Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

EGFF
Topic Author

Getting A Refund With Ryanair

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:13 pm

Hi Guys, i've been trying this morning to get a refund from Ryanair, they pulled out of the airport i've booked from (Cardiff) and already placed me on a Bristol flight which i cannot and don't want to be on.
I've been on the website and i've only found one number to call which i've been trying continuesely for the past hour only to be told after waiting everytime in the queue "your call cannot be completed at this time'
I'm not sure i'm on the right number either, has anyone else here had to get a refund or does anybody know where i can call or e-mail to sort this out?
I've re-booked my flights now with Aer Arran so just want the full refund.
On a side note, it also stated on the website that on the back of them pulling out of Cardiff all passengers that have flights booked and will therefore be affected will be contacted by e-mail and asked if they want to be transferred to a BRS flight, i have had no such e-mail and have just automatically been transferred to a BRS flight, which is an inconvenience plus it's a 7am flight which is rediculous.
Thanks in advance ...
Shaun

rootsair

RE: Getting A Refund With Ryanair

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:17 pm

I think you can only get a full refund on taxes

Regards

BM

Joost

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:19 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 1):

On their website, they state that they will offer full refunds:

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/news....r=06&month=apr&story=rte-en-250406

EGFF
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:23 pm

Hi BM, if that is the case then it's an absolute shit, the flight is actually a birthday present for my dad's birthday, he's always wanted to go to Ireland and i don't want to send him all the way to BRS to get the flight now (which at this present time he knows nothing about and won't know till a few days before) ... I was told yesterday that customers affected could chose from a refund or transfer, just word of mouth though and i'm totally unaware of what happens from here on in.
Looking for all information possible ...
Regards,
Shaun

EGFF
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:26 pm

Hi Joost, i've just read that article which you posted, it's nice of them to offer the refund with no contact number or any way of contacting them for this refund. I'll have to jump through loop holes now to try and get this i can just see it, nevermind ...

Shaun

N1120A

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:34 pm

Quoting RootsAir (Reply 1):

No way. Anytime there is this sort of material change, it is considered enough of a breach of the COC that they have to give a refund if you don't accept their alternate consideration.

TriStar500

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:38 pm

Shaun,

Have you already read thorugh the EU legislations in your case? You can find them here:

http://europa.eu.int/scadplus/leg/en/lvb/l24173.htm

N1120A

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:45 pm

Quoting TriStar500 (Reply 6):
Have you already read thorugh the EU legislations in your case? You can find them here:

Those are not the regulations that apply. Those are the denied boarding/delay/cancelation regulations, not ones regarding change of service. That is governed under other contract law.

EGFF
Topic Author

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:54 pm

I'm on the lines with you N1120A, i think in this extreme case in which they have totally pulled out and left me with no flight other than from an airport quite some distance away a full refund is necessary.
It stated in the article on there website about them pulling out that they 'refused' the new contract on behalf of there customers who they didn't want to pay extra for flights with them so therefore i think they have no alternative than to offer the full refund in this case.
I could be wrong though, this whole thing at the moment is alot to take in, ryanair are saying that it was the airports doing with that huge rise in airport fee's in the new contract but on the other hand i've heard from a friend at the airport that it wasn't all the airports doing and ryanair played there part with demands.
I'm not sure what to make of ryanair now and Mr O'Leary, i only heard a little while ago he was in disupte with the irish government over the pilot's legal flying hours and threatened to take his aircraft and register all of them somewhere in eastern europe with less strict laws on this subject?? *tutt tutt*

Shaun

LeonB1985

Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:57 pm

Some numbers taken from saynoto0870.com:

Customer services: +353 12497700 or +353 18121228

Head office: +353 18121212

Remember though, they are numbers for Ireland, so call via a discount call provider if you have one.

Skymonster

Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:51 pm

Quoting EGFF (Reply 8):
I'm not sure what to make of ryanair now and Mr O'Leary

Its easy - pay peanuts, get monkies. And Ryanair are the biggest monkies of all, and have been for some time.

Andy

EGFF
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:50 am

Andy, i've got too say, the flights didn't exactly cost peanuts to be honest, for the dates that i needed it didn't offer me much of a discount.
With booking the Aer Arran flights today they came to £80rtn for 2 PAX which in my opinion is very good  Smile

Shaun

BAxMAN

Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:20 am

Ryanair proudly claim to respond to all complaints within 7 days, so it's might be worthwhile dropping them a quick letter or a fax.

In your situation, not even Ryanair would be able to justify flicking you the bird as they would to virtually any other complaint/issue.

Quite how long it would take for your refund to be processed is anyone's guess. I wouldn't be surprised if it took several weeks before they took their finger out of their rectum and used it to press the 'refund' key.

sevenair

Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:51 am

Can't you just fill in the refund form on the web? You won't get your money back any quicker than hangin on the phone, and I'm not sure if that number is a pay number, but ordinary cust services cost you 10p a minute.

EGFF
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:07 am

Sevenair, i've looked right through the ryanair website and there is no form in which you can fill in to claim a refund. There are a few numbers i came across which i got no luck from, the one was 10p a minute, the other £1 a minute, it varies across the board.
I can honestly see this taking some time now to get my money back, i'm not expecting it to be refunded straight back to me tomorrow but it would be nice for it to be a simple and straight forward process just as it would taking something back to Tesco  Wink
Thank-you to everyone that's had an input to his post, your information is very much appreciated.
Regards,
Shaun

BDKLEZ

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:08 am

Quoting EGFF (Thread starter):
Hi Guys, i've been trying this morning to get a refund from Ryanair, they pulled out of the airport i've booked from (Cardiff) and already placed me on a Bristol flight which i cannot and don't want to be on.

Quoting EGFF (Thread starter):
On a side note, it also stated on the website that on the back of them pulling out of Cardiff all passengers that have flights booked and will therefore be affected will be contacted by e-mail and asked if they want to be transferred to a BRS flight, i have had no such e-mail and have just automatically been transferred to a BRS flight, which is an inconvenience plus it's a 7am flight which is rediculous.

Perhaps, they thought it would be best to book the space for you in advance of you actually making a decision about whether you wanted the BRS flights or not?

Regarding not wanting the BRS flights; relax, if they have subsequently advised that they will provide a refund then they will. Administrative processes take time.

Finally, about the email notification; check you're junk mail. Quite often, stuff from airlines that I get goes straight in there!

HS748

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:14 am

What's all the fuss about? Ryanair's website has a direct link to a page where passengers affected by this change can get a full refund.

star_world

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:14 am

Quoting EGFF (Reply 14):
Sevenair, i've looked right through the ryanair website and there is no form in which you can fill in to claim a refund.

This appears to be one: http://frd.ie/refweb.asp

EGFF
Topic Author

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:23 am

BDKLEZ, understandable that you side with the airline being an irishman  Smile
I maybe welsh but i did double check and triple check my e-mail inbox and junk mail as i also get alot of stuff that goes straight into the junk mail, i'm finding these days that the more interesting e-mails seem to slip into the junk area, shame.
You and i know of Ryanair's and Mr O'Leary's history, i've flown the airline on a number of occasions and have not had a problem but there is always a newspaper or web article in which ryanair are breaking rules or not doing as they should some way or another. One flight i did fly on though 2yrs ago HHN-STN, after a 10hr delay due to the aircraft going tech we finally got on the aircraft, and on arriving into STN we got a chance to go into the cockpit and the F/O told us that the aircraft shouldn't have flown as it had an engine problem, GPS problem and something wrong with the lights. That was on top of the F/O doing a 16hr day ... gotta love it.
I searched the internet earlier trying to find info on a refund and it gave me results from lawsuits in which people have filed against the airline, i don't quite want to take things that far, lol.
As for BRS, it's actually quite a fair way from Cardiff and the BRS airport itself isn't quite in Bristol, it's out the other side somewhere and it takes alot of time to get too, besides that it's a birthday present as i earlier stated and i dont want to send them all that way to catch a flight.

Shaun

BDKLEZ

Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:42 am

Quoting EGFF (Reply 18):
BDKLEZ, understandable that you side with the airline being an irishman

Ignorance is bliss, my friend; my reasoning is nothing to do with being Irish, but more to do do with having worked in the airline industry for 13 years with 3 different airlines.

Quoting EGFF (Reply 18):
You and i know of Ryanair's and Mr O'Leary's history

Yes, a more profitable business as the years have progressed.

Quoting EGFF (Reply 18):
One flight i did fly on though 2yrs ago HHN-STN, after a 10hr delay due to the aircraft going tech we finally got on the aircraft, and on arriving into STN we got a chance to go into the cockpit and the F/O told us that the aircraft shouldn't have flown as it had an engine problem, GPS problem and something wrong with the lights

I have only two words; ha ha!

If the aircraft should not have flown it would not have been allowed to fly. If the flight-deck crew had their doubts, why then did they actually fly the aircraft? I would suggest that you perhaps misunderstood something that was said. Why would the crew tell you about something critically wrong with the aircraft after having accepted it for a commercial fight?

Quoting EGFF (Reply 18):
That was on top of the F/O doing a 16hr day ... gotta love it

In the airline industry, days -12 hours are pretty rare for operational staff.

EGFF
Topic Author

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:01 am

Quoting BDKLEZ (Reply 19):
I have only two words; ha ha!

If the aircraft should not have flown it would not have been allowed to fly. If the flight-deck crew had their doubts, why then did they actually fly the aircraft? I would suggest that you perhaps misunderstood something that was said. Why would the crew tell you about something critically wrong with the aircraft after having accepted it for a commercial fight?

My friend i was with knew the F/O from a previous flight when he'd allowed him a few photo's in the flight deck, nothing was misunderstood, i know exactly what was said  Smile

BDKLEZ

Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:22 am

Quoting EGFF (Reply 20):
My friend i was with knew the F/O from a previous flight when he'd allowed him a few photo's in the flight deck,

So your friend who's also not crew (I'm assuming) had met the FO "at some stage before" when he was allowed to take a photo of the flight deck of the aircraft which this FO found himself operating at the time.

Now there's a solid basis for a trusting relationship if I ever saw one!

I repeat what I said above, in that if the crew had any doubt that the aircraft was in any way unserviceable, then they would not have accepted it for commercial revenue service!

If there was a defect with the aircraft, then the defect must be within certain limits as set by the manufacturer and the operator, in order for the aircraft to operate. If this is the case that there was in fact a defect with the aircraft, then it would have been decided that the defect was within those operational limits as set down and as such, and in such a state, would also render the aircraft perfectly acceptable for commercial revenue service.

It's really simply, if the crew had any doubt about the techinical serviceability of the aircraft, they would not have accepted to operate a revenue service. I again suggest either misunderstanding on your part, or possibly (and if this is the case, I'd be very pissed off!) a lot of bullshitting by the crew to someone who doesn't need to know any such information.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos