Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dotcom
Topic Author

IB Forget To Load 100 Pax Bags

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:30 am

I was one of the lucky 100+ pax who Iberia 'forgot' to load our bags on the IB3162 MAD - LHR on Saturday. We're now having a complete battle to get our luggage back - we've phoned IB 4 times they have located 1 bag but as yet are unable to locate the other and they have no plans to get them back to us before next week. The service is shocking and I'm interested in anyones comments or ideas of how I can get my luggage back?

LH417AF025

RE: IB Forget To Load 100 Pax Bags

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:32 am

This kind of thing happends all the time. The captain is given the choice to either... have a delay of XXX amount of time waiting for bags.... OR an ontime departure...
On that day... I am guessing he went with the ontime departure (or pseudo ontime knowing Iberia)

copter808

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:36 am

It does happen sometimes, usually when someone forgets to load a cart or "can". Sometimes some of the bags will be brought to the ramp area early and the loading crew isn't aware or forgets they are there. There is little excuse for them not being on the next flight though, and NO excuse for them being unable to lacate them.

Beaucaire

Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:45 am

Iberia has one of the worst passenger-satisfaction ratings in Europe.
Operating from a dominant position to and from Madrid ,the company has a long way to go before reaching service-levels comming even close to those of asian airlines.
Madrid infrastructure is good but terminal-buildings without service or smiles are no good !!
Barajas is top on the list for lost,stolen or mis-routes luggage-best way is to go through Barajas with hand-luggage only or check in and out again to be sure the suitcase makes the connecting flight.
It's a pity because Spain is such a great country- why can't Iberia add to the overal good picture of Spain by just trying to become more professional !
Please respect animals - don't eat them...

sk601

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 3):
Barajas is top on the list for lost,stolen or mis-routes luggage

In the latest statistics from AEA KLM was ranked WORST of all airlines in Europe when it comes to baggage handling, so I think AMS is on top of the list for lost luggage. KL excuse was that KL has %-wise more transferpassengers than any other airline in Europe and therfore more chances to loose baggage than airlines with a lot of point-to-point traffic.

andessmf

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:46 am

I remember a movie from long time ago, where I still use the following quote:

'I'm not retarded, just a little slow, few problems...'

Seems to apply well to this situation.

AR385

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:52 am

It's just another one of those Iberia stories you always hear.

Aside from what Dotcom and LH417AF025, sometimes it's a weight or bulk-out issue. Either take with you all the passengers and all the cargo, or leave behind luggage. Luggage? Cargo? Passsengers? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

Depends on the airline. During the Southern summer, AR consistently arrived in EZE from MAD without the luggage of more than 120 passengers on average, when they flew with their B-747-287's. Air Pullmantur at least made a stop on the Canary islands on their supposedly "nonstop" flights, but always arrived with passengers and their luggage. The same thing used to happen with IB in MEX, during the Summer, until they started flying with their A-340's.

Icaro

Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:04 am

The new T4 has begun to work just two weeks ago. There are still some issues with the SATE, the automated baggage system, and these kind of things are likely to happen for a while.
I hope you get them back soon.

lasbagman

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:40 am

The bags may not have been loaded due to weight and balance issues. This happens to every airline. I am baggage service agent and can attest to it.
More then likely your calls have not been returned is that the agents are trying to locate your bags and set them up for delivery. Getting calls every few minutes, just delays the process. That is why some airlines have a central # to call.

IB787

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:54 am

Those kind of news are only interesting if the carrier is IB. It seems that nobody loses their luggage in other airlines and everybody lose them when they fly IB. As a Spaniard, the airline that I've flown the most is IB and they never lost my luggage. All big airlines lose hundreds of bags everyday but I only read threads about IB as if it was the only airline that loses luggage: please be more fair.

MGASJO

Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting Dotcom (Thread starter):
IB3162 MAD - LHR

Quoting Lasbagman (Reply 8):
The bags may not have been loaded due to weight and balance issues

Very unlikely on this route to be weight restricted enough to leave 100 bags behind!

As a baggage service agent here in MGA, I can tell you only the flight that has permanent issues with bags every single day of the year is IB6123 MAD-MIA... If you take this flight and onto any other part after MIA, you are 95% certain that your bag will not make it!
Endless Reserve

EZEIZA

Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:20 pm

If I'm not mistaken, something similar happened a couple of years ago, during the summer season, also with IB. I can't remember the details but I remember it ws all over Spanish news back then that IB had not loaded luggage of several flights. Anyone remember this in detail?
Also Southern Winds (A4) had some luggage problems (no, not the narco bags!), but this was according to some friends of mine travelling from MAD to EZE who told me that most of the pax landed and their bags were still at MAD.

regards  Smile
Carp aunque ganes o pierdas ...

Tango-Bravo

Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:32 pm

My first thought when seeing the title of this topic for the first time was...

Has IB turned their MAD ramp operations over to Menzies? Wink Brought back memories of the first few weeks of Alaska's SEA debacle after Menzies took over the ramp there.

TriStar500

Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:55 pm

Passenger in London, baggage in Luanda, you know how it's going... Big grin
Homer: Facts are meaningless. You could use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!

rootsair

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:02 am

Quoting IB787 (Reply 9):
Those kind of news are only interesting if the carrier is IB. It seems that nobody loses their luggage in other airlines and everybody lose them when they fly IB. As a Spaniard, the airline that I've flown the most is IB and they never lost my luggage. All big airlines lose hundreds of bags everyday but I only read threads about IB as if it was the only airline that loses luggage: please be more fair.

same here !
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Chiguire

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:16 am

Quoting IB787 (Reply 9):
about IB as if it was the only airline that loses luggage: please be more fair.

Of course these things happen to every airline. And it is not only IB when they are posted.
Main reason why they are posted when it is IB is that IB treats the passengers that bad that you just HAVE to post it.

But, ananyway. As in all other cases when there is a problem, remember the Iberia slogan: "It's always a fault of the passenger". And if they are not kind to you it is because you were not kind to them...(just stating an a.net member...)

And these are the reasons why such things are posted here...the attitude of (most) IB people.

Leezyjet

Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:56 am

Quoting AR385 (Reply 6):
Either take with you all the passengers and all the cargo, or leave behind luggage. Luggage? Cargo? Passsengers? Decisions, decisions, decisions.

In EVERY ariline I worked with, the offload priority is :-

1. Stby Pax bags
2. Stby Pax
3. Cargo
4. Mail/Courier
5. Rev Pax bags
6. Rev Pax

so as you see, bags and passengers are at the bottom of the list meaning that everything above should be offloaded first.

When I worked at Bmi, the loaders decided on the 23rd of December that they were on a go slow and didn't bring any bags out to any of the first few flights of the day. I held my flight for 40 mins, and oly received 4 bags out of 150. We then left without the remaining bags. By 1000 there were 4,000 bags left behind. There were so many bags, they had to send them to their destinations by truck as they couldn't get them on later flights as it was so close to Xmas.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

L-188

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:12 am

It sounds like a lot but you figure that there is 50 bags on a cart, I can easily seeing two carts getting lost in the bagwell or on the ramp.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ikramerica

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting IB787 (Reply 9):
It seems that nobody loses their luggage in other airlines and everybody lose them when they fly IB.

Yeah, I agree. While IB doesn't have the best rep, it's not like they are the only ones losing bags.

I fly CO all the time, and have never had a bag lost or delayed with them, ever, despite 100,000s of thousands of miles. Yet they aren't rated the highest in the USA.

I flew HA one trip and they mishandled my bag, though it did come on the next flight (before I even left KOA airport!). They are rated the highest in the USA for baggage handling.

So for me: over 100 segments on CO, no bags lost; 5 segments on HA, 1 bag lost. Go by that and HA sucks...

So, individual accounts can't accurately portray the whole airline industry.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

IBERIA747

Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 10):
I can tell you only the flight that has permanent issues with bags every single day of the year is IB6123 MAD-MIA... If you take this flight and onto any other part after MIA, you are 95% certain that your bag will not make it!

Then blame MIA handling for it. I think they are AA's personnel or someone else's.

Btw I flew through MIA lots of times during the MIA-IB hub years (lived in Guatemala for 6 years) and my bags always arrived with me to my final destination.

Btw here are a few numbers that most of you will find interesting.

These are a few European airlines and their lost-baggage ratings for 2005:

1.KLM................19,1 lost bags for every 1000 pax. Carried 21,7 million pax.
2.British Airways..17,7 lost bags for every 1000 pax. Carried 44,7 million pax.
3.Austrian..........16,4 lost bags for every 1000 pax. Carried 10,2 million pax.
4.Lufthansa........16,3 lost bags for every 1000 pax. Carried 52,2 million pax.
5.Iberia..............15,3 lost bags for every 1000 pax. Carried 33,0 million pax.

Do you hear people always complaining because KL, BA or LH lost their luggage? No. But when it's IB they immediately come up with "how much IB sucks because they always loose luggage".

Quoting Chiguire (Reply 15):
And if they are not kind to you it is because you were not kind to them...(just stating an a.net member...)

I bet the member who said this was one of those IB bashers that is specially rude when approaching an IB employee.

C'mon people. I am not defending IB to death and when I don't like something about them I always say it.

What I mean is that people shouldn't criticize IB just because it's IB. As IB787 mentioned...be fair.

I like IB since they are the most important carrier in Spanish aviation (however, my favourite airline happens to be Delta) and at the same time I am quite aware that they should improve their standars on several areas as many other carriers.

In fact I HATE Fernando Conte and Angel Mullor and the way they are managing the airline. They are so obsessed with the cost cutting thing that IB has even stopped playing the safety demonstration videos on short flights and now you see the entire demonstration performed by cabin crew members as was the normal thing a few years ago. The reason? because they don't want to spend money in maintenance for the LCD screens system (according to an IB employee). Yes, I have noticed that now you see younger and nicer crews (I would LOVE to see that girl working on the BCN-MAD on Feb 5th again), but an airline is much more than that. Nicer crews but no free food/beverages and no video on short flights? Wait a moment!! that's Easyjet!!

How about their decision to suddenly stop with the process to hire new pilots in 2004? As a result of this, IB cancelled 14,500 flight hours (about 6,000 or 7,000 flights or more) in 2005 due to lack of pilots.

While this occurs, IB has more managers and directors than aircraft in it's fleet. I guess Mr. Conte and Mr. Mullor should think about where to cut costs first...

I know that there are thousands of employees among the 26,000 or 29,000 people working for IB that seem to LOVE their job, and we have some of them here on these forums (Bullpit, Fermarta, Iberia340600, Icaro among others) and that's great for the company. I just wish that Conte and Mullor had the same spirit. This "cost-cutting" obsession is not the key to compete with their rivals...not as long as they remain cutting them in the wrong areas.
¡¡VIVA ESPAÑA!!

MGASJO

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:27 am

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 19):
Then blame MIA handling for it. I think they are AA's personnel or someone else's

I would blame them. But turns out that most these bags in question stay in MAD. They send them the next day with expedite tags.
Endless Reserve

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:43 am

I got an email at the office today from IB congratulating everybody because their sales in Portugal had risen 44% in Jan 2006 over the previous year. Personally I think that this has more to do with IB having some of the lowest fares on the market rather than a reputation for sterling service. But then some people are never happy, not only do they want low fares, they actually want to have their suitcase travel with them.  Wink
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

AA717driver

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:13 am

When we were in MAD in November, there were a couple of large piles (looked like 50 or so per mound) of luggage out on the ramp at the new (unopened) terminal where we parked. We were in and out of there for three days and the bags remained there exposed to the weather.

I'm not saying they belonged to IB but they belonged to someone. TC
FL450, M.85

anxebla

Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:50 am

Quoting Beaucaire (Reply 3):
Operating from a dominant position to and from Madrid

Dominant? That word is key to understand the Air France's ops from/to Paris Big grin ...and I like very much your national flag airline, Beaucaire.

Quoting SK601 (Reply 4):
KLM was ranked WORST of all airlines in Europe when it comes to baggage handling, so I think AMS is on top of the list for lost luggage.

Yes, indeed ...at least in my own case the only time which an airline lost me my baggage was KLM 4 years ago in a CCS-AMS-MAD flight.

Quoting IBERIA747 (Reply 19):
I just wish that Conte and Mullor had the same spirit.

I wonder why Xabier de Irala left IB, in my opinion he was the best Iberia CEO.

Quoting AA717driver (Reply 22):
When we were in MAD in November, there were a couple of large piles (looked like 50 or so per mound) of luggage out on the ramp at the new (unopened) terminal where we parked.

AENA was using empty suitcases to test the SATE system in T-4
AIRBUS 320 The world's most advanced single-aisle aircraft

miaskies

Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:07 pm

IB "customer service" problems are known... anyone that has flown MIA-MAD on IB knows that!

not a shocker...
Crosscheck Complete :)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos