ChiGB1973
Topic Author

WN Threatens PHX HQ Again!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:41 am

Is it a threat to weaken the Wright Amendment?

Will they really do it?

http://www.usatoday.com/money/biztravel/2006-02-28-southwest_x.htm

M

MalpensaSFO

RE: WN Threatens PHX HQ Again!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:50 am

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Thread starter):
Will they really do it?

If the city of Dallas doesnt wake up they will. Odds are that Dallas is so inbedded with American Airlines, they would rather see Southwest Airlines leave. Southwest Airlines, needs Phoenix for both cost and efficiency. As can be seen there have been more than a fair share of airlines pull away from Dallas over the years:

Braniff
Legend
Delta Airlines

Good for Phoenix, it is a much more attractive market, and it solidifys Southwest Airlines future on the West Coast! The loss in Dallas will be a gain for Phoenix, one of Americas fastest growing and solid metro areas.
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

commavia

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:53 am

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Thread starter):
Will they really do it?

No way.

Southwest is doing the exact same thing as American -- rattling sabers and threatening to get their way. They have staked out the moral high ground on the issue of Wright, rightly or wrongly, and now they are using the threat of them leaving Dallas to reinforce it.

Realistically, I would put the chance of Southwest moving HQ away from Dallas in negative numbers. Southwest has an incredibly cushy deal at Love Field, and has a huge operations base there that would cost enormous amounts of money to move to Phoenix or anywhere else. In addition, moving and uprooting all those lives is not something that Southwest's management wants, or that its corporate philosophy reconciles with well.

Bottom line: is it possible that Southwest could move? Yes. Likely? Definitely no.

MalpensaSFO

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:15 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 2):
Likely? Definitely no

Likely? In todays World anything can happen!  wink 

Realistically, I would put the chance of Southwest moving HQ away from Dallas in negative numbers. Southwest has an incredibly cushy deal at Love Field, and has a huge operations base there that would cost enormous amounts of money to move to Phoenix or anywhere else. In addition, moving and uprooting all those lives is not something that Southwest's management wants, or that its corporate philosophy reconciles with well.

Keep in mind that the long term goals for WN include a closer relationship with TZ, and in saying so they do not want a 2 airport system in any of their destinations. Love Field does not provide anything of an advantage to Southwest with the exception of the Texas market. Saying so, look for big changes coming to WN if Wright and the whinny airline that has less customer service, flys 20 year old Mad Dogs, cant sustain service to Nagoya or Lima, and is going more and more cheapo by the day in Ft. Worth gets there way! The exceptions of course being the Los Angeles/San Francisco areas. Dont be to quick to say it wont happen! Who would have thought that HP would be the one calling the shots at US?  wink 
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

wnsocal

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:21 am

Never....I say NEVER will WN move to PHX. WN is doing everything to cut cost and stay in the Black..To relocate HDQ to PHX would be WASTED MILLIONS..the cost to relocate dispatch from HDQ alone would cost a arm and a leg..Then you take the upset employees that would have to relocate to PHX..This would just make more of a mess in the long run...Once WN starts doing DUMB stuff like this it will be the true downfall of a great airline...So SAY NEVER..wn
Airline Nut

ckfred

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:30 am

If you look over the years, a number of airlines have moved HQ for one reason or another. AA moved from New York to D/FW. CO moved from Los Angeles to Houston. The second Midway moved from Chicago to Raleigh. Eastern moved from New York to Miami. TWA moved from Manhattan to Mt. Kisco, NY to St. Louis.

Considering that Phoenix is one of the fastest-gowing metro areas, and I think LAS is one of WN's largest operations, moving HQ to Phoenix makes a lot of sense.

Will they do it? I don't know. They are still fighting on the Wright Amendment, and so far, STL and MCI is all that they have won, since WN has started to push repeal.

Of course, the ideal location would be Chicago. It's more centrally located. MDW is also a large operation. Mayor Daley would give them a nice incentive package to move, just like Boeing.

dc10s4ever

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:35 am

Good! I will drop off some UHAUL boxes at WN HDQ!

SeeTheWorld

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:37 am

The fact that the likes of Phoenix and Chicago (and even Baltimore) might jump in and try and entice Southwest to move its headquarters with enormous amounts of financial incentives is a net positive for Southwest in the Wright Amendement discussion.

I think the chances are very small they would ever move, but with huge financial incentives from other cities and continued hostility in the Dallas/Ft. Worth market, there is always a chance the stars could align just right. I wouldn't bet my money on it, though.

PlaneDane

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting Wnsocal (Reply 4):
To relocate HDQ to PHX would be WASTED MILLIONS..the cost to relocate dispatch from HDQ alone would cost a arm and a leg..Then you take the upset employees that would have to relocate to PHX..This would just make more of a mess in the long run...

What Phoenix is very willing to provide is tremendous financial incentives, assistance with relocation, etc. -- practically everything WN would need to make the move easier and very worthwhile.

An example is USAA, one of the biggest and the finest insurance companies in the world, relocated here from Texas several years ago and is very pleased with the outcome.

Major financial institutions, high-tech corporations and light industries
are flocking to the valley to get in on the fantastic weather, excellent schools, highways and relatively low cost of living here.

steeler83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:53 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 5):
Considering that Phoenix is one of the fastest-gowing metro areas, and I think LAS is one of WN's largest operations, moving HQ to Phoenix makes a lot of sense.

I agree. Phoenix just passed Phili in population, and Vegas is their BEST market in the country. Cost millions of dollars to uproot and leave Dallas? Please!!! They could be making millions more if not for that lame-ass obsolete Wright (wrong) Amendment. That doesn't make sense. ORD has a huge AA presence there (I think the second largest hub behind Dallas), and you don't see them complaining about WN's presence just down the road at MDW... WN fought and lost to try and remove the Wright Amendment. Frankly, I'd do the same thing their doing if I was in WN's shoes...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

SABE

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:06 am

Looks like it's time to start packing, OPNLguy!  Smile

Maybe after WN moves, DAL will be closed and we can finally stop having these endless Wright/Wrong discussions and have even more about the NW DC9 replacements!  Smile  duck 

Arizona is nice 9 months out of the year, I guess that's not too bad. For the other 3, make sure you have a pool and plenty of A/C -- you'll need them!

--Lucas
TUS-DFW-EZE... can't wait to visit home again!

AA737-823

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 1):
As can be seen there have been more than a fair share of airlines pull away from Dallas over the years:

Braniff
Legend
Delta Airlines

Saying that three bankrupt airlines left Dallas by choice is retarded. Braniff shutdown. They left EXISTENCE.
The only leg to stand on there is DL. They cut the hub that they couldn't make work. For the sake of argument, let's blame it on their CRJ debacle.

I hope WN sticks around.
Dallas is NOT that embedded with AA- that would be Fort Worth you're thinking of.

Southwest is crazy, and has always been. If they decide that PHX makes more sense than Dallas, then we can kiss our "hometown underdog" goodbye. Which is a bummer, because that leaves few choices other than AA around here.

OPNLguy

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:09 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 9):
WN fought and lost to try and remove the Wright Amendment.

How do you come to the conclusion that repeal efforts have concluded; wishful thinking?

It's not over yet...  Wink
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ChiGB1973
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:12 am

Quoting SeeTheWorld (Reply 7):
The fact that the likes of Phoenix and Chicago (and even Baltimore) might jump in and try and entice Southwest to move its headquarters with enormous amounts of financial incentives is a net positive for Southwest in the Wright Amendment discussion.

I like the idea of Chicago. That would be nice. I agree, many cities will offer WN big incentives. The problem is that Midway doesn't have space for a large WN headquarters. It is great for what it is used for, but I think WN would want to flood some money in for maintenance and other facilities on and/or close to the airport grounds. I do not know about space at PHX, but I do know about MDW. Unless houses are torn down and roads moved, there is really no hope for MDW.

BWI does have a really good chance. If the code share with ATA expands to Europe, BWI would grow by leaps and bounds. Unless TZ gets jets with more range, PHX is no good for the Europe market. Though it is a long shot and probably a few years down the road BWI is the winner. Since the 757 line is closed, there is going to have to be a change in aircraft. In this case, the 767 and 787 are likely candidates and PHX would be a great place. Most of my thoughts depend on WN and TZ codeshare expanding and future plans. If nothing changes and Europe is not so much in the sights of WN, then PHX is the winner hands down.

M

OPNLguy

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:13 am

Quoting SABE (Reply 10):
Looks like it's time to start packing, OPNLguy!

Thanks, but I think I'll wait for an official announcement, not that I think one is coming anytime soon...

Quoting SABE (Reply 10):
Maybe after WN moves, DAL will be closed

If Southwest moved (and in my book, that's still a big "if"), DAL would continue to stay open, and would continue to have Southwest service...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

SeeTheWorld

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 9):
WN fought and lost to try and remove the Wright Amendment.

The fight over the WA will not end until - 1) it's repealed, or 2) Love is closed. My bets are on the former and sooner rather than later, i.e. within a few years, piece-by-piece.

steeler83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:22 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 12):
How do you come to the conclusion that repeal efforts have concluded; wishful thinking?

It's not over yet...

Sorry, I based that one on another post on the W.A. thread... And I think from another thread involving WN threatening a HQ relocation...

The W.A. really should be removed though. WN gave boeing the ultimatum regarding what boeing wanted for the 733s some 20 years ago, and now they're giving their ultimatum to Dallas. "Help us be more profitable, or we're 'ahta here.'"

I even said this in the W.A thread, "WN is already making profits that are through the roof, and they could be making a lot more if not for Wright. They have the money to relocate. Someone said that they'd be wasting millions of dollars in the relocation, but their likely added profit out of PHX would likely offset that... If WN pulles through with this proposal, the real loser will be the city of Dallas, NOT WN, and I won't feel the least bit sorry for them either...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Slovacek747

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:27 am

I really like WN being in Dallas but I agree that if the wright amendment isn't repealed they should pack up and go somwhere that will make them even more profitable... Although this is a threat by WN, I'm pretty sure they will go through with their plan of moving if the "wrong amendment" isn't repealed...

Slovacek747

steeler83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:43 am

Quoting Slovacek747 (Reply 17):
I really like WN being in Dallas but I agree that if the wright amendment isn't repealed they should pack up and go somwhere that will make them even more profitable... Although this is a threat by WN, I'm pretty sure they will go through with their plan of moving if the "wrong amendment" isn't repealed...

I like WN in Dallas as well. Dallas is one of the top 10 business markets for PIT business travelers... Imagine if the W.A. was lifted. There would be numerous daily flights from PIT-DAL likely - at least 4 or 5 daily I'd imagine... WN needs to do something to make it more profitable. So I agree with you... If Dallas and the Federal Gov't want to do something "W"right, remove the Wrong Amendment, and let WN spread its wings, fly, and become more profitable...

PanAm747

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:50 am

Regardless of whether WN moves its headquarters, I don't think we'll see a change in DAL schedules - at least if/until the Wright Amendment situation changes.

I think it will all come down to financial incentives - if WN thinks it can make a move to become more profitable in the long term, they will do so.

Personally, I'd be delighted to see them move their headquarters to San Diego - after all, the spirit of PSA (San Diego's hometown airline) lives on in WN. The irony alone would be priceless!!  rotfl 
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

MalpensaSFO

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:53 am

Quoting AA737-823 (Reply 11):
The only leg to stand on there is DL. They cut the hub that they couldn't make work. For the sake of argument, let's blame it on their CRJ debacle.

That is funny the L1011's to Honolulu and Frankfurt ended years before the CRJ program came into fruition..

Have we all forgotten that Sabena, Japan Air Lines, and Air France said goodbye to Dallas after brief stints in the unfruitful Dallas market?
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

Aloha717200

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:32 am

I hope they do move to PHX.

legion242

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 1):
Braniff
Legend
Delta Airlines

Dead
Dead
Dying

Quoting Dc10s4ever (Reply 6):
Good! I will drop off some UHAUL boxes at WN HDQ!

No kidding. I am so sick of their whiny posturing. Good riddance.
Don't make me release the monkeys!!

SeeTheWorld

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:26 am

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 13):
I like the idea of Chicago. That would be nice. I agree, many cities will offer WN big incentives. The problem is that Midway doesn't have space for a large WN headquarters. It is great for what it is used for, but I think WN would want to flood some money in for maintenance and other facilities on and/or close to the airport grounds. I do not know about space at PHX, but I do know about MDW. Unless houses are torn down and roads moved, there is really no hope for MDW.

BWI does have a really good chance. If the code share with ATA expands to Europe, BWI would grow by leaps and bounds. Unless TZ gets jets with more range, PHX is no good for the Europe market. Though it is a long shot and probably a few years down the road BWI is the winner. Since the 757 line is closed, there is going to have to be a change in aircraft. In this case, the 767 and 787 are likely candidates and PHX would be a great place. Most of my thoughts depend on WN and TZ codeshare expanding and future plans. If nothing changes and Europe is not so much in the sights of WN, then PHX is the winner hands down.

The fact that there is no space at Midway (MDW) is irrelevant. Most headquarters aren't located on airport grounds anyway. Whether WN and ATA will codeshare to Europe will have no bearing on whether WN would consider moving its headquarters to BWI. It will come down to financial incentives first (and they will have to be huge), and geographic location second, i.e. MDW is the most centrally located, PHX has a climate most like Dallas, BWI is geographically a distant third based on location and climate.

RayChuang

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:31 am

Actually, Phoenix would not be a bad location for Southwest's corporate headquarters. After all, Phoenix has WN's largest US West Coast hub, and being in the US Southwest the airline's name will be even more appropriate.  bigthumbsup 

steeler83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:52 am

Quoting RayChuang (Reply 24):
Actually, Phoenix would not be a bad location for Southwest's corporate headquarters. After all, Phoenix has WN's largest US West Coast hub, and being in the US Southwest the airline's name will be even more appropriate.

I agree with that. It would be nice if they do move there. Although, I thought Vegas is WN's busiest market, not to say that PHX is not that big, because it certainly is... Don't get me wrong. I thought that LAS had just a tad bit more service...

william

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:11 am

Don't see Herb moving from Texas..................

PassBureauMgr

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:35 am

I don't see where WN states this as a threat. I simply see it as they are being entertained by PHX. There is a difference!

incitatus

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:55 am

The fight over Love Field has shown that no large metro area can sustain headquarters of two large airlines. Regulation and government have a large impact on the ability of an airline to make money and add service. Frequently the interests of airlines are at odds and politicians ultimately have to take sides. Even if the W.A. is gone, Southwest's fight to expand Love Field won't abate - it can ask for more flights, for a customs facility if it serves Mexico, more gates, more hangars. There will always be political resistance to it. So it should move. If it doesn't, then American Airlines should move (maybe to Dallas downtown  Smile ).

Therefore going to Phoenix doesn't solve it. It already has USAir. Chicago or Houston won't do either. Southwest should go to a city that lacks a large airline, such as Boise, Fargo or... Vegas!
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

gunsontheroof

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:14 am

Quoting Ckfred (Reply 5):
Of course, the ideal location would be Chicago.

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 13):

I like the idea of Chicago.

Then we could have Northwest and Southwest in the midwest along with Midwest!

I don't think a.net could handle it.  Wink
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

drerx7

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:15 am

IF A REAL BIG IF WN moves its gonna be Houston. They are not going to move from Texas---for the 1763rd time. How many times a week will this discussion be had in several different threads?  crazy 
HOUSTON, TEXAS

steeler83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:29 am

If they do leave DAL but still remain in Texas, then why don't they get over whatever problems they have with DFW and go there??? They still remain in Dallas and can be a much more competitive airline. I said this in the wright thread, but they will have higher landing fees and what have you at DFW as opposed to DAL. Despite those higher costs, they will be making enough extra profit to offset all that, and they are already sitting on top of a formidable cushion of cash... Why doesn't WN take all that into consideration?

spartanmjf

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:40 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 19):
after all, the spirit of PSA (San Diego's hometown airline) lives on in WN

Awwww, not in the wild, wooly world of USAir?

We who use BWI and who live in Maryland would LUV to have WN come here!
"Nuts to the man in 21D!"

SeeTheWorld

Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:09 am

Quoting Incitatus (Reply 29):
The fight over Love Field has shown that no large metro area can sustain headquarters of two large airlines.

I'm sorry, but this statement doesn't make any sense. A headquarters of an airline can be anywhere, although there are places that are more convenient than others. Just because an airline operates it's largest hub in a city does not mean the headquarters has to be there. The location of the headquarters has little affect on the ultimate number of departures from a particular city.

Having said that, AA and WN are both in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area and they are two of the strongest airlines in their respective groups, i.e. LCC and Legacy.

US Airways was headquartered in Washington, DC (Arlington, VA) throughout the 1990s, but its largest hubs were Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, and Baltimore. Dallas Love is number 9, or thereabouts, in departures for Southwest.

eclipseflight7

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:19 am

And for the record, now it's Phoenix, Chicago, Baltimore, and Albuquerque vying for Southwest's hub.
Holy sh*ts and burritos.

dc10cf6

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:21 am

It's time for SWA to get out of love the airport is a DUMP. Walk through the airport it sick its like your waiting for a 707 to pull in the gate. The city of dallas should be helping SWA not hurting SWA. DAL love will get what they want to protect AA. Its really is sad at love field I hope SWA gives the city of dallas what they want. A empty DUMP airport and no money. Then years down the road will want them back.

steeler83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:32 am

Quoting Dc10cf6 (Reply 36):
It's time for SWA to get out of love the airport is a DUMP. Walk through the airport it sick its like your waiting for a 707 to pull in the gate. The city of dallas should be helping SWA not hurting SWA. DAL love will get what they want to protect AA. Its really is sad at love field I hope SWA gives the city of dallas what they want. A empty DUMP airport and no money. Then years down the road will want them back.

And, WN will turn around and tell them... (bleep) off... Another reason to vacate Dallas all together...

Shame on you, Dallas, I hope you are happy with what you are doing to such a quality airline! Maybe they should leave; YOU'RE NOT WORTHY OF THEM!!!"  point 

ChiGB1973
Topic Author

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:34 am

Quoting SeeTheWorld (Reply 23):
The fact that there is no space at Midway (MDW) is irrelevant. Most headquarters aren't located on airport grounds anyway

"The city's airport, McCarran International, is too small to support an airline headquarters and accommodate projected flight expansion, she said. Southwest would likely prefer an on-site headquarters at the airport, but Las Vegas needs the space for more flights, Ms. Whalen said."

"Likely" as she says.

I do feel that WN would want a bigger place. It would defeat the purpose of moving the headquarters without taking a large maintenance facility out. That is a bargaining chip for WN to stay at DAL. (jobs, etc.)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...030106dnbussouthwest.11fc7c8a.html

M

AA777223

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:44 am

As an actual resident of Dallas, and one that lives fairly close to DAL, I can appreciate what southwest offers. I usually only fly WN, if I'm flying within Texas, and that probably wouldn't change, no matter what happens with the wright amendment. I can get to almost every major market in the world, non-stop, or virtually non-stop with AA and use that resource for interstate, and international flights. My only problem with the Wright Amendement argument is that WN new it was in existence when they set up major operations there. I liken it to someone renting an apartment for very low costs, under the caveat they cannot have pets, but as soon as they move in, the decided they want pets, and the lower rent, and don't stop complaining until they get it. I realize that situation is quite different, but I feel the analogy is apt. If southwest wants to fly anywhere from love they should be ready for a boost landing fees, or they are welcome to move to DFW. I hate to see either of our hometown carriers go, but if its one or the other, I'd rather have the international access offered by AA. Just my opinion.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

steeler83

Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:59 am

AA777223, are you saying that you'd rather see WN leave if they have to, leaving AA at DFW, despite disliking having hometown airlines leaving? I respect your opinion. I've seen a hometown airline leave... US Airways when they relocated to Arlington VA from PIT. Then they dehubbed PIT... The situation with DAL and WN is almost the opposite... US turned their backs on PIT, while Dallas appears to be doing nothing for WN, as several ppl, including myself, have stated

andrewuber

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:03 am

Bottom line: is it possible that Southwest could move? Yes. Likely? Definitely no.

People never thought Boeing would leave Seattle either. Now they're a few blocks away from the Sears Tower.

Anything can happen, and WN is known for shaking up the system every now and then.

Drew
I'd rather shoot BAD_MOTIVE

AA777223

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:09 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 40):
AA777223, are you saying that you'd rather see WN leave if they have to, leaving AA at DFW, despite disliking having hometown airlines leaving?

Well, that is the reason I said, I don't want to see either one leave, but if I HAD to see one go, I guess I would rather see (perhaps I should have said reluctantly) Southwest. This is only because I fly american more myself. That is just me though. I like both companies, but fly AA more.
In response to your assertion that Dallas is abondoning WN, that is perposterous. I cannot tell you how many times I have had people ask me to sign "Wright is Wrong" petitions. There are signs; there are billboards. Even DFW is plastered with signs all over saying "Welcome Southwest," etc. But perhaps you cannot appreciate the situation our city faces. We have 2 airlines, both valuable to our economy, and feeding our market. We want to make both happy, but neither are particularly willing to compromise.
When Pittsburg faced their USAir issue, it was not between two airlines, like that of Dallas. Perhaps if you respect my opinion, you can respect our precarious situation.
A318/19/20/21, A300, A332/3, A343/6, A388, L1011, DC-9, DC-10, MD-11, MD-80, B722, B732/3/4/5/7/8/9, B743/4/4M, B752/3, B762/3/4, B772/E/W, B788/9, F-100, CRJ-200/700/900, ERJ-135/145/175/190, DH-8, ATR-72, DO-328, BAE-146

travelin man

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:12 am

Southwest would NEVER move its headquarters.

Signed,
Boeing

socalfive

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:21 am

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 39):
My only problem with the Wright Amendement argument is that WN new it was in existence when they set up major operations there

WRONG, WN began operating at DAL (1971) long before Wright was imposed (1979), but in the 70's they didn't fly outside (or very little if at all) of Texas so it wasn't a big issue to them back then.

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 32):
Despite those higher costs, they will be making enough extra profit to offset all that, and they are already sitting on top of a formidable cushion of cash... Why doesn't WN take all that into consideration?

I'm sure they've considered every possible scenario, except consulting someone like you who has the psychic vision that they'll be more profitable at DFW if they start flying from there under the wing of the eight hundred pound gorilla. You oughta give em a call!

Another truth to the "DUMP" status of DAL, is the economic stimulus that will eventually come when Wright is lifted and DAL is totally renovated, such as been the case at MDW, LGA, etc etc...

cjpark

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:29 am

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 44):
Another truth to the "DUMP" status of DAL, is the economic stimulus that will eventually come when Wright is lifted and DAL is totally renovated, such as been the case at MDW, LGA, etc etc...

I don't think the city will be able to sell the voters on the bonds to fund any renovation at DAL. Hell we cannot even pay our police and firemen decent wages.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

AA777223

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:55 am

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 44):

WRONG, WN began operating at DAL (1971) long before Wright was imposed (1979), but in the 70's they didn't fly outside (or very little if at all) of Texas so it wasn't a big issue to them back then.

Well then they could have moved when everyone else did, forseeing growth.

OPNLguy

Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:04 pm

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 46):
Well then they could have moved when everyone else did, forseeing growth.

Southwest wasn't in existence when everyone else signed the agreement to move to DFW, thus, SWA didn't sign, and thus was under no legal obligation to move, and didn't. Southwest prevailed in the ensuing legal battle. Folks need to let it go, and get over it. Likewise with Dallas re: agreeing to close Love to commerical traffic. The language said "if legally permissible" and it turns out it wasn't "legally permissible." Disagree? Fine; take it up with the Supreme Court in Washington, DC...

Instead of focusing on the "coulda shoulda woulda" stuff from 30 years ago, maybe folks could stay in the present-day?

YVRlonghauler

Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:55 pm

Interesting. I wonder whether this move would have any effect on HP/US's merger success...  scratchchin 

HPLASOps

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:06 pm

Quoting YVRlonghauler (Reply 48):
Interesting. I wonder whether this move would have any effect on HP/US's merger success...

I doubt very little. Even if WN moved to PHX, our fort there is very strong, WN already has a large amount of flights and any more flights would not really affect our biz much. Amazingly enough, our airlines co-exist very well at both LAS and PHX.

[Edited 2006-03-02 07:12:41]
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos