Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

2travel2know
Topic Author

Transpacific From Other Japanese / Korean Airports

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:59 am

Are there any transpacific flights from Japanese / Korean airports which aren't NRT, NGO, KIX, ICN?
What are the main reasons Japanese / Korean airports like CTS, KIJ, SDJ, FKS, OKJ, KKJ, FUK, KOJ, OKA, PUS... don't have service to such Northamerican Westcoast airports like SEA, PDX and YVR (or even SFO)?
Any chance HND and/or GMP will see transpacific service again?
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

DABTH

RE: Transpacific From Other Japanese / Korean Airports

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:40 am

I think most of these Japanese airports do not have any transpacific services because there is no need to have them. Japan is not such a big country and airlines do not seem to see any reason to start more services to the US because there are already enough services from the main airports NRT, NGO and KIX that cover the whole country.

HND and GMP are both national airports after the opening of NRT and INC so they might not see any services to the North American continent anymore.

b6sea

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:44 am

FUK has had on and off service to the states... at least on DL and I'm sure of others...just too lazy to check.

-Chans

2travel2know
Topic Author

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:04 am

Quoting DABTH (Reply 1):
Japan is not such a big country and airlines do not seem to see any reason to start more services to the US because there are already enough services from the main airports NRT, NGO and KIX that cover the whole country.

If CO had thought like this "Great Britain is not such a big country and airlines do not seem to see any reason to start more services to the US because there are already enough services from the main airports LHR, LGW and MAN that cover the whole country" they wouldn't have included service to BFS, BRS, BHX, EDI, GLA and - for a little while - STN; from their EWR hub.

I guess the U.S. Airline most likely to copy what CO have done with Greatbritain from EWR in U.S. Westcoast to Japan/Korea may be UA from their SFO hub; even if it would look more logical for NW to do something like that out of SEA (due to transpacific distances).

By the way, CO does fly to more Japanese destinations than any other U.S. Airline, but they do it from their GUM hub.

b6sea

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:33 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 3):
even if it would look more logical for NW to do something like that out of SEA (due to transpacific distances).

My thought exactly, I've always thought that any airline could make a go at most Japanese markets from SEA with the right aircraft and a solid amount of routes at SEA or a codeshare with AS (but who doesn't have one nowadays?) IE: AA, NW, or CO (or DL if they were inclined) I think with the advent of the 787 (A staple to any good thread nowadays) you'll see something like this, because SEA is the closest mainland US city to Japan.
-Chans

2travel2know
Topic Author

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:12 pm

Quoting B6sea (Reply 4):
My thought exactly, I've always thought that any airline could make a go at most Japanese markets from SEA with the right aircraft and a solid amount of routes at SEA

Once DL had quite a number of Far East flights from PDX (the 2nd closest mainland U.S.A. city to Japan), but DL complained about the poor loads even if they never bothered to make PDX a real DL hub... I agree that with the proper aircraft type either SEA or PDX could become a hub for flights to all major Japanese and Korean destinations.

b6sea

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:15 pm

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 5):
I agree that with the proper aircraft type either SEA or PDX could become a hub for flights to all major Japanese and Korean destinations

Definately! But I would have to emphasize SEA, purely due to size and connection opportunities. (add token 787 revolutionaryness comment here)

-Chans

Carpethead

Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:15 pm

GMP will never see another int'l flight except from HND because ICN is not landlocked nor slot restricted.
HND on the other hand is a very debatable issue when the 4th runway opens.

We can ask the same questions regarding transatlantic service from say Nice or Nuremburg in Europe. The simple answer is there is no need and limited number of daily travelers can go to any one of the larger national airports and fly from there or connect.

Trvlr

Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:20 pm

Quoting Carpethead (Reply 7):
We can ask the same questions regarding transatlantic service from say Nice or Nuremburg in Europe. The simple answer is there is no need and limited number of daily travelers can go to any one of the larger national airports and fly from there or connect.

And yet, Nice has maintained transatlantic service for many years now. The mega-hub mentality that permeates so many airlines has been a godsend for others like CO and now NW and DL, which have recognized that smaller markets can be profitable with the right product.

Aaron G.

DABTH

Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:22 am

Quoting 2travel2know (Reply 3):
If CO had thought like this "Great Britain is not such a big country and airlines do not seem to see any reason to start more services to the US because there are already enough services from the main airports LHR, LGW and MAN that cover the whole country" they wouldn't have included service to BFS, BRS, BHX, EDI, GLA and - for a little while - STN; from their EWR hub.

yes you are right with GB. But GB to the US East Coast is not such a great distance as West Coast to Japan. CO operates 757 aircraft on most of their smaller routes to Europe that`s why they can even fly EWR-HAM or EWR-EDI economical. But a 757 can`t make it all the way from The West Coast to Japan or even South Korea without a stop at HNL or so and serving these routes with a bigger aircraft such as a 767 or even a 777 wouldn`t work on profitable. But with the 787 there will be many new possibilities so let`s wait and see.

Quoting Carpethead (Reply 7):

Exactly, there is no real market, not with wiedebodies such as a 777.

2travel2know
Topic Author

Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting DABTH (Reply 9):
But a 757 can`t make it all the way from The West Coast to Japan or even South Korea without a stop at HNL or so and serving these routes with a bigger aircraft such as a 767 or even a 777 wouldn`t work on profitable. But with the 787 there will be many new possibilities so let`s wait and see.

Almost all Japan and all Korea are within B737-700ER range from both SEA and PDX, Actually a B757 might do Northwest U.S. - Northeastern Japan non-stop.
By the way, The most logical stop for a B737 or B757 enroute between Japan/Korea and U.S. / Canada West Coast is ANC not HNL.