Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

B6 No Waiver Of Change Fee Even For Death?

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:04 am

My grandmothers sister is dying and she has a flight booked up B6 coming down here to visit us. I just called to find out what the change fee is and if it is waived in the event of a death of a relative and I couldn't believe that the answer was no. I can understand not having bereavement fares but the fact that they are so inflexible that they can't waive a 30 dollar fee is just wrong. Not to mention the fact that every airline is blowing them out of the water on price for us to fly RSW-BUF next week to go to the hospital. I am really going to have to rethink flying B6 in the future, this just may be the last straw for me with what has been a steady decline in their customer service.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

Ralgha

RE: B6 No Waiver Of Change Fee Even For Death?

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:08 am

It's a low cost carrier, what do you expect?
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting Ralgha (Reply 1):
It's a low cost carrier,

I wish, but more and more it is not. The one way fare for RSW-BUF next week is more than R/T on multiple airlines

luv2fly

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:13 am

Once you start waiving fees when and where do you stop?
You can cut the irony with a knife

bond007

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 2):
Quoting Ralgha (Reply 1):
It's a low cost carrier,

I wish, but more and more it is not. The one way fare for RSW-BUF next week is more than R/T on multiple airlines

Low cost and low price are 2 different things.

Did you ask to speak with a supervisor?? It sounds like someone was just reading the rules and not being flexible.

Jimbo
I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air, than in the air wishing I was on the ground!

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:14 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 3):
Once you start waiving fees when and where do you stop?

A lot of the legacies will do it, I've even had WN do it a few years ago.

EA CO AS

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:15 am

I'm certainly sorry to hear that your great-aunt isn't doing well. Most airlines will permit a refund (with documentation, of course) if the passenger named on the ticket passes away - but is your great-aunt the passenger, or your grandmother?

If the person named on the ticket is NOT the one who passes, then no offense - but why should they waive it? She agreed to pay them a change fee to make any changes to the ticket, right? (And before you say no, she DID agree by purchasing the ticket - that was her tacit acceptance of their terms)

"Customer service" does not necessarily mean you waive things for the customer because they don't happen to like your policies.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:16 am

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 4):
Low cost and low price are 2 different things.

Yeah I know, I am just rather upset right now because of my grandmother

Quoting Bond007 (Reply 4):
Did you ask to speak with a supervisor?? It sounds like someone was just reading the rules and not being flexible.

Yep got told the same thing.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:18 am

Quoting EA CO AS (Reply 6):
If the person named on the ticket is NOT the one who passes, then no offense - but why should they waive it?

Grandmother is the passenger, like I said CO will do it if it is a sister that is dying as will some of the other legacies

"Customer service" does not necessarily mean you waive things for the customer because they don't happen to like your policies.

That is not what I am getting at really, the customer service thing is stuff they have done when I have flown them in the past. Usually about 10 or more times a year.

luv2fly

Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:21 am

I have to agree with EA CO AS on this one. I believe that is why it is called a policy, again once you show one person a favor then how can you say no to the next person who asks you.
You can cut the irony with a knife

MGASJO

Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 9):
I believe that is why it is called a policy, again once you show one person a favor then how can you say no to the next person who asks you

Consistency that is.

Some fares can have change fee waived in case of emergencies, illnes or what have you (provided proper documentation). Some just don't!
Endless Reserve

A330300

Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:55 am

It's usually up to the person taking your call to make the decision...JetBlue preaches "caring" as one of their values but with the financial cruch, I'm sure there are less and less waivers being done.

Tango-Bravo

Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:06 am

Quoting Luv2fly (Reply 9):
I believe that is why it is called a policy, again once you show one person a favor then how can you say no to the next person who asks you.

Spot-on excellent point, which leads to mine...

Bottom line issue to me is that it becomes an injustice to customers who do pay fees applicable to fares purchased when same are waived on a "case-by-case" basis; in which case terms and conditions applicable to reduced fares become little more than trivial nonsense; in which case, why have restrictions at all to hold customers accountable for space and/or lower fares they have prevented others from booking by holding space they will not be using? Another issue to keep in mind is that, contrary to assumptions made by some (self-proclaimed) industry "know-it-alls," the costs incurred by airlines for ticket changes/re-issues are more than trivial, to say nothing of the potential for revenue loss when "spoilage" of a perishable commodity (ie unused airline seat) occurs.

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:09 am

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 12):
Bottom line issue to me is that it becomes an injustice to customers who do pay fees applicable to fares purchased when same are waived on a "case-by-case" basis;

If someone wakes up late and doesn't arrive at time sure they should have to pay the fee. If someone decides that they want to leave a day earlier or later again the fee is right. However when many other airlines have no problem waving a fee in the event of a death why should one that "likes you too" not follow suit.

jetbluefan1

Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:16 am

APFPilot,

I'm sorry to hear about your great aunt. I wish you and your family the greatest of comfort and hope that everything turns out ok.

As far as the change fee, sometimes B6 waves it, sometimes not. I've had them wave it for me without even asking. At other times, they just don't wave it. It's a part of the business. You cannot say that other airlines will always wave the fee in case of a death. In this day and age, all airlines are starting to tighten their belts a little bit more. Heck, you have to pay more to sit in an emergency exit on NW!

In any case, look at the change fee - it's a measily $30, or $25 if you do it online. Compare this to what other airlines are asking, and I think it's quite fare.

BTW, if the fare on B6 from RSW-BUF was more than other airlines, why is she flying B6?

JetBluefan1

Tango-Bravo

Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:40 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 13):
However when many other airlines have no problem waving a fee in the event of a death

Can you verify that this is true? As in which "many other" airlines?

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 5):

Since when has WN ever charged change fees?

spinkid

Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:15 am

It's totally a case by case basis, it's hard to say. American waived the fee for me when my mom passed away. I was in Fort Lauderdale visiting her, scheduled to leave on Sunday, she passed on Saturday and I needed to extend my stay. At first they said no, but a little pressing and they changed it. And I have to say for $30, I would happily pony it up if I HAD to. and like the previous post, if they weren't the best price to begin with, why book with them in the first place?

FLAIRPORT

Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:00 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 14):
I've had them wave it for me without even asking. At other times, they just don't wave it.

an example...my family was traveling FLL-LGA and all flights were delayed. The earlier flight was estimated to depart at the same time that the origional flight was scheduled..we asked if we could be put on that flight as we had to go to Connecticut the next morning...they waived the change fees AND gave us 3 seats together

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 15):
Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 5):

Since when has WN ever charged change fees?

nope! WN is very fair: if the price is less than the origional price, they'll reimburse you...if it is more than the origional, pay up! Plain and simple, and the way it should be done!
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

APFPilot1985
Topic Author

Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:19 am

BTW, if the fare on B6 from RSW-BUF was more than other airlines, why is she flying B6?

At the time she booked it way back it was less expensive, and we usually try to fly b6 even if it is a bit more

Quoting Tango-Bravo (Reply 15):
Can you verify that this is true? As in which "many other" airlines?

CO for example and they also offer bereavement fares

Quoting Spinkid (Reply 16):
and like the previous post, if they weren't the best price to begin with, why book with them in the first place?

see above

lightsaber

Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:37 am

I too am sorry to hear about your aunt.

I'm sorry to hear about your great aunt. I wish you and your family the greatest of comfort and hope that everything turns out ok.

As far as the change fee, sometimes B6 waves it, sometimes not. I've had them wave it for me without even asking. At other times, they just don't wave it. It's a part of the business. You cannot say that other airlines will always wave the fee in case of a death. In this day and age, all airlines are starting to tighten their belts a little bit more. Heck, you have to pay more to sit in an emergency exit on NW!

In any case, look at the change fee - it's a measily $30, or $25 if you do it online. Compare this to what other airlines are asking, and I think it's quite fare.

Said better than I. While one would hope B6 would be flexible on this, its only $25 (online). While very frustrating, I've had a legacy carrier hit me for a lot more for a change fee for a dying aunt... I "forgave" that airline before I even returned to my home airport. Why? I realized there should be a charge for last minute changes.

If the person named on the ticket is NOT the one who passes, then no offense - but why should they waive it? She agreed to pay them a change fee to make any changes to the ticket, right? (And before you say no, she DID agree by purchasing the ticket - that was her tacit acceptance of their terms)

I might phrase it different, but your facts are 100% correct. But then:

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 18):
and we usually try to fly b6 even if it is a bit more

Part of what saddens me in this is for $25 B6 will probably lose your family's loyalty. I would understand you dropping that loyalty over this minor frustration. When a family member is ill or terminal to you and yours this is symbolically a bigger deal and by all rights should be. But there has to be a line. While I don't fault B6 for drawing the line here, I do understand they will probably lose more in the long run. Cest la vie.

By the way, how much is the ticket we're discussing? With all due respect, for 18+ posts, I hope we're not talking about the lowest fare bin...

Best wishes to your grandmother and great aunt,
Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

goingboeing

Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:53 am

Delta won't waive them either. They also won't allow someone else to use the dying persons ticket, even with a change fee....even if that person planned to use the ticket to fly to the former ticket holders funeral. I know.

halls120

Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 19):
Part of what saddens me in this is for $25 B6 will probably lose your family's loyalty. I would understand you dropping that loyalty over this minor frustration. When a family member is ill or terminal to you and yours this is symbolically a bigger deal and by all rights should be. But there has to be a line. While I don't fault B6 for drawing the line here, I do understand they will probably lose more in the long run. Cest la vie.

By the way, how much is the ticket we're discussing? With all due respect, for 18+ posts, I hope we're not talking about the lowest fare bin

Two years ago, I had a discount fare on United for IAD/OAK RT departing December 26th. On December 8th, my brother passed away suddenly. When I called United that day to make a new reservation, instead of offering me a bereavement fare, the agent changed my 28th flight for the 10th and waived the fee entirely.

Which is just another reason I always fly UA when I can.
"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself." Mark Twain, a Biography

dartland

Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:46 am

Quoting Halls120 (Reply 21):
Which is just another reason I always fly UA when I can.

Exactly -- UA is a "full service" airline. They should do things like that.

Frankly, I buy a B6 ticket sometimes even if it's more expensive because I know the change fee is low and it'll make it easier to change.

Which would you rather? An airline that charges $50-$100 to change a ticket, but will waive it when a family member dies? Or an airline that charges $25 to change a ticket all the time for everyone, with no exceptions?

Personally, I'd rather the latter.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos