Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

TuffGong
Topic Author

YLW Wanting European Flights.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:07 am

Heres a link to today's article in the Kelowna Daily Courier about how they are in the talks of expanding the runway to 9000' to accommodate wide bodies from Europe, even mentioning the 787
http://209.115.237.105/kelowna/publish/article_1778.php

[Edited 2006-04-22 19:08:43]
Meet you at the Ol' Yacht club for a pint.

SESGDL

RE: YLW Wanting European Flights.

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:32 am

What a joke! When CRJs can cross the pond, then YLW can get their flights to Europe.

Jeremy

CanadianNorth

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:41 am

Kelowna is becoming a good size city, but I doubt its european service big. Maybe Boeing can take their B737-700ER and make a -700LR for Westjet to start Europe/YLW flts  

Edit: I was talking with my father about this and he brought up YXY. We are a city of only 23,000 - much smaller than Kelowna - and from May-September we have 2x weekly service to Europe with 767s from Condor....

CanadianNorth

[Edited 2006-04-22 19:45:22]
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

A319XFW

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:46 am

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 2):
Kelowna is becoming a good size city, but I doubt its european service big.

Perhaps they can have seasonal flights for tourists going into the Rockies?
I mean, doesn't Yellowknife get Condor flights from FRA in the summer?

timeair

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:49 am

AC doesn't get the 787 until 2010. The 777 comes online next year, and YLW doesn't have the ability to handle the 777 unless it wants to pick and move the terminal 200ft to the west to prevent the disruption the 777 would create while parked on gate. (No manouvering space for the ACJ/WS/HQ flights to get around the acft due to ramp size in YLW)
And of course the media has no fricking clue on acft stats, nor does Mr. Ballingall in regards to aircraft manufacturing (DeHavilland doesn't exist it's all bombardier!) It's all a pipe dream for Mr. Sellick, who has his head so far up somewhere the sun don't shine, he can't see reality if it bit him in the arse!
You can't get there from here.

Jean Leloup

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:50 am

That's a pretty bizarre. I'd say a weekly charter in the winter might be possible, something like what YDF has - except YDF just has a 737, this route would require a widebody. Even once a week might be pushing it.

They mention the fact that there were 600 skiiers from Hawaii last year, as evidence that flights to Europe would be successful. I think that's really pushing it, although I really don't know how many Europeans fly to YVR or YYC on their way to ski vacations. Perhaps YLW can nab some of that business.

Still, for a 1M pax/year airport to be looking for service to Europe is a bit much.

JL
Jean Leloup - original a.net moderator (2001-2005) and still recovering!

CanadianNorth

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:55 am

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 3):
I mean, doesn't Yellowknife get Condor flights from FRA in the summer?

Nope, but Whitehorse does....

CanadianNorth

9252fly

Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:25 am

Please,not another airport with delusions of grandeur!

Tennisace

Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:43 am

Quoting 9252fly (Reply 7):
Please,not another airport with delusions of grandeur!

It's funny, YKA and YXC are also in the planning stages of runway/terminal expansion for the exact same reasons..........hoping to get more long range flights to bring in the tourists for the skiing.

yegbey01

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:02 am

that's a joke man....

There are too mancy cities that are in a much better position to attract new flights before YLW can be even looked at....

They on't even run flights to Edmonton for God sake...where the heck is Kelowna on the map to get that kind of service

northstardc4m

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:06 am

YLW, transatlantic??? yes suuure, just like YYB should get right, i mean YYB has 10000'! Not to mention Bagotville...

I mean come on Kelowna, you may be a touristy type place but i can't see Europe... even a once weekly summer only Zoom 763 to LGW or STN seems far-fetched.

Hawaii charters maybe... I think its even theoretically in 73G range of HNL?
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Avianca

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:06 am

Quoting CanadianNorth (Reply 2):
Edit: I was talking with my father about this and he brought up YXY. We are a city of only 23,000 - much smaller than Kelowna - and from May-September we have 2x weekly service to Europe with 767s from Condor....

Quoting A319XFW (Reply 3):
Perhaps they can have seasonal flights for tourists going into the Rockies?

good possible for tourist flights, but on the other hand, YLW is just located in the middle of YVR and YYC.....
Colombia es el Mundo Y el Mundo es Colombia

yow

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:20 am

Quoting NorthStarDC4M (Reply 10):
I mean come on Kelowna, you may be a touristy type place but i can't see Europe... even a once weekly summer only Zoom 763 to LGW or STN seems far-fetched.

As a nonstop yes, but as a tag onto a YYC-LGW or YEG-LGW leg might not be so far fetched.

As has been mentioned YXY at 23,000 pop. is the smallest city in North America with transatlantic air service (albeit summer seasonal).

CanadianNorth

Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:24 am

Quoting Avianca (Reply 11):
but on the other hand, YLW is just located in the middle of YVR and YYC.....

True, here at YXY the next place with regular European flts is atleast an hour away at ANC, and even then the options are quite limited. Next city with European service is about 2 hours (YYC and YVR); where as YLW is about a 30-40 minute 737 (about 50ish by Dash 8) flight from YVR, and YYC is a similar distance.

CanadianNorth

ACDC8

Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:58 am

YLW is the fastest growing airport in Canada at present. They hit over the 1 million pax mark for 2005. The Okanagan is really growing at present (not just Kelowna), we've all seen a major boom of tourists that have been coming in this past winter (especially Australians and New Zealanders) this past winter to go skiing at Silver Star and Big White. If the tourist rate and amount of people moving into the Okanagan area continues at this rate, I could see YLW getting some international services in the next few years, maybe a once a week charter to the UK, FRA or AMS. Another possibility is a YLW flight stopping off in YYC on its way back to Europe.

However, RWY 16/34 will have to be extended and that could be tricky as there is a main road just off of RWY 16 and a golf course just off the threshold of RWY 34. Also, as Timeair has stated, the ramp needs major renovations as anything larger then a B762 will be too tricky to manouver around. If anyone gets a chance, take a look at the expanison proposels upstairs in the obersvation area next time you're at YLW.

Harmony has weekly flights from YLW to HNL in the winter with B757's.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

threepoint

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:39 am

Quoting Tennisace (Reply 8):
It's funny, YKA and YXC are also in the planning stages of runway/terminal expansion for the exact same reasons..........hoping to get more long range flights to bring in the tourists for the skiing.

I think this may be the most telling reason for the announcement/pipe dream. The rivalry between Kelowna and Kamloops has festered for decades, and the city with all the new money and flash - Kelowna - couldn't bear to be upstaged should Kamloops ever receive ski charters directly from Europe. Keep in mind, any future trans-atlantic service (don't even think about before 2010...more like 2015 inthe case of YKA) would serve the ski destinations in the winter as opposed to summertime or scheduled flights.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 14):
However, RWY 16/34 will have to be extended and that could be tricky as there is a main road just off of RWY 16

It's not at all a main road., it just serves acreages and a subdivision up the hill. They could divert or tunnel that road for a pittance. The planed expansion of YKA involves reconstructing long dykes that protect the airport from the adjacent river, so altering a 30-foot wide stretch of blacktop in YLW would be a piece of cake.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

ACDC8

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:42 am

Another note I'd like to add, if AC was smart, they would include (for no extra charge or at a reduced rate) for a YYC or YVR flight to YLW in the ticket price if one would purchase a longhaul flight. Similar to LH in Germany flying longhaul, if you purchase a ticket, the connecting flight from most airports in Germany is included in the price.

threepoint

Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:53 am

"We're the most expensive airport to fly into in Western Canada for a U.K. skier because of the extra flight you have to add on," he said (attributed to Ballingall)

It's sheer nonsense too. I fly to Europe out of YLW frequently, and the add-on can be as low as CDN $250. I can think of many comparable airports in BC alone that would be far more expensive to get to from the UK. Castlegar (YCG), Cranbrook (YXC), Prince George (YXS), etc. Each of these cities is a direct flight from YVR or YYC but are disproportionately expensive for the 45-60 minute add-on flights.

ACDC8

Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:56 am

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 15):
It's not at all a main road., it just serves acreages and a subdivision up the hill. They could divert or tunnel that road for a pittance.

Old Vernon Road is an important link to HWY 97, without it, the traffic would have to drive out around the airport and come out at Reid's corner. The road could be moved to the north, but then the airport would have to buy out the ginseng farm between the north end of the aiport and Duck Lake.

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 17):
I fly to Europe out of YLW frequently, and the add-on can be as low as CDN $250.

As do I. The extra $250 is quite a bit of money that one has to add on to already expensive tickets out of Canada. I do agree, that YLW is quite a bit cheaper to fly in and out of as compared to other BC interior cities.

threepoint

Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:07 pm

ACDC8, I'm not disputing the fact that Old Vernon Rd is a link to the highway for the residents on the east side of the airport, but the way it was originally mentioned above, it gave the impression that it posed a significant obstacle for runway expansion to the north. I think you'd agree that if there were major benefits to be realized from runway lengthening, that road would be diverted or tunneled toute suite. I'm not sure which is Reid's corner...is it to the south?
I'd suggest obtaining land out of the ALR to the north would be more of a problem, but in the Central Okanagan (Bennet-land), I think the land grab (ahem, rezoning) would be a mere formality (as it was in YKA).
Bottom line: if there is a legitimate reason to extend the runway to 9000' (it's my opinion that it's an unnecessay upgrade for the next few years), then the airport authority/city/regional district/prov or federal gov't will waste no time in procuring or appropriating the needed land.

yyz717

Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:12 pm

Even YWG and YEG cannot sustain scheduled flights to Europe. How the hell can YLW?

Maybe a weekly charter in ski season at the most. Even thenn, it will be sustained by Europeans visiting YLW, not by demand from YLW.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

threepoint

Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:19 pm

Yyz717, that was established earlier in the thread. The push is from the local ski hills (both Australian-owned) for direct charter winter service. The same scheme is underway in Kamloops too.
Don't get hung up on demand to Europe from the valley (which is strong, but not widebody-strong just yet), think along the vein of the Germany-Whitehorse summer charters.

ACDC8

Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:34 pm

Threepoint, I do agree with you that if YLW wants to expand, it will. However, extending YLW's runway will be an expensive proposition due to the fact that they will have to acquire land and get it rezoned, land rezoning in the Okanagan is always met with lots of opposition, especially when airport expansion is in question. Moving Old Vernon road is not hard, it's just getting the land to do it that could be very expensive. Extending it to the south is also possible, but you have a golf course, residential and commercial land to deal with. But I am quite sure that it will happen within the next 5 years. BTW, Reids corner is the intersection just south of the airport when you take HWY 97 into Kelowna, where the big Kelowna sign is (across from Mohawk and Tim Hortons).

Yyz717 both YWG and YEG are missing one thing that YLW has, and that is 2 major world class ski resorts within easy driving distance. As Threepoint and others have pointed out, YLW has been seeing lots of foreign tourists (with lots of money to spend) in the last couple of seasons and the demand is increasing. Both Silver Star and Big White are getting bigger and better every year to try and cope with the demand. Also, I agree 100% with Threepoint, the main market of travellers will be inbound pax, not outbound.

I remember sitting at the gate in YLW about 12 years ago, and overheard a conversation between two gentlemen about starting direct service from YLW to YYZ, a couple of other people got into the discussion and said it would never happen, not enough demand. A few years later, we've already got 10 flights a week. It wouldn't surprise me to see the first non Canadian or American B757s, B767s or even B787s flying longhaul out of YLW in the next 5 to 7 years.

threepoint

Mon Apr 24, 2006 1:41 am

ACDC8, good points. While I agree that the runway in Kelowna will likely be extended within 5-7 years (as is the plan in Kamloops), I'm not sure even the valley's three ski hills, vineyards, lakes, etc will warrant such large incoming pax numbers to justify a non-stop widebody aircraft. But adopting the 'if you build it they will come' philosophy can only entice such service.
I often wonder what the difference between the Okanagan and the Yukon is that the latter can support summertime 767 service from Germany. I think there are equal or greater numbers of Germans passionate about the Okanagan as they are about the romance & allure of the north, but my guess is that they simply move here fulltime because the Okanagan winter is not as harsh as it is in the Yukon.
The local economy is so red-hot and promises to continue this way, so major infrastructure upgrades, despite the pooh-poohing from Toronto, are inevitable. It's my opinion that we should try to retain as much open land as possible, because it already disappearing at alarming rates...but that's a topic for another forum.

yyz717

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:01 am

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 23):
I often wonder what the difference between the Okanagan and the Yukon is that the latter can support summertime 767 service from Germany

It's a marketing thing. The Yukon govt focused tourism $ on Germany. Open spaces, Klondike, natives, etc etc. The Germans lapped it up.
I dumped at the gybe mark in strong winds when I looked up at a Porter Q400 on finals. Can't stop spotting.

timeair

Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:08 am

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 15):
Keep in mind, any future trans-atlantic service (don't even think about before 2010...more like 2015 inthe case of YKA) would serve the ski destinations in the winter as opposed to summertime or scheduled flights.

YKA isn't really concerned about direct flight ex Europe, but looking towards the introduction of longer range domestic/transborder services, with improved customs facilities and terminal ammenities. Such services likely to operate into YKA non stop would originate YYZ/ORD & DEN, with domestic short-medhaul non stops likely to materialize may originate YMM/YEG/YYJ and year round SEA-YKA flights .

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 22):
or even B787s flying longhaul out of YLW

Gonna have to tell Sellick to expand that ramp to be able to accomodate all the other carriers, or he's gonna have a lot of POD customers choked he made another exception just to have B787 service out of YLW!

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 23):
often wonder what the difference between the Okanagan and the Yukon is that the latter can support summertime 767 service from Germany.

The service offered by DE (CONDOR) into YXY/ANC is a spinoff from cruise traffic. Several German tourists will fly into YVR, cruise the inside passage, take a train from ANC to YXY, then get on their flight back to FRA, or stay in ANC and board on the flight direct back to FRA. Whereas the opposite will happen for those flying into YXY, they will get on train, etc etc.

DE2066 ops Tuesdays FRA-YXY-ANC-FRA
DE4066 ops Thursdays FRA-YXY-ANC-FRA

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 20):
Even YWG and YEG cannot sustain scheduled flights to Europe

Who said they had to be a scheduled flight, most are/or would be charters, as DE has expressed interest in YKA and YXC.

We're the most expensive airport to fly into in Western Canada for a U.K. skier because of the extra flight you have to add on," he said (attributed to Ballingall)

It's sheer nonsense too. I fly to Europe out of YLW frequently, and the add-on can be as low as CDN $250. I can think of many comparable airports in BC alone that would be far more expensive to get to from the UK. Castlegar (YCG), Cranbrook (YXC), Prince George (YXS), etc. Each of these cities is a direct flight from YVR or YYC but are disproportionately expensive for the 45-60 minute add-on flights.

This can be attributed to the customer not knowing the fact that through fares on 1 carrier can be quite a bargain
OK, look at the fares...
LHR-YVR EUR450.00 return
LHR-YLW EUR499.00 return
DIFFERENCE = eur49.00 = cad68.00 ROUNDTRIP!
or.......
FRA-YVR EUR550.00 return
FRA-YLW EUR625.00 return
DIFFERENCE = eur75.00 or approx CAD105.00 FOR ROUNDTRIP FARE! not too bad if you ask me!

Wonder which travel agency Ballingall uses??????

threepoint

Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:01 pm

Quoting TIMEAIR (Reply 25):
YKA isn't really concerned about direct flight ex Europe, but looking towards the introduction of longer range domestic/transborder services, with improved customs facilities and terminal ammenities. Such services likely to operate into YKA non stop would originate YYZ/ORD & DEN, with domestic short-medhaul non stops likely to materialize may originate YMM/YEG/YYJ and year round SEA-YKA flights

As you well know, there is a specific interest in the direct Europe flights, backed heavily by Sun Peaks resort and the heli-ski operators. How economically feasible that will be is anyone's guess, but mine is: not very. I can't see the demand for a 767-size airplane to Kamloops in the winters yet, and I believe the YKA proposal admits a time frame of 2015 or some similarly far-away date.

As for the increased domestic & transborder flights, do they require a 2000' extension? I would imagine such service would utilize a 737 or 320 type aircraft, which could (even at max gross weight) use the existing 6000' quite comfortably now, although I'd need the charts and performance data for those airplanes to be sure. Expanding YKA-SEA service to year-round wouldn't require an extra inch of pavement...wouldn't they (Horizon) use at most a Dash 8 Q400? What is sorely needed (and again you know it's included in the plans) is the ILS for runway 08.
Or 26...whatever, they both suck for terrain.

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 24):
The Germans lapped it up.

The Germans certainly have been lapping it up. As well as much of central and northern BC. Instead of simply lapping, they're buying it all up too.

Jean Leloup

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:19 am

Quoting YOW (Reply 12):
As has been mentioned YXY at 23,000 pop. is the smallest city in North America with transatlantic air service (albeit summer seasonal).

Actually, the population of YDF is only 5,000, and they have weekly charter service to LGW. I don't remember whether it's seasonal, though (I know it serves a resort which features summer and winter activities...)

JL
Jean Leloup - original a.net moderator (2001-2005) and still recovering!

dforce1

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:23 am

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 9):
There are too mancy cities that are in a much better position to attract new flights before YLW can be even looked at....

I often wonder whether YYJ could handle a non-stop seasonal weekly charter European flight. While YYJ is extremely close to YVR and SEA, the just over 1 million passengers per year that travel through YYJ is not an accurate reflection of the number of tourists that visit Victoria.

Didn't Abbotsford once have a weekly Zoom service to London?

As noted previously, Harmony does operate 757's already on this route. Could be possible to see future WJ service to Hawaii or maybe even Las Vegas.

Quoting Yegbey01 (Reply 9):
They don't even run flights to Edmonton for God sake...where the heck is Kelowna on the map to get that kind of service

How about a twice weekly seasonal Zoom flight departing YLW to LGW via YEG? Sound good to you? Now you can both be happy!

"We're the most expensive airport to fly into in Western Canada for a U.K. skier because of the extra flight you have to add on," he said (attributed to Ballingall)

Although some of the northern airports like Williams Lake are really expensive to fly into, I would argue that YYJ is one of the most expensive. Considering that it's only a 15 minute flight, fares range from $250 to $350 return. Does anyone know why it's so expensive? Dash 8's couldn't be that expensive to operate!

Quoting Yyz717 (Reply 20):
Even YWG and YEG cannot sustain scheduled flights to Europe. How the hell can YLW?

Well who wants to go to YWG or YEG? Neither have huge tourism markets or potential. YEG perhaps with the West Ed. Mall and other things but the winter ski market is a big thing - look at Whistler.

YKA non stop would originate YYZ/ORD & DEN

On what basis do you get a YKA-ORD flight? Who from ORD would want to go to YKA and vice versa? I'm still struggling to come to terms with Delta's new YYJ-Salt Lake City service.

short-medhaul non stops likely to materialize may originate YMM/YEG/YYJ

Regional 1 operated a YKA to YYJ flight - didn't do very well and where's Regional 1 now?....doing charters only. I do think YKA deserves a YYC flight though either by WJ or AC. An AC CRJ would be a nice fit.

Wonder which travel agency Ballingall uses??????

Well I think he's referring to the cost of booking a stand alone ticket between a hub and YLW. Same principle applies to YYJ, cost to book a flight between YYJ-YVR, cost is between $250 to $350, but if you add it on as part of an international flight, the difference in cost is reduced to about $100. But he does make a valid point in the sense that not everyone flies AC, what about Zoom and Air Transat? One would have to book a stand alone AC flight at an outrageous cost. The travelling public is not always saavy when it comes to booking flights and often assume that AC is more expensive, but if you add up a charter flight plus the AC connector - it could be more!

timeair

Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:32 pm

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 27):
I do think YKA deserves a YYC flight though

1 X daily now, with an additional arrival Sat nite and early am deprtr Sun AM, the RJ is nice, however during hot weather wud create some negative issues.

Quoting DFORCE1 (Reply 28):
Regional 1 operated a YKA to YYJ flight

Yes they did, however that was an extension of their flight that opt'd YQF-YLW-YVR-YYJ, and was a result of high costs of having a 4.5 hr layover in YYJ and using up valuable gate positions, not to mention the time of day they operated sucked....11:00am departure with a noon arrival and a 14:30 dprtr back to YYJ was useless for the business traffic they were hoping to attract.
ACJ has a few more machines and can build a better schedule suited to the business/leisure traveller.

On what basis do you get a YKA-ORD flight? Who from ORD would want to go to YKA and vice versa?

This would likely be a seasonal service with 737/320 family aircraft and likely a weekly service only. 19% of YKA's ski traffic originates from the U.S. Northeast, particularly the heli ski traffic with the big $$ that head North or East of YKA.

if you add up a charter flight plus the AC connector - it could be more!

My point exactly, the consumer rants and raves about these smokin deals out of europe, then oops, they can't get there from here because the airline doesn't serve the place they want to go, hmm should have looked into it a little more before snappin up that 600eur fare online! Guess they all can't be rocket scientists eh?  Big grin

wolsingerjet

Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:20 pm

YLW could possibly obtain charters to europe if and only if the ski resorts went all out in advertising you could attract a seasonal charter.As for YEG summer charters are increasing with Martinair 2xAMS,Zoom 1xLGW,Mytravel 1xLGW,Air transat 1xFRA.Plus the ANA charters to KIX and now AeroMexico to MEX,the region is attracting alot of visitors to the mall (over 5 million a year) and to Jasper(the uncrowded Banff) wich is rather sad as it is turning into another Banff.As for YLW being the fastest growing airport in canada thats odd since YEG just claimed this week its the fastest growing,according to the airports website.
Guess what???I dont like you either...

dforce1

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:06 am

Quoting TIMEAIR (Reply 29):
1 X daily now, with an additional arrival Sat nite and early am deprtr Sun AM, the RJ is nice, however during hot weather wud create some negative issues.

Is the YKA-YYC service operated with a CRJ or a Dash? Doesn't YKA get service to YLW with a B1900? What about to YXS?

Quoting TIMEAIR (Reply 29):
This would likely be a seasonal service with 737/320 family aircraft and likely a weekly service only. 19% of YKA's ski traffic originates from the U.S. Northeast, particularly the heli ski traffic with the big $$ that head North or East of YKA.

Perhaps with Frontier looking more closer at Canada, you might see service from Denver eventually.

I wonder if YKA or YLW would ever be able to lure HeliJet. HeliJet operates to Whistler.

ACDC8

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:14 am

Could be possible to see future WJ service to Hawaii or maybe even Las Vegas.

WS has seasonal services to LAS from YLW as well.

I strongly believe that YLW has major potential to get the one or other seasonal charters from overseas. As far as YKA goes, I don't know as I am not familiar with the airport (only flown in and out privately) and I don't spend much time in the Kamloops area.

SkydrolBoy

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:06 pm

There are some very valid points brought up here, but remember the way things work when city governments are involved, if the say they are gonna extend the runway dont expect to see it in action for at least another two years. If the runway was extended I'm sure it would be to the south so that the ILS and approach procedures would not have to be altered since 90% of the flight landing in YLW come in from the North, also I've been told that the city already owns enough land to the south to extend the runway. I remember a few years ago when YLW-HNL direct flights were first thought about and no one thought they would work, but for most of the winter season this year Harmonys A/C were almost full every flight. Just a year and a half ago flights into YLW were dominated by Dash-8s, and nowadays all you see are jets coming in except for Horizon and the odd Jazz flight. I've been hearing rumors floating around that flight to europe might even start this summer. I personnaly think flights to europe would do very well in YLW as it still had a high population of retiries that I'm sure would love to be able to catch a direct flight back to the old country.

The "If you build it they will come" seems to work really well for YLW, just look at Kelowna Flightcraft, they built a hangar capable for a 757 last year and it has been full of them since the day it has opened. There is talk of already expanding the hangar to accomidate 2 757's at the same time, as well as there is talk of building another hangar capable of larger A/C.

yow

Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:52 am

Quoting Jean Leloup (Reply 27):
Actually, the population of YDF is only 5,000, and they have weekly charter service to LGW. I don't remember whether it's seasonal, though (I know it serves a resort which features summer and winter activities...)

Yeah I remembered about YDF earlier on today. Astraeus 73Gs. However, I'm still right about YXY being the smallest city, since Whitehorse is a city, while Deer Lake is a town.  Wink

I do think YKA deserves a YYC flight though either by WJ or AC. An AC CRJ would be a nice fit.

Jazz has had a daily Dash 8 for the past couple of decades.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 14):
YLW is the fastest growing airport in Canada at present.

Quoting Wolsingerjet (Reply 30):
As for YLW being the fastest growing airport in canada thats odd since YEG just claimed this week its the fastest growing,according to the airports website.

Both YLW and YEG's claims are untrue. YMM is by a wide margin the fastest growing airport in Canada, +33% in 2005. YLW is the fastest growing airport > 1 million pax, while YEG is the fastest growing major airport, likely to surpass 5 million pax in 2006...remarkable given they only passed the 4 million mark 2 years ago.

timeair

Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:50 pm

Quoting DFORCE1 (Reply 31):
I wonder if YKA or YLW would ever be able to lure HeliJet

They already serve these cities, but you don't want to be a passenger on these flights unless you need major medical attention..and BTW, Whistlers service is by S76 helos.

Quoting DFORCE1 (Reply 31):
Is the YKA-YYC service operated with a CRJ or a Dash? Doesn't YKA get service to YLW with a B1900? What about to YXS?

Ops with DH8-300 YKA-YYC
9M suspended YKA-YLW when it was deemed that both YKA and YLW could sustain daily service to YXS.
Yes Daily service except on Sat with B1900 by 9M.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos