Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tymnbalewne
Topic Author

US Emergency Info Card

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:21 am

I'm just off the US Shuttle (A319) and there was a notation on the bottom of the emergency information cards that said something like, "The final country of manufacture of this aircraft is Germany".

Why would this text be put on the card? Is there some sort of requirement for this? I don't recall seeing on other aircraft/airlines.

C.
Dewmanair...begins with Dew

Bridogger6

RE: US Emergency Info Card

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:40 am

Yeah there is some sort of requirement that it has to have that there. I remember when we first got the new emergency cards on the A319 here in PHX there was an incorrect picture which a flight attendant noticed and it caused a two hour delay. Apparently all cards placed on to an aircraft have to receive special FAA certification for that SPECIFIC aircraft. Meaning technically, we can't just go get the cards from another A319 and put them on... and the old ones are supposed to be destroyed immediately after removal from the aircraft so those were no good either. Anyway apparently every little detail of those cards is pretty specific. I am sure a flight attendant could either correct me if I'm wrong or add more info. So, think twice before stealing that next emergency card.

bond007

Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:43 am

Quoting TymnBalewne (Thread starter):
Why would this text be put on the card? Is there some sort of requirement for this?

It's important in the USA, because we really need to know what country is responsible so we can sue when something bad happens.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

Markhkg

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:00 am

"The final country of manufacture of this aircraft is Germany"

The Republic Airways Embraer 170 safety card has a similar note, but of course says it was manufactured in Brazil instead.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

S5FA170

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:05 am

Quoting Bridogger6 (Reply 1):
Apparently all cards placed on to an aircraft have to receive special FAA certification for that SPECIFIC aircraft.

I don't think thats entirely correct. I was just in Austin last week and on the Delta jetway they had a big crate with safety-cards for Freedom Airline's ERJs and for either Comair or ASA's CRJ's. If safety cards were aircraft specific, those crates wouldn't be there!

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 3):
The Republic Airways Embraer 170 safety card has a similar note, but of course says it was manufactured in Brazil instead.

You are correct. In small print on the front of our safety cards it says "Final Assembly of this aircraft took place in Brazil".

-Tony
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

mhodgson

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:08 am

I seem to remeber a big discussion on this - I believe it was a rule/law passed by the senate (Sorry, I'm not up on American political terms!). I'm not totally sure of the reasons, though if you search back far enough you'll fiond the discussion.

I recall many people putting it down to paranoia, and no-one being totally sure of the point in such a move.
No trees were harmed by this message. However, several million electrons were terribly inconvenienced

EMBQA

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:14 am

Why would this text be put on the card? Is there some sort of requirement for this? I don't recall seeing on other aircraft/airlines.

There is a new FAR that came out mid last year the states it must be printed on the safety card the country of origin of the aircraft you are flying on. Another great waiste of our Gov't time and money..!!

[Edited 2006-03-14 01:18:49]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

HPRamper

Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:05 am

Yeah there is some sort of requirement that it has to have that there. I remember when we first got the new emergency cards on the A319 here in PHX there was an incorrect picture which a flight attendant noticed and it caused a two hour delay. Apparently all cards placed on to an aircraft have to receive special FAA certification for that SPECIFIC aircraft. Meaning technically, we can't just go get the cards from another A319 and put them on... and the old ones are supposed to be destroyed immediately after removal from the aircraft so those were no good either. Anyway apparently every little detail of those cards is pretty specific. I am sure a flight attendant could either correct me if I'm wrong or add more info. So, think twice before stealing that next emergency card.

Yeah, I'm not quite sure what you mean here. We all have crates full of safety cards, since 5 or 6 show up missing on every plane over the course of a day. We just replace them. I know they expire every so often, they just did recently and we pulled the old ones. Technically supposed to destroy them. I know we can get in trouble if there is an old one on an aircraft, I'm not sure but it may be better for a seat to just NOT HAVE a card than to have an expired one.

bond007

Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:26 am

FAA Advisory Circular AC No. 121-24C, Passenger Safety Information Briefing and Briefing Cards.

'No later than June 12, 2005, for Domestic and Flag scheduled passenger-carrying flights, the sentence, "Final assembly of this airplane was completed in (INSERT NAME OF COUNTRY)."'

Then a contradiction in the same document!

"Extraneous Information. Passenger safety briefing cards should contain only information that is essential for safety."

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

PurdueAv2003

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:19 am

Quoting HPRamper (Reply 7):

Actually, you're both right. The info on the card has to be specific for that aircraft. However, most airlines have common fleet types, so they can stock the cards in bulk. There may be subtle differences, though, which create subfleets that require different cards. I was on a flight once where they didn't have the correct cards for the A319 I was taking. They had to MEL about 12 seats because they were missing cards. Luckily, the flight wasn't full, or they would have had some angry pax.
Ptu = Ftu X Anet (not to be confused with a.net)

bond007

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:24 am

Correct. It's common to type and model...and any difference in equipment. So even for same type/model there may be different cards required.

"...must be pertinent only to that type and model of aircraft and consistent with the airline's procedures. The information on the cards should be consistent with the information contained in the air carrier's manuals. When aircraft equipment is substantially different, even within the same model of aircraft, the air carrier should provide information cards specific to that aircraft."

Jimbo

[Edited 2006-03-14 03:25:16]

HPRamper

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:48 am

I know I've caught A320 cards in A319 planes. Big no-no.

I've also found 757 cards in 737s, and CR7 cards in CR9 planes.

TK787

Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:56 am

So, think twice before stealing that next emergency card.

Why? Is it illegal or have you seen any enforcement?

luv2fly

Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:03 pm

I remember my FA friend who worked for TZ at the time telling me they could no longer show the safety video on the L1011's as the crew had different uniforms then the ones in the video.
You can cut the irony with a knife

SafetyDude

Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:29 pm

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 13):
I remember my FA friend who worked for TZ at the time telling me they could no longer show the safety video on the L1011's as the crew had different uniforms then the ones in the video.

Last summer, BA's video said something to the extent of "As our new uniforms are phased in, the flight attendants may be wearing uniforms different to those shown in this video."

I have seen a USA 3000 safety card that said "Final assembly of this aircraft was completed in Toulouse [sic] France." Since the FAR requires the country, and USA 3000 provided the country and city, could this be a violation?

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

N1120A

Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:59 pm

Quoting Mhodgson (Reply 5):
I believe it was a rule/law passed by the senate

Actually, it was a regulation promulgated by the FAA, not a law passed by the Senate and House and signed by the President. Actually though, I have been seeing these "final assebly completed in..." cards for a little while now.

Quoting SafetyDude (Reply 14):
Since the FAR requires the country, and USA 3000 provided the country and city, could this be a violation?

No, it isn't a violation
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

MGASJO

Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:48 pm

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 6):
Another great waiste of our Gov't time and money..!!

I just don't see the point of having the "final country of manufacturing"
Is there a different way to deplane on an emergency if the A/C is made in France, US, Brazil, Germany or wherever?
I can tell you when there is need to deplane fast my last thought would be to think about wether to say "Thanks", "Merci" "Obrigado" or "Danke"

To even think that you can cancel a flight if you don't have that!
Endless Reserve

PurdueAv2003

Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:42 pm

Quoting TK787 (Reply 12):
Why? Is it illegal or have you seen any enforcement?

I don't know if it is illegal, but it pisses off the F/A and MX that have to replace them.
Ptu = Ftu X Anet (not to be confused with a.net)

bond007

Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:42 pm

Quoting MGASJO (Reply 16):
Quoting EMBQA (Reply 6):
Another great waiste of our Gov't time and money..!!

I just don't see the point of having the "final country of manufacturing"
Is there a different way to deplane on an emergency if the A/C is made in France, US, Brazil, Germany or wherever?
I can tell you when there is need to deplane fast my last thought would be to think about wether to say "Thanks", "Merci" "Obrigado" or "Danke"

Yes, waste of money. It was estimated to have cost over half million dollars just to provide the stickers that were necessary until new cards were printed.

Believe it or not, the idea of this is because in the USA, everything the consumer buys should in theory have the country of manufacture on it...like clothing etc.

So, one argument that I tend to agree with, is that passenger did NOT buy the plane, so does not need to know the country it was built in.

Second, what does 'final country of manufacture' mean? So 90% of the parts are made in other countries, but it so happened the last item installed was in country X.

Lastly...the requirement was that this 'country' is displayed on something easily accessible to every customer...so they chose the safety card. A complete mis-use of the card, especially since they say "briefing cards should contain only information that is essential for safety."

OK, I',m getting far too upset about a real small issue  Smile

Jimbo

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos