[email protected]
Topic Author

WW: EMA-EDI + EMA-GLA

Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:26 am

WW flies:

EMA-EDI:

3x flights on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday; 2x flights on Tuesday and Sunday; and 1x flight on Saturday.

EMA-GLA:

3x flights Monday-Friday; 2x flights on Sunday; 1x flight Saturday.

Those are surprisingly good frequencies for WW, especially as the flights are operated by the 737 (which series?). Does anyone know how the routes perform in terms of profitability, yields and loads?

I realise U2 used to operate EMA-EDI/GLA. What frequency did they have?

Cheers.

[Edited 2006-02-15 16:28:35]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Orion737

RE: WW: EMA-EDI + EMA-GLA

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:30 am

These routes replaced BD Regional services EMA-EDI and EMA-GLA. The frequency is necessary for busibness travellers who make up the vast majority of passengers on this route.

I have flown EMA-EDI a few times on WW and the aircraft has only been at most 50% full. The ERJ145 was better suited to the regular but not huge business travellers using these routes.

It is a good example of where BD Regional could be working and getting good yield with their smaller aircraft.

Humberside

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:35 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 1):
I have flown EMA-EDI a few times on WW and the aircraft has only been at most 50% full. The ERJ145 was better suited to the regular but not huge business travellers using these routes.

It is a good example of where BD Regional could be working and getting good yield with their smaller aircraft.

Like they've done with CDG and BRU. Belfast could also be operated by regional instead of baby, moving from BFS to BHD.

However any route moving from baby to regional would need a large number of business passengers to make it worthwhile. I assume a regional ERJ is more expensive to run than a baby B737 so moving a route to regional would need good yields to make it worthwhile
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

mhodgson

Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:50 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 1):

50% on a 737 is more than 100% on an ERJ, though (assuming the 735 has 132 seats). If they get their yield management right, they could make quite a bit of money on the flights, as if they average 50% full, there is plenty of space for last minute passengers who will also pay quite a lot as a result.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

7LBAC111

Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:00 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 3):

Exactly. Like they have with MAN-BFS. What is it, 4 times daily now, with BA 6x daily and now BE 3x daily?
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

ScottishLaddie

Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:04 am

EZY dropped EMA-EDI due to poor yields, although they were getting high loads. Not sure what WW's prices are like on the route...

Orion737

Thu Feb 16, 2006 5:06 am

The EMA-EDI and EMA-GLA routes are largely used by business passengers who require good frequencies so as to arrange the most convenient day return flights.

I cannot understand BMIs logic in transfering these routes to BMIbaby. BMIbaby primarily serve leisure destinations or destinations with a large leisure market. The multiple daily flights from EMA-EDI and GLA are ideally suited to the ERJ145 and BMI Regional and their two class product.

Humberside

Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting Orion737 (Reply 6):
I cannot understand BMIs logic in transfering these routes to BMIbaby. BMIbaby primarily serve leisure destinations or destinations with a large leisure market. The multiple daily flights from EMA-EDI and GLA are ideally suited to the ERJ145 and BMI Regional and their two class product.

At the time EDI and GLA went to WW, all of bmi regional's remaining EMA routes went to baby, regardless of the routes characteristics. This included BRU, which will be almost all business passengers. Obviously BRU (and later CDG) have moved back to regional because there is hardly any leisure travel (particularly in the case of BRU). Perhaps in time, bmi will transfer more business orientated routes back to regional. At the moment however I suspect they wish to try and increase leisure/tourist traffic on the route by using WW to operate it. Also a short hop to EDI or GLA can help to increase the utilisation of baby's fleet instead of dedicating an Embrear to the route
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

by738

Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 3):
assuming the 735 has 132 seats

WW 735's have 131 seats

BMED

Thu Feb 16, 2006 6:31 am

How come BD haven't used the regional fleet in expanding MAN into a hub, flights to smaller airports such as INV etc. Would surely then give them a well established base. I have never really understood fully the reason why our larger airlines don't copy ideas such as American Eagle (i know there is a large difference in fleet size and country size)
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos