Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aeroflot777

RE: Smoking On Airplanes!

Wed Feb 15, 2006 10:00 am

Quoting Moparman (Reply 11):
So does Aeroflot on domestic flights.

Incorrect. ALL SU flights are non-smoking. Some rude pax refuse to follow rules and fail to listen to F/A instructions.

Aeroflot777

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:06 pm

As a former smoker, I am glad I quit and think erveryone that wants to should quit too. However, I would much rather sit next to a smoker than someone who drinks. I have never seen a smoker get belligerent or obnoxious, but drunks, they are a completey different story.

petmbro

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:34 pm

Did Japan do away with smoking? When my dad use to fly JFK-NRT on ANA he told me how the Japanese smoke like crazy and how the whole 742 use to look like a cheap lounge from all the smoke in the air, plus the smell was unreal. This was from I want to say 1995ish (whenever the people mover was put in at NRT, that was his project) to 1997 so its almost 10 years ago.

[Edited 2006-02-15 04:35:10]
"don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining!" - Judge Judy

tbear815

Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:54 pm

If in need, chew Nicorette! Smoking does not belong in a closed, pointed object hurdling through space at 600 MPH. LOTS of water, relaxation techniques, and thinking the flight WILL end can get lots of smokers many miles without craving tobacco. If the majority deem that non-smoking is the way to go, accept it. Been there, done that. Non-smoking inflight is the "only way to fly!" And yes, I still smoke socially (2x)!

satx

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:09 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 67):
Why is it new aircraft (I mean 6-7 years or younger) that are not likely to ever leave the US (RJs, ERJs, 733s, 73Gs, A319s) still feature no smoking signs that have to be illuminated, as if the no smoking ban is a temporary thing?

Good question. Look how long it took to get rid of the 737's 'eyebrow' windows. Just because something isn't used doesn't mean the manufacturer will be willing to get rid of it. Some planes have replaced the no smoking light with a 'no portable electronic device' light. Maybe having a bunch of lighted signs everywhere helps bring-in a little cash as they burn out and need to be replaced.  Big grin

Quoting FLALEFTY (Reply 68):
All I know is that I flew for years in the 70's and 80's with people smoking on planes, and while it stunk, I'm still here....

Ah yes, the 'That which does not kill me only makes me stronger' view? It's too bad your mere anecdotal evidence is going up against reams of statistically relevant data.

Quoting 474218 (Reply 70):
However, I would much rather sit next to a smoker than someone who drinks. I have never seen a smoker get belligerent or obnoxious, but drunks, they are a completey different story.

Hmm. When I drink it tends to mellow me out.

Quoting Petmbro (Reply 71):
Did Japan do away with smoking?

Certainly not! Oh, you mean on airplanes?  Wink Well, international flights to and from Japan on Japan Airlines don't have any smoking in my experience (even those not traveling to or from the US or Europe). I've never tried one of their massive domestic cattle cars, so hopefully somebody else can chime in on those.
A300 319 320 321 332 333 388 B727 732 733 735 737 738 739 742 743 744 752 753 763 764 772 77E 77L 773 77W 788 789 C200 700 900 DHC2 DC9 E145 170 175 190 F100 MD81 82 83 87 88 90 | 38 Lines 44 Craft 58 Ports

petmbro

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:18 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 67):
Why is it new aircraft (I mean 6-7 years or younger) that are not likely to ever leave the US (RJs, ERJs, 733s, 73Gs, A319s) still feature no smoking signs that have to be illuminated, as if the no smoking ban is a temporary thing? Smoking is gone forever on US domestic flights, so why bother with the illuminated sign and not a more permanent sign that doesn't involve lights?

On my last US flight from DCA-FLL I was on a brand-spankin new A319 and I noticed the no smoking sign was not there. The usual seatbelt sign is there but I noticed something different in its place but at the time I didn't really pay attention to it.
Also on I'd say nearly every flight I've been on, during the middle of the flight the No Smoking briefly chimes and goes out and then a few seconds later it chimes and comes back on. Why does that happen?

[Edited 2006-02-15 05:19:55]

superhub

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:33 pm

CX banned smoking in all flights around 1993/94. I remember they banned smoking on certain routes like HKG-LHR before then.

Quoting Petmbro (Reply 74):
Also on I'd say nearly every flight I've been on, during the middle of the flight the No Smoking briefly chimes and goes out and then a few seconds later it chimes and comes back on. Why does that happen?

It usually happens on takeoff or landing. In many US airlines, it tells you that the aircraft has gone above/below 10,000 feet. That means during takeoff, you can start to use portable electronic goods (like laptop computers). Also, cabin crew can now walk around the cabin.

During landing, it means we are on final approach. So the crew do their last checks on the cabin. And you should be in the position for landing.

On some other airlines like CX. They actually blink the fasten seat belt sign on takeoff and landing (for the purpose of telling the crew that they can start work, and final approach for landing). Sometimes it confuses the passengers who just unlatch the seat belt and go to the toilets.

djw030468

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:43 pm

Quoting Keego (Reply 16):

I've flown both on Emirates, Kuwait Airways and MEA. NONE allow the disgusting habit onboard. Either on the ground or in the air.

djw030468

Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:53 pm

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 28):

MEA does not allow smoking on any of it's flights. Either on the ground or airborne.

flywithjohn

Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:02 pm

I was talking to my grand dad who remembers the days you smoke is cockpit on the DC-6. Then to the pan am 707 rolled in he quite
Always Blue Sky's.....

Leskova

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:41 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 48):
Why is it new aircraft (I mean 6-7 years or younger) that are not likely to ever leave the US (RJs, ERJs, 733s, 73Gs, A319s) still feature no smoking signs that have to be illuminated, as if the no smoking ban is a temporary thing?

Quoting Petmbro (Reply 55):
On my last US flight from DCA-FLL I was on a brand-spankin new A319 and I noticed the no smoking sign was not there.

I've noticed the same as Petmbro, but the sign has certainly been around for quite long after the bans went into effect in some areas...

... but not everywhere: just imagine one of those planes being sold by their US or European owners to an airline that still allows smoking - they'd have to retrofit all those lights (and possibly the switches, etc.) for them; now that there really aren't too many airlines left that actually do allow smoking, I guess the "risk" for second hand customers is small enough... and the reduction in maintenance cost by leaving those lights out is now probably more than the possible retrofitting cost...

Nonetheless - one comment I heard from an Austrian crew on one of my recent flights (they had a new colleague on board who asked about everything) was that whenever those signs were left off (even though announcements were made), people actually started smoking on the planes... so they decided to keep them for the time being...

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

777fan

Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:59 pm

I can remember smoking on UA's ORD-HNL nonstoppers back in the early to mid 80s. The old 747 UD was basically a smoking lounge (before they figured out adding more seats = more revenue). I also recall that the last few rows in Y class were nothing short of a smoker's heaven on the 9 hour trip. It's hard to believe that it was even allowed on an airplane seeing that the risk of fire is/was so great. The seatrest ashtrays were a crapshoot; you just didn't know what you were going to find in there when you got on the plane!

As one that smoked for the better part of 10 years, however, I can attest to the peril of suffering a nicotine fit at seven hours from my destination at 37,000 feet over the North Pacific! Nevertheless, I've since quit and am just as glad it's been long since outlawed in the US and most everywhere else.
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

HAWK21M

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:01 pm

I remember the Nicotine stains on the Air Filters during Mx.
 Smile
Nicotine smoke residue used to help in troubleshooting then.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Marambio

Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:14 pm

Quoting Keego (Reply 19):
It would be horror for a smoker on a 10hr flight not being able to light up!!!

Nah, you get used to it. I tend to fly from Argentina to Europe quite often (the shortest flight is +12 hours) and I simply got used to not smoking on the aircraft. I actually find it good: I cannot stand smoke on closed, small areas such as airplanes - and I am a smoker!

The secret to keep yourself busy. Try reading, watching a movie, listening to some music, chatting with people. If you concentrate on other things, you will forget about cigarettes and won't need to have a smoke. I actually use this method everywhere, not only on aircraft.

I remember Air France back in the late 1990s had a smoker's galley. The problem was it was separated by a courtain from the rest of the plane, thus the smoke would pass onto the main cabin.

However, most of the nicest people I have met at airports, I met them at the smoker's area.  Smile

Saludos,
Marambio
Aerolíneas Argentinas - La Argentina que levanta vuelo

jhooper

Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:26 pm

I don't remember when the first time I flew was, but I guess I was a newborn. I remember when smoking was allowed, and looking back, I can't believe it was ever allowed. You're not going to keep second-hand smoke in the smoking section, and non-smokers have the right to be free from smelling the toxic fumes.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

mandala499

Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:42 pm

Smoked in a 732 carrying pax last week... *hides in cockpit*

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

viv

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:21 pm

Quoting Brink777 (Reply 18):
as long as the health freaks shut up

I am a health freak - and I will NEVER shut up.
Nikon D700, Nikkor 80-400, Fuji X Pro 1, Fujinon 35 f/1.4, Fujinon 18 f/2

sparkingwave

Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:26 pm

I remember that in 1996 I took an AF flight from LAX to CDG. It was a 747-400. I remember in particular they had a special section just for smokers. It was a small space sealed off with blue curtains, kind of like the type you see in the hospital ER. Smokers could go in there and puff away.

In 1991 I took another flight to ORY from ATL on a DL L1011. This plane had a smoking section in the back. A short time after takeoff, passengers were allowed to smoke. I remember seeing one old French lady lounging with a cigarette in hand, and I'll never forget the look of relief on her face when she lighted up. She looked like she was in heaven.

In July 1988 I took a TWA 747 from JFK to CDG, and there was a smoking section in the back too. I don't smoke, but I got a seat in over there because I could get all three seats (window to aisle) to myself and lie down, sleeping. I remember aiming the air jet nozzles, ALL 3 of them down towards me so I could drive away the cigarette smoke. Even with second-hand smoke, I was able to relax in the back and enjoy the flight.

I've never been offended by responsible smokers. But it's still the bad ones who mess it up for everyone else in the plane, rubbing their lighted butts on the plastic panels in the lavs, making ugly burn marks in seat fabric and upholstery, and dumping their ashes wherever...

I also remember reading the story of a widebody jet in Saudi Arabia where a passenger smoked in the lav and dumped a live cigarette in the trash. The lav caught fire and then burned thru the interior of the plane. The pilots were able to land the plane okay, but by then all the passengers had died from smoke inhalation. This was the tragic event that spawned all those anti-smoking rules (in the lavs) and the installation of smoke detectors.

Just think what a resourceful terrorist could do with a lighted cigarette, if an ordinary passenger could cause the deaths of 300 or-so people!

Fuel for thought,

SparkingWave ~~~
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

dj737

Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:28 pm

Hi there

I am a smoker and used to remember when smoking was permitted on the major airlines, I can get thru a flight without smoking OK, but i get the urge about 6-7 hours into a long haul, a large Scotch normally makes this pass.

The head rush when you light up after a SIN-LHR sector is great, and i now look forward to this event  Smile

Cheers
DJ737

YukonTrader

Wed Feb 15, 2006 8:29 pm

Yup guys,

that discussion recalls - mostly unpleasant - memories like that stench of cold tobacco you could hardly get rid of, or of ending up in the last row of the non-smoking section much more often than the laws of probability would suggest. Frankly, bluntly, smoking in crowded aircraft cabins is (was) a pain for many a passenger and crew member being exposed to it.

I also recall what an unbelievable difference it made when I experienced my first non-smoking flights in the US. The cabin felt much more comfortable, especially on long distance and night flights. I waited for the rest of the world to follow suit and I have welcomed the almost global switch to non-smoking flights.

To clarify things: I don't mind a good puff in the form of a Havanna once or twice in a month: Sometimes it feels like a gourmet dinner would be incomplete without a fine wine, an italian coffee, and a cigar rounding it off. But the crucial condition to all those little guilts is that they must not harm any third person: Struictly no driving after a glas of wine, strictly no smoking in the presence of a non-smoker, and strictly no smoking in a room where other people eat, now or later.

Basically, I agree that a grown-up person has the knowledge and maturity to decide for herself / himself whether to smoke or not. It is not my nor anyone else's task to impose my views on her or him. But with smoking in public places, I see the red line which a smoker must be expected to respect in places where his behaviour would cause so-called "passive smoking" of by-standers. As long as smoking is limited to dedicated smoking areas - physically confined if the place is a little cramped - like the ones public places like airport terminals, train stations, restaurants, etc. offer in many countries, then I am totally fine, and I see absolutely no reason to interfere or go further. The key factor is that any person that wants to expose himself to dangerous fumes can step into the smoking area at will and close the door behind his back, leaving the air clean for all the others.

Actually, let me close with the remark that I nowadays feel much more disturbed by the omnipresent nerds yelling their private live into their mobile phones in restaurants, airport lounges, intercity trains, cinemas and supermarkets than by the occasional smoker ("No honey, here it is not raining yet... Yes, I have bought those pills, you know... No, we're still at the platform... Yes, I know... No, soon now... Yes... No... What did he say? Contagious? We've both got chicken pox?... No, still no rain... Yes... Wait, everybody is rushing out of the train, I don't know why...")

Cheers, Lukas

WF2BNN

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:26 pm

Pilots on Nouvelair, Tunisia smokes all the time during flights. Cabin crew also goes in to the flightdeck to have a puff.

I know this because I used to work as a tourist rep. in MIR - and flew a lot with Nouvelair.

Mats in TRD
What goes up, must come down.

Starlionblue

Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:27 pm

There's always smokeless tobacco. The Nordic "snus" bothers no one unless the snuser breathes right in another person's face. And it's been damnably hard to prove there is any connection between snus and cancer, so it's actually better for you than smoking. Now if the EU would just unban it (Nordic countries are excepted from the ban).

Quoting YukonTrader (Reply 69):
Actually, let me close with the remark that I nowadays feel much more disturbed by the omnipresent nerds yelling their private live into their mobile phones in restaurants, airport lounges, intercity trains, cinemas and supermarkets than by the occasional smoker ("No honey, here it is not raining yet... Yes, I have bought those pills, you know... No, we're still at the platform... Yes, I know... No, soon now... Yes... No... What did he say? Contagious? We've both got chicken pox?... No, still no rain... Yes... Wait, everybody is rushing out of the train, I don't know why...")

Lol. Yes no kidding. I'm fine with people talking on their phones but they need to realize the device carries a microphone. There's no need to yell. I love quiet cars on trains. But I'm not above telling people to please lower their voices even in the non quiet cars. I mean, talk, but could you keep it down to a normal conversational tone? I typically get nods of thanks from other travelers when I do this. Metro North in NY sometimes asks people on the phone to please stand in the vestibules, a great policy in my opinion.

Generally, mobile phone talking indicates to me how most people really don't care about their fellow human beings. A modicum of politeness would indicate that you try not to disturb anyone else. I try to keep my voice down, move to somewhere more private, or even don't answer in some cases. Is it really so hard?

And don't get me started on the people who think the only ring tone volume is "earsplitting howl"...

Ok, rant over  Wink
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

manu

Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting EI787 (Reply 23):
Quoting Keego (Reply 20):
Here in Ireland there is a complete blanket ban in smoking in public places ie pubs, restaurants etc and they dont even allow smoking rooms.

And there's no harm in that! The smoking ban in Ireland is a great idea!

Here too in Canada, which I love. I was just in europe and dispised the smokers in areas, as they stunk up the place. I was amazed at the yellow in LHR's T1 smokers area ... as you got closer you saw it turn the ugly yellow brown colour.

As for being "a health nut", far from it. I just don't like you beltching out toxic chemicals into my air. And a no smoking area is like a no peeing area of a pool... eventually, it all mixes together. But human urine is less harmful than smoke, so I'll take my chances in the pool.

Manu

David L

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:11 am

Quoting SparkingWave (Reply 67):
also remember reading the story of a widebody jet in Saudi Arabia where a passenger smoked in the lav and dumped a live cigarette in the trash. The lav caught fire and then burned thru the interior of the plane.

Um... no. I'm not going to condone smoking on aircraft but let's not misplace any blame. Is this the Saudi incident you mean?

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19800819-1

Note: "PROBABLE CAUSE: "The initiation of a fire in the C-3 cargo compartment. The source of the ignition of the fire is undetermined.

Edit: forgot the quote!

[Edited 2006-02-15 16:12:59]

petmbro

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 65):
Smoked in a 732 carrying pax last week... *hides in cockpit*

When smoking was allowed did pilots smoke too?

swissy

Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:47 am

[quote=Petmbro,reply=74]When smoking was allowed did pilots smoke too?

Sure they did just like everyone else, some pilots still do, the good old
1011 was perfect with the lower galley or the 47 which had a upper "lounge".

Had a chance to fly with TK in the cockpit back in the early 90's ZRH-IST-ZRH
man o man did we ever smoke...... LA smog was clean air compare to it......

Cheers,

777jaah

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:22 am

I remember flying AV BOG-UIO in a 757. I'm a very unusual smoker, but the last rows of Y class were smoking, no separation at all from the rest of the cabin. I remember AV had smoking sections until 1998 or 1999 for Intl flights. One curious thing, I asked the FA for matches and she happily gave me a box marked with AV's logo. What a long way we've come from those days................................

Also, I remember flying AF BOG-CDG-BOG, with smoking sections, separated by a curtain, just as others have explain in this thread.

if you ask me, I'm glad most airlines banned smoking.

Good luck
Next flights: AV BOG-ADZ-BOG, AV-UA BOG-IAD-ORD-IAD-BOG, BOG-FLL-BOG, LA BOG-MIA-BOG J

mandala499

Thu Feb 16, 2006 2:59 am

On that flight? Yes... if pax smokes in the cockpit on cockpit visits it should be with the Captain's permission, and it is considered rude to be the only one lighting up... so if the pilots are non-smokers... well, wait till you land.

man o man did we ever smoke...... LA smog was clean air compare to it......

LOL... ever had 4 heavy smokers in a 737 cockpit? The F/A 1 complained because she could smell the cigs in the galley! LOL...

Mandala499
When losing situational awareness, pray Cumulus Granitus isn't nearby !

underminer

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:19 am

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 13):
I rememer a flight with OA two or three years ago. Smoke was allowed on a determinate rows and the first rows of Business Class.

A non smoking policy was applied from Olympic Airways on April 15th 2001, almost 5 years ago...

cedarjet

Mon Feb 20, 2006 8:29 am

Quoting SparkingWave (Reply 67):
I also remember reading the story of a widebody jet in Saudi Arabia where a passenger smoked in the lav and dumped a live cigarette in the trash. The lav caught fire and then burned thru the interior of the plane. This was the tragic event that spawned all those anti-smoking rules (in the lavs) and the installation of smoke detectors.

Wrong, the fire started because of leaking hydraulic fuel. That accident was in 1980, two decades before smoking in the air started to be banned. Smoking was not banned for safety reasons, it's cos it's so gross for nonsmokers (who are the vast majority). I do miss it though.

Smoking is still allowed and happens in most cockpits.

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 77):
LOL... ever had 4 heavy smokers in a 737 cockpit?

My buddy was a Flight Engineer on MEA 707s, and he said there used to be four of them up front, all smoking cigars. Sometimes it got so smokey they had to perform the "smoke evacuation" checklist which opened valves in the pressurised cabin, intended for use in the event of a fire in the cockpit. That's how smokey!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

Sabena332

Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:35 am

Quoting Mandala499 (Reply 77):
so if the pilots are non-smokers... well, wait till you land.

That is the worse that can happen to you as a smoker, a non-smoking cockpit crew.

Some dude who once sat in a jumpseat next to me said: "Actually do I like the jumpseat more for being able to smoke most of the times and not for being able to watch some clowns pressing buttons".

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

santosdumont

Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:03 am

Quoting TheFlyGuy2 (Thread starter):
This was in January, 1989, I was four.

Thanks for making us feel like old geezers  old 

I remember I took an IB flight from MAD to JFK in the late 1970s and even the flight attendants fired up cigarettes on duty
"Pursuit Of Truth No Matter Where It Lies" -- Metallica

WDBRR

Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:05 pm

When I worked in reseravations in the late 80's, I used have to
ask if they wanted smoking or non-smoking for seat assignments.
I think it changed in either late 1988 or 1989. I know smoking was
in the back of the plane and I forget what the seat map looked like.
I have to find my SystemOne manual.

Poitin

Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting EI787 (Reply 23):
Quoting Keego (Reply 20):
Here in Ireland there is a complete blanket ban in smoking in public places ie pubs, restaurants etc and they dont even allow smoking rooms.

And there's no harm in that! The smoking ban in Ireland is a great idea!

Agree! If you want to kill yourself, that is fine, but don't force me to breath your smoke as well.
Now so, have ye time fer a pint?

sparkingwave

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting David L (Reply 73):
let's not misplace any blame. Is this the Saudi incident you mean?

Quoting Cedarjet (Reply 79):
Smoking was not banned for safety reasons, it's cos it's so gross for nonsmokers (who are the vast majority). I do miss it though.

Thanks for the correction. However, I'll still stand by what I said about smoking danger - there is documented proof of someone who died inflight from secondhand cigarette smoke:

http://www.airsafe.com/events/models/boeing.htm

Begin quote:

4 January 1998; Olympic Airways 747; over Atlantic Ocean:
Prior to the flight from Athens to New York, a passenger who had asthma and a history of sensitivity to secondhand smoke requested seating in the non-smoking area of the aircraft. Once onboard, the passenger's family discovered that their assigned seats were three rows ahead of the economy class smoking section. This smoking section was not partitioned off from the non-smoking section. Prior to takeoff and during the flight, one of the passenger's family members made three requests of the cabin crew to switch seats, but the cabin crew did not arrange for a switch into one of the 11 available unoccupied seats on the aircraft. Several hours into the flight, the passenger suffered a reaction to the ambient smoke and died.

A U.S. District Court determined that exposure to ambient second-hand smoke was the primary cause of the passenger's death. The U.S. Supreme Court, in a decision made on 24 February 2004, held that this event constituted an accident under Article 17 of the Warsaw Convention, an international treaty that among other things defines an accident as something that is an “unexpected or unusual event or happening that is external to the passenger.?There were 411 passengers on the flight.

End quote.

Here's also another bit of info you should know before lighting up another smoke.

http://www.smoking-cessation.org/quit_smoking_guide_4.asp

Begin quote:

1,475 Deaths Per Day

If three commercial 747 jumbo jets were to crash every day for an entire year, it would certainly make front-page news. And deservedly so, for this would add up to about 540,000 deaths per year. But according to one current estimate, the number of premature deaths caused or accelerated by cigarette smoking works out to the same number. This adds up to 1,475 deaths per day. Other experts have estimated the number of excess deaths at 350,000 per year, ¡°merely¡± 1,000 excess deaths per day.

If you knew that three jumbo jets would go down in flames today, you would probably be extremely wary about boarding a commercial airliner. Yet 54 million smokers light up every day, most of them without a second thought.

End Quote.

Fuel for thought,

SparkingWave ~~~

[Edited 2006-02-20 19:25:03]
Flights to the moon and all major space stations. At Pan Am, the sky is no longer the limit!

sparkingwave

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:30 am

Here's another stat:

http://www.smoking-cessation.org/quit_smoking_guide_4.asp

Begin quote:

On December 24, 1983, a fire caused by a passenger¡¯s cigarette led to the crash landing of a Chinese plane at Guangzhou, killing 23 people. China immediately banned smoking on all internal flights, becoming the first country in the world to do so.

End quote.

SparkingWave ~~~

boeingguy1

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:50 am

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 71):
I typically get nods of thanks from other travelers when I do this.

Heres a true story:
When I was visiting NYC in 2003, heading out to Long Island on the LIRR, a man was being very loud on his phone. Someone yelled at him to keep it down. *WHACK*. That man would never tell someone else to keep quiet again... and what did the other passengers do? Laugh.
"...Gatwick South!? Id rather crash in Brighton!"

brink777

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:16 am

Quoting Viv (Reply 66):

good for you will live forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers

Starlionblue

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:19 am

Quoting Boeingguy1 (Reply 86):
Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 71):
I typically get nods of thanks from other travelers when I do this.

Heres a true story:
When I was visiting NYC in 2003, heading out to Long Island on the LIRR, a man was being very loud on his phone. Someone yelled at him to keep it down. *WHACK*. That man would never tell someone else to keep quiet again... and what did the other passengers do? Laugh.

Well, first of all doing it on the LIRR isn't really conducive to a long life  Wink

Also, I tend to ask very politely, not yell. There is no point responding to rudeness with more rudeness.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

N1120A

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:23 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 33):
Most airlines eventually went along with the ban as it meant they didn't have to deal with fights between smokers and non-smokers, their cabin crew had a reduction in illness absences, didn't have to play musical seat with balancing smokers/non-smokers, cleaner cabins, cleaner cabin air systems, as well as reductions in the level of use and maintence and therefore the costs of operating the cabin air systems

Why is it new aircraft (I mean 6-7 years or younger) that are not likely to ever leave the US (RJs, ERJs, 733s, 73Gs, A319s) still feature no smoking signs that have to be illuminated, as if the no smoking ban is a temporary thing? Smoking is gone forever on US domestic flights, so why bother with the illuminated sign and not a more permanent sign that doesn't involve lights?

Quoting Petmbro (Reply 55):
The usual seatbelt sign is there but I noticed something different in its place but at the time I didn't really pay attention to it.

Many newer planes now have a "no cell phones" or "no electronic devices" sign in place of the smoking sign

Quoting SparkingWave (Reply 84):
4 January 1998; Olympic Airways 747; over Atlantic Ocean:

That case cost OA a $2 million USD judgment plus the legal fees they racked up. Needless to say they banned smoking
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

brink777

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:46 am

it might not be banned forever you never know never say never airlines might come up with smoking flights for smokers only or a smokers gally hopefully AIRBUS will on the A380

[Edited 2006-02-20 22:47:36]

Gr8Circle

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:51 am

Yes!!

brink777

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting TheFlyGuy2 (Thread starter):
Does anyone remember when smoking was allowed on airplanes?

i miss the good old days

tommy767

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:29 pm

I remember my dad telling me about how he flew to london for business JFK-LHR and it was a smoking flight but ONLY in first class. He remembers how bad it was being able to try to sleep even with bulkhead seats because of the smell. This was the early 1990s I believe.

Tommy in EWR/LAX.
"KEEP CLIMBING" -- DELTA

wdleiser

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:40 pm

For those preaching about the number of deaths each day from smoking ciggarettes

Tell me how many people die each day in car crashes please. I think its wrong to smoke in a sealed off area. I think it is ok to smoke in a bar. Bar tenders know what they are getting into when they apply at a bar, they need to take some responsibility too. I hate health freaks that come up and treat smokers as if they are bad people.

brink777

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:34 am

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 94):
For those preaching about the number of deaths each day from smoking ciggarettes

Tell me how many people die each day in car crashes please. I think its wrong to smoke in a sealed off area. I think it is ok to smoke in a bar. Bar tenders know what they are getting into when they apply at a bar, they need to take some responsibility too. I hate health freaks that come up and treat smokers as if they are bad people.

I just added you to my resp list!!!!!!!!

max999

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting Wdleiser (Reply 94):

Not a very good analogy.

Many car crashes are unpreventable...that's why they're called accidents. However, all smoking-related deaths are preventable.

[Edited 2006-02-21 19:26:59]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

Delta767300ER

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:30 am

Quote:
I remember those days. I still smoke, but I can handle a flight without lighting up, but you know, it'd be nice if they gave us smokers a place in an AIRPORT where we might light up prior to boarding. Too many places, you have to go outside the security area, have a smoke, and then reclear security.

ATL has several designated smoking lounges in the concourses. I hate smoking and support no smoking on a/c but I agree that ALL airports need designated smoking areas inside secured areas. Now if we can just get the airlines to un-ban smokeless tobacco on flights everything will be fine.

-Delta767300ER

Starlionblue

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:43 am

Quoting Delta767300ER (Reply 97):
Now if we can just get the airlines to un-ban smokeless tobacco on flights everything will be fine.

I don't smoke and I dislike smoking passively. But I agree that smokeless tobacco doesn't bother anyone else. So why ban it? Then again, you won't have problems on Finnair or SAS. Smokeless tobacco is probably bigger than smoking in Sweden and Norway at least.

andaman

Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:51 am

Actually selling smokeless tobacco (can it be called snuff, the stuff you put under your upper lip?) is prohibitted in EU, because of the mouth cancer risk and other health risks. It is quite heavy stuff, LOT of nicotine. Sweden has made a deal it still can be sold there.
Chinese cookie in SFO: "You're doomed to a life of forever travelling abroad and to be able to afford it!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos