Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LO231
Topic Author

Help Needed One Day Trip Out Of CHI Area

Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:05 pm

Hi!

I'll be visiting Chicago in April and I thought while there I would like to make a day trip to visit places I normally wouldn't on an airline I don't get to fly too often in Europe...

I found flights on NW to MSP for 116 EUR (+/- USD 138.00) taxes included (D9S and 752).

Anybody has another ideas as where to go for a cheap fare? You know, not too big of a city but interesting enough to visit for a day..? The date is 10th or 11th of April.

Any input much appreciated!

Regards,
LO231
Got both LO 788 frames already, next LO E95 and 734 BRU-WAW-BRU

KaiGywer

RE: Help Needed One Day Trip Out Of CHI Area

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:44 pm

Quoting LO231 (Thread starter):
I found flights on NW to MSP for 116 EUR (+/- USD 138.00) taxes included (D9S and 752).

Well, if you like shopping, you could spend the day at the Mall of America, but aside from that, there's not much to do in Mpls that you can't see in Chicago as well (Science Museum, Zoo, etc...need a car for those anyways). The MoA is just down the light rail, and it'll cost you $1.50 or so each way.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

LO231
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:49 pm

No, I just used MSP as an example, because I know somebody who lives there and can show me around, or we'd just go to a pub or something. Not into shopping that much, I just came back from MIA and I think I've seen enough malls this year... ( Dolphin and Mall of the Americas come to mind )

I was only wondering about other possibilities, and, of course, flying is the most important thing on that day, hehe. I could see a lot of NW colours in MSP, couldn't I?  Wink

Thanks for the reply though !

Best regards,
LO231

KaiGywer

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:00 pm

Quoting LO231 (Reply 2):
No, I just used MSP as an example, because I know somebody who lives there and can show me around, or we'd just go to a pub or something. Not into shopping that much, I just came back from MIA and I think I've seen enough malls this year... ( Dolphin and Mall of the Americas come to mind )

Well then it's different of course. Then again, if it was me, I would head south rather than north at that time of year  Wink

Quoting LO231 (Reply 2):
I was only wondering about other possibilities, and, of course, flying is the most important thing on that day, hehe. I could see a lot of NW colours in MSP, couldn't I?

Yeah, and not much else.
“Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, an

LO231
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:35 pm

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 3):
Quoting LO231 (Reply 2):
I was only wondering about other possibilities, and, of course, flying is the most important thing on that day, hehe. I could see a lot of NW colours in MSP, couldn't I?

Yeah, and not much else.

Well, I don't see them a lot here, so for me it's different, hehe.

I also have friends in ATL, but the fares are higher and I'm not sure if I could make it in one day... Could I?

Regards,
LO231

747luvr

Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:41 pm

CLE is a quick hop from MDW, you could fly Southwest and back for a day. When I USED to live in CLE, I took a few day trip hops over to Chicago. For a trip on a weds. (4/11/06) leaving MDW at 635am, arr CLE 845a, return leaving CLE 845pm arr. MDW 9pm $97.10 USD incl. taxes. In Cleveland, you have the rock hall pf fame, the science museum, and its a nice city to visit for a day. Good Luck!

StarAlly

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:15 pm

Well some possibilities are Indianapolis, Detroit, St. Louis, Memphis, or Columbus (OH). You may even find a good deal with an east coast or something in Washington DC region.
Aaron Jason

BUFjets

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:22 pm

Southwest offers fares as low as $39.00 each way plus taxes and fees for flights from MDW to Buffalo, NY. From there, you could rent a car and see Niagara Falls. It's only about a 30 minute drive from the Buffalo airport.

If you go, I would suggest getting some Chicken Wings. Buffalo is known for them.

LO231
Topic Author

Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:23 pm

Quoting 747LUVR (Reply 5):
For a trip on a weds. (4/11/06) leaving MDW at 635am, arr CLE 845a, return leaving CLE 845pm arr. MDW 9pm $97.10 USD incl. taxes. In Cleveland, you have the rock hall pf fame, the science museum, and its a nice city to visit for a day. Good Luck!

Thank you so much, now I have MSP and CLE. Cleveland sounds like a nice city, although I'm still doubting about the ride on DC9, I've done it with NW before and loved it!

I guess I'll wait till Friday to book NW, otherwise CLE is a go!

Regards,
LO231

Cubsrule

Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:57 am

St. Louis is a good option too. You can get downtown easily on the light rail and, if nothing else, the arch is pretty cool.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

txagkuwait

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:18 am

Here are some ttips over the 10th and 11th of April, on WN, to various places:

If you are looking for cheap, nothing beats IND. There is not much to say about IND, but I sort of feel the same way about MSP.
You can leave 11 APR/Return 12 APR for $97.10 USD for the round trip, all taxes and security fees included. That's 81.53 Euros.

If you feel like you can spend a bit more, STL is an option - although there isn't much more to do and see there than in either MSP or IND. Round trip price 11 APR/12 APR 157.10 USD. (136.91 Euros)

You can get BWI for the same price (157.10 for the round trip). Catch the train in to DC and go to the museums. Worth the trip. (136.91 Euros)

Nashville or Orlando you could do for $ 175.60. Both of those cities have a lot to offer a tourist, even for a short trip. (147.44 Euros)

If you've never been to the Rocky Mountain West try Denver. Denver, round trip, all taxes & fees, available for $ 177.10. (148.69 Euros)

If you just HAD to go to the beach, FLL could be done for $217.10 US, or 182.27 Euros.

Wherever you go and whomever you fly, have a great trip.

nateDAL

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:29 am

If you want cheap, download Ding! from WN.

Right now, there are a few cities going for $30 one way from MDW. Just wait for a while and where you want to go may come up. Can't beat the price. No WN in Europe too.

As for where to go, spring is pretty nice in the South. New Orleans? Houston?
Set Love Free

leelaw

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:30 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 9):
St. Louis is a good option too. You can get downtown easily on the light rail and, if nothing else, the arch is pretty cool.

I think STL is the best option. WN from MDW has a good-convenient-relatively high frequency schedule, short flight times, cheap and efficient public transportation avialable between the airport/downtown. Going to the top of the arch by tram is fun and cheap, and there's some shopping opportunities in the downtown area (Old Union Station), etc.
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

chrisjake

Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:44 am

Quoting LO231 (Reply 8):
Cleveland sounds like a nice city

if you choose CLE, they have a direct train link from the airport to the center of downtown. from there, the Rock n Roll Hall and Science Museum are a nice walk from the square. they are also right next door to BKL (Burke Lakefront airport) where you can grab lunch and watch some general aviation action.

chris

mshelby

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:09 am

Fly United, You will be able to listen to Channel 9 - ATC communications throughout your whole flight, and make sure you are on a United Mainline Aircraft ( No CRJs, E170s - though that is nice acft, or ERJ, they do not have audio hook-ups)

CMHSRQ

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:23 am

If you come to Columbus I can tell you a bunch of things to do. If you can overnight someplace take Airtran to Sarasota. I'm not biased or anything.
The voice of moderation

SLUAviator

Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:20 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 9):

St. Louis is a decent option, but the Metrolink sucks. It only goes from downtown to the airport, and there is not a ton of stuff to do in downtown St. Louis. When I was in college in STL, we only went downtown to go to Laclede's Landing, but there is not a lot to do there unless it is later and you are all about going drinking.

My $.02 is look into taking a daytrip to DCA. It is only about an hour and a half each way. You can jump on the metro at the airport and spend the day at the Air and Space museum (just a few stops down the line). You can also go to any of the other Smithsonian museums if you are bored with A & S--they're all free. You can take a 7am flight out and a 5pm flight back. There are flights every hour from 6am until 6 or 7 pm.

How long are you in Chicago? There is a TON of stuff to do here, why leave at all?
What do I know? I just fly 'em.......

LO231
Topic Author

Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:50 pm

Quoting SLUAviator (Reply 16):
How long are you in Chicago? There is a TON of stuff to do here, why leave at all?

Quoting LO231 (Thread starter):
thought while there I would like to make a day trip to visit places I normally wouldn't on an airline I don't get to fly too often in Europe...

Quoting LO231 (Reply 2):
flying is the most important thing on that day, hehe. I could see a lot of NW colours in MSP, couldn't I?

Thanks guys for the replies, much appreciated!!!  bigthumbsup 

Regards,
LO231

nkops

Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:56 am

You can head to sunny Florida (FLL) for the day on NK for 168.60 RT.... an A321 both ways... barring any eqp subs.

Whatever you pick, have fun!!!
Turn left heading 080 contact departure

N328KF

Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:07 am

Quoting KaiGywer (Reply 1):
(Science Museum, Zoo, etc...need a car for those anyways)

You don't need a car for any of the major museums or zoos in Chicago. We have a fantastic mass transit system. The only issues are with some of the further-flung sites in the outer suburbs.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos