Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Humberside
Topic Author

Air Wales Drop Routes Before They Start

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:19 am

Following on from my post in the MAN thread, the Air Wales website no longer allows you to book the following routes

MAN/JER-Rennes
CWL-BHD/Paris BVA

Im not surprised they have dropped BVA and the Rennes routes. They would struggle to compete with WW to CDG and their name wont help them to attract passengers on the Rennes route. I wouldnt be surprised if they drop Waterford-Rennes before long

However Air Wales seem to be making chopping and changing routes a regular habit and are fast becoming a laughing stock, although you could argue they lost their reputation a long time ago

Are Aer Arran still going to start CWL-BHD(+DUB)?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

md90fan

RE: Air Wales Drop Routes Before They Start

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:23 am

What type of aircraft was to be used on these routes?
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

Humberside
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 1):
What type of aircraft was to be used on these routes?

ATR-42

oneworld1

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Humberside (Thread starter):

With regard to Waterford-Rennes, I believe that WAT doesn't know about this service (!!) Is it on the 6G site?

Humberside
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:37 am

Yes, and its bookable

smokeyrosco

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:09 am

Quoting Oneworld1 (Reply 3):
I believe that WAT doesn't know about this service

Rennes does. http://www.rennes.aeroport.fr/
John Hancock

tangoecho

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:40 pm

On a differen't note..

Air Wales has dropped Aberdeen-Newcastle route.   

They didn't seem to advertise any of their routes at all, and they cancelled quite alot of flights during there short spell hence the bad pax figures.   

Stu...

[Edited 2006-02-21 15:42:41]
Contact Aberdeen tower on 118.10 G'day.

aireuropeuk733

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:49 am

Are the management related to BMI by any chance  Wow!

AE733
It's nice to fly with friends

Christa

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:53 am

As much as I'd like to see Air Wales work, under the current owner they will cease to exist within the next few months. Instead of concentrating on routes that have good passengers figures and increasing frequency on them, they launch random routes with a very small market.

Take for example the CWL-NCL route, that should be a 3x daily with an early morning departure from CWL, an afternoon service and an evening service.

As for Aer Arran @ CWL, I don't think they are going to be launching flights.

Regards,
Chris
Croeso i Faes Awyr Rhyngwladol Caerdydd - Welcome to Cardiff International Airport

tangoecho

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:22 am

Quoting Christa (Reply 8):
Take for example the CWL-NCL route, that should be a 3x daily with an early morning departure from CWL, an afternoon service and an evening service.

I also think Air wales could easily have competed with Eastern on the Newcastle-Aberdeen route (increasing frequency and advertising). The prices Eastern charges compared to what air wales charged, Air Wales should of cleaned up.

Stu...

Crosswind

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:38 am

Quoting Tangoecho (Reply 9):
I also think Air wales could easily have competed with Eastern on the Newcastle-Aberdeen route (increasing frequency and advertising). The prices Eastern charges compared to what air wales charged, Air Wales should of cleaned up.

Stu...

I honestly think one of the major barriers to expansion for Air Wales at the moment is the name. It's far too region-specific in people's minds, not a problem when operating to/from Wales, but is Air Wales going to spring to someone's mind when looking on the internet booking Aberdeen-Newcastle or Manchester-Rennes?

I can see Air Wales popping up in people's Google search results and them skipping straight over it if their intended route isn't to or from Wales. Their marketing would have to be very strong to overcome pre-conceived geographical notions about their route network, which for a carrier their size is virtually impossible to achieve.

True, there are successful "regional" sounding airlines in the UK market, Air Southwest and Eastern Airways for example but their names don't give the impression they only fly to one place to the extent that Air Wales does, at least to the less-well informed traveller.

Air Wales is a great name for an airline looking to expand a regional network from Wales, but the company has tried that will a resuounding lack of success over the last few years. In looking elswhere for expansion, I think a new name should at least be considered.

Jersey European had to do it when they became British European, and that was one of the reasons cited, your average passenger seemed to believe they only flew to Jersey - just from the name!

In the old days of CRS' and booking flights via travel agents it didn't really matter, they'd type your intended route into the system and it would bring up the carrier that flew it, regardless of name. Now you have to go onto the individual airlines websites for the majority of low-cost bookings, so if you search Manchester-Rennes and Google brings up Air Wales your average passenger may well skip it as a mistake, after all not every result from an internet search is actually relevant is it?

Regards
CROSSWIND

tangoecho

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:56 am

Quoting Crosswind (Reply 10):

Very good point  checkmark 

Stu...  airplane 

mainMAN

Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:07 am

Quoting Crosswind (Reply 10):

Precisely the conclusion I've come to.

I've been trying to think of an alternative name/branding, and I can't, unless it's something like UK West, or Western (not very imaginative!)