kdm
Topic Author

Air New Zealand Versus Singapore Airlines

Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:14 pm

Is ANZ service standard now on a par with SQ? For the last 6 years I have avoided ANZ due to there average service offering with regards to the likes of IFE etc and have mostly flown SQ with the odd flight on VS, BA and Malaysian Airlines for long haul.

Now that ANZ has cabins with flat beds in business etc does this bring them in line with SQ and other airlines or are they now superior? My gut feeling is that they have merely caught up after a very long time behind but I may be wrong.

TinkerBelle

RE: Air New Zealand Versus Singapore Airlines

Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:25 pm

I guess it all depends on who you ask coz it comes down to personal preference. I've never flown either but from what I've read here on A.net, ANZ is right up there with SQ and CX service wise.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

Broocy

Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:16 am

I would check Skytrax star ratings on www.airlinequality.com . That will give a fairly accurate break down of the performance of each airline across all classes and in fields such as cabin crew attitude/service, IFE quality, seat comfort etc.

From what I have seen on a.net posts, someone saying that airline xyz is great, usually prompts replies that say no it isn't.

TG992

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:55 am

kdm - as an NZ f/a I'm no doubt biased, but I believe that our business class PRODUCT (ie seat and IFE) is now definitely superior to SQ's. The SQ CEO admitted as much at the last Star Alliance CEO gathering.

The SERVICE aspect comes down to what you prefer - SQ f/as tend to be more subservient/deferential, while our style is more laidback and friendly. SQ use far more crew on their aircraft than we have the luxury of having (something like 18 compared to 14 on a 744).
-

767er

Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:11 am

Yes I agree with TG992....its all about your preferance. Personally. I think both SQ & NZ are both great airlines but i do prefer NZ more laid back, friendly style. I imagine SQ is quite an autcratic company to work for as well.

Yes NZs new J product definently beats Raflles hands down which is starting to look tired IMHO.
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

kdm
Topic Author

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:34 am

Well maybe it is time to give ANZ another go. I do like the laid back approach to service but then always do feel very spoilt on SQ. Does ANZ have 1st class on the new outfitted cabins. Although not a regular 1st class flier it is a good way to use FF points up when you want over the top comfort and service.

I think ANZ are now flying the 777 into Singapore (which is where I am based at present) Does it go beyond Singapore or is the only option to go to Europe through the US?

And lastly I agree that Raffles is getting a bit tired, and the mostly flat seats are good but you do tend to slip down on a long flight. I assume that with the A380 SQ will put in brand new seats etc through out, maybe this will prompt a refit to he other aircraft over the coming years.

nzrich

Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:51 am

Quoting Kdm (Reply 5):
Well maybe it is time to give ANZ another go. I do like the laid back approach to service but then always do feel very spoilt on SQ. Does ANZ have 1st class on the new outfitted cabins. Although not a regular 1st class flier it is a good way to use FF points up when you want over the top comfort and service.

I think ANZ are now flying the 777 into Singapore (which is where I am based at present) Does it go beyond Singapore or is the only option to go to Europe through the US?

And lastly I agree that Raffles is getting a bit tired, and the mostly flat seats are good but you do tend to slip down on a long flight. I assume that with the A380 SQ will put in brand new seats etc through out, maybe this will prompt a refit to he other aircraft over the coming years.

No we no longer have 1st class but our Business Premier is very very good ..
The seats in Business Premier turn into a totally flat bed ..
Im Also Air NZ crew so a bit biased .. We do not fly beyond Singapore so at the moment Europe is only Accessed via Los Angeles thou talk is that Via Hong Kong looks on the cards ..
"Pride of the pacific"

ZKSUJ

Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:14 am

Both are great airlines. However, if you are looking to travel regularly, I think SQ may be the way to go just purely because their route network is more extensive than NZ's at the moment.

However, head to head my personla preference would be to travel NZ. Something about the more relaxed atmosphere, seems more personal.

koruman

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:19 am

The seating on NZ is now clearly superior in Business and Economy, but of course SQ still has First Class.

SQ has more flight attendants per passenger, so obviously service is more comprehensive with them.

Simpilicity

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:01 pm

no contest.

SQ (& all Asian airlines for that matter) has MUCH better service than NZ.

Kiwis like Australians don't like being subservient, unlike Asians.

Qantasclub

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:06 pm

SQ's service levels and refinement are WAY above NZs. Juts a different service culture altogether, and the same goes for QF.
In terms of the physical product, seats, etc-they are more on par.
But I'd fly SQ over NZ anyday.
And to all those who continually label the SQ flight attendants as 'robotic' and simple subservient, they work BLOODY hard-just observe what they do, in any class within a given frame of time and you will be more than impressed, especially the ones in Y class. Lets be honest, when you say the service is 'laid back' on airlines like ANZ, etc....it really means that they are lazy and are not expected to do anywhere near the same amount of work as thier asian counterparts.
Long Haul is the only way to go

Simpilicity

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:11 pm

Quoting Qantasclub (Reply 10):
SQ's service levels and refinement are WAY above NZs. Juts a different service culture altogether, and the same goes for QF.
In terms of the physical product, seats, etc-they are more on par.
But I'd fly SQ over NZ anyday.
And to all those who continually label the SQ flight attendants as 'robotic' and simple subservient, they work BLOODY hard-just observe what they do, in any class within a given frame of time and you will be more than impressed, especially the ones in Y class. Lets be honest, when you say the service is 'laid back' on airlines like ANZ, etc....it really means that they are lazy and are not expected to do anywhere near the same amount of work as thier asian counterparts.

Couldn't have said it better myself !!!

767er

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:15 pm

Yes I must say the SQ FAs work bloody hard but then so do NZs and QFs -and with less crew to boot. I would not equate laid back with lazy - just different cultures. Just because someone works 12 hours a day does neceassarily make them as productive as someone that works 7 hours a day unless you have the misfortune to work in a factory or a call centre.

BTW...Simplicity.......not having a dig but would you honestly rate Garuda or PAL, AI or Biman above NZ?
Aircraft flown:F27,Viscount. EMB120, SAAB340, ATR70, 737-200.737-300,DC8, DC10,747-100,747-200,747-300,747-400, A320, A3

superhub

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:16 pm

5 years ago, I would not have imagined there will be a SQ vs NZ war....Today, I finally witness a historic moment.

767er

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:27 pm

Superhub...It could be worse.....QF v NZ....now that would be a war!!!!

Simpilicity

Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:43 pm

Quoting 767ER (Reply 12):
BTW...Simplicity.......not having a dig but would you honestly rate Garuda or PAL, AI or Biman above NZ?

OK, point taken ... should have said most major Asian carriers, like CX, JL, KE, CI, China Eastern, Royal Brunei, MH, etc.

aerohottie

Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:00 pm

Quoting Simpilicity (Reply 15):
OK, point taken ... should have said most major Asian carriers, like CX, JL, KE, CI, China Eastern, Royal Brunei, MH, etc.

You really think KE, CI, Royal Brunei, China Eastern and even JL are better than NZ????
JL maybe, sometimes... but the others???
I seriously have to disagree.
I would go as far as to say the only airlines even in the same league as NZ in the asia pacific region are QF, SQ, MH, CX... maybe TN, TG on a very good day with their new product, and.... nope I think thats about it.
What?

airnewzealand

Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:18 pm

Interesting to see that 'laidback' is classed as lazy...

Working for Qantas i can state that we certainly are not 'lazy' far from it really!!!

You say that they work hard...well lets see...

SQ have 18 flight attendants onboard (747)...
EK have 18 flight attendants onboard (777)...
MH have 19 flight attendants onboard (747)...
KE have 18 flight attendants onboard (747)...
NZ have 14 flight attendants onboard (747)...
QF have 14/15 flight attendants onboard (744/744-3)..

Lets see... we both do EXACTLY the same meal options... we both clean toilets throughout the night.... we both do Water and Juice (QF dont) runs... We both do safety/security checks... oh an extras such as Snack On Q, Water bottles... grabbing call lights...

Now lets see... With a crew of say in Y/C QF have on 3 in the night for our minimum config of 315pax (this can get up to 366pax for 3 flighties).. we still have to do... Call lights, waters, toilets, and security checks, not to mention preparing for the next service...

SQ have 5 flighties on down the back during the night and do exactly the same as us!!!

Now if you think outside the square and LOOK at this you will see that QF/NZ flighties are not lazy...to the contrary we MUST work alot harder with less crew...
Thats the rule of thumb... less crew= more pax = harder work...
more crew= less pax = less work!!!

But back to the original thread...
NZ are fantastic no matter what class you fly!! they are laid back- not lazy as people tend to think... and do work ALOT harder!
Enjoy your next flight with whateva airline it may be and respect the crew!!!!

Cheers

superhub

Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:34 pm

Quoting AirNewZealand (Reply 17):
You say that they work hard...well lets see...

SQ have 18 flight attendants onboard (747)...
EK have 18 flight attendants onboard (777)...
MH have 19 flight attendants onboard (747)...
KE have 18 flight attendants onboard (747)...
NZ have 14 flight attendants onboard (747)...
QF have 14/15 flight attendants onboard (744/744-3)..

Oh..be careful about this argument. The SQ supporters will now say: "Look, there is a lower cabin crew/pax ratio on NZ, so fly SQ."

Qantasclub

Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:47 pm

Quoting AirNewZealand (Reply 17):
Lets see... we both do EXACTLY the same meal options... we both clean toilets throughout the night.... we both do Water and Juice (QF dont) runs... We both do safety/security checks... oh an extras such as Snack On Q, Water bottles... grabbing call lights...

SQ has newspaper runs in Y, as well as hot towels before EACH meal (distribution And collection, so 2 extra runs), menus, a much wider range of alcoholic beverages AND elaborate cocktails in Y, they are also MUCH quicker (and happier as a rule) to respond to passenger requests and do twice as many water/juice runs on long haul flights.

airnewzealand

Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:16 pm

LOL....Qantas club...

and get ready cause as from March 24th...so will we!!! (Qantas) and alot more too boot...
watch this space...

Incl. a tuck down service offering hot chocolate/green tea range!!!

Enjoy our new service!!

Cheers

PS: It is also a STATED fact that juice onboard flights dehydrates you....thus why we at QF are not allowed to do them unless requested!!! Cheers!

TG992

Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:24 pm

Quoting Qantasclub (Reply 19):
they are also MUCH quicker (and happier as a rule) to respond to passenger requests and do twice as many water/juice runs on long haul flights.

I wish you'd stop presenting your experiences as biblical fact. On ANY airline you will experience a mixture of staff, just like you do in any other situation in the world. The following comments are pasted verbatim from http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/sia_1a.htm. Before anyone goes moaning about me being an SQ-hater, my flights with them have been pleasant, although unexceptional and my ex-partner was in fact an SQ f/a. I just simply want to illustrate that SQ's style doesn't suit everyone.

Singapore Airlines
During my recent flight taken with SQ from HKG to SIN, cabin crews did not respond to call button - I pressed the button 4 times and there were still no body came. They seemed to do just what their job suppose to to and not anything extra

But the most disappointing feature of the trip to MEL from SIN was the surly attitude of the female flight attendant and male steward serving on the upper deck of the B747-400 . Not only were they rude and arrogant, they lacked the courtesy and manners when speaking to full fare paying passengers.

The service from the flight attendants was also poor. They did not do a drink service before meals like on other airlines and they were pretty rushed to get trays back, regardless if a passenger was finished.

On board the FAs were a mix of either very helpful or very disinterested

Service was just very average, and the cabin crew appeared to be mechanical not intrested.

Since this is a night flight, crew disappeared after serving meals. My request for soft drinks during meal time was forgotten and needed to be reminded.

Shouldn't the crew be trained to ensure both are on the trolley in the first place and be trained to no the difference between a German Reisling and French White?
-

TBCITDG

Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:31 pm

Come on guys/gals!!
All because NZ have re-fitted their cabins years after it's competitors have does not mean that they can go head to head in battle.
Flat beds does not neseceraly mean that you automatically have a great airlne!
Does NZ offer a free shuttle service to downtown AKL just as SQ do in SIN?
Does NZ even have a premium cabin on par with the likes of BA EK,CX,MH,TH,SQ or even QF for that matter?
Does NZ have the extensive route network offered by SQ?
All NZ is doing is merely catching up. Thats all!
Irrespective of the number of crew provided by certain carriers, the fact remains that they do so to provide "additional" service. Not only on board but also on the ground.
So come on, please! NZ vs SQ???
Don't think so!

airnewzealand

Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:34 pm

Also...
ofcourse theyll do twice as many drinks runs... they basiclly have twice as many crew!!!

Cheers

flyjetstar

Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:53 pm

It is rather annoying to see that Austrtalians on this thread aren't able to look past NZ and be objective about what NZ is doing to consider that maybe they are doing real well at the moment.

There are some stupid points on this thread containing no substance.

TBCITDG

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:02 pm

Fly!
Come on!
What NZ is doing is great and LOOOOONNNNNG overdue!
But you cannot compare NZ with the likes of EK, BA, and SQ!!

MD-90

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:07 pm

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 20):
It is also a STATED fact that juice onboard flights dehydrates you

?? Carbonated beverages like Coke aren't the best way to stay hydrated, but juice doesn't dehydrate. Alcohol, however, does.

Quoting Airnewzealand (Reply 20):
Incl. a tuck down service offering hot chocolate/green tea range!!!

Caffeine is the last thing I want before trying to sleep...

TG992

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:10 pm

Quoting TBCITDG (Reply 22):
Does NZ even have a premium cabin on par with the likes of BA EK,CX,MH,TH,SQ or even QF for that matter?

Um.. yes .. we do.

Next question?
-

TinkerBelle

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:17 pm

Quoting Qantasclub (Reply 10):
it really means that they are lazy and are not expected to do anywhere near the same amount of work as thier asian counterparts.

You're definately plain biased towards NZ. I understand though, I guess I can say UA's service is better than your QF's then right?  duck 

Quoting Flyjetstar (Reply 24):
t is rather annoying to see that Austrtalians on this thread aren't able to look past NZ

There are some stupid points on this thread containing no substance.

checkmark 
If you are going through hell, keep going.

flyjetstar

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:27 pm

Quoting TBCITDG (Reply 25):
Fly!
Come on!
What NZ is doing is great and LOOOOONNNNNG overdue!
But you cannot compare NZ with the likes of EK, BA, and SQ!!

I agree they are long overdue.

Comparisons are difficult. I could tell you of negative experiences on both BA, EK and SQ along with fantastic ones. It's subjective. My experiences on NZ have been great so to me they are on a par.

The times I have flown QF have not been great so QF is not an airline I choose to fly BUT thats been my experience, to then go on to make the leap that QF is lousy is not credible.

[Edited 2006-03-05 07:29:39]

Qantasclub

Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:42 pm

It is rather annoying to see that Austrtalians on this thread aren't able to look past NZ and be objective about what NZ is doing to consider that maybe they are doing real well at the moment.

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 28):
You're definately plain biased towards NZ. I understand though, I guess I can say UA's service is better than your QF's then right?

Not true at all. In fact, for the record, I consider the Y service on Qantas to be quite similar than NZ. The same indifferent 'laid back' type service with the occasional exceptional flight with a fantastic crew.
The observations I have made directly onboard SQ are consistent and I am totally convinced that they are on any given day, more attentive, efficient and provide a vastly superior service level to most other airlines, including those we have discussed.
So for me, no contest at all between NZ or even QF in favour of SQ.
Sigh, it's such a pity they have such a crap frequent flyer programe though.

But Tinkerbelle-seriously....you can't really compare UA to Qantas or ANZ.

[Edited 2006-03-05 07:58:23]

TG992

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:21 pm

Could your preference for SQ's service have anything to do with the fact that you're of Asian extraction, by any chance?
-

xiaotung

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:29 pm

One big difference is that SQ typically has young female flight attendants who are under 30 and easy on the eye, while NZ employ more male attendants who sometimes can be rude and maybe kinda racist to Asian faces, according to several Chinese friends of mine.

TG992

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:34 pm

Often the cries of racism come when we enforce cabin safety rules - on the HKG route overweight and excess cabin baggage are a particular problem. It seems these are handed to family and friends to hold during the checkin/cabin baggage vetting process, then reclaimed I have NEVER experienced an NZ cabin attendant being genuinely racist.

BTW, Xiaotung, would you mind giving me your email address, by contacting me through my profile? I'd like to ask you a couple of questions.
-

ZKSUJ

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:34 pm

Before the war continues, let me just say that it depends on the crew on the flight on that particular day. I have seen people being treated like crap on SQ, but then again I have seen some good things. Same goes for every airline.

The style is a personal preference as well. Laid back does not mean lazy, I think it means a bit more improvising on the part of the FA.

For example, I like how NZ FA's leave you alone when you are sleeping when breakfast comes around, while all my SQ flights so far I have been waken up by a FA shoving a hot towel into my face waking me up even when I don't want to eat (This is with the do not disturb sticker thing on as well).

Its a matter of personal preference!!!

NZ747

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:36 pm

From my experience with both airlines,

*Product (Seats, IFE etc...): Air New Zealand.
*Service, amenities, food: Singapore Airlines.

NZ747

[Edited 2006-03-05 08:39:08]

vtdl

Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:41 pm

For service, I think SQ is classier and a bit better as a whole. NZ's ground service is terrible, in my case, LAX and AKL. Checkin counters and gates are crammed at some remote corner. They told forever to check you in. I must say NZ seats are much more comfortable, but those planes are old. I am not complaining but SQ is better.

v2fix

Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:20 pm

Just to pull this thread back form the brink of going down obscure path of this country v my country...

TG992's orginal post last paragraph is very much whats its about.

I have flown SQ (Business Class). The service was excellant. Very attentive. Possibily overly so for me and my wife - there was more than a strong hint of 'subservient/deferential' service - which I do not expect from ANY person providing a service.

I have flown NZ (Business Class). The service was excellant. Attentive. Polite. Treated like mature passengers. As individuals. Welcoming, but not over imposing.

I have flown QF (Business Class). The service was poor. Rude FA's (bar one). Summed up as 'disinterested'. Never again. But this bad flight (4 years ago - and inforced by another bad eperience in Y class 6 months later) has 'set' my view about flying QF (and Yes - I know I should re-experience them - but why should I as a consumer take the risk ?)

That's it. As a passenger based on my experience above I would choose NZ (or SQ) over QF. My view is unique and differenent from everyone elses on board ths same flights. My poor view of QF may not have been shared by the other 349 paxs on the same flight.

It just highlights what a difficult job (and an important one) FA's do. Trying to please all 350+ people onboard is a real art. But an important one as it does influence peoples decisions for future flights.
742; 744; DC10, DC3, 321, 320, 319, 170,190, 772, 773,333, 346, 343

777ER
Head Moderator

Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:54 pm

Quoting Vtdl (Reply 36):
For service, I think SQ is classier and a bit better as a whole. NZ's ground service is terrible, in my case, LAX and AKL.

Well NZ doesn't really have a say as to where its gates/check-in and how crammed the check-in and gates are, thats upto the airport
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

planemanofnz

Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:02 pm

SQ still beats NZ hands down. But, I think this is just because NZ only have 14 flight attendants on their 747's. NZ have bigger ptv's (in economy), bigger seat pitches, but I still think SQ's AVOD is better than NZ's.
Does anybody here think NZ is capable of getting a 5 star rating on Skytrax?

nzrich

Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:10 pm

Quoting Xiaotung (Reply 32):
One big difference is that SQ typically has young female flight attendants who are under 30 and easy on the eye, while NZ employ more male attendants who sometimes can be rude and maybe kinda racist to Asian faces, according to several Chinese friends of mine.

This comment is interesting !!! just because im male doesnt mean you will get bad service from me and as for racist personally i believe it is because of a language barrier, most crew do not speak the local asian language we are flying to in asia, making communication more difficult for us .. Yes its always very hard for us to show off our great relaxed service when there are language barriers...Also most of our Asian Passengers are used to the service provided by Asian carriers so they are not used to our relaxed style ..The crew i have worked with both male female (nz asian/ and nz european) on the whole try their best to provide a quality service to all passengers ...
"Pride of the pacific"

Qantasclub

Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:35 pm

Quoting TG992 (Reply 31):
Could your preference for SQ's service have anything to do with the fact that you're of Asian extraction, by any chance?

Quite a ridiculous statement, but no, not at all. Just ask the thousands of Australians who have enabled SQ to fill thrice daily flights out of SYD and MEL.

zvezda

Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:39 pm

Quoting 767ER (Reply 4):
Yes NZs new J product definently beats Raflles hands down which is starting to look tired IMHO.

Quoting Kdm (Reply 5):
I agree that Raffles is getting a bit tired,

SQ will be introducing new Raffles class seats with the introduction of the B777-300ER scheduled for Q3, though there are rumors this may have been pushed back to Q4 to coincide with the late delivery of the WhaleJet (which will also get the new Raffles seats). I'm looking forward to it because the SpaceBeds leave something to be desired.

As for service, I fly SQ a lot in J class. My only service complaint is that they get my drink order wrong too often (sparkling water, no ice, no citrus shouldn't be difficult). Aside from that, the service is excellent. Unless I chug it down, I cannot empty my water glass because the stewardesses are so attentive. One recent case stands out. I had a four hour night flight on SQ in J. I was handed a menu as soon as I was seated and I told the stewardess that I wouldn't be eating because I needed to sleep the entire flight. She asked "Would you like to have your meal now?" They served me three courses before pushback, dessert as we were pushing back, and collected the dessert about when we got clearance to move to the power position. I don't easily imagine any other airline I've flown would do that.

NZ107

Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:45 pm

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 42):
SQ will be introducing new Raffles class seats with the introduction of the B777-300ER

So what makes you think that SQ's flights to AKL will be flown by the 77W?
It's all about the destination AND the journey.

zvezda

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:09 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 43):

I didn't write that SQ would operate the B777-300ER to AKL (or CHC). However, SQ will be replacing all the SpaceBeds with the new seat.

xiaotung

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:12 pm

Quoting Nzrich (Reply 40):
This comment is interesting !!! just because im male doesnt mean you will get bad service from me and as for racist personally i believe it is because of a language barrier, most crew do not speak the local asian language we are flying to in asia, making communication more difficult for us .. Yes its always very hard for us to show off our great relaxed service when there are language barriers...Also most of our Asian Passengers are used to the service provided by Asian carriers so they are not used to our relaxed style ..The crew i have worked with both male female (nz asian/ and nz european) on the whole try their best to provide a quality service to all passengers ...

Thanks for sharing your opinion. The experiences my friends had wasn't because of language barriers. They attend university here in New Zealand. I will tell you what they expereinced. Both happened on HKG-AKL route.

My friend A feels a little hungary and he presses the crew call button on his seat hoping to get some snack. One of your crew members comes and tells my friend immediately that the button is for emergency only and not to touch it again unless it's emergency. My friends fights back and tells him that his hunger IS an emergency and swears never take NZ flights again. If not mistaken, that button is for passengers who need help. I have pressed the button asking for food, ordering inflight duty free, and all kinds of things on Asian carriers. I can be wrong, but the experience certainly is unpleasant.

My friend B asks one of your cabin crew for some drinks but he doesn't hear him so my friends slightly touches his shoulder to draw his attention. The f/a jumps up as if he was sexually harassed and demands an apology. Never have I seen a passenger apologizing to a f/a like that. Well, he's not going to take NZ flight ever again as well.

My friends could be wrong maybe I am not sure, it's just the way your cabin crew censure my friends as if they did something awfully wrong. They gotta at least ask them nicely what to do and what not to do.

aerorobnz

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:14 pm

Quoting NZ107 (Reply 43):

SQ281/2 will be operated by 77W...

As for airlines I'll tell you once I've flown NZ longhaul. I can't fault SQ, but I can't fault my many of my colleagues either.

Our new product, barring a few issues is top notch in both forms of economy, and to many preferences in business at all. I have to say I like the seats in economy a lot, but I'm unsure if I'll enjoy the business seats until I try them in April.
Flown to 147 Airports in 62 Countries on 83 Operators and counting. Wanderlust is like Syphilis, once you have the itch it's too late for treatment.

jakob77

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:35 pm

Quoting Xiaotung (Reply 32):
NZ employ more male attendants who sometimes can be rude and maybe kinda racist to Asian faces, according to several Chinese friends of mine

funny how on asians flying on non-asian airlines feel being discriminated while on asian airlines, asian passengers complain the crew treat westerners better.

Quoting Planemanofnz (Reply 39):
SQ still beats NZ hands down. But, I think this is just because NZ only have 14 flight attendants on their 747's

it's not the number of FAs the matter but the ratio between crew and passengers..
i dunno how many pax SQ configures their 744s and NZ as well so for all we know SQ might just put 300 seats on their 744s while NZ puts 400.
anyone can enlighten how many seats they put on their planes?

something tells me that SQ has less seats. SQ has First / Biz / Economy class on and NZ with only Biz / Premier Economy / Economy.

Lufthansa

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:47 pm

Quoting MD-90 (Reply 26):
Coke aren't the best way to stay hydrated, but juice doesn't dehydrate. Alcohol, however, does.

What's your airline, if they serve coke onboard international, consider me sold!

Quoting ZKSUJ (Reply 34):
Laid back does not mean lazy, I think it means a bit more improvising on the part of the FA.

I have two thoughts on this. I agree with QFClub in that basically if they stick more people on board than needed, and above the level of others, they're doing that for the purpose of service. However I do have this one comment as far as 'laid back' is concerned. Soon, I am planning a trip to Hong Kong hopefully impress my soon to be partner (little shopping trip). Now, It is almost certain that I will only be flying on either virgin atlantic or Qantas, because i can't see Asian flight crew reacting very well to a bunch of gay boys sitting in the back of economy drinking way too much champange and then one falling asleep in the others arms. As much as I like SQ, I can't see the likes of them or Cathay being to happy about this (maybe somebody would care to comment?). I don't however, see Virgin or QF staff having a problem with this, provided we are right up the back of economy and aren't making too much noise. So this is perhaps part of what 'laid back' means?

If it were just me travelling alone however, it would be a different story. Comment most welcome.

Lufthansa

Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:53 pm

Quoting Qantasclub (Reply 41):
Quoting TG992 (Reply 31):

Quite a ridiculous statement, but no, not at all. Just ask the thousands of Australians who have enabled SQ to fill thrice daily flights out of SYD and MEL.

I completely agree with QFClub. That is a ridiculous statement. I'm a blonde haired blue eyed Australian and I couldn't agree more re SQ. I'm one of those people jumping on the thrice daily.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos