BigGSFO
Topic Author

AA Eagle Revises On-board Offerings

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:28 am

Alitalia744

RE: AA Eagle Revises On-board Offerings

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:40 am

Wow, the BOB snackbox is exactly what Delta gives for free on flights 1500mi+.

Airlines should take a lesson from Continental - they still provide a meal, even if it's a small sandwich and salad to their customers. Second IMO is Delta which offers a variety of snacks on shorter flights and on longer flights the snack box and a second round of snacks.
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

SeeTheWorld

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:42 am

This was another legacy (albeit AA Eagle) bonehead experiment. Who the heck thought people wouldn't just moan and groan over this one. Another example of the "here's-a-great-way-to-get-more-revenue" department usurping the power of the "is-this-even-remotely-logical" department.

Charging for sodas - Yea, that's a great idea! DOH!

Tan Flyr

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:42 am

Quoting SeeTheWorld (Reply 2):
This was another legacy (albeit AA Eagle) bonehead experiment. Who the heck thought people wouldn't just moan and groan over this one. Another example of the "here's-a-great-way-to-get-more-revenue" department usurping the power of the "is-this-even-remotely-logical" department.

Well, maybe it is..just not at this time and or in this manner.

As a stockholder as well as Advantage Plat. I tend to look at these things from both viewpoints. Everything on board costs something..to initially purchase and to inventory, stock and accounting as well as fuel to lift it.

It all adds up.

Now you wouldn't go to the theatre and expect a free bucket of popcorn and a 28 oz soda included with your ticket.(although for the price of a movie ticket..well that's another thread!)

Times have changed in hundreds of industries..who would have thought even 10 years ago that rebates and 0% financing would almost be the norm in the US Auto business. 30 years ago most service stations were just that, where someone fueled your auto, washed the windshield, etc..good luck finding many of those these days.(Heck I even remember when you could take your car to a service station ( I seem to recall Gulf & Texaco) and get a nice hand car wash for a buck, or if they had serviced it they washed it for free)( ok, I showed my age!!!)

As we all know air transportation has changed also..it is mass transportation.
Everyone looks at the fares on the web and makes a decision..mostly based on price it seems.

This time it was not a good decision and it was changed. OK..no big deal. But there is never a "free" lunch. Those of you in business or own a business surely know this.There is always a "cost" somewhere.

These carriers need to make a profit..and soon.

SeeTheWorld

Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:45 am

Quoting Tan flyr (Reply 3):
Now you wouldn't go to the theatre and expect a free bucket of popcorn and a 28 oz soda included with your ticket.(although for the price of a movie ticket..well that's another thread!)

I would expect it if the theater always offered free soda since the beginning of time, and all the other theaters in the neighborhood were still offering free sodas.

I'm not saying it's not a cost, I'm saying it was a bonehead experiment.

SNATH

Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:54 am

Tell that to bmi!!!

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

AA737-823

Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:18 am

although for the price of a movie ticket..well that's another thread!

You hit the nail on the head, but not the one you were aiming at.
When I am paying $400 to fly from Dallas to Austin, you'd better danged sure give me a free coke.
If I can fly Southwest for $159 and not only get free coke but an ENTIRE BAG of free pretzels, suddenly your product looks stupid.

As a stockholder, you should have lead a coup, overthrown AA's headquarters, and taken over as CEO.

semsem

Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:33 am

That snack box is a joke. AA serve it for breakfast and snacktime on European flights. It would be better to serve nothing.

Cory6188

Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:32 am

30 years ago most service stations were just that, where someone fueled your auto, washed the windshield, etc

Well, I know this is off topic, but since as required by law in NJ we only have full service gas stations (and oddly enough some of the lowest gas prices in the country), many of the attendants still do clean the windshield, check the oil, etc. while your car is being filled. They don't have much else to do anyway. Not always, by any means, and often times not in the winter because you wouldn't want the fluid to freeze on your windshield and because the guy doesn't want to stand outside in the cold, but it still does happen with some frequency here...

SNATH

Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:35 am

Quoting Semsem (Reply 7):
That snack box is a joke. AA serve it for breakfast and snacktime on European flights. It would be better to serve nothing.

I couldn't agree with you more. After not quite sleeping for several hours in a flight to Europe, the last thing you want is to be given that god-awful snack box.

Tony

DTWAGENT

Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:39 am

And if that is not bad enough. People who have paid $700 or more to fly to Hawaii have to PAY for there food in coach. This is just crazy. DL and UA consider this as in International flight and food service is FREE. Except for alcohol of course..... AA is just trying to get all the money it can. I have flown on AA this weekend and the flight crew were great. But, If I fly to HNL or OGG it will not be on AA.....

N659AA

Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:54 am

Quoting DTWAGENT (Reply 10):
People who have paid $700 or more to fly to Hawaii have to PAY for there food in coach. This is just crazy. DL and UA consider this as in International flight and food service is FREE

My family and I flew SFO-HNL-SFO back in December and UA was charging for their snack boxes. So I do not believe UA has free meals.

Anyone else think otherwise?

boeingguy1

Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:11 am

Quoting N659AA (Reply 11):

UA Offers free "meals" on flights from SFO/LAX-NYC.
"...Gatwick South!? Id rather crash in Brighton!"

lincoln

Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:28 am

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 8):
Well, I know this is off topic, but since as required by law in NJ we only have full service gas stations (and oddly enough some of the lowest gas prices in the country), many of the attendants still do clean the windshield, check the oil, etc. while your car is being filled

When I drove through Oregon a year ago (the only other state, IIRC, to prohibit "self serve" gas) "Miniserv" was the only thing I could find (there's an employee working 4-6 pumps... takes your credit card, shoves the nozzle in, moves to the next pump but doesn't do windshields or anything else). It was also the cheapest gas I've seen in the past two years (Medford, OR -- near my grandparent's place -- something like $1.67/gal)

For that price I didn't really mind just sitting in my car thinking about how stupid it was that I was paying someone to do something that I was perfectly capible of when I had nothing better to do

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

jacobin777

Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:43 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 1):

mabye that's why they are broke and had to file for bankruptcy.. Wink

it was only on a few selected routes, it didn't work, not the soda is back free of charge..no big deal..
"Up the Irons!"

UAPremierGuy

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:03 am

Quoting N659AA (Reply 11):
My family and I flew SFO-HNL-SFO back in December and UA was charging for their snack boxes. So I do not believe UA has free meals.

Quoting Boeingguy1 (Reply 12):
UA Offers free "meals" on flights from SFO/LAX-NYC.

Correct, and Correct. UA no longer offers free meals on flights to Hawaii from any destination within the United States. UA's Meal Policy is as follows within all destinations in North America*: Flights Under 3.5 Hours: Free beverage service, no meal service, or BoB available. Flights 3.5 hours - 5 Hours: United Snackboxes are available for purchase (Choice of 4) for $5.00 each. Flights 5 hours or longer: Fresh Meal or Snackbox available for purchase for $5.00 each.

The exceptions to this are, obviously F & C class flights, flights between JFK-LAX/SFO (as noted above) on UA's p.s. Service, and flights from the U.S. to Mexico CITY, only.

Sad that they don't offer free meals anymore, especially when flying on the 8 hour ORD-HNL flight.
It's Time To Fly!

MAH4546

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:11 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 1):

Wow, American Eagle doesn't fly anything over 1371mi.
a.

AA777

Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:31 am

Quoting SNATH (Reply 9):
I couldn't agree with you more. After not quite sleeping for several hours in a flight to Europe, the last thing you want is to be given that god-awful snack box.

When was the last time any of you had a 'good' meal on any airline in economy class? I flew KLM and AF in january IAD-AMS-DXB-CDG-IAD, and I found that their economy product was no better than AA's (MIA-EZE-MIA)...(Except KLM had the best IFE). My point is...

people complain no matter what they get. If they get food, its not tasty enough. If they dont get food, they complain about the lack of yucky food. Well thats not very smart of the pax. Either appreciate the food you pay for or stop whining when the airlines take it away.

In my opinion AA should give free sodas and pretzels/ chips on their flights. At this point, its true, economy class is just that; economy. Its not glamorous anymore to fly. People fly because they want to go point A to point B. I personally dont fly on WN becuase they fly from BWI, which is way far out from where I live.... AA has better benefits when it comes to FF miles, services (admirals clubs...)... (I.e., you can go almost anywhere...).

Unfortunately, AA has the largest fleet in the world, and fuel prices are driving these problems more than anything. Because AA is the biggest they obviously have the biggest costs, and so cutting here and there may make the difference between the red and the black.... Reduce fuel by a dollar and see what happens. They'd be making good money.... but such is life.

-AA777

MSNtriathlete

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:38 pm

Just flew MSN-DFW on Eagle a few days ago, and they had the new snackboxes. Having not gotten breakfast, I tried it, and it wasn't bad. The Quaker breakfast bar and raisins were healthy, and, of course, the other stuff was not. It was nice to have a few snacks for my connecting flight. 3 dollars seemed reasonable, although Continental Express gives out better snackboxes on the MSN-EWR ERJ flight for free. Overall, this seemed appropriate for an RJ flight, though I'd be quite upset to see that on a Hawaii or Europe flight.

As far as the soda-for-purchase idea, it seems consistent with AA's attempts to push the envelope of cutting service costs. I'm glad they reversed that idea, but there is some merit to the point that they ARE NOT in Ch.11 (then again, neither is CO with higher service...)

SNATH

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:41 pm

Quoting AA777 (Reply 17):

The last time I flew internationally on AA was last July. Since then I've done it a few times with LH and AC. I can't compare the dinner (thankfully, I slept through the AA one) but breakfast-wise, yes, LH and AC did a much better job (AC even give a few fresh fruit too). And have you actually had the AA morning snack box? After sitting in a plane dehydrating for 6-7 hours the last thing you want to eat is the dry crackers with the extra dry peanut butter, or whatever it was, which suck all the moisture out of your mouth and dehydrate you even more... never again, thank you.

When was the last time any of you had a 'good' meal on any airline in economy class?

Actually, the last two times I flew AC (FRA-YYZ). It was not gourmet food, but it was actually pretty good for Y airline food. One of them was a lamb dish that shocked me: it looked like lamb, tasted like lamb, and had a gravy that was tasty... shocking!

Tony

superhub

Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:43 pm

When was the last time any of you had a 'good' meal on any airline in economy class?

On CX actually. The food was very decent. Their Chinese cuisine is superb.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos