Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

damhiz
Topic Author

Cockpit Visit ZRH-MIA In A Swiss A330

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:26 am

Hey you all,

This topic is about a trip report, yes... but not done yet!!

I'm going to Miami on holidays, leaving from Luxembourg, on the 20th of May, and coming back on the 4th of June. So my trip is a LUX-ZRH-MIA/MIA-ZRH-LUX.

The ZRH-MIA is to be done aboard a Swiss Airlines A330, and I was wondering if there was a possibility to do a part of the flight in the cockpit (and I know it's pretty hard these days, with all the security measures, especially towards the USA...).

I precise that I am a big aviation enthusiast since I'm a young boy, that I have a degree in aerospace engineering from the EPF engineering school (near Paris), that I have done all my internships in the aerospace industry (one in Dassault Aviation, one in the Cobham maintenance group, and the latest in... Airbus!) and that I know work for Global Jet Luxembourg (previously Silver Arrows) in the engineering department.

So, finally  Smile my question is: does somebody have an idea on how I could ask that and to whom, or does somebody know a Swiss captain, or IS one of you the captain for this flight?

Thank you very much to those who'll help me!!

Cheers,
Damien

lufthansi

RE: Cockpit Visit ZRH-MIA In A Swiss A330

Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:19 am

You should probably contact Swiss and tell them about your aviation-career. It should be possible to get a permission by their security or flight planning department if you phone or email them and after that send them some of your papers. Identification should be possible with your current (aviation related) company ID. At least that's a way to get into the cockpit of SQ flights.
Life starts at take-off!

boeingfanyyz

Mon Mar 27, 2006 3:54 am

The closest you would probably get would be having a chat with the pilots before and after the flight. Visiting them during the flight is a tough cookie to crack unless you have "da hookup".

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

HS748

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:05 am

I'd say you have absolutely no chance at all - and I'm not sure why you'd think being an aviation enthusiast or having a degree in aerospace engineering would have any bearing on their decision.

damhiz
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:08 am

Thanks Lufthansi, I'll try that first, and if it doesn't work I'll go straight to the crew and ask them, as Boeingfanyyz suggested.

But I wonder what is the point of EMBQA's post... anyway...

Thanks guys!!!

Thorben

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:23 am

Great times we're living in. I remember countless cockpit visits that I did. But now the security fanatics have taken over and you can hardly do it anymore.
France 1789; Eastern Germany 1989; Tunisia 2011; Egypt 2011

philb

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:30 am

On a US bound flight, you probably won't get into the cockpit on the ground.

In Europe and other parts of the world, there has been a slackening but mainly for airline employees not involved with the operation of the flight, VVIPs and aviation journalists.

It's a pity that those who want a career in aviation are stopped from what is a great experience because a blanket ban is imposed without anyone taking the time to safely facilitate the genuine visitor and foster the desire to provide the next generation of employees.

damhiz
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:32 am

Well, HS748, of course being an aviation enthusiast will be of no help, but I think being an aerospace engineer and working in an airline can be! But mostly, I say that because maybe somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody... who knows me will read this, and that could open a few doors... even reinforced cockpit doors  Smile

As you must know, aeronautics is a small, a VERY small world!!!

And yeah Thorben, you're right... because of the idea that "maybe that could happen", we forbid everything nowadays... crazy world... but I think we have no other choice but accepting it! So sad...

Happily, still a few pilots trust others, and a cockpit visit can still occur! Hope the luck will be with me...

Cheers,
Damien

ZRH

Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:32 am

Quoting Thorben (Reply 6):
Great times we're living in. I remember countless cockpit visits that I did. But now the security fanatics have taken over and you can hardly do it anymore.

I absolutely agree with you. Before 9/11 I flew very often with Swissair between ZRH and NYC. I visited the cockpit on almost every flight, that was no problem. On the contrary most pilots liked to have visitors during a long trans Atlantic flight. I remember very well these B 747-300, MD 11 and A 332 cockpits.

Reimar

Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:28 am

I think this is a hard nut to crack...espacially onboard an aircraft heading for the states...but head for Myanmar instead...there was a jumpseat ride on the legs Mandalay-Heho-Yangon (on the sole Air Bagan Fokker100) absolutely no problem..thanks to the Capt. Roger Martin.

boeingfanyyz

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:25 am

Quoting Damhiz (Reply 5):
But I wonder what is the point of EMBQA's post... anyway...

You have to learn to ignore them.

On the note of visits to "the pit", I visited the cockpit on my recent YYZ-CUN trip, and it was nice to have a chat with the pilot and first officer. Hey, they even printed off a copy of the flightplan for their return leg. Pretty cool stuff!

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

PlaneHunter

Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:30 am

Quoting HS748 (Reply 4):
I'd say you have absolutely no chance at all

Never say never...

PH
Nothing's worse than flying the same reg twice!

damhiz
Topic Author

Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:20 am

Quoting Boeingfanyyz (Reply 11):
On the note of visits to "the pit", I visited the cockpit on my recent YYZ-CUN trip

Okay, and how did you do? Just asked...?

An other (good) solution is to hit on a Flight Attendant... I'll give it a shot  Wink

boeingfanyyz

Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:17 am

Quoting Damhiz (Reply 13):
Okay, and how did you do? Just asked...?

Well, all I did was walk up to the chief f/a as we were boarding and asked if it would be possible to have a quick chat with the folks in the pit. She said after the flight would be ideal, and I accepted that. Of course, I was expecting a crabby AC f/a response, like "Sit your ass in you God damn seat". But she was friendly. Anyways, just be polite and they will understand and try to accomodate to your needs. I dont know if the fact that I was traveling First had anything to do with it, but I imagine it did not.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll get in!

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 

ab1247

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:37 am

You might have a chance to go to the pit. Even after 9/11, I saw a flight attendant ask a little kid if he wanted to see the flight deck while on-route to ZRH-JFK. So, it still happens. And, maybe to the dismay of some people, LX employees are still allowed to turn on their brains during the flight instead of just rambling down the "Federal aviation regulations require that..." mantra like some automaton (Boy, I'm probably gonna get it for this one!)

Your best bet would probably be to talk to the maitre de cabine before the flight, if you can't pull any strings through connections.

Adrian

P.S. I've personally had the pleasure of seeing the LX 747-300, the MD-11, and the A332, so the only one left on my list would be the A343.

Mr.BA

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:33 pm

A visit after flight is still highly possible. I've managed to get into cockpits for a peek on 90% of my flights after 9/11. Explain to them that you're very interested in aircraft and I think the rest is up to the captain.

Good Luck.
Boeing747 万岁!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos