Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

scoljet
Topic Author

What U.S. Airlines Still Use Avro/Bae146?

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:48 am

Can anyone tell me if UA still uses the 146 anymore? I used to ride them a lot in and out of small to medium markets but lately it seems the CRJ200/700 are being used more. Has UA retired or sold off the 146's?

USPIT10L

RE: What U.S. Airlines Still Use Avro/Bae146?

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:55 am

UA didn't own them. Air Wisconsin owned and operated them as United Express. They should be retired by the end of this ski season.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

FoxBravo

Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:59 am

I believe that will leave Mesaba's RJ85s as the only members of the -146 family still in U.S. domestic service, but their days are numbered too.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

scoljet
Topic Author

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:11 am

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 1):
They should be retired by the end of this ski season.

Thats right UA uses them from DEN to Vail. So the days of seeing these birds is numbered. Too bad, they were kinda cool. I just dont like the CRJ's, they are not comfy and they are boring!

airwave

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:14 am

Let's see, ZW still has about a dozen active and XJ has three dozen in service...that's it as far as US operators go.

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 1):
They should be retired by the end of this ski season.

Is this conjecture or is this ZW's plan? I know the fleet is almost 20 years old (average age), so retiring them makes sense. What'll replace them? The CRJs? Or is there some order out that I'm blind to?

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 2):
I believe that will leave Mesaba's RJ85s as the only members of the -146 family still in U.S. domestic service, but their days are numbered too.

Well, if the -146's days at XJ are numbered, then so must be XJ itself, as the -146 is the backbone of that fleet. I don't think they have all that many other aircraft types (I know of a few CRJs...), and the fleet is still relatively young; the average age isn't even ten years.

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

FoxBravo

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:41 am

Quoting Airwave (Reply 4):
Well, if the -146's days at XJ are numbered, then so must be XJ itself, as the -146 is the backbone of that fleet. I don't think they have all that many other aircraft types (I know of a few CRJs...), and the fleet is still relatively young; the average age isn't even ten years.

They also have Saabs. But yes, it does appear that the RJ85's days are numbered at XJ. As noted in another thread here today, Northwest plans to replace this service with 76-seat jets operated by the new Compass operation. See footnote 1 on page 2 of the DOT filing: http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf95/391613_web.pdf

USPIT10L

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:08 am

I only heard this when I was cleaning planes for UA with DGS from some ZW crew. Of course, now that UA kicked them to the curb, UA has other ideas entirely. Probably CR7s.
It's a Great Day for Hockey!

airwave

Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:48 am

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 5):
They also have Saabs. But yes, it does appear that the RJ85's days are numbered at XJ. As noted in another thread here today, Northwest plans to replace this service with 76-seat jets operated by the new Compass operation. See footnote 1 on page 2 of the DOT filing: http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf95...b.pdf

Ah ha, good stuff. I'll have to search for that thread and check it out. That PDF made for some interesting reading, too. Thanks for that.

Airwave  eyebrow 

FoxBravo

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:00 pm

GulfstreamGuy

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:22 pm

Speaking of the BAe-146s... here is a website dedicated JUST to that jet!
www.smiliner.com ... Good work Stephano!

Check it out!

GulfstreamGuy
"If we couldn't laugh, we would all go insane. " -Jimmy Buffett

airwave

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:35 pm

Quoting FoxBravo (Reply 8):
No problem. And here's the thread I mentioned: https://www.airliners.net/discussions...5627/

Ah ha, brilliant. Thanks again.

Quoting GulfstreamGuy (Reply 9):
Speaking of the BAe-146s... here is a website dedicated JUST to that jet!
www.smiliner.com ...

Great site, thanks for the link. This a/c is a personal favorite of mine, so the more info I can get, the better, lol.

Airwave  eyebrow 

apodino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 7:39 pm

Quoting Scoljet (Reply 3):
Thats right UA uses them from DEN to Vail. So the days of seeing these birds is numbered. Too bad, they were kinda cool. I just dont like the CRJ's, they are not comfy and they are boring!

No they don't. The only routes we use them on are ASE, plus bridge flights to get one to ATW for mx every night. And since united abruptly ended our travel benefits without warning the other day, we can't even non rev on our own flights anymore.

Let's see, ZW still has about a dozen active and XJ has three dozen in service...that's it as far as US operators go.

ZW only has five still active in the fleet.

Is this conjecture or is this ZW's plan? I know the fleet is almost 20 years old (average age), so retiring them makes sense. What'll replace them? The CRJs? Or is there some order out that I'm blind to?

ZW isn't replacing them with anything. UA thinks they are going to be using the CRJ-700 to replace the ASE flying. However, based on what I have heard, there is a good chance this may not even get off the ground. It is said that OO is having problems with their proving runs, they have no special procedures written for ASE, and my guess is crews haven't been trained yet. I have heard that the OO planes have been really making the controllers in ASE nervous. One rumor even said that UA has been trying to get ZW to keep the planes in the fleet to stay in ASE, however ZW wanted UA to pay for a minimum of ten airplanes in the fleet, which UA wouldn't do. Now I am hearing rumors that UA wants to pay ZW for ten airplanes even though they would only be still flying five, but ZW would have none of it.

As I said, these are all rumors.

airwave

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:10 am

Quoting Apodino (Reply 11):
ZW only has five still active in the fleet.

Nice to know there's someone out there with more specifics...

Quoting Apodino (Reply 11):

As I said, these are all rumors.

Still, it's interesting stuff, but it is disheartening to here that you've lost travel benefits. Here's to hoping things work out for you guys in the near term.

Airwaev  eyebrow 

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos