Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dandy_don
Topic Author

Etiquette During SWA Boarding

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:40 am

I seldom fly SWA but made a quick round-trip from DTW to MDW this weekend. I was smart enough to check in on-line and get a coveted "A" boarding pass.

The gate area at MDW was small, and as the plane was over-sold, jam packed. There was a disernable line for 10 or so people and then just a big mass of people, or so it looked to me. When boarding was announced I got up and joined the mob lingering behind the "line". As the mass began to move and board, a woman beside me looked at me and said "there is a line and it starts back there".

For those of you that fly SWA regularly, is there some type of boarding etiquette that I violated here?

RachelBDL

RE: Etiquette During SWA Boarding

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:57 am

As a SWA operations agent (I'm the one doing the boarding), I hope I can shed a little light on it. At all the airports that I have been to, there has been at least a line begun by a stantion (sp?) the guide passengers where to stand. After the first 10 people or so, passengers tend to congregate in bunches or split into two. Since WN is not going to employ someone just to keep passengers in order, you just kind of have to watch how people move once that group has begun boarding. And even if we did make announcements of the sort, there is absolutely no guarantee anyone is going to listen. They usually never do.

And if I may vent a little... One of the rudest things you can do as a passenger is (knowingly or unknowingly) get into the wrong line for boarding. If you have a C, then you must board with the C group. If it is unknowlingly, I don't want to hear that you don't get it. Take your iPod out of your ears for announcements next time. Complaining that you already stood in line isn't going to get my sympathy, and you will still be booted to the end of the correct line. I had a young man a few months ago pull the same stunt, complained but grudgingly went to the end of the B line, where he should have been. The second time around, he stated, "I just want to let you know that I'm never flying Southwest again because you wouldn't let me board." I'm sure that next time he flies with a legacy carrier and tries to board in First with his $39 fare, they'll treat him a lot worse than I did. "I'm sorry, but you were in the wrong group." *grin*
I not only drink the KoolAid, I do the Jello shots too!

WesternA318

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:08 pm

Quoting RachelBDL (Reply 2):
If you have a C, then you must board with the C group. If it is unknowlingly, I don't want to hear that you don't get it. Take your iPod out of your ears for announcements next time. Complaining that you already stood in line isn't going to get my sympathy, and you will still be booted to the end of the correct line.

Amen to that Rachel! If you're ever in SLC, drop me a line!

The second time around, he stated, "I just want to let you know that I'm never flying Southwest again because you wouldn't let me board." I'm sure that next time he flies with a legacy carrier and tries to board in First with his $39 fare, they'll treat him a lot worse than I did. "I'm sorry, but you were in the wrong group." *grin*

LOL, a few days ago in IAH, this guy on a buddy pass tried to board with the BusinessFirst pax headed to LGW, but not one, not two, but THREE agents told him to wait for a later call.  banghead 

F9Animal

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:25 pm

While boarding, climb over the seats to get the window you want! If that fails, karate kick your way down the aisle. LOL!
I Am A Different Animal!!

Copa737DFW

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:36 pm

I always was annoyed with their boarding, they should allow you to pick seats and they should board by groups or sections or something like that...
Organization is for people who are to lazy too look for things.

FlightShadow

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:45 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 3):
Amen to that Rachel! If you're ever in SLC, drop me a line!

Not disputing that it wasn't very well said, but I thought you already had a girlfriend Western?  Wink  Wink
"When the tide goes out, you can tell who was skinnydipping."

777fan

Sun Mar 26, 2006 12:45 pm

Ettiquette during WN boarding? No such thing. They ought to call it "herding". No matter how polite you are, there's always going to be someone that just doesn't get it or that does, but doesn't care. IMO, putting seats "up for grabs" only complicates matters and encourages passengers to resort to cutthroat tactics to get what they want.
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

RachelBDL

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:03 pm

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 6):
I thought you already had a girlfriend Western?

And I have a fiance, but...  wink 

No matter how ya do it, someone is always going to complain. You can't please 'em all the time. But I do have to say, after being on a few other airlines, we do board the quickest. That is, if everyone doesn't have a rollerboard or multiple carryons. Yikes.. But I've learned. I can board a full flight in about 15 minutes, if properly motivated. It's all about repitition, until passengers want me to shut up.  Smile
I not only drink the KoolAid, I do the Jello shots too!

WesternA318

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:00 pm

Quoting F9Animal (Reply 4):
While boarding, climb over the seats to get the window you want! If that fails, karate kick your way down the aisle. LOL!

LMAO, I've heard of someone doing that way back in the 80's or 90's lol, its in NUTS! I think, I'll have to re-read the thing...

Quoting FlightShadow (Reply 6):
Not disputing that it wasn't very well said, but I thought you already had a girlfriend Western?

Wait...you thought I was hitting on Rachel? LMAO I was just inviting her out to SLC to meet us bunch of loons!

Quoting 777fan (Reply 7):
They ought to call it "herding".

*nibbles on grass* MOOO.....

Quoting RachelBDL (Reply 8):
I can board a full flight in about 15 minutes, if properly motivated.

LOL, like say, the last flight of the night and you JUST WANNA GET HOME?

boeingfanyyz

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:08 pm

If you dont push, you'll never get in!!!

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

dagolden1

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:26 pm

Ettiquette during WN boarding? No such thing. They ought to call it "herding". No matter how polite you are, there's always going to be someone that just doesn't get it or that does, but doesn't care. IMO, putting seats "up for grabs" only complicates matters and encourages passengers to resort to cutthroat tactics to get what they want.

Yea, it's so stupid when WN turns around a plane in 15-20 minutes!! You'd think they'd learn and let there planes sit on the ground longer and lose money like the other airlines, come on WN, figure it out!!  boggled 

WesternA318

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:34 pm

Quoting Dagolden1 (Reply 12):
Yea, it's so stupid when WN turns around a plane in 15-20 minutes!! You'd think they'd learn and let there planes sit on the ground longer and lose money like the other airlines, come on WN, figure it out!!

Yanno...

It's bad enough to spend $4.73 on a Venti Toffe Nut Frappacino...but to lose it all ove rthe keyboard like this...LMAO Come on WN, get with the program!  irked   rotfl 

r311music

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:36 pm

I usually just board first or last to avoid any issues. I also nonrev on flights that are >50% full usually so I can get what I want without a hassle. The only full flight I nonreved on, I sat in the fourth FA jumpseat. No hassle for that either, plus got to meet and hang out with an awesome crew.
confusing use of time

dagolden1

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:47 pm

You'd think by the way people act about WN that they are the only airline that has middle seats and every other airline is nothing but first class. Big deal, I spend a lot of time on WN planes living in Dallas and traveling a fair amount for my job. I've got the system down with regards of getting the almighty 'A' boarding pass, but every now and then I get caught in the middle seat. So what, it's not ideal, but it's just for a short time and heaven forbid you actually have to be nice and are forced to talk to someone! AARRGGHHH...NOOO!!

[Edited 2006-03-26 06:48:40]

fxramper

Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:53 pm

Note to self: Avoid WN like the plague.  bouncy 

WesternA318

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:15 pm

Quoting FXramper (Reply 16):
Note to self: Avoid WN like the plague.

LOL FX, I agree with you, BUT in this thread, it's best to keep that hidden if we value our lives, lol, WN fans are fanatic!

Alias1024

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:17 pm

I don't enjoy the Southwest process of boarding, but I've seen worse. EasyJet in AMS made WN seem civilized. First, all the passengers were waiting in the boarding lounge. At the end of the lounge was a desk where boarding passes were taken, and passengers proceeded into another waiting room with the door to the jetway at the far end of that room.

The agent at the desk then began to take boarding passes, calling groups as Southwest does. However, the door to the jetway was still closed, so the passengers would give up their boarding pass, then go wait in the other room next to the jetway door. After every boarding pass had been collected the door still wasn't open. Now there were 150 people standing in a small room, all trying to shuffle their way past each other to get closer to the door. Finally the door was opened, and everyone rushed forward. The line wound up stretching from the plane, the entire length of the jetway, and back into the waiting room. Total mess.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems with just potatoes.

zippyjet

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:21 pm

Since WN is not going to employ someone just to keep passengers in order, you just kind of have to watch how people move once that group has begun boarding. And even if we did make announcements of the sort, there is absolutely no guarantee anyone is going to listen. They usually never do.

And if I may vent a little... One of the rudest things you can do as a passenger is (knowingly or unknowingly) get into the wrong line for boarding.

Couldn't agree with you more! BTW, I'm a gate agent with FL I could probably start an entire thread on our boarding proceedure. It does work. However, there are some people who bitch, and moan and of course don't listen to simple directions. I smile, but in a stage whisper stear them to the correct line or, in many instances the correct flight! Me fellow peers in our industry could probably become independlty wealthy if we could make a buck off each time, passengers for a later flight at your gate boarded the wrong flight just because it was leaving from the same gate. My stage whisper with a smile usually does the trick especially if the passenger in question makes it like it is the airline's fault that they boarded the wrong flight. Their flight number is printed in good size numbers on our straight forward generic looking boarding passes! I'm being friendly but intoning the Don't you feel like a schmuck? when you board a Rochester flight instead of your flight to FLL! How come 90% of our passengers can be couteous, board their correct flight in a timley manner without yapping on a cell phone while doing it? Oh, those 10%, a mind is a terrible thing to waste. My heart goes out to you at WN!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

WesternA318

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:27 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 19):
Couldn't agree with you more! BTW, I'm a gate agent with FL I could probably start an entire thread on our boarding proceedure

LOL, you did...oh wait, no, that was on the CLEANLINESS o th e flights after the human cargo deplanes...  bigthumbsup 

I smile, but in a stage whisper stear them to the correct line or, in many instances the correct flight!

LOL, The CO kids in SLC did that yesterday, this guy missed the last IAH flight of the day and thought the EWR flight was going to IAH...  banghead 

Me fellow peers in our industry could probably become independlty wealthy if we could make a buck off each time, passengers for a later flight at your gate boarded the wrong flight just because it was leaving from the same gate.

LOL, all THAT money could put DL, NW, and AA in the black simultaneously!

How come 90% of our passengers can be couteous, board their correct flight in a timley manner without yapping on a cell phone while doing it? Oh, those 10%, a mind is a terrible thing to waste. My heart goes out to you at WN!

LOL, Amen zippyjet, and how is my fave ATL based airline doing?

atrude777

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:30 pm

You know, maybe its a STL thing but I have never seen the jumping, cutthroating boarding shit you are talking about. It is ALWAYS civilized at STL. not to say it doesn't happen though, but I have honestly never seen it once in my time flying SWA.

I have seen more crowding around at AA flights, as its by groupd, there is no line to stand in, they all stand and huddle around the desk and wait for the group to be called.

With SWA, at least you are in LINE! And there is somewhat a certain order to sitting.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

dagolden1

Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:37 pm

Quoting Alias1024 (Reply 18):

LOL FX, I agree with you, BUT in this thread, it's best to keep that hidden if we value our lives, lol, WN fans are fanatic!

I don't think that it's the fact there are WN fanatics, it's just that people are always bagging on WN and there 'stupid' boarding procedures, business plan, etc. It works for them, so leave them alone, if it wasn't working then they would change it. Plain and simple, if you don't like them then don't fly with them, nobody's holding a gun to your head making you get on there planes! I'm not a WN fan by any means, but I can admire the fact that the generally have courteous, hard working employees and are among the few if not the only airline making a profit at this difficult time in aviation.

JAAlbert

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

I read this post and laughed so hard the water I was drinking came out my nose! Imagine! Etiquitte on boarding a SWA flight? Are you kidding?
Every man/woman/child for him/herself! This is just one of the many charms of flying SWA that make me think fondly of driving a six hour stretch of traffic choked freeway to get to my destination.

fxramper

Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:48 pm

Quoting WesternA318 (Reply 17):

Sorry Alex. I've flown once in my life WN. That is enough for me!  bouncy 

PurdueAv2003

Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:28 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 21):
With SWA, at least you are in LINE! And there is somewhat a certain order to sitting.

Yeah, that line starting 2 hrs before the flight! I prefer to sit in a comfy (I use that word liberally) seat at the gate knowing EXACTLY where my seat is located and wait to have my zone or row called rather than park in line on the hard floor with the hope I don't get stuck in Seat 23B.
Ptu = Ftu X Anet (not to be confused with a.net)

atrude777

Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:36 pm

Quoting PurdueAv2003 (Reply 28):
Yeah, that line starting 2 hrs before the flight! I prefer to sit in a comfy (I use that word liberally) seat at the gate knowing EXACTLY where my seat is located and wait to have my zone or row called rather than park in line on the hard floor with the hope I don't get stuck in Seat 23B.

It is impossible to line up 2 hours before your SA)">WN flight, that is a fact.

1.other SA)">WN flights are using that SAME gate.
2. I like sitting KNOWING my seat is going to be the same one everytime 17F. Iv flown AA, NWA and both time every time i NEVER got the seat i selected online. Ever, and THATS the truth, but SA)">WN I did, 17F everytime.
3. Zones..groups? Completely laughable, when I fly AA it isnt like that. we are all standing in line anyway at the gate, its like SA)">WN as well. While we wait for Zone one to be called (or should I say Group A?) then Zone 2 gets called (Group B?) See how simlair it gets?
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

PurdueAv2003

Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:49 pm

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 29):

Interesting, since the last time I flew WN a few years ago, people for the next flight were already trying to form the next line while we were still boarding. Their a/c wasn't scheduled to arrive for another hour+. Also, the WN line forms in the "corral" with no chairs. Other airlines allow me to sit elsewhere. I wait for the zone or rows to be called, get up, and get right on the plane. I just find the standard boarding process much more relaxed than getting shoved around in the herd by Bubba trying to get "one of dem der fancy exit seats."
Ptu = Ftu X Anet (not to be confused with a.net)

etfokker50

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:40 pm

I flew Virgin Express last October, from AMS, and for a low-cost airline I must say they were pretty good in boarding. They called two seperate zones, and made you go to the back of the line if you were wrong. We were with a big group, and the annoucement regarding which rows were boarding was inaudible between other gate announcements and the constant 'mind your step' from the nearby walkways.

dfwagt

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:39 am

Is there any etiquette during any boarding of any flight on any airline? The tend it seems to be is that most american travellers are only concerned for themselves as they are the only ones on the plane. At AA since we board by groups, it works most of the time However there are the line jumpers that have too much shit with them, god forbid anybody check anything, that have to get all of their bags in the overhead. Some pax get so offed by being told they have to wait to board. If being told that you will need to wait your group hasnt been called is the worst thing to happen to you, then I think you are doing pretty good. Just a not to all pax, be patient. We are not going to leave anyone behind. Thanks for flying American.

siromega

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:27 am

I've had a problem with DL pax crowding a gate... it was an ATL-LAS flight, and since DL does zone boarding now I was in zone 5 or so. Well some people in the last zone were standing around right in front of the gate agent scaning boarding passes to get on the jetway. There were 8 or so of them, all wearing cowboy hats, big belt buckles, etc (National Finals Rodeo was in LAS the next week). So everyone else had to cut their way through them to get on the plane. And seats are still assigned so its not like they're going to get a better seat than one they already had.

mytravel330

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:28 am

You have never flown RYANAIR yet lol all that fun here in uk too welcome to the world of the LCC.

MiCorazonAzul

Mon Mar 27, 2006 1:42 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 29):

Wrong. WN's gates are right across from ours and I have seen people sitting on the FLOOR in line....for a long time. We all know the higher you up in line, the better seat you can get. So, when people arrive at the gate, I always see them go straight for the boarding lines and just either stand or sit there. And once boarding does begin, it doesn't look ALL that organized if you ask me.
Live for Today.....tomorrow is NOT guaranteed.

steveswa737

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:17 am

Quoting Dandy_don (Thread starter):
For those of you that fly SWA regularly, is there some type of boarding etiquette that I violated here?

No, you didnt violate any boarding etiquette. I believe you just happened to run into a stressed out woman who probably was standing there for a while and felt like you were cutting in line at the last minute. You didnt do anything wrong. In a lot of WN airports, a mob forms behind each A, B and C line. I cant tell you how many times I've heard someone in the gate area ask the person in front of them, "What group are you in?" Everyones trying to get in the correct group, but on full flights with a small gate area, the lines tend to mix together, especially toward the end of the group.

I dont believe it is always the boarding proceedure that determines an easy and stress free boarding. It's the PASSENGERS boarding the aircraft that determine and easy and stress free boarding. This is true of most airline. The last time I non-reved on AA, the boading agent had to stop boarding twice and sternly request passengers to move away from the door until thier groups were called. People in the last group were hovering around the boarding door making it difficult for the groups that were being called to board. I over heard a guy behind me say, "This is worse than boarding a WN plane". I was non-reving and NOT in uniform so of course he had no idea that I worked for WN. I had to laugh a little because I realize how stressed out some people get with our boarding proceedures.

Steve

sccutler

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:25 am

There are always those who line up way in advance, but I really don't understand why. If I have an A or B pass, I wait until whichever group is nearly complete, and then fold my paper, get up from my chair and board the plane. There are almost always enough twosomes traveling together that I am able to get either an aisle or window seat without difficulty.

If I have a C pass, I just wait until they call it, and I board. If the flight is full, then I might end up in a center seat (although, again, surprisingly rarely because of twosomes). In any event, if I have a "C" pass, it's because I bought my ticket about an hour before the flight, and were I traveling a legacy carrier, my chances of a "good" seat buying that late are nil (heck, usually, they won;t even give a seat assignment that late, it's gate assigned).

Rowdy line-ups and rude pax occur whethe the boarding is by "group," or by row.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

MesaMXORD

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:27 am

It is totally the PAX. This morning they were calling zone Numbers on a UAL flight and you should see the looks on peoples faces. I thought one guy was gonna start counting on his fingers. I was non-reving so of course I was nice to the CSR's and we were chatting about it and she said she doesnt bother checking zone numbers after first class boards cause there are sooo many people that cant figure out that huge ZONE 1,2,3,4,5 on the boarding pass. That numerical order thing is kinda tricky. Much respect to all the CSR's that have to deal with those people I only could do it for three months!
MESA - fighting common sense one day at a time

atrude777

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:29 am

Quoting PurdueAv2003 (Reply 30):
Interesting, since the last time I flew WN a few years ago, people for the next flight were already trying to form the next line while we were still boarding. Their a/c wasn't scheduled to arrive for another hour+. Also, the WN line forms in the "corral" with no chairs. Other airlines allow me to sit elsewhere. I wait for the zone or rows to be called, get up, and get right on the plane. I just find the standard boarding process much more relaxed than getting shoved around in the herd by Bubba trying to get "one of dem der fancy exit seats."

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 35):
Wrong. WN's gates are right across from ours and I have seen people sitting on the FLOOR in line....for a long time. We all know the higher you up in line, the better seat you can get. So, when people arrive at the gate, I always see them go straight for the boarding lines and just either stand or sit there. And once boarding does begin, it doesn't look ALL that organized if you ask me.

At STL most of our flights leave within an hour of each other at the same gates.

Say we have a 6pm departure as Flight one. I am on Flight One. There is a Departure leaving at 5pm. I arrive at about 4:30pm, go through security and I arrive at the gate. I am LESS then 2 hours before my flight at 6pm is scheduled to leave. Yet I cannot stand in line because of the 5pm departure flight leaving from the same gate. So i simply sit around at the gate near the A line. Assuming an aircraft is on time whihc it never is at STL, Boarding will commence about 4:35pm or so. Once the A line has cleared, you will see people who are on the 6pm flight, with an A card start to line up. I do this myself. B has cleared and the B card users for the 6pm flight line, and so forth for the C.

Plane leaves at 5pm. And we are lined up pretty much about 1 hour before our scheduled departure.

I have seen MANY people line up at the wrong line and gate for the wrong flight because they are hurrying up to line up 2 or 3 hrs before the flight elaves when that gate still has 2 or 3 more flights to operate before that 43 year old man flying to MDW can even take off.

This is simply the case at STL, I have arrived HOURS as you can see by my trip reports before my SWA flights and yet I never seem to get to line up until about 1hr and a half to 1 hr before the flight is scheduled to depart.

Again, not saying every airport is like this some may very well line up 2 hrs before, but I myself have never been in line for over 2 hrs.

Quoting MiCorazonAzul (Reply 35):
And once boarding does begin, it doesn't look ALL that organized if you ask me.

Ed, it isnt a perfect line, understandably and I also have witnessed exactly what you are talking about, but there IS an organized way to follow when flying SWA, it takes alot of flying to learn it  Smile

Quoting SteveSWA737 (Reply 36):
I over heard a guy behind me say, "This is worse than boarding a WN plane". I was non-reving and NOT in uniform so of course he had no idea that I worked for WN. I had to laugh a little because I realize how stressed out some people get with our boarding proceedures.

Steve--I flew a NWA DTW-BWI flight, and it WAS worse then SWA, evenm heard TWO woman, who freqeuntly fly SWA said "oh my gosh they think SWA does cattle call, this is cattle calling for northwest."

I mean it was crowded around the gate, and agents had to keep telling people to wait!

Alex

upsmd11

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:46 am

I love to see the opinions on here, which is what this board is all about. Mine, like others, isn't in the best graces of SA)">WN. I understand the business model and why they do what they do. But, like it's been said, it's not for everybody.

I choose to fly legacy (usually a Star Alliance carrier) so I can gain miles because international travel is an important priority in my life. By flyiing SA carriers I can gain miles to get me to Barcelona, Beijing or Bermuda in business or first class. On SA)">WN I would only get back to where I've flown before, which I can usually afford on my own.

I also fly mostly for business and I sometimes cut it close in getting to the airport. I like to book my flights online, which I have to do through my employer, and I often don't have the ability to check-in online when I've been at a client site all day. The times I do have to fly SA)">WN I usually end up with a C pass and then I'm put in a middle seat or the back of the aircraft.

This annoys me!

This is part of the reason I don't fly SA)">WN on business. Now if I want to take my kids down to see the Big Rat in MCO or something like that, I'm right on a SA)">WN flight tha whisks me non-stop from SDF down there.

So, great post, a never-ending one I assume because this issue comes up and up and up again.

Cheers,
John

Josh12815

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:11 am

I fly SWA all the time out of ALB, and I do know for a fact that they check tickets. It happened to me 2 weeks ago when I was flying to MCO from ALB. I dont think its rude, its just they have a system and they expect people to have the common courtesy to adhere to it.

atrude777

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:21 am

Quoting UPSMD11 (Reply 40):
I also fly mostly for business and I sometimes cut it close in getting to the airport. I like to book my flights online, which I have to do through my employer, and I often don't have the ability to check-in online when I've been at a client site all day. The times I do have to fly SA)">WN I usually end up with a C pass and then I'm put in a middle seat or the back of the aircraft.

As you know, you can book online to for SWA, and if you want, you can use your cell phone to check in online for your flight at southwest.

Or try to have a friend or family check in for you, I do it all the time and I simply reprint my boarding pass at the airport, with an A card.

Alex

leothedog

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:44 am

For what it's worth, when I fly WN, I get my boarding pass on line at home, get to the airport early, get in line early, and I make damn sure nobody cuts in front of me. More than once I've had to point out the back of the line to idiots that don't understand human decency.
I've got things to see and people to do.

mymorningsong

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:02 am

Quoting Atrude777 (Reply 42):
I simply reprint my boarding pass at the airport, with an A card.

Exactly. Very simple to check in, get the A, and then reprint my boarding pass at the airport. I connect online via wireless, so this method works great. I never line up in A until they start boarding and then jump in at the end of the line. It's A- boarding.

Seems like most WN frequent flyers like the boarding process; occassional WN flyers hate it. The only upside I see to have an assigned seat is using seatguru to pick the good seat. But on WN, there's not really a bad seat. Just don't sit in front of the exit row or last row. Unless it's a full flight, I can usually get an open seat next to me by heading to the back and spreading out my newspapers, laptop, etc, on the seat next to me.

I traveled on HP a few times and their boarding procedures of windows first, centers second, aisle third annoyed me. I like the aisle for a little more room and then you never find overhead space near where you sit.

I wonder what the boarding time differences are on the same plane with 1) WN's open boarding; 2) HP type of boarding of window first; 3) others boarding of assigned seating and boarding the back first. I would guess that WN wins out.

kgin11

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:30 am

What about the pax in the A group who save seats for their companions in later boarding groups--that seems to be a new development in the WN open seating policy.
Kelley Gin

777fan

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:46 am

Quoting Mymorningsong (Reply 44):
The only upside I see to have an assigned seat is using seatguru to pick the good seat.

Yeah, using Seatguru is the only advantage to having assigned seats...are you high?! Having an assigned seat allows people to:

- sit together
- not have to wonder where they're going to sit
- not have to rush to get to the gate just to queue in a boarding group
- target specific seats (i.e.: I like window seats) when they book their ticket

WN apologists: don't try to use the "on time departure" argument as proof that open seating is better: a search on the DOT Bureau of Transportation Statistics website shows that the average delay of all UA flights in 2005 was 9.64 minutes while WN averaged 10.15 minutes, suggesting that once again that the seat assignment doesn't have much to do with on-time departure.
DC-8 61/63/71 DC-9-30/50 MD-80/82/83 DC-10-10/30 MD-11 717 721/2 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/2/4 752 762/3 777 A306/319/20/33 AT

ejmmsu

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:51 am

Quoting 777fan (Reply 46):
a search on the DOT Bureau of Transportation Statistics website shows that the average delay of all UA flights in 2005 was 9.64 minutes while WN averaged 10.15 minutes, suggesting that once again that the seat assignment doesn't have much to do with on-time departure.

WN has much shorter turnaround times than UA.
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

777fan

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:57 am

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 47):
WN has much shorter turnaround times than UA.

This may be true, but, according to the stats, they also have more delays. Who's to blame, scheduling or gaggles of pax?!

ejmmsu

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:13 am

Quoting 777fan (Reply 48):
This may be true, but, according to the stats, they also have more delays. Who's to blame, scheduling or gaggles of pax?!

According to the stats you show, the average delay for WN Is 30 seconds longer than for UA. UA's average turnaround time is signicantly more than 30 seconds longer than WN. WN has an operation that is practically identical to UA in delays, and does it with considerbly shorter turnaround times and fleet utilization. With the fact that the stats you give are so similar, you actually help show that the WN boarding system helps turn the plane around, helps keep efficiency up, helps WN pay their employees more than Walmart (unlike UA which has some of the lowest payrates in the industry), all the while keeping fares in line.

Anything else?

[Edited 2006-03-26 21:14:29]
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

atrude777

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:21 am

Quoting 777fan (Reply 46):
Yeah, using Seatguru is the only advantage to having assigned seats...are you high?! Having an assigned seat allows people to:

- sit together
- not have to wonder where they're going to sit
- not have to rush to get to the gate just to queue in a boarding group
- target specific seats (i.e.: I like window seats) when they book their ticket

Sit together-- Uhm easy, we can all check in at once at southwest.com and we are all given the A boarding card, or whatever card it is. If we are a family, the agent will allow us to board together, this has happened amny times to my family and I have seen it with others, we still end up sitting together. So thats is not a problem.

Not have to wonder where they are going to sit-- some people don't mind that, some just want to find a seat and sit. I on the other hand know, I sit in 17F everytime, how can I be sure? I check in online at the 24hr mark, get an A card, line up in A and I go to my seat 17F, which I get every time, alot more then I do on American.

Not have to rush to get to the gate-- uhm ya if you are running late, you will have to. You must show up at the airport, about 2 hrs or so before the scheduled flight leaves. enter airport, go through security, takes me 5 minutes at the most at STL and then go to the gate and wait around.

Target specific seats-- uhm I have a target seat in mind, its called 17F Smile I get it everytime too.

Alex

2H4

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:24 am

Quoting 777fan (Reply 48):

What on Earth makes you think delays are a direct result of (only) those two factors?

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

Halophila

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:25 am

And why on earth do people fuss about their seat when they're paying $39 for a fare, and the flight only lasts an hr? OK, transpacific flights of 14 hrs+ duration I can understand being a little annoyed at being in a middle seat, but when flying e.g. from Northern to Southern California. It never ceases to amaze me to see folks on these flights (again, 1 hr duration) sit down, take out their eye shades, ask for a pillow and blanket, recline their seat the moment the plane leaves the ground and have to be told to put it back up by the FA before landing (forget listening to the intercom)... all for 40 mins actual cruise time!

The couple of times I've flown WN from LAX to SJC or vv, it's amazing to see folks lining up for longer than the flight's duration....!

Halophila
Flown on A36 310 319 320 321 332 333 343 388 350 707 717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 741 742 743 744 74SP 757 753 762 763 772 773 77W 787 D10 DC9 M11 M80 M87 CRJ CR7 CR9 CR1000 120 135 145 175 190 146 F28 F50 F70 F100 Tristar

sccutler

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:30 am

As for when I am traveling with others, whomever gets on first saves a seat for the other(s), and I have never had any issues with other pax over this.Most people, given the chance and treated with courtesy, will tend to be friendly and cooperative.

Also, in my experience, the biggest contributor to difficult boarding is a crowded departure lounge / gate area, not boarding method.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

777fan

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:38 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 51):
What on Earth makes you think delays are a direct result of (only) those two factors?

People tend to tout the open boarding process as a factor in WN's turn around time and effiency :

But I do have to say, after being on a few other airlines, we do board the quickest. That is, if everyone doesn't have a rollerboard or multiple carryons. Yikes.. But I've learned. I can board a full flight in about 15 minutes, if properly motivated. It's all about repitition, until passengers want me to shut up.

If the above is true, then why the higher average departure delay than a carrier with assigned seating? I think the fact that WN's boarding process more or less requires pax to queue at or near the the jetway door has been established. That being the case, one would assume that since everyone is right there when it comes time to board, and people don't have to look for their seat by row/seat #s, it would take less time to board the plane which would in turn facilitate an ontime departure.

It's apparent to me that something is amiss: either WN schedules its turn around times too quickly, its flights are subject to unique weather phenomenon (sarcasm, people) or some other factor (pax boarding?).

Anyone else have any ideas?

777fan

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos