golftango

RE: JetBlue To Announce Two New Cities Friday

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:35 am

I'd love to see BDL on their list.

nycflyer

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:43 am

I'm surprised only one person has said MKE. I saw Neeleman speak a few months ago, and he mentioned MKE as one of several cities they were looking at. Not that I think it'll be announced tomorrow, but it's on their radar.

Quoting MtnWest1979 (Reply 16):
Boise,ID and Kansas City,MO

I think BOI is actually a viable option. No nonstop service from NYC, and it's a fast-growing city. But it could only be done on an E-190. Anyone know the range of the 190s?

(incidentally, my parents, who will always pay extra to fly nonstop, are going to BOI this weekend, LGA-MSP-BOI on NW)

But generally I agree w/CLT and MIA, though i think SAT and JAX would be good places too.

Oceanic

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:10 am

It's gonna be SRQ, I can feel it

BigOrange

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting Bigdrewfl (Reply 26):

I've also heard alot about RENO but I dont think this will be part of the announcement as the focus will be E190 use (Short Distance Flying)

No-one said the additions would be from the East Coast. Could be BUR-RNO or LGB-RNO.

JFK-IAD would be a good idea seeing as only UA fly the route now.

mtnwest1979

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:17 am

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 99):
I highly doubt this spoke-spoke route will run for very long.

It will just be a feeder route to WN flights at HOU.
Riddle: Which lasts longer, a start-up airline or a start-up football league?

Jerseyguy

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:23 am

I take back CLT. Why? USAirways. Jetblue needs markets that they can charge a bit more on. US will get them into a fare war and JFK-CLT will see $78 RT, then B6 will loose more money. Not going to happen until they are in better shape financially
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

Midway2AirTran

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:32 am

IMO this time it is definitely RDU now that a gate is available, second city is still a good question, my guess would be something tourist driven with A320 service. Guess Friday will be the tell all.
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

lightsaber

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:38 am

Quoting RL757PVD (Reply 94):
Itd be really nice to see DAB and MLB, but the timing would be a little odd as both of these markets drop off from late summer into fall (plus its hurricane season then!) Both are ripe for Jet Blue, but are better suited for a Nov/Dec launch.

Good point.  bigthumbsup 

Quoting Golftango (Reply 100):
I'd love to see BDL on their list.

I would too... but the odds are long right now.

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 101):
I'm surprised only one person has said MKE. I saw Neeleman speak a few months ago, and he mentioned MKE as one of several cities they were looking at. Not that I think it'll be announced tomorrow, but it's on their radar.

Hmm... I missed this.  scratchchin  As I don't know enough about the market at MKE, I will just thank you for the information.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ScottB

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:42 am

Quoting Flyboy7974 (Reply 75):
Word around BUR is that JetBlue will be 3-4X what they are now by summer 2007, JetBlue has found their market since the LGB nimbys have their "slots."

BUR's NIMBY's are as bad as LGB's, if not worse. They can't even get approval to add a broom closet to the terminal at BUR, let alone additional gates. Any expansion from BUR will be constrained by the fact that JetBlue will likely be limited to two or three gates at most.

Quoting JFKLGANYC (Reply 99):
I highly doubt this spoke-spoke route will run for very long.

Southwest will probably end up selling a fairly substantial number of ATA's seats on LGA-HOU with connections to places like MAF, HRL, CRP, AUS, SAT, ELP, etc. And in any event, Continental has a large presence in the New York-Houston market with frequent service from IAH to EWR and LGA.

MAH4546

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:45 am

Something fishy going on. The jetBlue pages for Miami and Palm Springs, as well as others, now say "...at unknown destination".
a.

richierich

Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:17 am

Quoting Oceanic (Reply 102):
It's gonna be SRQ, I can feel it

I think you had better keep feeling it....
None shall pass!!!!

steeler83

Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:29 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 89):
While we've heard rumors of PIT before, would PIT to JFK really justify 5x/day?

There is demand on that route, no less, but I myself don't think there's enough demand to warant 5 daily flights. Look at WN and PIT-PHL. When WN came to PIT last year, they offered 4x daily to PHL, which was ultimately doubled because of the massive demand on that route. JFK/LGA is still a big market for PIT, but I don't think it's as big of one as PHL is. Given this, I would even consider 3X daily, maybe 4 tops. See how those 3 or 4 times daily work out. If all flights pretty much sell out, which was the case for the 4 daily for WN's flights to PHL, then it's time to add service on that route (WN added a 5th flight after not even a month of service). As far as 3x daily to BOS, that looks like a satisfactory number of flights for that route...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

RL757PVD

Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:46 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 109):
Something fishy going on. The jetBlue pages for Miami and Palm Springs

Quoting NYCFlyer (Reply 101):
I think BOI is actually a viable option

Quoting Flashmeister (Reply 51):
PSP
Another SoCal destination (gotta be SNA or LAX, right)?

Didnt Jet Blue just come out and say how the transcon market was hurting their yeilds?

Im thinking in the 500-1000 mile range at a mid-large sized city that is not a hub to an airline.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

jetbluefan1

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:01 am

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 111):
There is demand on that route, no less, but I myself don't think there's enough demand to warant 5 daily flights. Look at WN and PIT-PHL. When WN came to PIT last year, they offered 4x daily to PHL, which was ultimately doubled because of the massive demand on that route.

I think they could start 5x JFK-PIT. Look how they started JFK-AUS - a much thinner route at 3x. JFK-RIC, which I believe has less traffic than PIT, will be at 4x. I definitely think B6 would start 5x JFK-PIT on the E190. However, if they want improved yields, I would suggest 3x or 4x.

JetBluefan1

luv2fly

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:08 am

I'll say LAN and CMH will be the 2 cities.
You can cut the irony with a knife

Indy

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:09 am

With the exception of the geographic advantage I doubt B6 will start service to IND. We are already LCC hell here with F9, WN, FL and US.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

scoljet

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:16 am

MCI to LGA and later down the road ICT to LGA. Dont laugh, I may know something you dont!!??

mrstl

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:19 am

I say STL focus city concourse D. The E190 is made for STL as was the 717. If you look at their route map and Jetblue wanting shorter staging lengths it just seems like a natural choice. Don't know how much of a fight AA can actually mount or will want to mount at this time. Anyways I hope so as my TrueBlue flyer program number has not been used since I left the LA region. I sure would like to use it again  Smile

stl1326

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:40 am

I want to say STL, but I know its not going to happen so I think its going to be SAT and PIT.

ouboy79

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:46 am

If B6 wants to get into markets where they will be able to set their own fares with out a major fare war starting, then most of these cities mentioned are not going to happen.

That means no PIT, no CLT, etc...not until B6 is able to justify going into markets where a fare war will break out. There are plenty of markets for B6 to venture into that have no nonstop NYC service to have to worry about.

B797

Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:54 am

IT will be EWR to OAK.

MalpensaSFO

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:07 am

PSP: Is currently served via the alternate gateway of Ontario

MIA: Is currently served via the alternate gateway of Ft. Lauderdale
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

vega

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:08 am

Quoting Ouboy79 (Reply 119):
If B6 wants to get into markets where they will be able to set their own fares with out a major fare war starting, then most of these cities mentioned are not going to happen.

The problem with that thought is that it's virtually impossible to define such a city which also has sufficient load potential to justify the expense of starting service. At least I can't think of one. Even at MCI, they would be competing with Midwest, which flies to LGA and BOS, unless there is an undiscovered large group of KCers who prefer to fly to JFK.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

steeler83

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:13 am

Quoting Ouboy79 (Reply 119):
That means no PIT, no CLT, etc...not until B6 is able to justify going into markets where a fare war will break out. There are plenty of markets for B6 to venture into that have no nonstop NYC service to have to worry about.

I don't see PIT happening either. I stated in a previous post that I said it would be a surprise if that was to happen. I agree that B6 will stay away from a fare war as much as possible. I still give it another 2 years for that. Would you throw CLE into the mix, as they have a small CO hub, while EWR has a very large CO hub? I could see a fare war between CO and B6 with CLE caught in the middle if this were to happen. With that, I'd have to say that RDU would be a possibility. As for the other city, I'd go with a Midwestern city and say STL. STL could serve JFK and BOS, and maybe offer service to BUR and/or OAK... If B6 was to anounce STL, I wonder if they would add PIT service after that. I don't think US runs PIT-STL anymore. I believe that route was cut and never brought back...
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

FA4B6

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:18 am

Quoting B797 (Reply 120):
IT will be EWR to OAK.

It will NOT be.
"Leap! And the net will appear."

Jerseyguy

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:20 am

Quoting Scoljet (Reply 116):
MCI to LGA and later down the road ICT to LGA. Dont laugh, I may know something you dont!!??

Oh we changed the thread to routes that will never happen, in that case. I say

JFK-BLM (Monmouth Executive-Wall, NJ) seasonal for all the Jersey Shore traffic Big grin

It definately won't be LGA, IF they start service to MCI it will be to JFK. LGA has slot issues, which means B6 has to drop a route to add MCI-LGA
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

B797

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:31 am

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 124):
will NOT be.

Why not?

ALB2ATL

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:41 am

Quoting ODwyerPW (Reply 9):
Albany New York. (ALB) With an Embraer 190.

That's what I am thinking, too. ALB has started construction on a new gate/jet bridge. But could it be for Airtran?? I recv'd a weird Independence Air/ Airtran email the other day offering 25$ off a ticket. Emailed Airtran to ask if ALB would get service and they gave me the run around (no real answer!)

We shall see!

L1329II

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:49 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 122):
The problem with that thought is that it's virtually impossible to define such a city which also has sufficient load potential to justify the expense of starting service. At least I can't think of one. Even at MCI, they would be competing with Midwest, which flies to LGA and BOS, unless there is an undiscovered large group of KCers who prefer to fly to JFK.

MCI would be the perfect battleground. I wouldnt consider Midwest a true Low Fare carrier so it wouldnt suprise me to not see too much competition from them. I think B6 would do rather well against WN. I will fly anything but AirTran.

In response to LGA or JFK I dont think it would matter. If people had the chance to fly B6 from MCI strait to NY I dont think they would care. WN doesnt do JFK so if anyone preferred JFK it would be a good fit.

Just my 3 cents!
"By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane?"

CentPIT

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:58 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 89):
While we've heard rumors of PIT before, would PIT to JFK really justify 5x/day?

Yes, if the fares are right 5X daily will do great!

Quoting Steeler83 (Reply 123):
I don't think US runs PIT-STL anymore. I believe that route was cut and never brought back...

PIT-STL is served by US. 4X DAILY--1 CRJ and 3 ERJs!

I think B6 is looking at a fare war anywhere they go if they want a city that will be profitable. Even if they do enter STL AA is going to notice. CLT will be one of thier best choices, followed by PIT.
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

PVD757

Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:59 am

OK, right from a DOT report I just came across:

"Markets under 750 miles, city pairs with average fares above $200:"

(ranked highest avg fare to lowest 2Q05)

1) CLT-PHL
2) CMH-PHL
3) BOS-PIT
4) NYC-PIT
5) CLE-PHL
6) CLT-BDL
7) MCI-MSP
8) DTW-MSP
9) BOS-DTW
10) ATL-BNA

19) MHT-NYC

22) NYC-ORF

29) BOS-CLT

32) NYC-RIC (already announced)

34) SDF-NYC

37) CMH-NYC

40) CVG-NYC

Based on these stats (which is exactly what B6 is targeting), I'd say PIT is a lock and CVG, CLT, DTW, and ORF are in the running...

steeler83

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:00 am

Quoting B797 (Reply 126):
I recv'd a weird Independence Air/ Airtran email the other day offering 25$ off a ticket. Emailed Airtran to ask if ALB would get service and they gave me the run around (no real answer!)

That's rather intriguing... ALB would be a good market for them as well. B6 as well as FL. B6 would probably run 2x or 3x daily to New York as well as BOS on the Embraer jets... FL I suppose would run ATL and MCO flights probably... maybe 4x daily to ATL and maybe 2x daily to MCO or Tampa...

CentPIT

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:01 am

Quoting FLAIRPORT (Reply 49):
Where are they going to get the E70s? They have E190s

I meant E90s! Thank you for noticing. I am so used to the US Airways E70s.

[Edited 2006-03-15 23:14:42]
Pittsburgh International: US Airways---160 daily departures! (52 destinations)

RL757PVD

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:09 am

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 130):
Based on these stats (which is exactly what B6 is targeting), I'd say PIT is a lock and CVG, CLT, DTW, and ORF are in the running...

PIT and ORF are good....for CVG itd be too easy for DL to dump seats (already have 767s) and cut fares.

US could easily match the CLT fares to all the NYC airports and add JFK, NW and NK could do the same for DTW.

CLT is a good fit, but i think itd be in B6's best interest to avoid any hub market at the time being.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

MGA

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:16 am

Mexico or Canada. I think its time...  Wink

MGA

P.S. MIA is calling B6!!!
Que viva el guaro, el dinero y los aviones!!!

B6JFKH81

Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:25 am

It is interesting to see some folks mention JAX. My father was just saying the other week how B6 should start flying there as it has a huge growth potential (JAX and the bordering areas are growing very quickly) and also ties in northern Florida along with southeastern Georgia.

I also hope to see ISP happen, but the question would be if it is worth the competition right now. Where would B6 fly to from ISP? Southwest has most of the Florida routes right now, and expanded to other locations. ISP would be one heck of a planning job to not go head to head with Southwest.  crying 

But I agree with many of the folks that are saying we are looking into places like the Carolinas.

I guess only time will tell!  scratchchin 
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

Midway2AirTran

Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:59 am

After looking through this thread and sorting through some news on JetBlue, I did find this which may bring the possibilities outside the US and lower 48.

New South American flight expected soon ~ Airlift possibilities ...
http://www.thedailyherald.com/news/daily/i255/air255.html

JetBlue was mentioned meeting with this group, might that be a clue?
Here's a cut of it...
Attracting low-cost carriers also featured high on the delegation’s agenda and meetings were held with JetBlue Airways and Spirit Airline, which have expressed interest in servicing St. Maarten. One of the carriers is poised to start scheduled service, but LaBega declined to specify which one.
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

MAH4546

Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:44 am

Quoting Midway2airtran (Reply 136):
JetBlue was mentioned meeting with this group, might that be a clue?
Here's a cut of it...
Attracting low-cost carriers also featured high on the delegation�s agenda and meetings were held with JetBlue Airways and Spirit Airline, which have expressed interest in servicing St. Maarten. One of the carriers is poised to start scheduled service, but LaBega declined to specify which one.

Not really, because the one that is posied to start service is Spirit, FLL-SXM.
a.

JayDavis

Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:03 pm

I truly think it could be LBB and AMA.............  Smile

I have a strong feeling it will still be a couple of years, unfortunately, before we ever see B6 in DFW or DAL !!

Womack17

Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:15 pm

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 54):

I concur. SRQ is vastly under served and could certainly accommodate the traffic. Most travellers would welcome not having to fly into TPA when SRQ would be less expensive and a lot less congested. I would love to see SRQ get some service myself. As for my other choice, I may not be as diligent as my friend ERJ170, but RDU has a proven track record with several airlines over the years with flights into NYC. Hell, the RDU-LGA and RDU-EWR flights were for JI were always full.

The one segment that no one has picked up from JI is RDU-BDL. JI flew a full A320 on that route for quite a while. I really thought WN would have started that service before now.
Oh how I miss Midway Airlines. A class act right to then end.

MAH4546

Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:23 pm

Quoting Womack17 (Reply 139):
SRQ is vastly under served and could certainly accommodate the traffic.

It isn't Sarasota, for the simple reason that nobodey would launch new Sarasota in the summer. Great potential in the market, but we all know how well airTran and Delta did on SRQ-LGA this year.
a.

steeler83

Thu Mar 16, 2006 1:25 pm

Quoting CentPIT (Reply 129):
PIT-STL is served by US. 4X DAILY--1 CRJ and 3 ERJs!

Dammit! I thought US didn't serve PIT-STL... Man, I feel silly...  silly 

vincent32

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:01 pm

I could see B6 in ALB over FL. FL used to be in ALB but pulled out quite awhile ago, before the new terminal was complete if I remember correctly. WN already has a bunch of flights a day out to BWI and MCO. And DL pretty much has ATL covered with I think 5 dailys now. So I think FL would be redundant unless they really keep the fares down. But still, ALB tends to have lower fares than other upstate airports to begin with...so who knows.

It would be nice to have B6 in ALB since we dont have a ton of NYC traffic. There is COexpress to EWR (usually high prices if you plan to connect), and US to LGA, but we have nothing to JFK that I am aware of.

Friday comes quick  Smile
"If it was cool to be a fool, I'd be the hippest guy around"

CMHSRQ

Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 140):
Quoting Womack17 (Reply 139):
SRQ is vastly under served and could certainly accommodate the traffic.

It isn't Sarasota, for the simple reason that nobodey would launch new Sarasota in the summer. Great potential in the market, but we all know how well airTran and Delta did on SRQ-LGA this year.

I don't see that happening either as great as it would be.

One of the big reasons SRQ-LGA and SRQ-BOS didn't do so well is because of JetBlue in TPA/RSW with the $88 fares. AirTran doesn't play around, they don't seem to worry about market share. If the route isn't making money then it's gone. Smart. How is DL doing on the LGA-SRQ run? It's still daily and now peak season. Also DL and FL both do Sat BOS-SRQ. JetBlue could also connect pax in JFK so it wouldn't all be O&D. A lot of Bills fans in the SRQ area.
The voice of moderation

FLAIRPORT

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:00 pm

Quoting Vincent32 (Reply 142):
but we have nothing to JFK that I am aware of.

DL in a few months!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

hawk44

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:40 pm

Quoting Vincent32 (Reply 142):
WN already has a bunch of flights a day out to BWI and MCO. And DL pretty much has ATL covered with I think 5 dailys now. So I think FL would be redundant unless they really keep the fares down. But still, ALB tends to have lower fares than other upstate airports to begin with...so who knows

Thats why SWF would be perfect, no DL no WN and could pull some local traffic that might go to either LGA or JFK and ALB

Hawk44
Never under estimate the power of US

flyboy7974

Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:47 pm

ScottB, are you for real? The BUR nimbys are just as bad, wake up!!! One word, slots!!!! Burbank doesn't have them, there are no restrictions on flights except for curfew,and airlines in the past have been able to get around that even, such as HP's night flight service HP 947/948 to LAS and back years ago that got in around midnight/1am or so, because I would always take that flight from PHX. LGB has slots, get real. An airport that says only so many flights, at only certain hours, and only so many airlines, wait til the industry gets rocked again like it did back in the mid to late 80's, and LGB has nobody flying into there. LGB is the worse performer out of all 5 LA basin airports based upon load factors and yield analysis. How many gates does JetBlue even have in LGB, 4, oh yeah, good point there also, just one more than BUR, not. The high end clientel out of BUR alone compared to LGB and higher yields are calling JetBlue, the biggest downfall, a runway that a C172 fully loaded can barely take off from.

delyan

Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:17 pm

MCO-BDL-MCO or
BDL-MCO-BDL

Boeing757/767
Topic Author

Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:08 pm

Responding to reply 139:

AA Eagle flies RDU-BDL.

As to my guesses: a city in the Midwest and one in the Northeast.
Free-thinking, left-leaning secularist

InTheSky74

Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:44 pm

Okay guys...

We are less than 24 hours from the announcement....

Usually by now someone on here definitely KNOWS the cities.....

(Or word has leaked out somewhere... by a newspaper or something)....

Has any airport authority announced a press conference for tomorrow???

I want to know where they are announcing service to!?!?!?

Maybe one Chicago airport?? Even if it was GYY or RFD, they may be able to get some higher fares on those markets. They NEED Chicago!

Rob

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos