Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dutchjet

Emirates Starts 3rd JFK Service Via HAM

Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:45 pm

Quoting Delta777Jet (Reply 48):
I m sure the result will be that CO need to stop the service to EWR in worsest scenario. However my guess is, that there is enough space for two carriers serving the route. EK might fit well, because when DL was flying this route and the ATL one, there was not enough business pax supporting high revenues. I think its a good test field for them and once again they showing Lufthansa how they forgot about the other parts of germany except FRA and MUC !! Lufthansa bye bye !

While CO would of course much rather have the HAM-NYC market to itself, I don think that EK entering the market will cause CO to drop the route - CO has the benefit of the EWR hub and it seems that on flights from "Smaller European" cities to EWR there is a rather even mix of NYC-bound and connecting pax. EK will have to rely on O&D traffic exclusively.....plus the odd pax that is actually travelling from DXB to JFK on this flight (and that will be a small number with 2 nonstop flights per day offered.) The question is: will EK offer bargain fares to fill up the Y section of the 773 on this route, and is there enough traffic to keep the premium cabins anywhere near filled?

Quoting Jfr (Reply 49):

I'm guessing that a market like HAM has probably got great CARGO potential too. Maybe EK figures breakeven's less risky to/from such a big logistics hub.

And there's much less cargo and passenger competition. It's a lot easier to take on a carpetbagger like CO than LH.

This could be the answer to our question - why Hamburg? EK probably sees an opportunity moving cargo between the US and Hamburg, which is a big industrial center and a good trans-shipment center for intermodal cargo that transfers between air to sea/land transport.

I mentioned EK's Trans-Tasman services above, and I do agree that PART of the reason that EK flies its aircraft between Australia and New Zealand are the high ground fees as the Australian airports, but another consideration is cargo. EK does move a good amount of cargo in the bellies of its big widebody aircraft on those routes........and has benefitted from NZ and QF more and more using narrowbody aircraft on the Tasman routes. Maybe EK has the same idea for HAM-JFK......the 773ER has a huge cargo capacity that could be put to good use. (Of course, CO carries little cargo, if any, on its HAM-EWR 757 service......cargo capacity on the 757 is limited (expecially when compared to a 773ER), and due to range concerns when operating a 752 on a transatlantic segment, CO has weight and load restrictions to deal with.)

DAL767400ER

Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Well, don't know about transatlantic cargo demand, but EK is currently seriously contemplating starting scheduled 744F service from HAM to DXB, so they do see cargo demand from HAM. Whether it's there to NYC as well will remain to be seen.

MalpensaSFO

Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:12 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 17):
If there were honestly money to be made, US airlines would be flying to cities in the Middle East outside of Tel Aviv.

There is money to be made, the insurance premiums are to high so they have decided not to...  wink 

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 17):
The small local markets are catered by the national airlines like Egyptair and Royal Jordanian, while others like Emirates benefit from connecting power.

Emirates caters to the largest O/D market in the Middle East, Dubai... wink 
TO FLY IS TO SERVE

tsnamm

Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:16 pm

I believe that LH will be operating EWR/HAM with the biz jet 737 this summer too....

moose1226

Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:38 pm

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 27):
Let the free market rule and government intervention and aero-political, financial or otherwise subsidies be gone!

http://emirates.com/usa/AboutEmirates/TheEmiratesStory/TheEmiratesStory.asp

EK is fully owned by the government of Dubai. Sounds like government intervention to me!

I don't have a problem with the idea of fifth freedom. The problem I have with EK entering a route like this is that they are competing with a carrier that must survive without government help (at least to a much greater extent). This to me seems unfair to CO.

Humberside

Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:05 pm

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 53):
I believe that LH will be operating EWR/HAM with the biz jet 737 this summer too....

Its not been announced, and it would be a bit late for asn announcement for a summer service now

I know CO and DL compete from Berlin to NYC, how similar is the HAM-NYC market to the Berlin-NYC market? If CO and DL can successfully exist from Berlin to NYC, maybe CO and EK can successfuly exist from HAM to NYC?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

LHUSA

Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:09 pm

Quoting Tsnamm (Reply 53):

I don't believe there are any plans for LH starting a EWR-HAM. There is however a one-time charter flight flying EWR-HAM in June or July with the business jet. LH did add another frequency on EWR-FRA this summer though, bringing thier schedule to 4 daily flights out of Newark.

[Edited 2006-04-10 16:12:17]

[Edited 2006-04-10 16:13:38]

MaverickM11

Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:35 pm

When is this third service supposed to start?

Quoting Dutchjet (Reply 50):
The question is: will EK offer bargain fares to fill up the Y section of the 773 on this route,

Without a doubt, just like they do Transtasman.

Quoting Singapore_Air (Reply 27):
Let the free market rule and government intervention and aero-political, financial or otherwise subsidies be gone!

Amen. But I think we'll have better luck asking the Mesiah to come back.
I don't take responsibility at all

JoFMO

Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:38 am

Between MUC-EWR LH only flies with an Biz737. I could easily see them moving it to HAM and replacing the MUC flight with a 'real' aircraft.

This proposed EK flight is a real thread for LH, much more than the DL and CO ones from BER and DUS/CGN. But with a 737 they give EK and CO a hard run for their money.

srilankan
Topic Author

RE: Emirates Starts 3rd JFK Service Via HAM

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 57):
When is this third service supposed to start?

As the start of the tread says, HAM-JFK begins on 29 October 2006.

A319XFW

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:09 am

Quoting Jfr (Reply 49):
I'm guessing that a market like HAM has probably got great CARGO potential too. Maybe EK figures breakeven's less risky to/from such a big logistics hub.

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 51):
Well, don't know about transatlantic cargo demand, but EK is currently seriously contemplating starting scheduled 744F service from HAM to DXB, so they do see cargo demand from HAM. Whether it's there to NYC as well will remain to be seen.

checkmark 
A few weeks ago EK had a 747F in HAM with discussions to make it a regular flight, too.

MaverickM11

Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:13 am

Quoting MalpensaSFO (Reply 52):
Emirates caters to the largest O/D market in the Middle East, Dubai..

...which from NYC, is surprisingly tiny.

Quoting SriLankan (Reply 59):
As the start of the tread says, HAM-JFK begins on 29 October 2006.

Ha. Oops.
I don't take responsibility at all

HAM

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:09 am

Emirates seems to create a mini-hub in HAM - first the daily 332, then the single 744F which was there a couple of weeks ago, which might be turned into a regular cargo service, and now that new 773 DXB-HAM-New York service... this might justify the millions they are spending on their sponsorship of the HSV soccer team.

ikramerica

Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:33 am

Quoting EddieDude (Reply 14):
Well, Hamburg is Germany's second city, one of the three largest ports in Europe and a very prosperous city that is home to many transnational corporations. Whether JFK-GVA may sound more glamorous, I am sure that the market for non-stop flights between the U.S. and Hamburg can be developed to more than just 180 seats per day.

Very much so. This is more a slap in the face to LH than CO or anyone else. The FRA centric mentality of LH (just like the CDG centric of AF, the LHR(LGW) bias of BA, etc.) lends itself to USA and third party carriers to serve the markets the homecountry airline refuses to.

I think CO and EK can coexist on this route for a few reasons. First, JFK being a destination airport for EK, and EWR being a hub airport for CO. Second, EK being a foreign carrier to USA customers. Some will feel more comfortable on CO than EK. Further, CO offers a better business class, at least in my estimation. CO needs to upgrade their PTVs, but they are doing that. EK offers F, which is nice. Different but overlapping targets. And schedules are different. CO arrives HAM before business in the morning. EK arrives after noon. CO departs before 10am for EWR. EK leaves after 2pm for JFK.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 16):
exactly...its not EK's fault every NA-air carrier are a bunch of whimps and no longer want to fly to middle east countries-such as DL did pre-9-11, even though NA-air carriers could probably fly to CAI amongst other places........

EK is the new Pan Am. Seems anyone can do it if they want to (and have the backing to buy the planes). We'll see if they suffer the same fate as Pan Am.

Quote:
Well, I don't have any numbers at hand, but I would guess that O&D at EWR actually make up quite a large number of pax. CO has been pretty much focusing on advertising NYC as a destination, not as a connection airport, and with whomever I talk about this CO flight, most people talk about taking the flight to "finally visit New York".

Maybe that's true from the Germany side, but from the USA side CO advertised Hamburg on their website, in their magazine, and offers fare specials from anywhere in the USA to HAM, not just EWR.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

jacobin777

Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:51 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 63):
EK is the new Pan Am. Seems anyone can do it if they want to (and have the backing to buy the planes). We'll see if they suffer the same fate as Pan Am.

Pan Am and EK are very different companies.....Pan Am basically had no domestic feed which killed them..especially when they bought out National Airlines, which left them with a huge amount of debt, and a very mis-managed fleet..they had to sell lucrative routes to pay off their debts, and that was basically the end of them

..........while EK doesn't have domestic feed, an equivliant would be their short-haul Asian and Middle East services, of which they are cleaning house.......

are they expanding too quickly, probably, but I really can't equate them to Pan Am........
"Up the Irons!"

StarFlyer

Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:07 am

Quoting SQ325 (Reply 43):
On one hand they delayed the Service to Ham for, i think more than 6 month, because of lack of aircrafts and now they send the same aircraft further to JFK making the aircrafts run 20hours longer!

The lack of aircraft was the official reason for the delay. As a matter of fact, Emirates was unable to obtain landing rights due to severe blocking by Lufthansa. In the end, a political decision was made allowing EK to operate the service.

This is why I would be very surprised if EK got any rights to pick up passengers in Germany and take them to the US.
Yours truly - StarFlyer

srilankan
Topic Author

Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:41 am

Quoting StarFlyer (Reply 65):
This is why I would be very surprised if EK got any rights to pick up passengers in Germany and take them to the US.

EK has 5th freedom rights HAM-JFK vv.

Fly-K

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:25 pm

The flight has now been loaded in Amadeus as well.
Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been...

ikramerica

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:32 pm

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 64):
are they expanding too quickly, probably, but I really can't equate them to Pan Am........

I meant the new PA in the GOOD times, not the PA that ended up failing after deregulation and the expansion of the American carriers into international markets.

Both EK and PA have (had) models of flying continuing service through many countries with large planes and being the ambassador to the world, becoming a name everyone knew, everywhere in the world.

I flew JFK-SFO-HKG-SIN on the same 747SP on PA. That's how EK sounds these days.

My only comment was I hope they don't suffer the same fate as PA in the future, not that they are doomed.

FlyEmirates

Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:39 pm

Just love it how i am cabin crew for EK yet there is no mention of the route on the intranet or been any rumours, makes A.net invaluable for gossip.

TS-IOR

Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:33 pm

I was thinking that Emirates is running a single daily flight to JFK and reading that a third schedule is to be added has even surprised me  Wink

Lufthansa won't too much worry about that but Continental will have to counter that, if it has the potentiality !!!

EmiratesUK

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:06 am

Flights loaded in sabre now....

EK 203 F4 A4 J7 C7 Y9 W9 M9 B9 K9 H9 DXBJFK 0200 0750 77W 0
Q9 L9 T9 V9
EK 201 F4 A4 J7 C7 Y9 W9 M9 B9 K0 H0 DXBJFK 0830 1410 345 0
Q0 L0 T0 V0
EK 205 F4 A0 J7 C0 Y9 W9 M9 B9 K9 H9 DXBJFK 0855 1700 77W 1
Q9 L9 T9 V9

EK 205 F4 A0 J7 C0 Y9 W9 M9 B9 K9 H9 HAMJFK 1440 1700 77W 0
Q9 L9 T9 V9

EK 204 F4 A4 J7 C7 Y9 W9 M9 B9 K9 JFKDXB 1020 0815‡1 77W 0
H9 Q9 L9 T9 V9
EK 202 F4 A4 J7 C7 Y9 W9 M9 B9 K9 JFKDXB 2300 2040‡1 345 0
H0 Q0 L0 T0 V0
EK 206 F4 A0 J7 C0 Y9 W9 M9 B9 K9 JFKDXB 2315 2325‡1 77W 1
H9 Q9 L9 T9 V9

Enjoy!
EK A380 Private suite - Here I come!!

ARGinLON

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:13 am

I keep thinking and I just don’t see the logic behind all this. Where is the potential to justify a 77W on HAM-JFK. The market just cannot support such seat capacity without compromising yields.

I wonder what CO would do here…. Unless CO wants to have some consistency on the transatlantic network they will be no reason beyond November to maintain the HAM-EWR flight.

Can you compare CO vs. EK on this route? 752 vs. 77W? It’s just a no brainer…

panamair

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 72):

Again, as has often been mentioned and discussed, most people don't choose their flights based on a/c type (most probably don't even know in advance what a/c type it will be, and many probably don't even know the difference!). People with CO FF membership or are in SkyTeam-related FF programs will continue to stick with CO; also, their respective departure/arrival times are quite different as well. In addition, CO also offers a bunch of connecting possibilities at EWR for the HAM market. While EK will take away some of the traffic, I don't think they will run CO out of the market at all...

ikramerica

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:44 am

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 72):

Have you flown the 16J 752 HAM-EWR? In BF, it's a great flight, and they will be upgraded to AVOD throughout the year.

In Y, other than no PTVs, it's gonna be cramped anyway. There will be plenty of people who see CO and EK and choose CO because they know CO.

Quoting Panamair (Reply 73):
People with CO FF membership or are in SkyTeam-related FF programs will continue to stick with CO

Except that you can earn OnePass miles on either.

http://www.continental.com/onepass/earn/airline/emirates.asp

Sabena332

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:49 am

Quoting EmiratesUK (Reply 71):
Flights loaded in sabre now....

So it is confirmed now..... simply awesome! I hope that EK will have similar special offers like SQ has for their FRA-JFK flight.

Patrick
NZ1's mother is a disgusting crack-whore and his father is a worthless alcoholic!

panamair

Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:54 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 74):
Except that you can earn OnePass miles on either.

But not elite-qualifying miles in OnePass for EK flights (that's what I was thinking of, and frankly, personally more concerned about)...

jacobin777

Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:08 am

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 68):
I meant the new PA in the GOOD times, not the PA that ended up failing after deregulation and the expansion of the American carriers into international markets.

Both EK and PA have (had) models of flying continuing service through many countries with large planes and being the ambassador to the world, becoming a name everyone knew, everywhere in the world.

I flew JFK-SFO-HKG-SIN on the same 747SP on PA. That's how EK sounds these days.

My only comment was I hope they don't suffer the same fate as PA in the future, not that they are doomed.

I see what your saying now. checkmark .....however, as I previously mentioned, their intra-Asia short-haul and short-haul Mid East routes is equivilent to a "domestic feed"......

short routes such as DXB-KHI started as 1 daily, now its 4x/daily....on top of that, if there aren't too many pax on a flight, they'll delay the flight and load it up with cargo......its happened to me on EK a few times..

that being said, I do keep in the back of my mind how much can they expand before they find themselves with one too many planes.....
"Up the Irons!"

ARGinLON

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:24 am

Quoting Panamair (Reply 73):
Again, as has often been mentioned and discussed, most people don't choose their flights based on a/c type (most probably don't even know in advance what a/c type it will be, and many probably don't even know the difference!). People with CO FF membership or are in SkyTeam-related FF programs will continue to stick with CO; also, their respective departure/arrival times are quite different as well. In addition, CO also offers a bunch of connecting possibilities at EWR for the HAM market. While EK will take away some of the traffic, I don't think they will run CO out of the market at all...

My point is beyond FF programmes or loyalty. When it comes to fares an airline can't afford to be uncompetitive, otherwise all carriers will not price looking at each other's fares as they currently do (if you have access to a GDS system check any flights from Europe to USA and you will notice this)

CO will be competing in an O&D with a carrier offering twice as many seats so the breakeven load factor will be extremely difficult to achieve. Remember this is HAM and the demand to NYC I am sure is well below what CO and EK will offer together.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 74):
In Y, other than no PTVs, it's gonna be cramped anyway. There will be plenty of people who see CO and EK and choose CO because they know CO.

Hmmm... US based passengers may be but European know pretty well EK's product reputation.

This is just my gut feeling: I think CO won't be able to compete on the O&D since EK's fares are going to be just to low for a 752 to be profitable. CO will rely on connecting passengers through EWR but this is going to be tough due to LH/UA/US flights ex HAM via FRA.

BTW: EK is starting to annoy me now... One thing is to expand and another is to go to certain markets just to make umprofitable for both players. This is just like doing EWR-MOB on a 77W  Smile

EmiratesUK

Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:10 am

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 78):
BTW: EK is starting to annoy me now... One thing is to expand and another is to go to certain markets just to make umprofitable for both players. This is just like doing EWR-MOB on a 77W

Who says EK is going to make HAM-NYC unprofitable for CO. surley CO rely more on connecting traffic. EK will be looking or O/D traffiic & Knowing EK they will have a two fare structure for people travelling from Asia etc via DXB, simlar to what they offer on flights to Australia. if you want it cheap you will go via DXB & HAM pay a little more and you can fly direct. I don't understand why there are so many EK bashers out their. I don't see anyone complaining about AI operatng via FRA or CDG or LHR to the US or NW via AMS DL via CDG, PK via MAN the list goes on. if the business it their then why shouldbn't an airline take it? I don't see LH crying out to offer direct routes from HAM..... good luck to EK!

ARGinLON

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting EmiratesUK (Reply 79):
Who says EK is going to make HAM-NYC unprofitable for CO. surley CO rely more on connecting traffic. EK will be looking or O/D traffiic & Knowing EK they will have a two fare structure for people travelling from Asia etc via DXB, simlar to what they offer on flights to Australia. if you want it cheap you will go via DXB & HAM pay a little more and you can fly direct. I don't understand why there are so many EK bashers out their. I don't see anyone complaining about AI operatng via FRA or CDG or LHR to the US or NW via AMS DL via CDG, PK via MAN the list goes on. if the business it their then why shouldbn't an airline take it? I don't see LH crying out to offer direct routes from HAM..... good luck to EK!

I don't agree. CO relies on the O&D ex HAM. The connecting traffic to the main USA gateways goes via FRA with LH/US, AMS with KL or CDG with AF.

one thing is AI flying via LHR or CDG and something different is via HAM! The demand just does not exist. Is like doing DXB to JFK via EDI!

I admire EK in what they do in many markets but on this one they got it really wrong, they will just trash the market

LTU932

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:13 am

I'm not seeing the flight out of HAM on EK.com. When will they upload this new flight and when will EK announce formally this flight DXB to JFK through HAM?
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

MAH4546

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:28 am

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 80):

I don't agree. CO relies on the O&D ex HAM. The connecting traffic to the main USA gateways goes via FRA with LH/US, AMS with KL or CDG with AF.

No, they don't. The EWR-HAM flight is probably an about even mix of O&D an connecting traffic. You cannot fly one-stop from HAM to BGR, STL, MCI, PIT, and about 85% of American airports via Europe.
a.

max999

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:56 am

What makes JFK such a popular destination for EK that they now have three daily flights? Anyone know?

[Edited 2006-04-11 22:56:59]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

EmiratesUK

Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:59 am

What are the chances that EK have won a big contract to service JFK from HAM. simlar to the reason they send the A345 to ZRH (pharmaseutical comapny books out F class on almost every flight). Their has to be some reason behind them choosing HAM. they could have chosen a number of airports. Its amazing we all cry out for expansion from our local/regional airports and when they get it some people are still not happy. I'm not sure on the population size of HAM but look at GLA in the U.K it has CO,AA,DL then 40miles away you have EDI with DL & CO. I'm sure HAM can handle the extra flight. besides if it brings fares down then thats good!. I'm more sure its so EK can offer a two tier fare structure from Asia etc with the odd passenger picking up from HAM.

LTU932

Wed Apr 12, 2006 3:03 pm

Quoting EmiratesUK (Reply 84):
I'm not sure on the population size of HAM

I believe the city itself has a population of around 1.7 Million people. Plus the metroarea and towns such as Norderstedt for example, the city plus metro area comes to something close to 2 Million.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

JoFMO

Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:05 pm

Quoting LTU932 (Reply 85):
I believe the city itself has a population of around 1.7 Million people. Plus the metroarea and towns such as Norderstedt for example, the city plus metro area comes to something close to 2 Million.

2.5 Million is more apropriate. And if you go as far as Luneburg, Stade (less than 50km around HAM) you easily reach 3 Millions.

planetime

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:09 pm

Quoting Max999 (Reply 83):
What makes JFK such a popular destination for EK that they now have three daily flights? Anyone know?

Well question should be rephrased what makes NYC so popular (JFK might just be the most convenient for their need.). 1.Business Capital of the world. 2. Major tourist destination last year they brought in 43 million tourist. 3. For EK's benefit they have a huge South Asian Population in NY, probably rivaling that of London.

There are more but not on top of my head.

LH121GLA

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:02 pm

Quoting Max999 (Reply 83):

Probably because NYC is one of the largest business/leisure market in the USA - gives EK a basis for gaining a foothold in the USA - once they're well established at NYC other cities are sure to follow.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos