DfwRevolution
Topic Author

Southwest: PHX Lobbying For Headquarters

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:06 pm

Breaking news on WFAA:

- Southwest is being lobbied "heavily" by the City of Phoenix and PHX airport officials to move their corporate HQ to Arizona.

- Southwest confirmed they will meet with the lobbying team in the next few weeks

- Southwest states that they have no plans what so ever to leave Dallas, but they will consider the terms offered to them by Phoenix.

- Ed Stewart indicated that if the HQ selection were to be made today, Dallas would have no chance of making the short list. The Wright Amendment, and the associated restrictions on employee travel to other stations, is a specific reason as to why not.

- No other cities are known to be lobbying WN.

Link will be posted when available.
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

kc135topboom

RE: Southwest: PHX Lobbying For Headquarters

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:10 pm

That will be one way to end the WA debate.

airfrnt

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:12 pm

Don't be surprised if Denver tries to sneak in here. There are a lot of Hq moves that come down to competition between DEN and PHX.

DfwRevolution
Topic Author

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:13 pm

More details to follow in the next few days:

Southwest to consider relocating to Phoenix
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

2H4

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:27 pm

Intentionally Left Blank

stlgph

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:36 pm

if i worked for AA or lived in Dallas, i think it'd be a great gag to have some moving vans show up in front of the headquarters on Monday.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

cjpark

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:36 pm

Oh Boy, more veiled threats from WN.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

texdravid

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:37 pm

I would be the least bit suprised if Southwest left Love Field as its headquarters. Long ago it ceased to be the major airport that Southwest flies out of, and PHX has welcomed SW with open arms.

It only makes sense that SW's busiest airport would be their base/headquarters.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

as739x

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:43 pm

Cjpark, if I read this correct its not a threat by WN in any way. Its state the city and airport of Phoenix approched or lobbied WN.

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

atrude777

Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:48 pm

Wow, very interesting to say the least!

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 6):
Oh Boy, more veiled threats from WN.

and where on earth is it a threat from SWA, none at all.

Quoting AS739X (Reply 8):
Cjpark, if I read this correct its not a threat by WN in any way. Its state the city and airport of Phoenix approched or lobbied WN.

ASLAX

Based on the experince I have had with him, if we don't pay for our airline tickets he doesnt value our opinions....

Correct there was no threat whatsoever from SWA for this kind of response.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

searpqx

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:00 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 9):
Correct there was no threat whatsoever from SWA for this kind of response.

I'm a WN stockholder, and I fly them when I'm in the states, but anybody that thinks WN didn't have an ulterior in motive in making sure this news got out, or in making the statement, "But if we were looking now for a headquarters, Dallas would not even be on the short list." is seriously naive.

This is, among other things, another shot in the WA wars, and WN would be remiss in not using any ammo it has at its disposal.
"The two most common elements in the universe are Hydrogen and stupidity"

atrude777

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:06 pm

Searpqx, as I am a SWA stockholder too (80 shares), I know SWA has made threats too in reference about the relocation of the HQ but in this particular news SWA didn't make any threats. Just simply PHX is lobbying, SWA will listen to them and speak and decide on the action That is how I read it. Perhaps I misread it but that was how I grasped from it.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

stlgph

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:18 pm

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 11):
Sure as hell sounds like WN is hinting that if they can't get their way in Dallas they will leave. Like I said more veiled threats from WN.

correct!

this opening paragraph said it all....

Southwest Airlines Co. has agreed to hear a proposal from the city of Phoenix about moving its headquarters, the Dallas-based carrier said Friday.

if it's not a veiled threat, then why is the company sending out a PR release?

lehpron

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:22 pm

I thought (former) America West was based there? Can more than one carrier be based at an airport?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

ejmmsu

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:25 pm

Whats wrong with a veiled threat. You make it sound like its bad for WN to do that. I'm not exactly sure why it is. If WN really wants to get the Wright Ammendment repealed, they would be stupid not to use this and every other tactic in they can.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

HPLASOps

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:28 pm

Quoting Lehpron (Reply 14):
I thought (former) America West was based there? Can more than one carrier be based at an airport?

The new US/HP will keep the hq in Tempe, 4 miles from PHX. I'm curious what Doug will have to say about that. The question for me is if WN is serious about moving, why not choose LAS? They already have their largest station here, McCarran D.O.A. will bend over backwards to keep them happy (sometimes to the detriment of HP), and HP/US is definitely not going away from PHX, so I don't think WN is gonna push us out of there.

[Edited 2006-02-25 06:31:07]
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

navairjax

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:33 pm

US Airways is based in Tempe, AZ not specifically at PHX per se. Where a airline is based doesn't necessarily mean its their largest station, for example FL is Orlando based but I'm sure ATL is a larger station for them. Also look at airports such as ORD, LAX, and JFK which have significant operations from a number of carriers.

HPLASOps

Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:43 pm

Quoting Navairjax (Reply 17):
Where a airline is based doesn't necessarily mean its their largest station, for example FL is Orlando based but I'm sure ATL is a larger station for them

And US's old hq was in Alexandria, VA, far from PHL.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

We're Nuts

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:07 pm

Would WN really up and leave their beautiful and relatively new headquarters? Seems unlikely, especially considering there probably wouldn't be any other airlines willing to buy it.

PHX does need an FA training school, though. The DAL school is backed up almost a year I hear.
Dear moderators: No.

atmx2000

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:21 pm

So are the candidates limited to the Southwest?  Smile
ConcordeBoy is a twin supremacist!! He supports quadicide!!

fumanchewd

Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:24 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 16):
he new US/HP will keep the hq in Tempe, 4 miles from PHX. I'm curious what Doug will have to say about that. The question for me is if WN is serious about moving, why not choose LAS?

Many think that LAS is on the brink of slowing down. Water issues are a great concern. Phoenix shows no sign of stopping. The greater officials of the cities of Phoenix have recently lured Google, Sumito, as well as a largely expanded Intel. This is a boomtown that is more business oriented than LAS. Don't be suprised if there is nothing but suburbs between Phoenix and Tucson in 10 years.

The US Airways hq is a beautiful building in Tempe adjacent to the Tempe Town Lake. Even though it is more of a pond than a "lake" the land value is going through the roof as condos are "in" just like it was the 80's. BTW anyone driving west on I202 can see the building and huge sign. Good advertising???
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

as739x

Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:17 pm

"They came knocking and we decided, as a courtesy, to grant the opportunity," said Southwest spokesman Ed Stewart. The airline did not request the meeting, and it has not been scheduled, he said

....Period Cj

As a side note it would be interesting to have WN down the street from US. No other city would have 2 majors HQ's in their backyard! Phoenix sure would never been my guess as the first with 2.

ASLAX

We're Nuts

Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:32 pm

Quoting AS739X (Reply 22):
No other city would have 2 majors HQ's in their backyard!

American and Southwest are neighbors right now.
Dear moderators: No.

HPLASOps

Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:39 pm

No other city would have 2 majors HQ's in their backyard!

What about DEN with F9 and UA? I don't know where hq for UA is, but I would think DEN being a principle hub, that should count the same for this argument.

leo777

Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:43 pm

UA is headquarted in Elk Grove Village outside of Chicago, by the way has anyone notified King Daley, maybe Chicago will start courting Southwest, and Chicago will beat the hell out of Phoenix and Denver any time.
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

as739x

Sat Feb 25, 2006 4:43 pm

HPLASOps...F9 HQ yes, UA is based in Chicago (actually a suburb of Chicago)

ASLAX

qqflyboy

Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Quoting FUMANCHEWD (Reply 21):
Many think that LAS is on the brink of slowing down.

You're kidding, right? LAS served 44 million passengers last year and that is only expected to grow as McCarran begins building Terminal 3, and eventually, an entirely new airport to handle increased traffic. The number of hotel rooms is increasing and convention business continues to grow. Vegas isn't going anywhere.

Back to the HDQ relocation... I read recently WN was considering several potential cities to relocate too, LAS and PHX being on the list. I know Mayor Oscar Goodman said he'd sit down with WN execs to discuss a move here (LAS) and I would be surprised if WN didn't examine LAS further, especially after hearing what PHX has to offer.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

leo777

Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:38 pm

What was meant by Las Vegas slowing down is the boom in population and building nothing to do with the airport.
You got to be careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there.

HPLASOps

Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:53 pm

Quoting LEO777 (Reply 28):
What was meant by Las Vegas slowing down is the boom in population and building nothing to do with the airport.

Well I've been in Vegas since 1987, and I've been saying the growth is going to keep slowing down, year after year, and yet it continues to grow at an alarming rate. The city is now growing veritical with high rise condos. At this point, you could tell me that gorillas will take over the city, residents are now required to start driving on the left side of the road, and human torture is not only legal but highly encouraged, and I wouldn't be surprized because that's how messed up and unpredictable this city is.

Perhaps the reality is the growth will marginally slow down, but the biz traffic sure won't.

[Edited 2006-02-25 10:02:56]

smokescreen

Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:57 pm

Many think that LAS is on the brink of slowing down. Water issues are a great concern. Phoenix shows no sign of stopping. The greater officials of the cities of Phoenix have recently lured Google, Sumito, as well as a largely expanded Intel. This is a boomtown that is more business oriented than LAS. Don't be suprised if there is nothing but suburbs between Phoenix and Tucson in 10 years.

I don't know about Las Vegas or Phoenix, but I know Tucson is hurting for water supplies - there is talk of outlawing swamp coolers and patio misters in order to conserve. Water shortage is definitely the elephant in the room for a lot of SW cities...

dalneighbor

Sat Feb 25, 2006 10:59 pm

Sure as hell sounds like WN is hinting that if they can't get their way in Dallas they will leave. Like I said more veiled threats from WN.

If you were running WN, wouldn't you consider moving the HDQ?

Quoting STLGph (Reply 13):

They didn't send out a PR release.

Quoting Atmx2000 (Reply 20):
So are the candidates limited to the Southwest?

I think if Houston made even a decent attempt to compete with PHX, LAS or MDW that they would stand a better chance of landing the headquarters. The cost of living is so much lower in Houston than those other cities and most people in Dallas have friends and family in Houston.
Wright Amendment = Federally Engineered AA Price Gouging

KarlB737

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:07 pm

Quoting DfwRevolution (Thread starter):
Link will be posted when available.

Registration May Be Required:

Courtesy: WFAA-TV

Phoenix Courting Southwest For Headquarters Move

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/dw...a060224_lj_southwest.5d5acb27.html

Video Report:

http://www.wfaa.com/sharedcontent/Vi...eoPlayer.php?vidId=52774&catId=104

MalpensaSFO

Sat Feb 25, 2006 11:08 pm

Oh Boy, more veiled threats from WN

Think of it this way.... Your precious and once great American Airlines, will have no one ot fight with if WN leaves Dallas. However, on a flip note, WN, leaving Dallas, will have a huge impact on the greater Dallas Metro area!

Quoting LEO777 (Reply 28):
What was meant by Las Vegas slowing down is the boom in population and building nothing to do with the airport

Believe you me there has been nothing slowing down in Las Vegas for the past 12 years.. and then some. What is not growing outwards, is growing upwards. Las Vegas has already overtaken Phoenix in size, and in prestige. Las Vegas, has even begun to cast a shadow on Southern California.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

Tbird

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:14 am

This is far from breaking news boys and girls. What is the big deal about Southwest investigating moving its HQ to PHX??? This is not the first time we've heard it and I'm sure WN has been investigating this for some time. Its not like PHX just came to Herb's office and said "hey come to Arizona."

Really its not like a company and an airline hasn't relocated before. Companies do it all the time. It would be foolish if Southwest didn't talk to them, and I'm sure the City of Dallas is coming up with their own counter offer. This happens all the time and whatever is in the best interest for Southwest then so be it.

Other airlines that moved their HQs in the past- TWA from NY to STL, AA from NY to DFW. Big deal about WN, if its good for them then let it be.

JAXFLL

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting We're Nuts (Reply 19):
Would WN really up and leave their beautiful and relatively new headquarters? Seems unlikely, especially considering there probably wouldn't be any other airlines willing to buy it.

PHX does need an FA training school, though. The DAL school is backed up almost a year I hear.

Any company would be foolish not to take up an offer by another city to re-locate their HQ. If it is a cheaper alternative, all the stockholders would get upset if they didn't consider it.

If they move the HQ, that doesn't mean that all of their operations have to move with it - ie Boeing. Or they could move the functions in steps - first the executives, then FA school when one is ready in PHX, then maintenance, etc, then just push the FA students to PHX when the facility is ready.

I'm really surprised at the shock that WN may move its headquarters. There used to be a time that many companies, including airlines had their HQs in NYC . Those times changed when other cities enticed those companies to move their HQs.

For 99.99% of the people, where a company's HQ is doesn't matter.

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 33):
Think of it this way.... Your precious and once great American Airlines, will have no one ot fight with if WN leaves Dallas. However, on a flip note, WN, leaving Dallas, will have a huge impact on the greater Dallas Metro area!

A huge impace on the Dallas Metro area? Doubtful. A huge impact on the city of Dallas? Maybe. The DFW metro area is very diversified. Would it be a setback? Of course, but the economy of North Texas does not depend on WN for survival. Other big companies HQ'ed in DFW metro include - ExxonMobil, Texas Instruments, Blockbuster, Tenet Healthcare, EDS, Ross Perot's companies. Aviation is a big industry in North Dallas, but one company moving isn't going to have a huge impact on the DFW economy.

If WN wants the WA repealed, they would be foolish to move the HQ. It would also be a PR nightmare - asking for something in the Dallas area after "selling out" to PHX for their HQ. As we all know, the appearance of an issue outweighs the true nature of an issue.

drerx7

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:30 am

Quoting DALNeighbor (Reply 31):
I think if Houston made even a decent attempt to compete with PHX, LAS or MDW that they would stand a better chance of landing the headquarters. The cost of living is so much lower in Houston than those other cities and most people in Dallas have friends and family in Houston.

I definately agree. If WN were to move headquartes I'd almost certainly bet on H-Town. All this conjecture is moot though because I think ultimately the WA will be removed.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

redflyer

Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:43 am

As a side note it would be interesting to have WN down the street from US. No other city would have 2 majors HQ's in their backyard! Phoenix sure would never been my guess as the first with 2.

While not considered a "major", Mesa Air Group, which operates 182 aircraft under United Express, America West Express/US Airways Express, Delta Connection, and Mesa Air has its HQ here is well.

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 16):
I'm curious what Doug will have to say about that.

I don't think he'll care as I'm not sure WN moving to PHX will necessarily mean more competition or impact US from an operational standpoint. Other than perhaps the initial publicity might translate into a lot of free advertising for WN.
A government big enough to take away a constitutionally guaranteed right is a government big enough to take away any guaranteed right. A government big enough to give you everything you need is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

PlaneDane

Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:03 am

PHX is huge, modern and extremely well planned for expansion.

This is a boomtown that is more business oriented than LAS. Don't be suprised if there is nothing but suburbs between Phoenix and Tucson in 10 years.

You're absolutely right!

The growth here is amazing and the best part is that the infrastructure is ready for it. There's more than enough water, power, land, freeways, etc. for what is predicted to be some 20 million living here by the end of the next decade.

Besides, I say Phoenix is the real Southwest...

cjpark

Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting Smokescreen (Reply 30):

If you were running WN, wouldn't you consider moving the HDQ?

Yes right down the road to DFW.

Exactly.

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 33):
Oh Boy, more veiled threats from WN

Read the quote below. Jax well said.

Quoting JAXFLL (Reply 35):
A huge impace on the Dallas Metro area? Doubtful. A huge impact on the city of Dallas? Maybe. The DFW metro area is very diversified. Would it be a setback? Of course, but the economy of North Texas does not depend on WN for survival. Other big companies HQ'ed in DFW metro include - ExxonMobil, Texas Instruments, Blockbuster, Tenet Healthcare, EDS, Ross Perot's companies. Aviation is a big industry in North Dallas, but one company moving isn't going to have a huge impact on the DFW economy.

If WN wants the WA repealed, they would be foolish to move the HQ. It would also be a PR nightmare - asking for something in the Dallas area after "selling out" to PHX for their HQ. As we all know, the appearance of an issue outweighs the true nature of an issue.

Quoting Tbird (Reply 34):
Really its not like a company and an airline hasn't relocated before. Companies do it all the time. It would be foolish if Southwest didn't talk to them, and I'm sure the City of Dallas is coming up with their own counter offer. This happens all the time and whatever is in the best interest for Southwest then so be it.

This is just well timed to try and quell the mayors efforts to help establish a Regional Airport Board that is all. Divide and Conquer right?
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

stlgph

Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:14 am

Quoting DALNeighbor (Reply 31):

I got one.

georgiabill

Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:39 am

If Southwest is serious they should consider moving to tax free New Hampshire. Over night they would become the biggest company in the state. Heck if Manchester/Concord were chosen for their corporate offices their employees would only have a one hour ride to the ocean or one hour ride to some of New Hampshires finest ski areas. Excellent school systems, several good colleges pro hockey,arena football and minor league baseball. Boston is an hour away by car so if you want to check out JetBlue grab a bus and you canbe at Logan within 90 minutes. Boston of course has alot to offer. The Ted Kennedy archives of memorable speeches for one.(just kidding) So seriously Manchester should be on their shortlist of cities they should consider as their corporate head quarters. Welcome Southwest!!!!!!!!!

SonOfACaptain

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:00 am

First the west coast, then BWI, then PHL, then PIT.....now PHX? I think WN has a grudge against US.  wink 

PS- Just a joke for all of you hardcore WN'ers out there. I know it doesn't sound offensive, but some of you always find a way.

-SOAC
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

nateDAL

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:07 am

They should seriously consider leaving. Why on earth would a company want to stay in a city that supports laws that unfairly help your competetor?

Thankfully for Dallas, Laura Miller realized that WN is important and supports repeal now.

I think HOU would be a great place for them.
Set Love Free

planespotting

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:10 am

who wants to move to phoenix...it is way too hot!

Chicago would be a much better fit for SWA  Smile
Do you like movies about gladiators?

coa747

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:34 am

I think Houston would be more likely. They already have a sizable operation at Hobby and I really can't see them moving the corporate HQ out of Texas. Houston is centrally located for their system wide operations. It wouldn't make much sense to have your HQ off at one end of your system. America West/US Airways made sense in Tempe because most of their flights were concentrated in the west before the merger. Your HQ location reflects your route system.

Tornado82

Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:56 am

Ummm.... Atlanta has Delta and Airtran.

Quoting Georgiabill (Reply 41):
Heck if Manchester/Concord were chosen for their corporate offices their employees would only have a one hour ride to the ocean or one hour ride to some of New Hampshires finest ski areas. Excellent school systems, several good colleges pro hockey,arena football and minor league baseball.

"Pro" hockey? I believe that's called minor league hockey, despite being paid to play which makes them "professionals" it's not the NHL. That said, MHT is a beautiful city for the location of ocean/mountains, but I don't think hardcore Texan boys like OPNL would fit in very well in MHT, if nothing else it gets a bit cold there compared to DAL where people freak out and hide over a minor snow/sleet/ice event... and about that ocean water, the last time I was in it, despite being August, my "boys" were not very fond of it being so cold.

PlaneDane

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:01 am

Quoting Planespotting (Reply 46):
who wants to move to phoenix...it is way too hot!

How would you know? Have you ever lived or been to Phoenix? I doubt it. Believe me, it is like paradise here compared to where you live. We live outdoors all year long and there's so much to do here.

The months of late June, July and August are triple digits but the humidity is extremely low. We do just fine here.

San Antonio is the hottest city in the nation. Miami is hotter than Phoenix. Get the picture now?

Besides, we have 340 days of sunshine a year. Can you say that about any other city in North America? No, you can't.

vegasplanes

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:06 am

****IF**** WN was interested in moving their HQ, my money would be on PHX or LAS. Both are large stations, over 200 departures per day each, PHX already has a maintenance and crew base for WN, while LAS is WN's largest station and offers the benefit of no state income taxes in NV. With either station, it is easy for employees to get to HQ, unlike DAL, personnally, I would be thrilled if they moved to either local, they are both great. Besides, they're two other airlines with HQ's in TX as it is, AA and CO.  Wink

Tornado82

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:06 am

Quoting PlaneDane (Reply 50):
Believe me, it is like paradise here compared to where you live. We live outdoors all year long and there's so much to do here.

Paradise is in the eyes of the beholder... some people like winter, snow, etc. Other people like their lawn getting naturally watered, not by sprinklers. Be careful with your over-generalizations.

vegasplanes

Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:07 am

Quoting Tornado82 (Reply 49):
Ummm.... Atlanta has Delta and Airtran.

DL based in ATL
FL HQ in MCO

Both have hubs in ATL like UA and AA in ORD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos