HPRamper

RE: WN Threatens PHX HQ Again!

Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:51 pm

Quoting YVRlonghauler (Reply 48):
Interesting. I wonder whether this move would have any effect on HP/US's merger success...

Nah, this wouldn't affect flights much if anything, it would just be HQ status.

legend500

Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:50 pm

1. Not gonna happen, Texas and DAL will fight a relocation tooth and nail.

2. IF WN moves, they can forget about the WA ever being repealed.

3. PHX is too small, poorly located, underfunded, politically weak and high-tax for any Texas corporation in Dallas or Houston to ever give PHX a second look. USAA was having so much fun out in Phoenix that they moved their HQ back to San Antonio last year.

4. It's an empty threat: even if WN left, it wouldn't really matter to the area. It's not even in the top five major companies in DFW.

5. It's all just bluster, and will blow over soon. WN is Dallas Love, their ticker code, their corporate history and their culture all owe their existance to where they are from and where they are.

HPRamper

Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:03 pm

Quoting Legend500 (Reply 51):
PHX is too small, poorly located, underfunded, politically weak and high-tax for any Texas corporation in Dallas or Houston to ever give PHX a second look.

Everything else here is fine, but don't call Phoenix "small."
The Phoenix metro area is one of the country's fastest growing.
I can't find any stats for 2005, although those would show an even wider gap. These are 2004 numbers, only of city numbers, not metro.
Phoenix - 1,418,041
Dallas - 1,210,393. San Antonio now has more residents than Dallas.

The Dallas metro area is of course larger, Fort Worth alone has over 600,000 residents by itself. Population of that metro area is over 5.5 million, #5 in the country. Phoenix is further down the list, but a very respectable 3.7 million, #14 in the country, and knocking on the door of #13.

dalneighbor

Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:12 pm

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 45):
I don't think the city will be able to sell the voters on the bonds to fund any renovation at DAL. Hell we cannot even pay our police and firemen decent wages.

I think it would be an easy sell. The voters don't have to repay the bonds, it would come from the airlines that use the airport. I would think you would support this idea as it would surely raise the cost of doing business for WN at DAL and maybe even make it more costly to operate at DAL than DFW.
Wright Amendment = Federally Engineered AA Price Gouging

cjpark

Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting DALNeighbor (Reply 53):
I think it would be an easy sell. The voters don't have to repay the bonds, it would come from the airlines that use the airport. I would think you would support this idea as it would surely raise the cost of doing business for WN at DAL and maybe even make it more costly to operate at DAL than DFW.

You must be joking WN allowing fees at DAL to be increased to build a terminal that other airlines can use. Not in your wildest dreams. They would threaten to bail to another airport first.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

scoljet

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:43 am

Lets not forget that in today's competitive market cities are literally "paying" companies to set up shop in their community. WN could probable move their entire operation to Phoenix and still have money left over for pizza's!!

dalneighbor

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:42 am

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 54):
You must be joking WN allowing fees at DAL to be increased to build a terminal that other airlines can use. Not in your wildest dreams. They would threaten to bail to another airport first.

So you have another reason to push for it. 1. Cost of using DAL increases. 2. WN might just leave town. Sounds like a win for you.

I'd like to have the money invested to upgrade the terminal and to ensure that DAL remains open as a passenger facility. Sounds like a win for me.

I think we have just found common ground. Break out the Dom.

socalfive

Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting DALNeighbor (Reply 56):

Well it's a start DAL! Abstract, but a start all the same! lol

steeler83

Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:59 am

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 42):
When Pittsburg faced their USAir issue, it was not between two airlines, like that of Dallas. Perhaps if you respect my opinion, you can respect our precarious situation.

I do respect your opinion, I just did not see anyone post anything positive about Dallas and their stance in WN's situation with Wright. Now, I am getting both sides of the story. Thanks for your post

Quoting Socalfive (Reply 44):
I'm sure they've considered every possible scenario, except consulting someone like you who has the psychic vision that they'll be more profitable at DFW if they start flying from there under the wing of the eight hundred pound gorilla. You oughta give em a call!

I suppose you think I am meshuggena (nuts) for making this suggestion. Several people are suggesting they move to DFW; pardon me for jumping on the bandwagon... Or maybe you'd like to see WN be terminated by AA at their fortress that they call DFW...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

Junction

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting PassBureauMgr (Reply 28):
I don't see where WN states this as a threat. I simply see it as they are being entertained by PHX. There is a difference!

Exactly. This is PHX courting WN, not WN making a threat to leave Dallas. I am surprised though that WN didn’t move their headquarters to PHX years ago. PHX was the original cornerstone for much of their national growth. There is no question that TX only has the headquarters for sympathetic reasons.

cjpark

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting DALNeighbor (Reply 56):
So you have another reason to push for it. 1. Cost of using DAL increases. 2. WN might just leave town. Sounds like a win for you.

I'd like to have the money invested to upgrade the terminal and to ensure that DAL remains open as a passenger facility. Sounds like a win for me.

I see no reason to spend money on DAL period. Shut it down if WN moves its headquarters to PHX.
"Any airline that wants to serve the [region] can go to DFW today and fly anywhere they want," WN spokesman Ed Stewart

dalneighbor

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:39 am

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 60):
I see no reason to spend money on DAL period.

I thought you wanted to increase the cost of operating at DAL. I also thought you wanted to see WN leave the area and you stated that building a new terminal might just send them out of town.

Dude, don't reverse course and take away our common ground, our glimmer of hope, our olive branch.

Junction

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:44 am

It's also important to note that this is first time PHX has initiated the push to WN. In the past WN has said they may consider PHX, but this time PHX actually put a package together in the form of an offer. PHX has traditionally been glossed over by the HP presence, but has finally opened their eyes to the whole situation.

cjpark

Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:50 am

Quoting DALNeighbor (Reply 61):
I thought you wanted to increase the cost of operating at DAL. I also thought you wanted to see WN leave the area and you stated that building a new terminal might just send them out of town.

Dude, don't reverse course and take away our common ground, our glimmer of hope, our olive branch.

Nope there you go again.

Yes, I be happy if the City would increase the cost of doing business at DAL to the level of DFW to take away at least cost as a competitive advantage for DAL.

I have always said that I want WN at DFW.

Should WN leave Dallas well that would be like cutting your nose off to spite your face. But given the hysterics of the WN management team that is entirely possible.

Now read my statement below and tell me how you read all of what you said in post 61 into my statement below.

Quoting Cjpark (Reply 54):

What you should have read is that WN will not allow anything to increase their cost of doing business and that they would threaten to leave just to cajole the City to find other means of paying for the terminal renovation.

steeler83

Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:00 am

Quoting Junction (Reply 59):
This is PHX courting WN, not WN making a threat to leave Dallas. I am surprised though that WN didn’t move their headquarters to PHX years ago. PHX was the original cornerstone for much of their national growth. There is no question that TX only has the headquarters for sympathetic reasons.

Now THIS is a better reason for WN to leave Dallas, rather than saying that "Dallas is doing nothing to keep WN there,"  sarcastic . It would have been better if WN could have done its national growth out of its home base, but we all know why that never happened...

As for the fellow who apparently thinks WN moving into DFW is insane, think about this...
WN will be able to fly people out of Dallas to the top business markets in the nation, (BOS, MDW, LAX, Long Islel, and BWI, and numerous others) and vise versa. This will allow WN to offer their lower fares to everyone in Dallas who wish to fly those routes but can't due to the Wright Amendment. With lower fares than those at AA, that will generate a huge amount of demand, and they'll fly a ton of people. Look at such markets as LAS, MDW, and PHL - PHL in particular... They went into a major US fortress and did extremely well, they went from just a dozen flights daily to over 60; all their routes out of PHL made money for the carrier. (If there were unprofitable routes, then they would have been dropped.) Look when they added PIT, growth wasn't as swift when they entered PHL, but there's still demand. I think they're going to add a few more destinations shortly as well as more flights. (PHL flights have doubled since start up with only 4 daily...) Yes, I jumped on the bandwagon, but not without doing homework...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

skyharborshome

Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:26 am

Quoting Legend500 (Reply 51):
PHX is too small, poorly located, underfunded, politically weak and high-tax for any Texas corporation in Dallas or Houston to ever give PHX a second look. USAA was having so much fun out in Phoenix that they moved their HQ back to San Antonio last year.

Ummmm.... do you have any idea how many corporations have HQs here? As far as your USAA comment, they continue to grow operations and add divisions. My friends that work there are happier than I ever would have imagined.

Now WN coming here would be cause for great celebration. I think it is more of a threat tactic but let us remember PHX approached them this time. Once more WN makes a good move by considering other options; something that has kept them profitable.
Fly CHD!

legend500

Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:47 pm

Quoting SkyHarborsHome (Reply 65):
Ummmm.... do you have any idea how many corporations have HQs here?

Yes. Phoenix has 5 fortune 500 Companies, Which fails to make the top 20. DFW has 19, putting it just behind Los Angeles.

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 52):

Phoenix - 1,418,041
Dallas - 1,210,393. San Antonio now has more residents than Dallas.

Don't forget Atlanta!
Atlanta - 416,474

City-only population is a horrible way to measure "size".

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 52):
The Phoenix metro area is one of the country's fastest growing.

Pinal County is the fastest growing county in Arizona and 69th in the nation. This puts it behind #4 Rockwall County, #13 Collin County, #23 Denton County, and #50 Kaufman County, all in the DFW metro area.

Sorry to  flamed  , but this comes on the heels of many people poking their noses in on something that is not yet their business....

steeler83

Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:41 pm

Quoting SkyHarborsHome (Reply 65):
Once more WN makes a good move by considering other options; something that has kept them profitable.

PHX allowed WN to grow into a national airline instead of just regional service which it started out with back in the '70s

HPRamper

Fri Mar 03, 2006 2:56 pm

Quoting Legend500 (Reply 66):
City-only population is a horrible way to measure "size".

Which is why I also included metro area sizes.

Pinal County is the fastest growing county in Arizona and 69th in the nation. This puts it behind #4 Rockwall County, #13 Collin County, #23 Denton County, and #50 Kaufman County, all in the DFW metro area.

And this changes what I said how? No, Phoenix is not growing as fast as Dallas, or Vegas. But it is growing.

but this comes on the heels of many people poking their noses in on something that is not yet their business....

I don't quite understand what you mean by this.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos