Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

goodmanr
Topic Author

USAirways Merger Update Email

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:54 am

Just got this, looks like it was sent to all elites:

With the merger of US Airways and America West nearing another milestone, I’d like to give you an update of where we are and of some imminent changes to the new Dividend Miles program and usairways.com.

First, I’d like to thank you for your patience as we’ve begun the process of integrating the airlines. From September 27 through today we’ve accomplished a great deal, and, as you know, there’s a great deal left to do. Our employees around the world have done an incredible job of beginning the integration of some of the most complex business systems in existence, and we’ve found that in the vast majority of cases those systems are working well. If you’ve experienced some struggles along the way, I apologize for that, and I want you to know that we’re aware of the outstanding issues and we’re well on the way to complete and seamless airline integration.
Accomplishments

As we progress, it can be easy to lose sight of the positive work that has been completed so far, so here’s just a small list of our achievements to date related to the Dividend Miles program:

* Earlier upgrade windows, the most generous in the industry
* More destinations, award redemption options, and upgrade opportunities with our expanded route network
* Elimination of the Saturday night stay on award travel
* Dozens of new accrual, redemption, and upgrade opportunities
* Introduction of the new US Airways World MasterCard
* New service to four destinations in Hawaii and three more coming in Europe this summer
* Launch of Swiss International Airlines and South African Airways as new Dividend Miles partners

I hope you’ll agree that these benefits alone, made possible due to the merger, have helped make the Dividend Miles program more valuable than ever and have made your travel easier and perhaps more productive.

Up Next

We’ve got two big milestones teed up for the month of May:

Launch of the new Dividend Miles program featuring:

* Combination of FlightFund and Dividend Miles accounts into a single Dividend Miles account – no more transferring miles between the two programs
* Debut of “auto-upgrades” and upgrade e-mail notification for Preferred members on both route networks
* One-way mileage upgrades
* Debut of new Platinum Preferred membership status
* Improved online redemption options
* Additional accrual and redemption options through Virgin Atlantic, Hawaiian Airlines, and other partners

Launch of the new usairways.com, which will be a re-branding of the americawest.com site with its easy-to-use features that allow for:

* A single login to manage your Dividend Miles account and book travel
* A streamlined booking process that will make it faster and easier to book your travel
* Online seat selection on America West-operated flights
* Automatic full-fare upgrades at time of purchase for Preferred members, based on availability
* Ability to change or cancel most reservations that were booked online

On the Horizon

The final technical hurdle, integrating our reservations systems (full replacement of Sabre with Shares), will not occur until early 2007. This is the one that makes airline mergers hard as these are legacy, mainframe-based systems that are complicated and delicate. Until they’re merged we’ll continue to do our best to ensure that your ability to book and change travel with us is as easy as possible.

We’ll have details to follow for the events in May, but please know that our goal is for you to notice very little change, other than for the better. Please contact us at {missing hyperlink} if you have any questions or comments.

Thank you again for choosing to travel with us. We appreciate your business.

With Warm Regards,

[Edited 2006-04-12 21:57:56]

goodmanr
Topic Author

RE: USAirways Merger Update Email

Thu Apr 13, 2006 4:55 am

two interesting things:

virgin codeshare = awesome

also, it suggests, to me that you'll no longer be able to select seats on US flights (just HP ones) at booking once the new website launches...this would be dumb

kyair

Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:22 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 1):
also, it suggests, to me that you'll no longer be able to select seats on US flights (just HP ones) at booking once the new website launches...this would be dumb

Sounds like that's due to two things mentioned in the email, that is that the "new" usairways.com is a re-branding of the current americawest.com, and the fact of US-East and US-West (old HP) being on different reservations systems. Since the new website will essentially be the current HP site, makes sense (at least technically, just not logically) that you can only choose seats on HP operated flights.

goodmanr
Topic Author

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:57 am

Quoting KYAir (Reply 2):

I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping for an alltogether new website. US has a bad website, and HP is better but still nowhere near CO or NW who have the best IMO with the exception of BA.com which I really like.

USPIT10L

Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:06 pm

That's surprising, but terrific news. Great workaround of Bermuda II. Now US finally has access to LHR, and can codeshare with BD and other Star partners at Heathrow. Any news as to when it starts?

mah584jr

Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:30 pm

Yeah I have seats booked on US already for the Spring and Summer, I hope this merging of websites doesn't affect that. As an East customer, selecting my seat was something I really enjoyed about their website.

VonRichtofen

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:22 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 4):
Now US finally has access to LHR,

They didn't codeshare at all with UA?

kiwiandrew

Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:31 pm

where did it mention a codeshare with VS ?

the only mention of VS I saw was

* Additional accrual and redemption options through Virgin Atlantic, Hawaiian Airlines, and other partners

BHMNONREV

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:19 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 7):
where did it mention a codeshare with VS ?

the only mention of VS I saw was

I received the same e-mail from Dividend Miles, and that is how I interpreted it also. No code-share, just accrual and redemption. I would guess Star would not be thrilled with a full-blown code share.

Or could this VS agreement be the beginning of a US/*A divorce....

kiwiandrew

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:37 pm

Quoting BHMNONREV (Reply 8):

or a VS / *A marriage since VS already have 'relationships' with NZ / SQ / BD and also now with potential *A member CA

Nimish

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:53 pm

So can other *A members earn miles while flying HP? Or is that still not going to be possible?

kyair

Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 9):
or a VS / *A marriage since VS already have 'relationships' with NZ / SQ / BD and also now with potential *A member CA

Well if they're having relations, they SHOULD get married!!  biggrin 

flyboyaz

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:06 pm

Sounds great, only thing I'm disappointed with is that they told us our computer systems would be merged by Sept or Oct....makes it harder for us employees!!

USPIT10L

Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:50 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 6):
They didn't codeshare at all with UA?

Not to LHR. I figured it was a matter of time, but they're still not doing it.

commavia

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:29 am

Quoting Goodmanr (Reply 3):
I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. I was hoping for an alltogether new website. US has a bad website, and HP is better but still nowhere near CO or NW

Agreed. While I do think that HP's booking system is excellent, very functional, and very user-friendly, the rest of the Americawest.com sight looks like horrible. That being said, though, USAirways.com is ever worse.

MAH4546

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:53 am

It is nothing more than Virgin's existing relationship with America West moving to the "new" US Airways.

kiwiandrew

Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:56 am

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 15):

It is nothing more than Virgin's existing relationship with America West moving to the "new" US Airways.

Please dont bring commonsense into my conspiracy theories  Wink

BHMNONREV

Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:17 am

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 16):
Please dont bring commonsense into my conspiracy theories

Yeah, leave it to Mark to ruin the party...  Big grin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos