Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

skyhigh777
Topic Author

Pilots Flying With Gloves?

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:38 pm

Hey guys, I came across this picture on the database and was wondering why the Japanese pilots wear gloves when they fly? Is this a custom in Japan or all over Asia, and what's the point of it? I searched to see if this has been discussed before, but found nothing. Any of your inputs would be great!

Thanks,

Andres

https://www.airliners.net/open.file/0199068/M/

[Edited 2006-03-29 05:39:25]

airwave

RE: Pilots Flying With Gloves?

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:43 pm

According to the caption, "Like all Japanese pilots this Captain has his white gloves on while performing the landing."

Those gloves look more like golf or driving gloves than soft cotton ones, so probably they're for a better grip on the yoke during one of the few times a pilot is required to fly the plane. It's a smart idea, actually. One never knows what'll happen.

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

PGV

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:46 pm

They look like the pair I just bought last week to get a better grip on this 460cc Callaway Mrs. PGV gave me for my birthday!

Interesting pic. Never seen this before though. Although I have been in a few cockpits that I probably should have been wearing a radioactive suit they were so filthy.
"To hell with a Ferrari...give me a Super 70!"

MDorBust

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:52 pm

Professionals in all parts of Japanese society that wear unifoms often have white gloves as part of the uniform. Pilots, police, train drivers, the military (not combat uniforms) and various other occupations all commonly wear them.
"I KICKED BURNING TERRORIST SO HARD IN BALLS THAT I TORE A TENDON" - Alex McIlveen

airwave

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:55 pm

Quoting PGV (Reply 2):
They look like the pair I just bought last week to get a better grip on this 460cc Callaway Mrs. PGV gave me for my birthday!

Hmmm...something about nice club, even better wife lol.  wink 

Airwave  eyebrow 

avconsultant

Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:59 pm

Maybe someone can add to this, I was on a NW CV-580 after the purchase of Republic Airlines. I noticed on both legs of my trip the crew wore gloves.

rdwelch

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:10 pm

Isotoners with parafin wax inside for that soft after touch down feel.  Silly

Gus
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

vxg

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:21 pm

This is a funny thread, but I've had this discussion before:

If you're paranoid about germs, think about how many hands have been on those controls before you? Did the previous pilot of the airplane wash his hands with soap when he went to the john? You just never know... I can imagine that there might be a few pilots in airline fleets or private pilot renters who may prefer to wear gloves just for the hygene aspect.

For me (private pilot) there is one airplane I always fly with a glove on my left hand. The reason for this is that the push-to-talk button is a tiny button with a sharp edge and actually hurts my finger after an hour or so of flying (assuming I'm pushing it to talk a lot). Wearing a glove on my left hand ensures that I don't have any pain in my finger when I fly that plane.

I know this sounds crazy but its true.

- VxG.

rdwelch

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:25 pm

Quoting Vxg (Reply 7):
I know this sounds crazy but its true.

That's a great idea. Have you ever heard of someone flying with surgical gloves? (real question)

Gus

N8334W

Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:59 pm

While jumpseating on my flight to Mexico City on Mexicana a month ago the FO put on some baseball batting gloves prior to taking the controls for landing.

centrair

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:07 pm

All Japanese pilots and for that matter bus, train and taxi drivers wear white gloves. It is part of the transportation service uniform. The gloves are usually leather and have good grip.

Japanese pilot gloves (about $50). They are made by Suzuka Glove technology (Japanese). Each glove is made of deer and tailored to the general hand size of the pilot to make sure it is comfortable and give proper grip. They are mainly for the "Critical eleven minutes".

Here is what one website says about making the gloves fit exactly to one's hand size.

Quote:
Put the gloves on and, while wearing them, wash them with a bar of soap just as you are washing your hands. Give them a thorough rinse, squeeze out excess water and hang them indoors to dry. When they are half-dry, put them on for fitting. Now you should have a pair of snug fitting gloves on your hands. Air them again till they are completely dry. That's all there is to it. Enjoy your gloves!

Now Vxg...you have a point about hygiene but in Japan, cleanliness is next to godliness. That is why you take off your shoes, wash yourself before taking a bath, and sinks are OUTSIDE bathrooms in kindergartens and preschools (hand checks).
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

rdwelch

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:21 pm

Quoting Centrair (Reply 10):
Centrair

We are such heathens in the west! Centrair, thanks for the professional and cultural information! I'm so self-concience now that I had to wash my hands before I replied to your post. LOL.

Gus

MrMcCoy

Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:35 pm

During my AF tour in Northern Japan, almost ALL of the Japanese Nationals we worked with wore gloves. It was so common that even many of us started wearing gloves for even the most mundane of tasks.
It only takes five years to go from rumor to standard operating procedure.

HAWK21M

Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:14 am

Better grip & Avoiding Germs for some  Smile
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

airwave

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:21 am

You know, I don't think I ever thought about this before, but it's certainly a good idea and when I finally get around to starting flight training, I'm definitely picking up a few gloves of my own...

Either that or I'll be on the practice tees working on my slice.  wink 

Airwave  eyebrow 

sllevin

Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:45 am

We had a PA-31-350 for a while that didn't have working heat. Since we were typically flying late at night, and it was winter, we had to wear gloves just to keep our hands from freezing, the yoke was so cold!

Steve

tu204

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:30 am

I always wore gloves when I started training in the YAK - I was a bit nervous on my first landings and my hands got sweaty and the stick was sort of slippery. After that I only wore/wear them for aerobatics for the same reason.
They are thin black driving gloves.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

Door5Right

Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:48 am

ANA pilots wear gloves - see pic below:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Luca Baroncelli

Some BA chaps, usually ex-RAF, wear them too,
My soul is in the sky...

twal1011727

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:13 am

Quoting Vxg (Reply 7):

Quoting Vxg (Reply 7):
This is a funny thread, but I've had this discussion before:

If you're paranoid about germs, think about how many hands have been on those controls before you? Did the previous pilot of the airplane wash his hands with soap when he went to the john? You just never know... I can imagine that there might be a few pilots in airline fleets or private pilot renters who may prefer to wear gloves just for the hygene aspect.

I have seen pleeennnty of pilots using saniwipes to disenfect the controls and other items in the cockpit. But I've never seen U.S. Air carrier pilots were gloves. Military....seems like they always wear them.

Markhkg

Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:53 am

Taxi drivers in Japan also wear white gloves. People who are sick wear masks too.

Interestingly, I doubt the cotton white gloves will do much to prevent the spread of germs. If anything, it's more of a psychological benefit than anything else.

My grandmother also wears white gloves when she drives. Big grin
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

NightFlier

Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:10 pm

I used to work work for JAL, I too once became curious into why the pilot's wore gloves, so asked the pilot one day while he was doing his walk around. It is to prevent there hands from slipping off the flight yoke, not a bad idea if you ask me. I also once flew with a flight instructor who always wore gloves when we went flying.

Peace

NF
Airplanes are only as good as the people who fly&fix them.

boeingfanyyz

Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:09 pm

Yah, I've always wondered why that is!!! Kinda strange, but whatever.

I was beginning to think that if the plane they were flying crashed, they could run from the authorities and they would not have left their fingerprints behind!

Cheers,
Boeingfanyyz  airplane 
"If it aint boeing, it aint going!", "Friends are like condoms...they protect you when things get hard!"

emrecan

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:24 pm

Also taxi drivers wear gloves in Japan.

MD11Engineer

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:43 pm

Quoting Vxg (Reply 7):

Most pilots I know will wipe the controls, O2 masks and buttons in the cockpit with alcohol desinfectant wipes when taking over an aircraft.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

MarcoT

Thu Mar 30, 2006 8:53 pm

Quoting MD11Engineer (Reply 23):
Most pilots I know will wipe the controls, O2 masks and buttons in the cockpit with alcohol desinfectant wipes when taking over an aircraft.

The O2 masks I understand, but the controls and the button... How can it be worse than taking the metro or a bus or working at someone other pc at the office?

Just curious for the rationale, no polemic intent of any sort.
Too short space for my favorite hopelessly long winded one liner

CPH757

Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:54 am

Ryanair pilots wear gloves, because MOL cost cut on flight deck heating.

The pilots have to pay for the gloves themselves though...
Last flight: SAW-CPH on H9 on 02/11/09 - Next Flights: 23/12/09 CPH-AAL on QI, 30/12/09 CPH-LHR on SK, 19/01/10 CPH-CDG-

Boeing747_600

Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:45 am

To paraphrase the late Johnny C:

If the gloves dont fit

you're out of the cockpit

Given that Japanese pilots tend to wear gloves, though, I think a haiku would be more appropriate. Anybody ?

727forever

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:22 am

For the Japanese pilots this seems to be a matter of professionalism. I flew with a Japanese pilot many years ago and this thread reminds me that he too wore his gloves while flying.

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 5):
Maybe someone can add to this, I was on a NW CV-580 after the purchase of Republic Airlines. I noticed on both legs of my trip the crew wore gloves.

Pilots of 50's and 60's generation airplanes often times wear gloves as well. This is due to the fact that the aircraft were very heavy on the controls. Most aircraft of that generation were direct controls or had control tabs both of which are very heavy on the controls. Having a little bit of padding between your palms and the yoke will lessen the effects of callouses.

727forever
727forever

HAWK21M

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:14 pm

Quoting CPH757 (Reply 25):
Ryanair pilots wear gloves, because MOL cost cut on flight deck heating

biggrin 
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

vxg

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:30 pm

Quote:
You know, I don't think I ever thought about this before, but it's certainly a good idea and when I finally get around to starting flight training, I'm definitely picking up a few gloves of my own...

The reason I have a pair of gloves in my flight bag in the first place is because I realized early in my flight training that pre-flighting an airplane early in the morning during the winter is a miserable experience without them. Now these particular gloves have oil, avgas, etc. stains and everything so I don't think they help on the hygene but they are convenient to have.

theunclesam

Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:52 pm

The only time I wore gloves while flying is when I got caught in snow in a 152. The airvents wouldn't close, and the heat wasn't working so well. In addition, snow kept coming thru the vents. Oh and the pitot heat was inop.  Big grin However, I had good visibility and like Vxg mentioned, it had one of those needle PTT switches so I wore the gloves to protect my fingers. Not to mention it was cold as hell.
"So what's your robot do?" "Collects data about the surrounding enviroment. Then drives into walls."

andz

Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:02 pm

I have seen the pilots on the SAA Historic Flight aircraft (DC-4) wearing gloves but not on the regular line aircraft, I must remember to ask why!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v155/andzz/0036194SAADC4flightdeck.jpg

ps wasn't there another thread asking about Captains in the right seat?
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos