Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Aviacentre
Topic Author

Aloha Emerges From Ch. 11 Today (2/17)

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:33 pm

Good news!

Aloha Airlines is emerging from Chapter 11 bankruptcy on Friday. I'm glad to hear they're getting back on track... Hope they're ready for Mesa!

Thoughts?
Proud Graduate of UND Aerospace

aloha73g

RE: Aloha Emerges From Ch. 11 Today (2/17)

Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:56 pm

Just saw a TV news report on KHNL. They had a big party for the employees tonight to celebrate. Everyone seems glad that this phase is over and the next phase is begining.

Aloha should do very well now...they have alot of resources to work with now and substantially reduced costs.

Good Luck!!!

Mesa? Bring it!!

-Aloha!!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

HALFA

Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:28 pm

Quoting Aloha73g (Reply 1):
Mesa? Bring it!!

Amen!

HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

aloha73g

Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:37 pm

Here are the local news articles:

http://starbulletin.com/2006/02/17/news/story02.html
http://starbulletin.com/2006/02/17/business/story01.html
http://honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/p...20060217/BUSINESS03/602170330/1071

Key Points:
1. They will officially be out of Ch. 11 at about noon Hawai'i Time
2. CEO Banmiller has signed a long term contract
3. "Fleet Mix" is under review, but they are commited to 737s for now
4. New mainland flights/routes are in the works...extensions of existing mainland routes
5. Another Orange County flight will be added in April (affiriming the SNA slot discussion the other day)
6. A new ad-campaign will begin on Sunday!!!

I'm so excited. Looks like its going to be a good year for Aloha, and Hawai'i's hometown airlines!!

It's been a tumultuous 14 months, but I think its been productive!

Good Luck to Aloha and Hawaiian...2006 looks to be a banner year for aviation in Hawai'i.

-ALOOOOOOOOOOHA!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

wedgetail737

Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:07 pm

I'm glad to hear that all of the Hawaiian airlines will be out of bankruptcy as of today. With HA expanding and AQ soon to expand, they'll give Mesa a run for their money.

I don't think Mesa will be capable of putting AQ and/or HA out of business. There's too much HA/AQ pride in Hawaii.

Unfortunately, I think Mesa will be capable of putting Island Air out of business. But I hope I'm dead wrong.

To a good 2006 for all HI-based airlines...HA, AQ, Island Air and Pacific Wings.

Trvlr

Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:08 am

Anyone notice the E-190 model in Aloha colors in the photo in the first StarBulletin article?

Aaron G.

leelaw

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:55 am

Here's the article in FI:

http://flightinternational.com/Artic...s+the+tide+at+Aloha+Airlines+.html

Quoting Trvlr (Reply 5):
Anyone notice the E-190 model in Aloha colors in the photo in the first StarBulletin article?

Aaron G.

Thanx for pointing that out.  Smile Perhaps the reporter didn't know enough about aircraft to ask Banmiller about the significance (if any) of the model?
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

hawaiian717

Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:05 am

Quoting Leelaw (Reply 6):
Thanx for pointing that out. Smile Perhaps the reporter didn't know enough about aircraft to ask Banmiller about the significance (if any) of the model?

This is not the first time the model has shown up in photos...

Quoting Flight International:
Honolulu locals recall that in the bad old days when island society was strictly segregated along ethnic, racial and class lines, the old 'TPA' was seen as 'the people's airline'. Local lore has it that on some airlines, native Hawaiians were removed from flights to make room for a visitor or a westerner - but not on 'TPA'.

This may have happened, but it didn't play out as described here. It would have happened during World War II, when the US military controlled air travel in Hawaii. So if native Hawaiians were removed from flights for westerners, it was because the military told Hawaiian to do so, not because of Hawaiian's own decision. TPA didn't start until after World War II.

aloha73g

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:16 pm

Quoting Hawaiian717 (Reply 7):
This may have happened, but it didn't play out as described here. It would have happened during World War II, when the US military controlled air travel in Hawaii. So if native Hawaiians were removed from flights for westerners, it was because the military told Hawaiian to do so, not because of Hawaiian's own decision. TPA didn't start until after World War II.

I am not sure why or how this ended up in an article about their emergence from Ch. 11, but the actual story is that during WWII Hawaiian Airlines did often deny transportation to locals because the military had 1st dibs on seats. SO, when TPA/Aloha started after WWII they were perceived by locals as an alternative to Hawaiian who (by no fault of their own) could not provide enough service for locals during the war. Alot of older people have this mentality and still refuse to fly Hawaiian for this reason....I know they're out there because I've met them and talked to them.

-Aloha!

ha763

Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:53 pm

Quoting Trvlr (Reply 5):

I've said this in another thread, a model is no indication of what an airline will order. Former HA CEO, Paul Casey, had a 757-200 in HA's old livery sitting on a coffee table in his office.

Quoting Leelaw (Reply 6):
Thanx for pointing that out. Perhaps the reporter didn't know enough about aircraft to ask Banmiller about the significance (if any) of the model?

The reporter isn't an airline nut and wouldn't notice the difference .

wedgetail737

Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:13 pm

Aloha73G, I hope we will hear news of AQ expansion soon. I would love to see the return of daily service to Kona from 4X weekly and the return of OAK-LIH.

Will AQ be acquiring additional 737-700's?

aloha73g

Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:04 pm

Quoting Wedgetail737 (Reply 10):
Will AQ be acquiring additional 737-700's?

It sounds like they will be. To add another Orange County flight they will need another aircraft unless it is a red-eye or they are eliminating another flight. If they add more mainland flights....as they said they would...then they would definately need more 73Gs.

-Aloha!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos