Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flyboy36y
Topic Author

JFK Will Be Painted To Look Like LHR

Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:40 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/25/nyregion/25airport.html

Travelers landing at Kennedy International Airport may soon think they have landed at HSBC Airport instead.

HSBC, one of the world's biggest banks, has signed a five-year deal with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to be the exclusive advertiser — other than airlines — on the 108 jet bridges that link planes to the terminals at Kennedy.

N754PR

RE: JFK Will Be Painted To Look Like LHR

Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:03 pm

Great to see The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corp all over the world!
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

Beany

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:48 pm

Quoting N754PR (Reply 1):

HSBC is actually a British bank headquatered in London  Wink

jbmitt

Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:58 pm

N754PR is correct.

HSBC is located in London, but has locations world wide.

Beany

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:18 pm

Quoting Jbmitt (Reply 3):
N754PR is correct.

HSBC is located in London, but has locations world wide.

HSBC = Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corp

But even though the name suggest one thing, HSBC is a British Bank with its headquarters in Canary Wharf, London. In fact, its one of Britains biggest companies and one of the most profitiable.

The same as Citibank being an American bank but having offices and branches worldwide.  Wink

komododx

Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:26 pm

Quoting Beany (Reply 2):
HSBC is actually a British bank headquatered in London

And where do you think the name comes from?  Yeah sure

Anyway, good to see HSBC using the jetbridges as an advertising tool, given that they want to expand their customer base in the US.

Stefano  wave 
I'm homeless and unemployed

max999

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:19 pm

Although I'm a satisfied HSBC customer, I'm not happy to see their ads all over New York City (subway, phone booths, etc). HSBC ads are horrible and their newest campaign, Your Point of View, doesn't communicate anything. What does it mean? What does it have to do with banking? It seems like it's some feel-good campaign for HSBC and does nothing else for the company, marketing-wise.

See the ads for yourself. www.yourpointofview.com

[Edited 2006-04-25 15:33:57]
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

commavia

Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:22 pm

So does this mean that airlines are no longer going to have their logos on their exclusive-use gates? That's the key difference at JFK vs. LHR: many of the gates (and, indeed, terminals) at JFK are controlled by a specific airline. And they all have their little logo plate on their jetbridges.

Beany

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:06 pm

Quoting Komododx (Reply 5):
Quoting Beany (Reply 2):
HSBC is actually a British bank headquatered in London

And where do you think the name comes from?

From the fact it was established in 1865 to finance the growing trade between the UK, Europe and China. Nothing to do with it being based in China.

Tbird

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:13 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me, anything to make some of those drab jetways at JFK look better is a good idea.

flylondon

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:14 pm

Quoting N754PR (Reply 1):

The Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corp is in Hong Kong. It's parent company, HSBC Group PLC is all over the world.

rjpieces

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:20 pm

What's that photo in the article?
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

JohnJ

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:26 pm

From HSBC's web site:

"We are the world's local bank.

Headquartered in London, HSBC is one of the largest banking and financial services organisations in the world. HSBC's international network comprises over 9,500 offices in 76 countries and territories in Europe, the Asia-Pacific region, the Americas, the Middle East and Africa."

Not sure I like this idea. Heathrow looks like it's pretty much owned by HSBC and I guess JFK will look much the same. HSBC has a strong presence in the New York market by virtue of having purchased Marine Midland Bank in the 1990s.

vtnyc

Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:27 pm

Isn't this going to compromise the security at our nations premier international gateway. After Duabi ports now it's the Communists. Better get our senators involved.

VT-NYC Big grin
First Flight, PA001 DEL-FRA-LHR-JFK; Dream- JFK-COK on a B6 787

jfklganyc

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:38 am

Stupid idea!

We are selling everything and anything to advertising now! Has anyone else noticed the new ads EVERYWHERE in the terminals at LGA and JFK? They are big and yellow . . . like wallpaper. I think they are Sprint or Nextell. And they are covering entire walls in the Central Terminal Bldg at LGA and the new AA terminal at JFK.

Also, the arrival hallway for the USAirways Shuttle has been taken over by 'Revive Bed' from Marriott. Including a Maroon stripe painted down the hall.

PJ

jsnww81

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:41 am

As long as that's the only change they make, I'm OK with it.

(tongue-in-cheek)... if they made JFK look completely like LHR, they'd have to scrape half the paint off the walls, cover up all the windows so you can't see a single aircraft from the inside of the terminal, put water splotches on the ceiling and floors, and be sure to make everyone pass through at least two lavish shopping areas where directional signage is hidden among a lot of signs for World Duty Free, Costa Coffee and Burberry. And they won't tell you what gate your flight leaves from until about ten minutes before boarding, so as to keep you in the shopping mall until the last possible moment. Every cent of investment would go toward maintaining these shopping malls, while public areas like concourses, security checkpoints and gate lounges would be allowed to completely fall apart.

JFK has been rebuilding steadily over the last ten years and is becoming one of the best airports in the world. Even when Terminal 5 is finished, LHR will still be a horrible airport, because it's managed by an entity (BAA) who would rather be running shopping malls than airports.

(end rant)  Smile

Gr8Circle

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:44 am

Quoting VTNYC (Reply 13):
Isn't this going to compromise the security at our nations premier international gateway. After Duabi ports now it's the Communists. Better get our senators involved.

Did you miss all the replies saying that HSBC is a British bank HQ'd in London....?  smile 

DAL767400ER

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:52 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 7):
So does this mean that airlines are no longer going to have their logos on their exclusive-use gates? That's the key difference at JFK vs. LHR: many of the gates (and, indeed, terminals) at JFK are controlled by a specific airline. And they all have their little logo plate on their jetbridges.

Good question. Sure, JFK has a few international gates who's users change, basically all gates in Terminals 1 and 4, and perhaps some gates at T7, but those add up to less than 30 gates.
That said, HSBC specifically talks about 108 "jet bridges", and JFK does have quite a few gates with dual jetways, don't they? And those dual jetways could even be split up, with one jetway having the HSBC sticker, and the other jetway that of the respective airline.

PDPsol

Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:59 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 15):
Even when Terminal 5 is finished, LHR will still be a horrible airport, because it's managed by an entity (BAA) who would rather be running shopping malls than airports.

Well, BAA may very well have new shareholders in the near future. As everyone knows, a consortium led by Ferrovial SA of Spain [with participation by the Caisse de Depot of QC, Canada, and Singapore's GIC] has filed offering documents offering to bid GBP 8.75 billion for BAA. While market analysts believe Ferrovial will need to increase its bid to convince BAA's shareholders, BAA is firmly "in play" and will most likely trade hands.

There is a reason BAA is obsessed with retailing at LHR and LGW; it collects substantial lease and fee income from operators at its facilities. Usage fees are regulated, retail lease income and advertising fees are NOT!

It is no surprise the PANYNJ is following the lead of private facility operators in other countries. I suspect this agreement with HSBC is only the start of other similar deals.

airwave

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:01 am

Quoting JohnJ (Reply 12):
Not sure I like this idea. Heathrow looks like it's pretty much owned by HSBC and I guess JFK will look much the same.

I don't think Americans who pass through will care all that much, actually. Most of them are used to their local sports arena being draped in the name and colors of some sponsoring entity, so in that context, I don't think this will be that big of a deal.

I think a good portion of the international community who utilize JFK will, in a way, enjoy the familiarity of HSBC signage, as HSBC is much larger outside the US than it is inside. So perhaps that is who HSBC is targeting--letting the passengers know that HSBC is on this continent, too.

Airwave  eyebrow 
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

pmg1704

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:02 am

It's too bad, all the gate advertising is so freaking ugly at LHR.

What's next, advertising on sheep?

commavia

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:05 am

(tongue-in-cheek)... if they made JFK look completely like LHR, they'd have to scrape half the paint off the walls, cover up all the windows so you can't see a single aircraft from the inside of the terminal, put water splotches on the ceiling and floors, and be sure to make everyone pass through at least two lavish shopping areas where directional signage is hidden among a lot of signs for World Duty Free, Costa Coffee and Burberry. And they won't tell you what gate your flight leaves from until about ten minutes before boarding, so as to keep you in the shopping mall until the last possible moment. Every cent of investment would go toward maintaining these shopping malls, while public areas like concourses, security checkpoints and gate lounges would be allowed to completely fall apart.

And don't forget, if we're going for that homey T3 look, we would also need to rip out 90% of the seats and not let people into the boarding area until 30 minutes before the flight departs!  Smile

planetime

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:08 am

Quoting Beany (Reply 4):
But even though the name suggest one thing, HSBC is a British Bank with its headquarters in Canary Wharf, London. In fact, its one of Britains biggest companies and one of the most profitiable.

The same as Citibank being an American bank but having offices and branches worldwide.

Yes HSBC is a British bank and is the 3rd largest bank in the world. Behind Citigroup(Citibank), and JP Morgan/Chase. BTW in terms of revenue Citigroup is far ahead of Chase and HSBC. Funny thing is that Chase and Citibank did not get this deal to paint JFK with their ads. Being that NY is home to both of them.

max999

Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:33 am

Quoting Commavia (Reply 21):
And don't forget, if we're going for that homey T3 look, we would also need to rip out 90% of the seats and not let people into the boarding area until 30 minutes before the flight departs! Smile

If BAA could park the planes right next to the LHR shopping malls, they would do so. That way, people would never, ever have to leave BAA's glorious temples of duty free retail shopping.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

richierich

Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:09 am

JFK has been rebuilding steadily over the last ten years and is becoming one of the best airports in the world. Even when Terminal 5 is finished, LHR will still be a horrible airport, because it's managed by an entity (BAA) who would rather be running shopping malls than airports.

This is a little hyperbole, isn't it?
Despite huge improvements over the past 10 years - and I do mean huge - JFK is a long way from being one of the "best in the world". There is still a lot of work to be done but the airport has definitely moved in the right direction and is currently my favorite of the three NYC airports. It will be even better when the T5 mess is completed and I like the mix of new, modern terminals and historic landmarks. Much better than bulldozing them! And when will AirTrain EVER get to midtown Manhattan (probably not in my lifetime!), because a direct connection is what was really needed. IMO, the current AirTrain is a gigantic improvement over the buses but it only does half the job and is very underused as a result.

As for LHR, it is truly a concrete jungle but I do not agree with your assessment. I think T5 will help LHR immensely in becoming a 21st Century facility but I don't feel that it is as bad as you make out. Some of the core problems are the fact that it is always busy, always jammed with people, and there are not enough gates to handle all the aircraft movements. Yet, somehow, it manages. The addition of T5 will not solve all problems at LHR but it will go A LONG WAY to reducing the gate congestion and space issues of the current setup.
None shall pass!!!!

Okie

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:21 am

tongue-in-cheek)... if they made JFK look completely like LHR, they'd have to scrape half the paint off the walls, cover up all the windows so you can't see a single aircraft from the inside of the terminal, put water splotches on the ceiling and floors,

checkmark 
you just forgot the buckets for the leaks and the caution signs.

Okie

planetime

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:28 am

One of the best airports???? Well maybe some of the terminals there are world class... such as Term1,4, and the new AA term when done. T-7 is simple and nice also, for some strange reason has a resemblence in my eye to LHR T-4. T 2,3,8 are really horrible terminals, well T-8 will be replaced soon. But Term 2,3 is real a horror show and need to be replaced. Specially if Delta wants to position itself with AA,CO in NYC.

heathrow

Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:57 am

right on!! I loved this part of Heathrow! Especially the phrases and pictures inside the jetbridges.

uclax

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:10 am

Out of curiosity, where in T7 is the photo in the NY times article taken?
...those who wait for the Lord�s help...rise up as if they had eagles� wings Isaiah 40:31

Mir

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:20 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 16):

Did you miss all the replies saying that HSBC is a British bank HQ'd in London....?

Ok, fine, British invasion. Simply unacceptable!  Smile

I don't like the HSBC ads at LHR or LGW, and I'm disappointed to hear that JFK has accepted to paint their jetways that way.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

DETA737

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:36 am

Well if it helps the port authority gain revenue I'm all for it, it's not the worst thing they have done. Doesn't LGW also have the HSBC ads too? I can't remember it's been a while since I've flown out of LGW.

HS748

Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:52 am

Quoting Beany (Reply 4):
HSBC = Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corp

No it doesn't. It used to, but it is now just plain HSBC which, officially, stands for nothing at all.

KJFK31L

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:04 am

Quoting DETA737 (Reply 30):
I can't remember it's been a while since I've flown out of LGW.

Do you mean LGA (LaGuardia). If so, yes, they do have HSBC advertisements

Matt
If it's not Boeing, I'm not going.

ba1978

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:22 am

I work for RBS, the UKs second biggest bank. It's usually their ads you find all over airport jetbridges. I remember the last time I went to New York, coming off the aircraft at JFK and been immediately reminded of work by a huge sign saying "RBS welcomes you to New York."

I know RBS have a specific division, RBS Aviation, devoted to aircraft and airline financing. That's why I believe they advertise at so many airports. Does anyone know if HSBC have a similar division?

http://blog.chosun.com/web_file/blog/133/4633/1/A380-frankfurt-airport.jpg
There are other ways and there's British Airways

StarGoldLHR

Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:35 am

HSBC Hong Kong and Shangai Bank was based in the BRITISH Territory of Hong Kong and Shanghai when BOTH locations were under British Juristiction. (not Chinese)... Yes was Shanghai under British control too for a short while.

HSBC was then listed in the British Territory of Hong Kong, during the remaining British Rule over Hong Kong until the mid-1990's.

When the British were leaving Hong Kong, HSBC wanted to REMAIN British.. and not become Chinese after the Hand over..

It duly bought the Midland Bank PLC in the UK and transfered its assets to the UK and lists as a British company in Britiain, instead of a British company in China.

(by comparison... one company which didnt do this was Cathay Pacific.. before 1997 it was British, after July 1st 1997 it was Chinese.. and the Aircraft duly re-registered as "B-" numbers and the company remains listed on the Hong Kong stock exchange), which is now Chinese, not British
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

babybus

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:32 am

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.  Wink

Shame that airports have to be covered in advertising.

With so much on your mind when you travel I doubt very few people can recall any adverts they saw on their journey. Most people can't remember what airline they flew or their gate number.
and with that..cabin crew, seats for landing please.

DETA737

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:35 am

Quoting Kjfk31l (Reply 32):

Do you mean LGA (LaGuardia). If so, yes, they do have HSBC advertisements

Matt

No I meant London Gatwick. I didn't realise that LaGuardia had HSBC adverts already.

FlyKev

Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:52 am

Im glad to see my bank is slowly taking over airports around the world... muhahaha.

Seriously, Im not that botehred by it at LGW. Then again, it covers up the cracks in the old buildings, in need of repair (whcih seems to be happening too!)
The white zone is for immediate loading and unloading of passengers only

Cleared2Land4

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:10 am

is that A380 pic in FRA
United Airlines... "It's Time to Fly."

lincoln

Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:52 am

Quoting Airwave (Reply 19):
I don't think Americans who pass through will care all that much, actually. Most of them are used to their local sports arena being draped in the name and colors of some sponsoring entity, so in that context, I don't think this will be that big of a deal.

[Ding!]Ladies and gentlemen, on behalf of your crew, welcome to The Bank Of America Jetcenter, (formerly known as John F Kenedy International Airport)...we'll be taxing to our gate for a few more minutes...

Sadly, I fear the day is not far off...
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

GVWOW

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:11 am

Humph... Maybe they should imitate ZHR instead. But I do like HSBC's ad with the grasshoppers.

wdleiser

Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:51 am

HSBC, one of the world's biggest banks, has signed a five-year deal with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey to be the exclusive advertiser � other than airlines � on the 108 jet bridges that link planes to the terminals at Kennedy.

LETS ALL LOOK CLOSELY.

It says OTHER THAN AIRLINES.

So airlines keep their advertisements/logos on their jetways.

COSPN

Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:44 pm

HSBC........

Also st NRT....Thought i was at LHR also  Smile

But does HSBC advertize on the HKG Jet Bridges ???

vtnyc

Thu Apr 27, 2006 11:29 pm

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 16):

Did you miss all the replies saying that HSBC is a British bank HQ'd in London....? smile

Nope!!!!!
 bigthumbsup 
First Flight, PA001 DEL-FRA-LHR-JFK; Dream- JFK-COK on a B6 787

Mir

Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:58 am

Quoting DETA737 (Reply 36):
I didn't realise that LaGuardia had HSBC adverts already.

Not on the jetways. But there are probably some inside the terminals.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos