Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 52kb
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 51kb
Big version: Width: 640 Height: 480 File size: 58kb

Brendan03

Dubai Airport (DXB) Mock Up

Tue Mar 28, 2006 5:42 pm

Damn! That's some pretty sweet modeling
I'd be all like *casually walks by snatching the model planes*

Interesting, I've not seen modeling to this scale before... Looks like a nice plan though

-Edit-
One thing I just noticed is the second from the bottom images, The bottem of that image, There's a gate which would access the plane from the right... Is this common? This image is the first I've seen of this...

[Edited 2006-03-28 09:54:46]
Coolier than thou.

jc2354

Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:01 pm

Most impressive. If it will happen anywhere, it will happen in Dubai.

A strong resemblance to Osaka. Is there a connection?
If not now, then when?

BHMNONREV

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:41 pm

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 1):
One thing I just noticed is the second from the bottom images, The bottem of that image, There's a gate which would access the plane from the right... Is this common? This image is the first I've seen of this...

I believe those are referred to as "swing" bridges, where you can have two jetways for boarding from the left side at one gate, or swing it around to the other side and use it for another plane, boarding on the right hand side. My guess is it saves on costs, when it has a dual purpose.

TWA had several of these at the JFK terminal...

EK156

Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:43 pm

This is actually the current Airport in Dubai NOT the new one in Jebel Ali

The first Concourse is already operational. Has been since April 2000.

The Second one will be ready end of this year. Third I think by 2009.

But awesome pics... I pass by the airport everyday and visualize the difference!!!

planetime

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:51 am

how many airports is dubai building? I thought the Jelbeli Ali will replace the current one but at the same time they are currently doing work on the old one?

twolz2rn

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:08 am

on the gates that the A380 use in the models, are there three? one for the top, one for the bottom and one over the wing???

EurostarVA

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:13 am

I wonder if this mock up changes the skeptics' views on the possibility of Dubai overtaking Chicago O'hare or Heathrow in passenger traffic  Silly
If there is a will, there is a way

pzurita1

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:40 am

I had never seen the belt conveyors for luggage underground. May be that is very normal in major airports, but never realized it actually existed.

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

komododx

Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:45 am

Quoting EK156 (Reply 4):
This is actually the current Airport in Dubai NOT the new one in Jebel Ali

The first Concourse is already operational. Has been since April 2000.

The Second one will be ready end of this year. Third I think by 2009.

But awesome pics... I pass by the airport everyday and visualize the difference!!!

Quoting Planetime (Reply 6):
how many airports is dubai building? I thought the Jelbeli Ali will replace the current one but at the same time they are currently doing work on the old one?

I don't get it either. Why not work harder/faster on Jebel Ali and save the money spent on two concourses that will (I assume) go out of operation once Jebel Ali comes online.

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

DavidYYC

RE: Dubai Airport (DXB) Mock Up

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:49 am

It will be an amazing terminal. Nice and bright and with WINDOWS, that you can see out of. Unlike the bleak and dark black-hole that T2 and T3 are at Heathrow; where the only the thing one has to look at are overpriced retail outlets selling goods you dont need!

airA380

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:56 am

Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 8):
I wonder if this mock up changes the skeptics' views on the possibility of Dubai overtaking Chicago O'hare or Heathrow in passenger traffic

I think it will due to its geographical location and standard of service in dubai airport.
I'm flying without wings!!!!!!!!

jacobin777

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:57 am

Quoting Emirates773ER (Reply 13):
Mate you just slaughtered my ethnic clan with your spelling, its pathan or pushthoon.

hehehe..... Smile

Quoting Planetime (Reply 14):
That being said, after all the things people praise how forward thinking Dubai is, one must not forget the subhuman working conditions and no labor laws, and the type of shanty town that these laborers are forced to work and live is part of the reason for the wealth and quick development of Dubai.

checkmark .....

I should have said "must be improved"....they deserve better

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 7):
I completely agree.....their conditions should be improved....  checkmark 
"Up the Irons!"

Aeroflot777

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:19 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 9):
I don't get it either. Why not work harder/faster on Jebel Ali and save the money spent on two concourses that will (I assume) go out of operation once Jebel Ali comes online.

I think that the UAE just simply doesn't have anything to do with their money... Just looking at some things that they are planning on building in Dubai just leaves me speechless.

Aeroflot777

komododx

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:54 am

Quoting Aeroflot777 (Reply 13):
I think that the UAE just simply doesn't have anything to do with their money... Just looking at some things that they are planning on building in Dubai just leaves me speechless.

So true! Check out this slideshow of the planned bldgs (although some like the Palm and World have already been built).

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06/03/dubai/index_01.htm

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

airwave

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:20 am

Quoting Komododx (Reply 14):
So true! Check out this slideshow of the planned bldgs (although some like the Palm and World have already been built).

http://images.businessweek.com/ss/06...1.htm

Good gravy, those buildings are cooooool. It's stuff like this that makes me want to change my major to something architecture-related.

I can't wait to find an excuse to visit Dubai. Thanks to that slideshow, I now have about 8 more reasons to go check it out, lol.

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

siromega

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:29 am

While I expect there wont be plexiglass under the planes, is that an underground baggage conveyor system?

Brendan03

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:32 am

Quoting SirOmega (Reply 16):
While I expect there wont be plexiglass under the planes

Now That I'd like to see!

Quoting SirOmega (Reply 16):
is that an underground baggage conveyor system?

I guess with a terminal of that design, the only place to put it would be underground, What I find the most intriguing is where the lifts are that would allow them to get underground (or ramps)
Coolier than thou.

planetime

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:58 pm

Quoting AirA380 (Reply 11):
Quoting EurostarVA (Reply 8):
I wonder if this mock up changes the skeptics' views on the possibility of Dubai overtaking Chicago O'hare or Heathrow in passenger traffic

I think it will due to its geographical location and standard of service in dubai airport.

It might be, but at the same time there is some serious doubts in that also. While back Singapore tried to do that also but it somewhat failed to be the hub of the world. Duabi can capitalize on the Europe S.ASian market and etc, but inroder to be the hub of the world they have to look at where the emereging economies are going to be based from.... China,Indian and far East. Most of these countries trade and commerce are with US and EU. Unless that market can be capitalized it will be somewhat of a Singapore case as far as airport is concerned. 120 Million people going through it is absurd really. ANd the likeliness of overtaking ORD,ATL, and LHR is also far fetched. Most of us should realize that business and more easily said commerece is the main reason for the for air travel, not a bunch of UNI students from London going to melbourne for summer vacation.

Dubai for all said and done is in one of the most unstable region in the world and would not take too much to destabalize the region. Even now the Jabeli Ali area is mostly kept up by US warships, this has 2 mutual intrests in it:

1.(Most obvious) American Police patrol in the Gulf

2. To keep a check on Iran in which Dubai has a long standing issue with on some islands in gulf.

Motorhussy

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting Brendan03 (Reply 1):
I'd be all like *casually walks by snatching the model planes*

You'd be like casually flying home without your right hand if caught.
come visit the south pacific

boysteve

Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:17 am

Quoting Planetime (Reply 18):
Dubai for all said and done is in one of the most unstable region in the world and would not take too much to destabalize the region

While their is instability in the Middle East, lets not get too carried away. I know Iran is close over the water but this is a minor old-fashioned border dispute that can occur anywhere. Elsewhere Dubai is approx 600 miles (1000 km) from Southern Iraq, and over 900 miles (1,500km) from Baghdad. Israel is around 1,500 miles (2,500 km) away. Compare this with other trouble spots that you can think off.
My Dad worked in Abu Dhabi during the first Gulf War (1991). People were astonished that he stayed working there but then they had no quarms about visiting Amsterdam or Paris despite its similar proximity to Croatia/Bosnia/Yugoslavia!

Perception can be very daft.

jacobin777

Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:12 am

Quoting Boysteve (Reply 20):
My Dad worked in Abu Dhabi during the first Gulf War (1991). People were astonished that he stayed working there but then they had no quarms about visiting Amsterdam or Paris despite its similar proximity to Croatia/Bosnia/Yugoslavia!

for all its "terrorism" and "instability" and what not, foreigners are treated very nicely, and the crime rates (especially violent ones) are low.......many people, especially males are safe to roam around........

DXB has only a 10-15% local Emirati population........
"Up the Irons!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos