superb as well. If more airlines offered a "channel 9" then that would be, well, awesome!

Mir

Wed Feb 08, 2006 3:16 pm

Quoting SparkingWave (Reply 7):
-And there was also an automated voice describing wind and other flying conditions at NRT while boarding on UA837. Computer synthesized voices are getting really articulate these days..

Must have been the ATIS.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

UAL777UK

Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:30 pm

I recall flying UA from HKG to LAX just after the new HKG airport opened, when they only had one active runway. I was listening to Channel 9 along with a lot of others. We were number three to go and were effectively side by side with an SQ 773 lined up for take off. ATC gave SQ the clearance for take off and all you could see was the captain putting on his white gloves...ATC told it roll asap again as there was approaching landing traffic....they still didn't....then ATC.........literally shouted and told them to roll and with that about 20 people in our 747...shouted "Roll!"..........and with that they eventually started there roll.

It was fantastic listing to it.......well done UA.

PIA777

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:04 pm

I once listened to Channel while flying out of ORD and it gets real confusing.
You hear stuff like:

ATC: "You are the 757, right?"
Pilot: "no, we are the 737"
ATC: "OK, turn right, I mean left"

PIA777
GO CUBS!!

str8fromthe808

Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:49 pm

Quoting PIA777 (Reply 11):
ATC: "You are the 757, right?"
Pilot: "no, we are the 737"
ATC: "OK, turn right, I mean left"

whoa...i can see those afraid to fly types getting a little unnerved at stuff like that lol.
it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness...chinese proverb

bhill

Sun Feb 19, 2006 8:33 am

Chan 9..best thing since sliced bread...If the ticket price is comparable I will book with UA just for this spiffy feature!! Makes the flight go by waaaay quicker. If the skipper or the FO is greeting pax during loading, I will always politely ask if chan.l 9 will be available..99% of the time they will do it...

Cheers
Carpe Pices

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:02 am

I am Premier on UA and I fly UA just because of Channel 9. It always drives me nuts when it isn't on. It is usually on 8 out of 10 times. It drives me even more nuts when it is on, and the flight attendant will talk forever about the inflight service (right after takeoff). WHAT SERVICE. They always talk when it gets good.

I had a interesting Channel 9 experience in the fall on a UA 777 from DEN to SFO. The First Officer had a possible heart attack. We were about 200 miles from SFO and we declared a medical emergency. We hauled ass through the descent into SFO. It was cool because channel 9 was on the whole time. We had to stay on board while the they took the pilot off. Thank God it looked like he was doing ok when I saw him in the terminal.

AA used to have ATC and a camera in the cockpit to watch takeoffs and landings on the movie screen. Anyone else remember that. That was on DC-10s in late 70s or early 80s.

fraspotter

Sun Feb 19, 2006 9:28 am

This past summer I was on UA917 from FRA to IAD on a 744 and was listening to Channel 9 almost the entire way. It was cool to listen to what the pilots and ATC are saying. Sometimes I think they forgot that there were passengers listening in on them because they said some very strange things. And we'll just leave it at that...
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

crjflyer35

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:00 am

Quoting SparkingWave (Reply 7):
and then UA 837 from NRT to ICN

I'm so jealous! I was on UA883 back in mid Jan. from NRT to ICN, never heard a peep out of Channel 9. Argh!!!!
Ok, wait for the RJ to pass, cleared to push tail south Mike, and you're cleared to spin #2 in the push.

smcmac32msn

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:11 am

In August I flew ORD-CMH and shortly after takeoff... I heard a WN flight enter the frequency leaving MDW. Every time they switched frequency, we'd change right behind them. They flew at FL210 and we flew at FL250 on the same routing from Chicago to Columbus, OH. The WN flight landed right in front of us and was taxiing back to the gate as we landed. Pretty cool to have the same flights the whole way.
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

ImperialEagle

Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:12 am

Oh yeah!

Even though UA's service to and from ATL is rather limited, the last few times I've gone into ORD I chose UA just because of CH.9.
I did the same thing on one of my more recent trans-cons. Fantastic IFE for enthusiasts! bigthumbsup 
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

legacytravel

Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:21 pm

Quoting 1011 (Reply 14):
AA used to have ATC and a camera in the cockpit to watch takeoffs and landings on the movie screen. Anyone else remember that. That was on DC-10s in late 70s or early 80s.

I remember that. I flew DTW to ORD just so I could fly on the DC-10. The pilot had the camera and sound on it was funny he could not for the life of him
remember his flight number. I sat over the wing on that flight and to see the engine flex during the roll was unnerving. To this day I will not sit over the wing, unless it is UA so I can economy plus.
I always fly UA just for the channel 9 as well. I pass up YX and go past MKE just to get to ORD and channel 9. GO UA all the way.
MArk in MKE
I love the smell of Jet fuel in the Morning

SFOMB67

Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:06 pm

Quoting 1011 (Reply 14):
AA used to have ATC and a camera in the cockpit to watch takeoffs and landings on the movie screen. Anyone else remember that. That was on DC-10s in late 70s or early 80s

I also remember that. When I was in the Air Force, flying PHX - ORD on AA in '65, either a 707 or 727 and remember seeing our landing. I thought the camera was on the nose gear, but maybe not.
Not as easy as originally perceived

DFW13L

Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:40 pm

I've never actually flown UA, except for a DC10 LIH-HNL about 15-20 years ago, and now that I found out about this I'm thinking of buying a ticket on them DFW-DEN-LAS LAS-SFO(3pm-6pm layover in SFO for decent spotting)-DFW. I remember back in the 1980s when I was 8 years old flying AA5 a 747-100 DFW-HNL listening to the ATC. It was great. I'm glad that UA does this.

Does the Channel 9 also work on 737s and flights on Ted? The UA website is kind of vague, but it suggests it's not there on the 737s, and doesn't mention anything on channel 9 and 10 on Ted.

The itinerary is
737 DFW-DEN
Ted to LAS
Ted to SFO
A319 SFO-DFW.

Also, do they still serve Starbucks coffee? That would make it even better!

Thanks.

[Edited 2006-02-21 09:46:47]

[Edited 2006-02-21 09:47:48]
See, I knew American Eagle was first class all along!

gunsontheroof

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:15 pm

Quoting Legacytravel (Reply 19):
I remember that. I flew DTW to ORD just so I could fly on the DC-10.

Different times...

I've never flown UA before, but I'll definetly be making an effort to do so next time I fly. Sounds like a great way to pass the time!
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

deltagator

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:21 pm

Quoting DFW13L (Reply 21):
Does the Channel 9 also work on 737s and flights on Ted?

Unless things have changed in the past year they do offer Channel 9 on the 737s. Not sure about Ted though.
"If you can't delight in the misery of others then you don't deserve to be a college football fan."

QF108

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:33 pm

Most certainly is on TED had it LAX-LAS-SFO last November booked my entire trip on UA just because of Ch.9 its simply the best !!!!!
Blessed are the Cheesemakers !

Manta

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:13 pm

Any idea if UAX is going to be getting Ch9 on any of their planes at all? Seems harder and harder to get a mainline flight domestic these days. Sure do miss Ch9 riding on the CR7.

ILCFII

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:47 pm

Have yet to fly on the CR7, but it sure is tough to listen to channel 9 on the CR2 with no IFE Wink

Does the CR7 have any IFE options? How about EMB-170's?

N1120A

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:00 am

Quoting DeltaGator (Reply 23):

Unless things have changed in the past year they do offer Channel 9 on the 737s. Not sure about Ted though.

Quoting QF108 (Reply 24):
Most certainly is on TED had it LAX-LAS-SFO last November booked my entire trip on UA just because of Ch.9 its simply the best !!!!!

All aircraft that are actually flown by United (mainline and Ted) have Channel 9, along with other audio IFE.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

congaboy

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:01 am

Quoting ILCFII (Reply 26):
Does the CR7 have any IFE options? How about EMB-170's?

Nope, those jets are provided by Republic, and therefore not equipped the same as Ted/UA mainline.

Recall once flying from IAD to LHR, and London was having high winds. You can imagine some of the conversations regarding spacing, approach, etc once we began the landing cycle. Agree with all that have said Channel 9 is a valid reason why some of us choose UA.
"Joey, you like movies about gladiators?"

IAHFLYR

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:06 am

I don't fly UA much if at all from Houston however a few years back I had to and they had CH9 up and running before we even left the gate. I found it most interesting to compare what the Capt told the passengers on the PA compared to what the FO told clearance delivery on the radio as to the reason for our delay when she inquired as to how much longer the flight plan was good for since our plane had a maintenance issue which they didn't know how long it would take to fix. Not long after that the PA from the Capt came out as an ATC delay into SFO of which there were none, whoops, guess he forgot about CH9 being on. Sure is funny how much "ATC delay" there is going on even if there is none for that flight!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

danimarroquin

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:05 am

sadly I had bad luck on TED when I flew betwen IAD and MCO , on the night of the super bowl . I don't know how the captain did it , but I heard on channel 9 the hole game during the flight . sadly I was looking forward to hear the ATC , and not the game .  banghead 

ILCFII

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:58 am

I have flown UA for many years and heard many interesting conversations on Channel 9.

One was this past summer when I was an observer aboard a UA B757 that was used for Operation Atlas. This was a terrorist exercise that UA, Massport, Red Cross, and other governmental agencies participated in. United provided the pilots, FA's and of course the airplane.

Although the captain said they would normally turn Channel 9 off during a security breach/emergency, he said he was going to leave it on as the observers needed to listen to the communication between pilots, FA's, terrorists (actors obviously), and ATC.

The conversations were fairly normal with ATC. It was great to be able to listen to the communication between the pilots and FA's. It got exciting as we were joined by our air support, which included a rendezvous 2 F-15's. The pilots of all three aircraft were talking on the frequency to maintain separation and figure out how to turn the TCAS off as they were going crazy.

The rest of the communication between ATC and UA pilots was normal except for Boston Tower advising that all of the emergency equipment would be holding shot of the runway while we landed.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos