HKGKaiTak

RE: Why Do Pax Do This? (Photo)

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:01 am

It's also a pet peeve of mine too ... but ... you'd want to stand up and stretch my legs after sitting down for any appreciable period of time (at 6ft with long legs, any Y class seat is unfriendly). And to be honest, there really isn't that much to do unless you have a window seat and be able to look outside.

Quoting MattRB (Reply 17):
Don't get up when the plane lands because it doesn't save me any appreciable time..

Depends. Sometimes I do when I'm going thru foreign customs where the queues are probably going to be long and I hate standing in the queues. I'd much rather stand by (or walk around) baggage claim or use the loo or look at tourist brochures.

Landing back home I don't particularly care, as the queues are almost always short ... (I still have not yet figured out how I always seem to get to Customs before most people no matter where I sit in a 747)
4 Engines 4 LongHaul

PipoA380

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:24 am

People usually like to do what all the others do. It's incredible, and you see great examples everyday. On planes, it's the exact same thing. I remember in Amsterdam a couple of months back. flying to Geneva. We were on an easyjet 319.

We boarded the plane with movable stairs, and there was one at the front, one at the back. We were the last "group" of passengers (Easyjet divides into different groups to board planes, first come are in A, then in B etc.). When I walked out on the apron with another a.net guy, there was a huge line at the front door (the whole staircase was full + 30ft line on the ground) and not a SINGLE person had used the back of the plane during the 80% of the boarding.

Of crouse, I walked straight to the end, and all the passengers were packing their stuff in the bagage compartments above rows 1-5... blocking all the others. In no time I was on the overwing exit row ( best seat in the house! ) walking from the back of the plane.
Of course, suddely, all pax had followed us and started boarding from the back! Too bad they weren't making the famous 'sheep sound'  rotfl 

Then, upon arrival in GVA, all passengers from row 15-30 were looking at the back of the plane (they all stood up at the seat belts off signal of course) and were waiting to deboard from the back. The problem is that GVA only has jetways.... in the front! The FAs were laughing, so was I.

Fly non-low-cost carriers on weekdays, usually it's so much better. Passengers are polite, they know what flying means. They just behave much better.

Don't be a sheep, stay seated unless your legs really hurt...  Wink
It's not about AIRBUS. it's not about BOEING. It's all about the beauty of FLYING.

transair737

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:05 am

I agree it's very annoying. However my biggest grief at the airport is waiting for luggage. Everyone stands right against the conveyor looking and waiting for their bags. Why not have everyone stand 4-5 feet back and when you see yours take 2 steps and get it. It would cause alot less frustration and keep people from shoving others out of they way or taking their knees off with a heavy bag!

levg79

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:07 am

Quoting Gritzngravee (Reply 4):
So they basically stand there for nothing only to wait longer at baggage claim. It's just impatience.

The same thing can be said about the boarding procedure, especially on normal, non-WN airlines when people have assigned seats. Everyone wants to board first, as if they're eager to sit down, while upon arrival, they want to leave as soon as possible.

Quoting Sean1234 (Reply 7):
I can understand if it was a long trip, you just want to do anything but sit.

My point exactly.

People just need to relax. Whether or not you're first to board, you're still going. Whether or not you're first to leave, you're still leaving. Keep in mind the wait at the baggage claim. Unless you have a tight connection time, getting up as soon as the plane stops is useless. Besides, you won't be able to get out faster than you would if you sat for a few minutes anyway because of the congestion up ahead.
A mile of runway takes you to the world. A mile of highway takes you a mile.

PlanenutzTB

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:18 am

Quoting Sean1234 (Reply 7):
I can understand if it was a long trip, you just want to do anything but sit.

Ditto. After being in an uncomfortable seat for 3,4 or more hours, I need to stand and stretch. This has nothing to do with getting off the plane first.
I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.

AAMaddog

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:33 am

I'm sorry but I don't see whats so terribly wrong with standing up right away. Sure you will be standing there for a few minutes until the jet bridge is connected but for me, I'm 6 feet tall....after sitting for serveral hours in a crammed cattle car seat I really looking forward to streching my legs. On a similar note, a few months ago I flew from ORD to PVD on a United Express CRJ700 and when we pulled up to the terminal there was no gate to greet us. Instead we walked right down onto the tarmac and up into the terminal. I really enjoyed being out there on the open tarmac.

2H4

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:41 am

Quoting AAMaddog (Reply 55):
I'm 6 feet tall....after sitting for serveral hours in a crammed cattle car seat I really looking forward to streching my legs.

checkmark 

It's as simple as that, folks...

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

zippyjet

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:46 am

My main issue with deplaning is when we have a flight with passengers connecting to other flights and, we (gate agents) and inflight crews ask that other passengers be courteous and allow the connecting passengers the chance to exit the plane first. Many passengers, this like many other announcements go in one ear and out the other. Even before becoming part of our industry when flying, I'd sit back chill and let everyone else hurry up (out of their seats) and wait (marooned in the aisles going nowhere fast). Then, at the end, I have all my stuff on my person and bid a fair adoo to my flight attendants/cockpit and deplane.
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

September11

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:47 am

One word: excitement

Same concept -- when a flight starts boarding, everyone gets up and form a long line.
Airliners.net of the Future

N243NW

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:06 am

Quoting SimProgrammer (Thread starter):
You've just landed, the seatbelt sign goes out with a chime - followed by the snapping & clunking of seatbelts...

What annoys me even more is when the clicking of seatbelts occurs in flight, during climb when the light is turned off for the first time. Guess they've never heard of CAT. It's amazing how some people have absolutely no regard for their own safety...it's not even like the belts are that uncomfortable, anyway.

-N243NW Big grin
B-52s don't take off. They scare the ground away.

sw733

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:07 am

I'm guilty of this, for a few reasons. First is that I just want to stand up...Second is that I just want to get off the plane...and Third is that since I rarely check baggage, and flights often seem to be late, I want to catch my ride/other plane ASAP.

steeler83

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:13 am

The last two times I flew, from PIT-PHL on Dec 28, 2005 and then on the return flight on new years, I was at the back of the plane. I like being back there, and I have no problem at all being last off the plane  Smile
Do not bring stranger girt into your room. The stranger girt is dangerous, it will hurt your life.

jfr

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:23 am

OK.....a follow-on question:

On most Asian carriers, upon landing the FA/s close the curtains between classes, and when the doors are opened clear first, then biz, then economy.

It's so much more orderly, and actually rewards the ones who are paying for the extra service.

Why don't US carriers do this?

saturn5

Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:42 pm

I understand very well what the first poster is asking. It always seems strange. I guess it is a herd mentality. Lets face it - most people do not follow logic in their daily bahavior. Have you seen in a supermarket everyone standing in the longest line instead of finding the shortest? People do it every time, it is simply laziness - mental laziness. Big grin

FlyHI777

Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:48 pm

I think it's the same reason why people run red lights in traffic or don't let you in when trying to merge....impatience?

bravo7e7

Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:19 pm

I don't get why people care. Why would this be a pet peeve? Do we have to make sure that everyone plays by our rules, and does not do what they want? If you don't like to get up, FINE, but why do you care if anyone else does? No one is asking you to get up...

AirEMS

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:30 pm

Quoting Mikefad (Reply 31):
There is always the specter of NICOTINE ADDICTION that might play a part in this odd behavior.

Amen to that... I've seen pax that have a unlit cigarret in their mouth.. I saw a guy who did that.. The second he hit the jet bridge he lit it up. Shortly there after he had a nice visit from the on duty Denver Police officer for not smoking in a smoking area.

Fly & Work Safe
-Carl
If Your Dying Were Flying

Leskova

Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:44 pm

It's the futile hunt for every possible second in which you could be living your life...

It's just like people on the Autobahn driving their cars at 200km/h, only to have to slow down to below 100km/h whenever someone slow is in the "fast lane"... they're effectively not travelling faster than someone going at a constant speed of 130-150km/h, but they're getting a lot more stress for it...  Wink

Myself, I usually stay in my seat until people in the aisle start moving - and as soon as there's enough space between people moving down the aisle, I get my bag and walk toward the exit as well.

It usually delays me by something around 60 to 120 seconds on shorthauls... and especially when having to wait for luggage, those moments that you could be out of the plane sooner are completely irrelevant.

Regards,
Frank
Smile - it confuses people!

apollo13

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:34 pm

Oh i do remember this one flight from hell!!!!

I was flying from Oakland to Seattle. We landed and arrived at the gate, and the F/A waited about 5 minutes before the jetbridge connected. As soon as ppl heard the door open, all chaos erupted. Two kids climbed over the seat next to me and stepped on my iPod. IT broke!!!! I was soo F***ing mad i grabbed the kid and he yelled. His mom asked me why i did such a thing to her son, i showed her the broken mp3 player. After we disembarked she kindly apoligized and wrote me a check for $350, so that i could go out and buy another one. I of course "forgot" to tell her i had the warranty and that her check was not needed  Wink.

mkirch72

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:34 pm

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 11):
You've been sitting down for the last xx hours, you can't wait another 5 minutes until the plane gets to the gate?

I can't speak for the shorter people in the world, but I am 6'5 and after just an hour of flying in coach I am in such pain that standing for ten minutes in the aisle is preferable to spending even 30 seconds more in seats designed to torture me.

What I've noticed that slows people down are the people that DON'T get up and get their bags. They are the ones that stay seated until it is their row's turn and then at the last minute get up and take forever trying to get their bags.

NorthstarBoy

Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:55 pm

as for why people feel the need to get up almost the instant the plane lands, for me the word of the day is "overtight connections" it's not uncommon to have a 30 minute connection with a terminal change at some airports and if your connection happens to be the last flight of the day and you come into say A-1 and your connection is going from C-44, you're panicking, because of course, we all know US carriers don't hold flights and if you don't make it, it's your problem not the airline's. if your previous flight landed on time, didn't have a mechanical or a weather issue, the airline considers itself not responsible. thus, people practically jump up the moment the plane comes to a stop, to get their bag and be five feet closer to the forward boarding door and possibly one minute closer to making that connection that's clear on the other side of the terminal.

my pet peeves? people who don't MOVE once the boarding door is clearly open.

another pet peeve is the guy on the aisle who just.....sits there! everyone else is getting up, getting their bags and getting in line to get off, and he's not moving! i hate that, especially if i have a tight connection. he'll just sit there, watching everyone else move forward and i'm practically crawling out of my skin, staring at my watch, counting down how many minutes until i miss my connection and waiting for the lunkhead on the aisle seat to get his act together so i can move out and try to run to make my connection. and when he does finally get up, he's helping the little old lady with her bag, letting her go ahead of him, and casually walking up the aisle like he has all the time in the world, and i'm trapped behind him saying "forget the little old lady, get your bag and move it buddy!"

there has been more than one occasion when i have been very tempted to physically climb over the seat in front of me to get ahead of this guy who's shooting the breeze because obviously he doesn't have a connection to make.

finally, as to why people crowd at the door to get on, i think we just have this pathological fear that if we don't go with our assigned group that our coveted window or aisle seat is somehow going to be stolen. got to get on before everyone else to stake out your site so that when the guy who's been assigned to the middle seat gets to his seat, he has no opportunity to "play dumb" and stake a claim to your seat. "Oh? you mean E isn't the aisle? i'd swear E was the aisle" and then you either have to be an "asshole" and tell him "you're in my seat" or you have to put up with the discomfort of spending x number of hours in a center seat because you're too polite to point out that E isn't the aisle, unless you're on a Delta Mad Dog, in which case, it's the window!
Yes, I'd like to see airbus go under so Boeing can have their customers!

Markhkg

Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:00 pm

When I was younger, my English teacher once recounted a horror story. She told us a story of a man who unbuckled his seat belt while the plane was still moving on the tarmac, whereupon the plane made a sudden stop. The man flew forward, and was decapitated.  Wow!  boxedin  (She particularly emphasized the word decapitated like it was a word we would need on the SAT.)

Since the story, for some strange reason, my brother and I can't seem to unfasten our seat belts until we see the nice light go off... Big grin
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

semsem

Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:19 pm

Well I always wait for people to start moving before I start leaving. We did this on Swiss once and the flight attendants threatened to "shut the door" if we did not hurry and get off. I could not believe it. The plane had just arrived in GVA from New York and they had time till it went back.

rolfen

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:10 pm

Quoting Apollo13 (Reply 68):
I of course "forgot" to tell her i had the warranty and that her check was not needed Wink.

That's baaaaaad
rolf

zvezda

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:16 pm

Quoting USPIT10L (Reply 3):
When you clean planes, you stand and wait for everyone to get off the plane before you can go up and clean it. It's a real pain in the ass. But what are you gonna do? Brand 'em with a cattle prod? Grab the bullhorn at the back of the plane and scream "Move it, assholes?" I don't think so.

The best solution I've seen to this problem is alighting from both the front and rear of the aircraft. UA are experimenting with this.

Quoting Gritzngravee (Reply 4):
But what makes it more funny, you always see those people at baggage claim.

Does anyone know what percentage of passengers check at least one bag?

avbooks

Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:38 pm

That's because only the first 10 people out of the door get to deplane. The rest has to fly back... LOL

I once landed in Las Vegas. The wheels had barely touched the ground and was still barreling down the runway with 100 mph when an elderly Japanese gentleman unfastened his seat belt took his bag and headed for the exit. That was when a male flight attendant from the aft seat sprinted down the aisle after him, grabbed the guy and pushed him into the next available seat!

northernlights

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:07 pm

Quoting Avbooks (Reply 75):
I once landed in Las Vegas. The wheels had barely touched the ground and was still barreling down the runway with 100 mph when an elderly Japanese gentleman unfastened his seat belt took his bag and headed for the exit. That was when a male flight attendant from the aft seat sprinted down the aisle after him, grabbed the guy and pushed him into the next available seat!

I had a similar case a few years back when I was on a China Airlines flight from BKK to AMS. When the aircraft just touched down and was still braking like crazy on the runway, 4 Italians (in panic to miss their onward connection) jumped out of their seatbelts left their seats, collected their hundluggage from the overhead bins and immediately started running towards the front exit door (while still on the runway)... And the Taiwanese crew did nothing, just looked on as they seemed too timid too handle the situation.

zvezda

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:15 pm

Quoting Avbooks (Reply 75):
The wheels had barely touched the ground and was still barreling down the runway with 100 mph when an elderly Japanese gentleman unfastened his seat belt took his bag and headed for the exit. That was when a male flight attendant from the aft seat sprinted down the aisle after him, grabbed the guy and pushed him into the next available seat!

Quoting Northernlights (Reply 76):
When the aircraft just touched down and was still braking like crazy on the runway, 4 Italians (in panic to miss their onward connection) jumped out of their seatbelts left their seats, collected their hundluggage from the overhead bins and immediately started running towards the front exit door (while still on the runway)...

People who do that should be arrested and fined. It significantly endangers the safety of others.

antoniemey

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:26 pm

Quoting IRelayer (Reply 25):
People lining up to walk through a double-door entrance to a building where the people in front of them are walking through one door...and the other door is completely free.

My favorite is the people, both entering and exiting the parking garage at the airport... there are generally at least 4 gates in, and between 4 and 10 out, and yet you see 3-5 cares lined up at one, and the rest are empty. I generally give a good chuckle as I roll past them to one of the open lanes.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

qfsis

Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:32 pm

I agree Zvezda! The announcements made by cabin crew are done because remaining in your seat is a safety issue, a condition of carriage and a LAW! An aircraft that seems to be taxiing quite slowly can still be moving as quickly as many of you drive your cars!  

To have Cabin Crew make these announcements and then do nothing to enforrce them is equally frustrating.  

[Edited 2006-04-21 11:42:21]

bh4007

Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:15 pm

A similar thing happened to me a few weeks back on a BY flight into MAN. We had just landed and were waiting on the taxiway and the captain told us that we would have to wait in queue to the gate. Suddenly lots of gormless passengers assumed he meant: everyone disembark on the taxiway (!) and they undid their seatbelts and stood up whilst the aircraft was starting to move again. The cabin crew were briskly on the P.A system telling the passengers to sit the hell back down. I mean; how stupid do you have to be - its not difficult; stay in your seat untill the seatbelt signs have been switched off and the aircraft has come to a complete stand-still - AT THE GATE (not the taxiway!)

fumanchewd

Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:12 pm

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 9):
Exactly. Particularly if you're over 5'9" or so, and have been sitting in a CRJ for the previous two hours...

I am 6'1" and wait patiently in my seat. I would rather read for five minutes than stand hunched over waiting for everyone else to get their s*** together.
In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey...

FlyingColours

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:26 pm

Well the passengers are not covered by insurance should they undo their seatbelts when the sign is on, so should they get injured the airline & crew are exempt from liability - this also goes for if the pilots decided to brake for no apparent reason  Wink

Last year I did turn around and yell at a passenger to sit back down - and I was promtly hit by the Assitant Purser who laughed and said I couldn't shout "Hoi you Siddown"  Smile

Nowadays I've noticed that very few passengers stand up whilst the sign is on (when we are on the ground), I'm not sure wether this is because we are into/out of MAN (and not BRS - who seemed to have a real issue with this) or wether its because our pilots come on and tell them where we are and to stay seated.

I have noticed that a few passengers will get up as soon as we stand up when cleared after take-off, we then have to promtly tell them (because they never can really hear the PA....) that they should sit down & strap in as we are just getting up to start cooking their meal.................

Some guy had a shock on Wednesday as our A320 was full of crew (2 Supernumary - myself included) and 5 cabin crew, fleet captain & training captain so I had to occupy a passenger seat in the mid cabin. Well during approach he puts his seat right back into me, so one does what one has to and lean over and say "Excuse me sir, could you pop your seat back into the upright position as it is required this way for saftey reasons etc....." oh the look on his face was priceless, I mean was I that camoflaged having my own seat row to myself and wearing a brightly coloured shirt and also running round all flight??? lol  Wink

Was nice though to be sat mid cabin, gave me a chance to chat to a good few people and also do some serious reassuring as it was really really bumpy going into RHO that day (I never knew how much the A320 cabin shakes during chop).

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

JoeCattoli

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:40 pm

It's always like that... You're right... even in trains, buses... etc. The people just can't wait to get out of the airplane... which is incredible for airplanes where you have to wait till they open the door...
I never get out of my seat till the 90% of the people is already out.... I'm never happy to leave an airplane... may be this is one reason for it!

Ciao
Joe

cnz3

Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:45 pm

Amen to all the people who have the patience to wait until the aisle clears a little. I'm a convert to this philosophy, both on boarding and landing. I like to wait and be one of the last people on board (I ALWAYS have a seat in the first few rows) so there's almost no clutter.
On landing I now wait for two reasons: I'd rather have my 17" of space in my seat than my 12" of space in the aisle crammed in with everybody else, and every time I stood up on landing, being 6'4", I HIT MY HEAD ON THE DAMN OVERHEAD BIN!       Never fails to make everybody around me snicker....

[Edited 2006-04-21 14:46:33]
D94/5 DH1/2/3/4 CR2/7/A/9 E45/70/75/90 319/20/21 734/G/8/9 752/3 762/3/4 313 333 388 L1011 772/L/W

Geo772

Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:56 pm

I have to extend this to my experience as an engineer.

Quite often after I have signed for the Pre Departure of the aircraft and received the Captains acceptance of the aircraft I then have to get off the aircraft, but for some reason there are very few passengers that will move aside to let me off as they board.

I really feel like saying to them that If I don't get off then they don't go anywhere, but I feel that would be a waste of time as well.

Message to any non-rebate passengers out there. If you are on the jetty you are as good as on board the plane won't go without you, just let those guys and girls in tabards go about their business.
Flown on A300B4/600,A319/20/21,A332/3,A343,B727,B732/3/4/5/6/7/8,B741/2/4,B752/3,B762/3,B772/3,DC10,L1011-200,VC10,MD80,

vlada

Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:27 pm

Quoting MattRB (Reply 17):
besides, who wants to be standing in the aisle of a CRJ when you're 6'3", when you could be sitting instead?

Yeah, but what if you're in the aisle seat and the guy from the window seat wants desperately to get up? Since he can not jump over you, it's either running you over, or you stand up, get your stuff, let him get his stuff, all the time crunching some body's toes in the aisle...

While I do admit to switching the cell phone on as soon as the a/c lands, I don't stand up into the aisle crowds - I just don't like crowds, so I remain seated for as long as possible.

Vlada

FlyingColours

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:00 am

Quoting Geo772 (Reply 85):
Message to any non-rebate passengers out there. If you are on the jetty you are as good as on board the plane won't go without you, just let those guys and girls in tabards go about their business.

The same should apply to during disembarkation when trying to fight your way back down the aircraft to get equipment an elderly passengers bag or something that the crew put in the midsection.

The other day I tried to fight my way against the flow of passengers to row 27 on the 757 to get a child car seat that I had moved there earlier, only about 3 passengers actually moved into vacant seats to let me through. (the plane was pretty much empty by this point (maybe 50 people left onboard).

Quoting Geo772 (Reply 85):
Quite often after I have signed for the Pre Departure of the aircraft and received the Captains acceptance of the aircraft I then have to get off the aircraft, but for some reason there are very few passengers that will move aside to let me off as they board.

I've seen that all too often, we just ask they let the groundstaff off the aircraft which they do but I guess you still have to fight your way down the airstairs or up the airbridge.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

ClassicLover

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:05 am

Quoting FlyingColours (Reply 87):
The other day I tried to fight my way against the flow of passengers to row 27 on the 757 to get a child car seat that I had moved there earlier, only about 3 passengers actually moved into vacant seats to let me through. (the plane was pretty much empty by this point (maybe 50 people left onboard).

Yeah, even when I was flying AA First, the F/A forgot to retrieve my coat so I had to go back three rows to get it. People didn't really move a lot to let me through.

I used to always book seats in the rear of the cabin, but I've learned my lesson and sit as close to the front as possible. If you're sitting up front, I understand getting up and getting ready as you don't really want to delay those behind you. No point if you're in row 75  Smile
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

UALPHLCS

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:30 am

United did a study about 5 years ago, well before 9-11 at least, that found that the most stressful time for a passenger was the period of time from the parking brake being set and the fasten seat belt sign being off, to the time they step off the plane.

It is more stressful than turbulance, rough landings, takeoffs, or bad weather.

It is a major factor in why airlines are trying to deplane from rear doors on narrow body planes with dual loading bridges, and why UA was experiemtning with docks for wide bodies. Horseshoe shaped Bridges that wrap around the nose and allow access to the left and right side doors allowing both aisles of a wide body to be used.

I understand why people jump up as soon as the seat belt sign is off, and I try and sit paciently, but hours being cooped up in a small space inside a slightly larger tube, the anxiety grows. Especially if Im in the rear of the plane.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

BWI757

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:39 am

Quoting CactusA319 (Reply 36):

Oh and I'm guilty of the cell phone thing, but its usually because some of the people who pick me up at the airport don't park but drive around so I let them know I'm on the ground.

What I don't understand is that if a person is checking-in online (either for the vaunted A group boarding card or convinience) why they do not sign up for the automatic flight paging service? They all notify someone at the designated number/address the minute the wheels touch down...I find it hilarious that as soon as the flight attendant says "Welcome to Podunk" the entire plane whips out the phones and everyone starts talking at the same time - "Hi Dear/Mike/Ben/Candy we just landed"

Some US carrier links:

Southwest:
http://www.southwest.com/cgi-bin/textMsgSubscribeEntry

AA:
https://www.aa.com/apps/travelInformation/CreateFSN.jhtml

United:
http://www.united.com/page/framedpage/0,,1526,00.html

Delta:
http://www.delta.com/cns/travel/flight_notification/index.jsp

F9:
https://www.virtuallythere.com/new/mobileServices.html?pnr=&name=&language=0&clocktype=12&style=0&host=F9

US Airways: NONE (OK, sorry)

Curious to know how these work, but that's for another thread
BWI757
"Like stars across the sky, we were born to shine" - Andrea Bocelli

ClassicLover

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:42 am

Quoting BWI757 (Reply 90):
I find it hilarious that as soon as the flight attendant says "Welcome to Podunk" the entire plane whips out the phones and everyone starts talking at the same time - "Hi Dear/Mike/Ben/Candy we just landed"

This is sooooo prevalent in the USA that it's not funny!

In February I flew several sectors in the USA, my first since 1991. Every time the plane landed, it was mobile phone hell. This just doesn't happen to same extent in Australia, Asia, Europe.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

bigbrokerbo

Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:57 am

Hello,

I remember one "funny" incident a few years ago on a LTU flight from DUS
to ACE. My wife and me had a middle and a window seat. On the asile seat was somebody who drank one red wine after another. Didn't count the bottles.

The a/c was already on the short final to ACE. All FA's were already seated.
Suddenly our neighbour opend his seat belt, jumed up, opend the overhead locker and grabbed his tennis racket.

A few pax yelled to him something like - "Hey you stupid a**hole. Get back on your seat or will you test how it feels to land while standing in the asile.

No words from the FA's. Thank god he went back to his seat with his tennis racket in his hands.

I think it was to much red wine for this guy. He tried definetly to be the first one to leave the a/c and at the baggage reclaim......
 Confused

fbgdavidson

Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:10 am

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 91):
In February I flew several sectors in the USA, my first since 1991. Every time the plane landed, it was mobile phone hell. This just doesn't happen to same extent in Australia, Asia, Europe.

Although in the UK everyone seems to wait until they get on the jetway. Then there is the grand cellphone switch on as 400 people simultaneously get calls from their voicemail. I fondly rememeber one occassion back when Trigger Happy TV was popular and everyone had that Nokia standard ring tone. Coming up the jetway hearing about fifty phones all slightly out of sync playing the same ringtone and clashing horrendously. It was aural torture of the highest order!
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

TheRedBaron

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:04 am

Only If I am on F or the first row of Y I try to disembark fast (ASAP) because if you dont you wont be able to!

Normally I wait recline my seat put the air and wait, then Ill be next to my desperate co-passengers at baggage claim...

One experience I had was very Funny:

Landed on LAX form MEX on a DL 752, We land and the plane makes a fast exit and goes quite fast on one of the taxiways, then like 10 people unbuckle, stand up and begin trying to get their bags, the P.A. had just said the usual "welcome to bla bla...hope you fly with us again" then they said: " we remind you that the seat belt sign has NOT been turned off please remain seated" then like 30 secs later the 752 makes a sudden very hard brake and 10 to 15 people go down like bowling pines.... clapping ensued....and a lot of laughs...

OWNED....
I wonder if the F.A. had something to do with it...?
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.

777wt

Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:04 am

This same thing happens all the time. But this one wasn't the norm.

2 years ago on a flight from AUA to EWR in a CO 737-700 or 800 with winglets, we did a long landing since ATC wanted to get us down otherwise we'd have to go in hold for 20 mins due to rush hour arrivals.
Long enough that hard braking at the end sent brake dust smell to the cabin.

Anyways 2 people kept getting up and opening the overhead after the plane taxied off the runway and was waiting for another 737 to start it's pushback since that was the gate our 737 was supposed to be in but they were delayed in departure.
Anyways the FA came on the PA and told them to sit down and remain seated until the seatbelt lights are off. This man in 2 rows ahead of me did it again and was warned over the PA in the same way, then for the third time, he was told to sit and if he doens't comply, he'd be arrested for interfering with the flight crew. The man sat down and didn't do anything further until the jetway was moved into place.

dforce1

Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:41 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 67):
It's the futile hunt for every possible second in which you could be living your life...

I can totally understand this point....but then explain WHY people insist on being the first to board the plane?! People are constantly crowding around the gate and that is my BIGGEST pet peeve more so than people who want to be off the plane first because it makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE! Do these people not realize that whether they are first OR last on the plane, the plane will still leave at the same time! There is no benefit. Why are people so eager to board, especially when you're going to be on an international flight for 8 hours?! If anyone has an explanation for this, or if you are one of these people...I'd love to hear your side...

I do sympathize with gate agents who are trained to be gate agents but have to be act like "ranchers" herding the flock day after day....

N766UA

Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:46 am

Quoting EridanMan (Reply 2):
who stand in the aisle for 10 minutes doing nothing, and THEN, once the way in front of them is clear, grab their bags and check their seat

Ooo amen to that. I sit and watch them stare into oblivion doing nothing for 10 minutes then when it's finally time to move they take forever getting bags down and putting magazines in the bag pockets and blah blah blah I usually just shove past them.

mikefad

Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:50 am

Quoting 2H4 (Reply 56):
Quoting AAMaddog (Reply 55):
I'm 6 feet tall....after sitting for serveral hours in a crammed cattle car seat I really looking forward to streching my legs.

checkmark

It's as simple as that, folks...

So what , are you chained down the entire flight?

It is very simple folks , and its not for the restless legs excuse.

It's more likely just "ME FIRST!!!!!!!!!!" , people............. You see them on the road everyday on the cell phones yammering away.

RobTrent

Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:10 am

Quoting Mikefad (Reply 98):
It's more likely just "ME FIRST!!!!!!!!!!" , people............. You see them on the road everyday on the cell phones yammering away.

You could be right  Smile
T7 - You know it makes sense !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos